2010 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft- THE REAL DEAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Leunberger is still 21 isn't he? And Kreuzer?

At age 22 and pick 4 for one and pick 1 for the other you'd hope so. I was stirring a little bit in my posts leading up to here, I just found that not developing a ruck from 18 is seen as a reason why a ruck coaching team isn't up there rather odd when you consider that Sydney have had one of the strongest ruck divisions pretty consistently since about 2004. Surely it isn't all just the luck of getting players at the right time.

Two write ups to do - have been flat chat over the last 5 days.

Andrew Phillips DOB 3/7/91 Ht 201 Wt 91

Really doesn't get the wrap he deserves on BF - he was the third best ruckman at the Champs - and was not a long way behind Gorringe and Lycett.

He's a tap ruckman in that he uses his body well, times his leaps, and has the height to find the midfielders. He's a relatively smooth mover who reads the play really well, and will hurt you if you don't get body pressure on him.

Phillips' DC results were a surprise - he was quicker than I expected. Very slow over the first 5, but his 20m time isn't bad for a big boy. He's quick once he gets going.

Hasn't played for long in an elite junior program, so is still very raw - making his ceiling and potential for improvement pretty high.

Michael Hibberd – Frankston/ 186cm / 87kg

Played for Frankston in the VFL this year - and carved it up - playing mostly as a midfielder and as a HB. Is 21 but has a beautiful left foot, good hands in traffic, exceptional pace and attacks the ball hard. There's a bit of development left in him - and he'd slot straight into our senior side.

I see that, but Knightmare's statement was a general one. Currie hasn't become first string but he's 21. There's exceptions but how many 21 year old first string starting ruckmen are there?

At the moment my view is Sydney are the best at developing ruckman (general) in my view. We saw the development of Darren Jolly into a top 2 league ruckman. Shane Mumford has since joining Sydney taken another step forward in his development and would have to be a top 5 ruckman in the league now. Certainly wouldn't have been considered a top 10 league ruckman at Geelong. Hard to argue with that from x2 previously rookie picks. Other ruckman on the Sydney list are also developing nicely and could push for a spot on the lists of other teams in the way a Sam Jacobs might have last year if on the list with a weaker ruck division.

Before Sydney what Port Adelaide did in the early 00s with some of their ruckman was incredible. Possibly had the widest and most extensive range of AFL quality ruckman in recent memory with: Primus, Lade, Brogan and Barnaby French.

CARLTON-Beowulf

18-Matthew Watson
34-Reece Conca
42-Thomas Gordon
67-Zac Fitzgerald
70-Nathan Batley
86-David Ellard (Rookie upgrade)
99-Simon White ( " )
105-Jeff Garlett ( " )
I'm quite happy with these selections. Of the 5 live picks, I've gone with 3 KPPs, including the most likely lad to develop into what we need most, a Gorilla Killer Defender. The other 2 can play key forward or key defence and all of them are known for their kicking. This is a big plus with our present skills. :(

Of the 2 smaller guys, one is know for his hardness and inside play, while the other has x - factor and electric pace.

Of the 5 guys I selected I will be amazed if WH picks ANY of them. :eek:
This isn't because I've read what we need wrong; I think I would have agreement from most Carlton supporters out there.
However, WH and SR have their own way at looking at things.
[1] Their last live pick is usually very young and very speculative. While Batley is no old man, he probably is on the horizon of many teams and isn't speculative enough.
[2] WH likes his interstate boys with the first couple of picks. While Conca fits the bill, Watson definitely doesn't.
Not that WH doesn't lke the Cannons - he likes them a fair bit, but not usually for an opening pick.
[3] WH always picks 'best' with his opening pick, which means a midfielder more often than not. I think Watson is the best available, but will WH?

I am looking forward to draft day to see how things come out. And as it is now only a couple of days away, BRING IT ON!:footy::footy::footy:

At the moment my view is Sydney are the best at developing ruckman (general) in my view. We saw the development of Darren Jolly into a top 2 league ruckman. Shane Mumford has since joining Sydney taken another step forward in his development and would have to be a top 5 ruckman in the league now. Certainly wouldn't have been considered a top 10 league ruckman at Geelong. Hard to argue with that from x2 previously rookie picks. Other ruckman on the Sydney list are also developing nicely and could push for a spot on the lists of other teams in the way a Sam Jacobs might have last year if on the list with a weaker ruck division.

Before Sydney what Port Adelaide did in the early 00s with some of their ruckman was incredible. Possibly had the widest and most extensive range of AFL quality ruckman in recent memory with: Primus, Lade, Brogan and Barnaby French.
Don't forget Cain Ackland......:p

Don't forget Cain Ackland......:p

So he was too! Always associated him with St Kilda and Carlton being his final two clubs.

Played more than 50 games all up so he can be classed amongst this crop to be the 5th best ruckman of the group based on career achievements. That 01-04 period for Port Adelaide's ruck stocks was truely incredible!

After watching that video, I can see why you like him RoyalEagle. He seems to read the play extremely well which I love in a defender (it's one of the reasons I'm so keen on Watson, despite the speed queries). And the way he attacks his marks is very Taylor-esque...in fact he's also copied Harry in the way he carries the ball while running, then lowers it as he takes a step the other way and changes his mind on which direction he's going to send the pass off in...it's almost uncanny. Have you got any more info on his testing stats?

After the footage, he's probably worth a higher pick than I thought (particularly given how the defensive stocks in the draft fall off after Watson & McCarthy)...my only criticism of you taking him at 23 was and still is the fact that our needs dictate we MUST come out of this draft with one of Prestia/Green/Andreoli/Cripps/I Smith (or B Smith if he falls to 23 but he won't) because our midfield (and team overall) is so slow, and we'll see how the mock unfolds, but I fear they'll all be gone by 36. So if we took Caddy, then Chalwell, and were forced to then take an inside mid at 36, it would be quite a bad draft for us from a structural point of view IMO.

But that said, all credit to you for picking outside the box...I like that in phantoms because it's gutsy.

Pure, Tyler had great test results. Height went to 193, beep 14.6 ( 3rd best at Wa Combine) 88 cm running leap equalled vest from canberra I think. 20m sprint was 3.01 agility i believe was good.

Pure, Tyler had great test results. Height went to 193, beep 14.6 ( 3rd best at Wa Combine) 88 cm running leap equalled vest from canberra I think. 20m sprint was 3.01 agility i believe was good.

James Craig had those kind of results and this did not push him into the top few rounds. If clubs can clearly see his potential as a back, then I think he may go high enough, if they view him as a jack of all trades, it could push him down the list.

Hep/Gaff/Polec i can understand just ahead of Caddy. Maybe even Atley and Smetdes.
Lynch and Gorr i can understand based on needs.
But seriously Darling/Harper/McCarthy over Caddy?
Im no expert, but ask any expert and these 3 guys wouldnt even come close to being more valuable than Caddy. Its a joke mate.

Interestiing looking back now.

Good work Knightmare - you got Hawthorn's first round pick exactly right.

Not a problem Pharaoh.

Didn't intend to get the pick right, but went with the guy I felt would be a great fit into your side and felt he really screamed "finals player".

I think this kid will win a couple of big games for the Hawks and be a really nice surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft- THE REAL DEAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back