WESTERN BULLDOGS-Axel

22-Mitchell Wallis (Father-son)
41-Tom Liberatore (Father-son)
74-Luke Dahlhaus MISS
89-Brodie Moles (Rookie upgrade)
90-Andrew Hooper ( " )
109-Jordan Treloar MISS
112-Cameron O'Shea HIT

This draft order was amended to "live" picks (to match available roster spots).

Geelong had 58 & 59....and Adelaide had 62.
Geelong rookie elevation of Podsiadly acounted for one pick and the other was not usable (no roster space left), hence, after "live" pick adjustment, Adelaide's 62 became 61.

(Clear as mud I suspect...best I can do this late)

ps we would welcome Seb with open arms up here.... (well I would anyway)
Ahhhh, cheers mate.:thumbsu: And I know for a fact that Brisbane and Sydney were the first two clubs to show real interest in him, and make the effort to have a talk to him. Wall-e has him bolting into top 15 calculations though, so he might not even make Sydney or Brisbane's picks. It is going to be very interesting to say the least.

COLLINGWOOD REVIEW

Overall Draft

Be interested in what the others thought but I think the talent drops at about 25-30 and then flattens and to be fair I think you will see more players than normal who are selected post 50 have successful AFL careers. I think you will also see a huge amount of variation in what happens to what we think will happen.

My Players

Daniel Farmer - this was the bloke I wanted all along. I think Fasolo was available and he made the choice hard but Farmer reminds me so much of ROK I couldnt go past him. I also thought about Young / Crocker. I know there are some knocks on Crocker but he has a couple of very draftable attributes.

Alex Johnson - Someone who came up my rankings after I did my mock. His flexibilty and agility are big plusses and with Chalwell gone it was between he and Menagola. Seen more of Johnson and I think he could play anywhere up the spine.

Matthew Rankine - Was between he and Crocker and Crocker missed again. Rankine will either make it in a big way or he wont. He is well worth the punt. If YOung had lasted I would have taken him here. Also thought about Browne but was waiting for the next pick.

Jordan Schroder - Was best available given Browne had gone. If Schroder wasnt there I would have hit Hibberd or Zephi here.

Zephi Skinner - Gosh I want this kid to play for our FC. If he wasnt there I would probably have hit Jack Frost.

Well done to all the posters and most importantly to the Mods which help us out. Vader, Tarquin, BTG really appreciate it.

Axel's time is up Chris so feel free to go.
Under the Tarquin formula he gets O'Shea.

PICK 112-WESTERN BULLDOGS-Cameron O'Shea (Eastern Ranges)

Sorry mate, had computer problems, didn't have access to the net, otherwise would have had a go, not sure if this is allowed or not, but I'll post it anyway.

Pick 112: David Kruse
DOB: 23/01/92, Height: 190cm, Weight: 74kg
Club: Wanderers (NT)

Bio: David is a very athletic and quick rebounding tall defender who can play on tall or small. He provides great run and carry when rebounding the fifty and loves to take the opposition on. When he has the ball he always seems calm and never rushed and that leads to him making great decisions. He needs to work on his fitness and with that he can develop his game as a third tall or as a midfield and provide the side with flexibility.

I definitely agree about the depth and level of talent in this draft pool. I'd have around a top 30 or so, and then after that there are bunch of players who could go anywhere from 30 to the rookie draft. KPPs is an issue for mine, and it does seem to be lacking a bit.

The majority of the taller defenders seem better suited to being third talls or rebounding players, as opposed to being big FBs or CHBs. While after Day, Darling, Lynch and Cook, the key forwards leave a bit to be desired. Guys like Savage and Chalwell who might usually have just been rookie options, might find themselves going earlier based on potential rather than performances.

As for my draft....

Jed Lamb - he was #10 on my list, so obviously didn't even consider anyone else here. Is the best kick in the draft, is versatile and has real x factor.

Jimmi Savage - a personal favourite, and his potential is right up there with the first round prospects. Considered Steinberg, Fasolo and Young here, but I think Savage could prove to be the best of who was left.

Tim Milera - another exciting player, and probably the best small forward on offer. Has worked really hard this year and it should pay off.

Aaron Mullett - was lucky to get him here and he is a real classy player. Can play both inside and outside, and it wouldn't surprise if he played early.

Gavin Roberts - another extremely skilled player, and even more importantly he is very quick. Could see him playing off a wing, before eventually moving into the square. Considered Jarryd Lyons for a pure ball winner, but decided speed and skill was more important.

David Kruse - best available, and could be a real bargain. Doesn't really have the body to play as a KPD but has enough versatility to play on smalls and talls, while his elite skills could see him play up the ground.

Apart from my own draft, I really like Melbourne's draft. All four of those players featured in my top 25. Fasolo and Young were absolute bargains.

PORT ADELAIDE REVIEW

Overall Draft

I really thik this draft is 'open'. So many playes that divide opinion and can fall in a band of 20+ picks. For that reason I think it will be great to watch the selections in the 8-30 range, not to mention the post 40 picks.

Thanks to grub and Snoop for organising this, Vader, Tarquin BtG for sorting all the mess and helping out, all the participants for letting my players slide (jk) and to everyone who watches and keeps everyone on their toes with questions.

My Players

Dion Prestia - You could have your head well and truely in the sand and you'd be well aware I rate this kid highly. I would have been torn if Caddy fell one more pick as I think he suits the specific type of mid the Power would want, but I would have gone Dion. Forget his height, gun. Also considered Lycett, whom I think the Power will take in the real dealio.

Mitch Hallahan - Perfect for what the Power want, they'd be dead set wrapped to get this kid in the second round, but you never know, players slide. Terrific leader and will give you 100% in the trenches every game. Considered Anderoli and Farmer (good take Snoop, he's luconic, but silky) here, but Hallahan suits the Power more.

Seb Tape - Won't be here come draft day, and I think the Power wouldn't even have a shot at him with their first. Mr Fix-it. Incredibly smart, with tantelising athletic gifts. HBF/3rd tall to start out, but Goddard him up and let him loose long term. Will go a lot higher than people are thinking imo.

Dan Nicholson - A lot of developement left in this kid and there's some real interest around him. Natural line breaker with some deficiancies, but too much upside and promise to let go, won't make the RD (imo). Considered Milera, Elliott and Gray.

Wall-e, while I agree with you that Lycett looks like he will be selected by Port, you still cleaned up nicely in the draft. I would not be shocked to see most of your picks selected higher than where they managed to slide here.
Prestia, it is always hard to forget about a players height, they always manage to drop a little lower than expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, a lot easier to reach on a player with height than without.

That said, I'm very happy with that lot, would love that lot at Adelaide....

That lot suits the Crows perfectly, I just still think that Port Adelaide really need a developing ruck option and they will struggle to pass on Lycett if he falls to their pick.

Not sure the Lobbe experiment has worked out and they may have to bite the bullet again.

Hawthorn:

#19-HAWTHORN-Isaac Smith 30/12/88 187,75 (North Ballarat)

#38-HAWTHORN-Patrick Karnezis 23/04/92 191,80 (Oakleigh Chargers)

#55-HAWTHORN-Blayne Wilson 26/01/92 188,87 (Peel Thunder)

#66-HAWTHORN-Sam Crocker 12/03/92 178,71 (Oakleigh Chargers)

#87-HAWTHORN-Michael Hutchinson 14/01/91 189,75 (Aspley)

Hawthorn summary:

Elected to go for some more immediate, complimentary players with a slight focus on speed and hurt factor as well as some high upside projects who could develop into special players.

Could have added some KPPs or ruckman but didn't see any appropriate fits I was super keen on so instead I elected to go with players I think will be good fits for this team.

Isaac Smith: Starting to sound like Smith might go a little earlier in the draft with Geelong expected to take him with their first selection. If Smith lasted till Hawthorn I think he would be a really nice immediate player who would inject allot of speed. Might not be someone who could play from round 1, but certainly 15 games could be realistic which would be a great return. Has great upside despite being a few years older and if he can develop consistancy on his long kick he could be a really, really dangerous finals type player on a wing. Risky type pick early, but if you want to win premierships sometimes you have to take risks because Smith is such an unknown quantity.

Patrick Karnezis:
Tall forward who comes from a soccer background. Really like those from different sporting backgrounds. Karnezis I think might be a little better than many expect him to be in his 1st year. I think he would be suited to a high half forward position and could be a really nice creator who could push deep into the forward and also provide a strong target. Slips into space without the opposition noticing much of the time. So if a Franklin/ Roughead go on a lead I think Karnezis could be quite dangerous coming back towards goal to provide an alternate target. At this stage I feel he represents outstanding value and again I don't expect him to be available at this stage on draft day. Could be in the 1st round mix.

Blayne Wilson:
Was an U18 AA player in 2009 but by his standards had a slightly off year. Another pretty immediate player who is physically ready to go. Beautiful kick who would look really good kicking out of defence. Hard to know where he will go in the draft if at all, but I think he will turn out fine and be a very good pro.

Sam Crocker: I was really excited to get Crocker here and I thought he represented superior value. Could be a really dangerous player on a forward flank. But also has the ability to play other positions. The thing that stands out about Crocker is his left foot kick which Hawthorn as we all know have a fetish for. Has penetration and is accurate over any distance. Crocker is also a very good athlete and is a strong mark overhead for someone of his size. Not soft.

Michael Hutchinson:
I think this final pick might be a PSD pick, but I really like Hutchinson and think as a project half back flanker that he could be a really good pickup for the Hawks. Has great speed and is very strong overhead. From a soccer background, but I see allot of upside in the Queenslander. I have a feeling he might be a good rookie pick for a club who take a chance on him.

Summary: Overall I feel these primarily outside players will really compliment Hawthorn's inside players and inject allot of speed and enthusiasm to make Hawthorn a genuine contender. Smith in particular I think could take Hawthorn over the edge and really inject something special into this team. Real finals player who I think could be a match winner in a finals team which Hawthorn will no doubt be. The others could play anywhere from 0-5 games realistically, but I think they all have the potential to be real finds.

that would be an excellent draft for us Knightmare

I.Smith fast winger and some pace for our midfield and the fact he is an attacking runner of the ball is a huge bonus

P.Karnezis a developing full forward, has some good qualities, would rather harper or johnston here but good kid

B.Wilson a decent defender is a solid pick

S.Crocker i rate him highly, will play well in midfield or running defender, more pace and smarts

M. H utchinson don't know much about this 1?

that would be an excellent draft for us Knightmare

I.Smith fast winger and some pace for our midfield and the fact he is an attacking runner of the ball is a huge bonus

P.Karnezis a developing full forward, has some good qualities, would rather harper or johnston here but good kid

B.Wilson a decent defender is a solid pick

S.Crocker i rate him highly, will play well in midfield or running defender, more pace and smarts

M. H utchinson don't know much about this 1?

Harper wasn't available even at my first selection, no chance he lasts till your second round selection on draft day. Just such a talented kid. Would have loved him at 19 though, but he went allot earlier which was no surprise.

Karnezis isn't so much a full forward. More a developing tall who could play some minor KPF minutes, but for mine looks best on a forward flank. I think in combination with Franklin and Roughead he might look really interesting and add a different element in attack as a creative tall who can push up the ground from the half forwardline but also push towards goal and be another target. Has the smarts to work into space, so with backlines so Buddy+Roughy focused I think he could be a good, yet unconventional fit if you can get the chemistry of those right.

Hutchinson is a Queenslander from a soccer background. Late convert to AFL. Looked really promising during the champs. A year older than this years draft class, but the upside is there.

Has a nice combination between speed and endurance. Has a great leap. Very good all round athlete really, just needs to put on a fair bit of size. Can run and carry the ball out of defense. Very good mark for his size.

Skills can still get better, but again not aweful and can kick ok on both sides pretty comfortably. Also once he learns to read the play a little better I think he could be a really handy player. Probably one of the other areas he needs to put a bit of time into, but that will come.

Probably at this stage is considered more of a rookie selection, but he is one of those guys who might go as a rookie who I think could develop into a an AFL level player which from a late pick is what you are generally trying to do.

The one thing I did overlook was a crumbing forward and if the appropriate one was available I probably would have taken one. But it might be possible to get an ok one in the rookie draft. Also I hear Hawthorn have a little faith in Taylor Duryea who was taken last year. So I didn't put unnecessary value on a small forward.

# 111 (COLLINGWOOD)
Zephi Skinner - NT Thunder / 189cm / 78kg

PROFILE: I will admit it.......I have a 'man crush' on this kid. Been following him all year and it is a shame many of you wont have seen footage of Zephi.

Zephi (20yo) is an incredible talent and to give you a sense of it he has been playing Ruck for NT Thunder and is only 189cm. Saw him ruck againt Putt and Hickey and even though they are both 200cm he regularly outleapt them! Also played on a wing and across HF which is ultimately where I think he will settle at AFL level. Has amazing agility, havent seen his vertical leap results but they will have been huge, he is quick and his left foot is a weapon. Also knows how to kick a goal so presents really well as a Wing / HF type that will be incredibly difficult to match up on.

QAFL team of the Year Member and won the QAFL Rising Star award by a 'country mile' and that is no mean feat when you consider the field included Tom Hickey, Tom Bell, Joel Wilkinson and Todd Grayson the ex Lion (past winners have been guys like Gilbert, Bail, Pask, Armitage so it aint a bad formline). Hasnt received a heap of attention but is very much on the radar of 5-6 clubs so wouldnt be at all surprised to see him land in the National or Rookie Draft. The issue for him will be getting a club to believe that he can transition those talents and his ability to do the 'freakish' things to AFL Level. If we dont get to see him then we have been robbed of seeing one of the most amazingly talented kids I have seen in some time. this kid is better than Jurrah IMO. From all reports the kid is a treat to be around and the coaching staff of the Thunder cannot speak highly enough of him.

Trained with the Doggies last year and unfortunately Doggies may end up rueing the 'one that got away'.

In my mock I had him as a zoned NT player and my understanding is that as yet Suns havent confirmed him (if they have I will change the selection).

Others considered: Look he was best available and just went with him. We need some tall defenders but I would be looking at a couple in the rookie draft who i think are good but under rated. Couple of them are 19/20yo's as well.

This bloke will be a cult hero wherever he goes. Seen him a fair few times up here and he brings the crowds to the games. Freak of nature, can do just about anything, super talented player always kicking goals as well.

Steve Taubert. Best ruck coach in the league, hands down.

and in what way does this comment prove this to be correct.

Nice statement but the origonal part of the conversation was Sydney are the best at developing 18yo rucks.

No one has yet come up with an 18 yo they have drafted that they have developed into a good ruckman.

and in what way does this comment prove this to be correct.
In a "the sky is blue" kind of way.
Nice statement but the origonal part of the conversation was Sydney are the best at developing 18yo rucks.

Was it? I thought just development of rucks generally. You're the one who bought 18 year olds into it. Darren Jolly was a squad ruck at best at Melbourne, Ball put out some of the best years in the ruck he had when he was supposed to be slowing down and Pyke was a union player

No one has yet come up with an 18 yo they have drafted that they have developed into a good ruckman.
Do rucks have to start developing at 18?

In a "the sky is blue" kind of way.

Was it? I thought just development of rucks generally. You're the one who bought 18 year olds into it. Darren Jolly was a squad ruck at best at Melbourne, Ball put out some of the best years in the ruck he had when he was supposed to be slowing down and Pyke was a union player

Do rucks have to start developing at 18?

The discussion to which you responded was about Sydney potentially drafting Lycett - an 18 yo ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft- THE REAL DEAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back