2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

KoutoufidesGhost said:
Fair enough. I wouldn't of said his 2009 season was anything spectacular (he wasn't poor by any means, but in the top 13 midfielders?), but if he made the squad last year, he'll definitely make the team this year as he's been fantastic.

Also, by 'breakout' season, I mean the point where they go from good, talented young player - dominating the occasional game, to All Australian contender - dominating almost every game. My example would be Marc Murphy, who had been a good player in his first three years, but 2009 was his first real stand out season. Despite kicking 30+ goals and getting a heap of the ball, he was left in the squad.

I know Pendlebury was a good player before this year, but this is the first year he's really dominated week in, week out (in my eyes anyway).
Pendlebury >>>>>>>>>>>>> Murphy. Last year, the previous year, this year & next year.
KoutoufidesGhost said:
Kicking more goals in a losing team as a better performance is a fallacy. Mark LeCras has had a good season, but should Stevie J suffer because Geelong has multiple avenues to goal, compared to West Coast's two (LeCras is the only avenue at the moment).
That's a ridiculous statement.

If I've got Ablett, Bartel, Chapman, Selwood, Corey, Kelly, Enright, Ling & Varcoe delivering the ball to me, it's just basic common sense to think that I'd boot more goals than if I were getting my ball from the likes of Priddis, Masten, Waters, Rosa, Dalziell, Strijk, Hurn & Ebert.

SouthSwans;18800064[B said:
]Pendlebury >>>>>>>>>>>>> Murphy. [/B]Last year, the previous year, this year & next year.

I reckon you're a better footballer than Murphy at times ;)

That's a ridiculous statement.

If I've got Ablett, Bartel, Chapman, Selwood, Corey, Kelly, Enright, Ling & Varcoe delivering the ball to me, it's just basic common sense to think that I'd boot more goals than if I were getting my ball from the likes of Priddis, Masten, Waters, Rosa, Dalziell, Strijk, Hurn & Ebert.

What happens when you have Podisadly, Mooney, Hawkins, Varcoe, Byrnes, Stokes, Chapman and Ablett to compete with for said ball delivery, compared to only Josh Kennedy for West Coast. Adding Ling to your list of deliverers is a bit of a stretch too.

West Coast have had over 900 inside 50s so far this year, with only two targets to kick at.

Not even going to bother with the first statement, that belongs on the bay.

There's no right way of looking at it. One one hand you have more quality forward to compete with. On the other hand you have more quality delivery from the midfield.

I dare say that in 06 Lynch not only had a superb midfield at his disposal but didn't have a huge amount of forwards to compete with. He really had the best of both worlds and 60 goals for a guy of his somewhat limited skill was a fantastic effort.

There's no right way of looking at it. One one hand you have more quality forward to compete with. On the other hand you have more quality delivery from the midfield.

I agree. The amount of rebuttles my two efforts at the AA team have copped amazes me sometimes, you'd think I actually was the selector.

Steve Johnson shades Mark LeCras in every area except goals, where LeCras has him by 8, or 0.1 per game. I prefer Johnson - doesn't make me right or wrong.

Thought id have a crack

B: Frawley Lake O'Brien
HB: Goddard Taylor Hodge
C: Pendlebury Hayes Boyd
HF: Didak Franklin Chapman
F: LeCras Riewoldt Johnson
R: Sandilands Ablett Swan
B: Goodes Judd Selwood Hall
Emg: Green Pavlich Montagna Enright

KoutoufidesGhost said:
Not even going to bother with the first statement, that belongs on the bay.
That's insulting.

May I ask why it belongs there?

What could've possibly led you to believe - other than bias - that Murphy is and/or was at any time, a better footballer than Pendlebury. Seriously!?

Every second kick of Murphy's is a turnover, Pendlebury is always sublime.

Murphy last year, Pendlebury this year. They both look like becoming champion players and while Pendlebury is miles ahead this year, Murphy could easily come back next year, with a proper preseason, and return to his brilliant 09 form.

Having said that I think Pendlebury's 2010 is just ahead of Murphy in 09.

B: Frawley Lake O'brien
HB: Goddard Taylor Chaplin
C: Selwood Hodge Cross
HF: Chapman Pavlich Didak
F: LeCras Riewoldt Hall
R: Sandilands Ablett Swan
INT: Boyd Pendleburry Green J.Bolton

Murphy last year, Pendlebury this year. They both look like becoming champion players and while Pendlebury is miles ahead this year, Murphy could easily come back next year, with a proper preseason, and return to his brilliant 09 form.

Murphy's certainly coming good at the right time of the season. I'd say both he and Gibbs have played their best two games this season in the last fortnight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy's certainly coming good at the right time of the season. I'd say both he and Gibbs have played their best two games this season in the last fortnight.
They have. While Murphy has been quiet compared to last year, he has still been pretty good considering the injury troubles early in the year.

Sounds like Kelly will make the official squad. Healy said he would be stiff to miss. I know he is only one of the selectors but it make sense that they would pick him because he plays for Geelong and has improved a hell of a lot. Almost wonder if he has been better than Bartel this season.

This last week could finally decide a few spots in the back half since it seems like such a close call. Enright, Deledio, Gilbert, etc. Enright not playing. What's the bet they do the cheap option and put both Goddard and Hodge on the half-back flanks to fit in more midfielders?

on last year Pendlebury was having a similar year to this year till he got injured against Sydney, that injury took him 4-5 weeks to fully recover and cost him AA last year

love doing this every year.
my first go at it:

B: C. Enright, B. Lake, J. Frawley
HB: B. Goddard, H. Taylor, L. Hodge (vC)
C: D. Swan, L. Hayes (C), G. Ablett
HF: P. Chapman, L. Franklin, A. Didak
F: M. LeCras, J. Riewoldt, B. Green
R: A. Sandilands, C. Judd, J. Selwood
Int: S. Pendlebury, B. Hall, B. Deledio, M. Pavlich
Em: L. Montagna, S. Johnson, M. Jamar

Stevey J's stats have been slightly better than Greens, but i think the superior delivery and support at Geelong, as well as some huge standout performances in big thrashings flatters his season somewhat.

Jamar as emergency because while Sandilands doesn't need a number 2, this is supposed to be a footy side and if the bean pole goes out, someone has to come in. Had him juuuust ahead of Mumford.

Hayes' leadership in the absence of Riewoldt, to lift the saints to hold onto a top 4 spot has been remarkable.

Pavlich's stats were very similar to Goodes', but i feel he's had a much more influential year for his club.

Open to calls of bias on Deledio.

Jack could be a sneaky chance for official squad now. Probably the best player in the comp over the last 4 weeks so if they stick to their recent form > early season form, he might grab a spot.

Griffen probably comes out of the squad now for Mundy or Cross. Maybe Thomas falls out as well.

Goodes didn't do enough to force his way in and Hall kicked 4 so that's probably enough. Malceski finally played well again after a quiet month but left it too late.

How did Gilbert go last night?

Jack could be a sneaky chance for official squad now. Probably the best player in the comp over the last 4 weeks so if they stick to their recent form > early season form, he might grab a spot.

Griffen probably comes out of the squad now for Mundy or Cross. Maybe Thomas falls out as well.

Goodes didn't do enough to force his way in and Hall kicked 4 so that's probably enough. Malceski finally played well again after a quiet month but left it too late.

How did Gilbert go last night?

Only 2 quiet games in a whole season says he deserves a recognition over half the fools that are being bandied around

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back