2010 Sydney Swans Drafting Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

He holds the AFL draft combine record for the beep test. I think he's one of the fittest players in the competition.
McVeigh's record of 15.6 just got broken by Hayden Hector 15.7

i really want us to get josh green from tas! saw him play in the under 18 champs a couple of years ago as a bottom age, and he was a gun.

Not sure what to make of it but there's a photo of Stuey interviewing Ben Jacobs on day one. It may mean nothing but players who are given a 'good chance' of being drafted are only interviewed by 6-7 clubs.

He's listed as a medium defender that can play midfield as well. Ranked 5th in the kicking test and 4th in the running vertical jump. This could be a 'best available' pick option rather than a specific need if we are interested.

Not sure what to make of it but there's a photo of Stuey interviewing Ben Jacobs on day one. It may mean nothing but players who are given a 'good chance' of being drafted are only interviewed by 6-7 clubs.

He's listed as a medium defender that can play midfield as well. Ranked 5th in the kicking test and 4th in the running vertical jump. This could be a 'best available' pick option rather than a specific need if we are interested.

Just saw a clip of him, reminds me of Malceski.

That was Roos' speciality - making players and teams into something more than they or anyone ever believed they could be. He realised it wasnt about individuals, but about working towards something as a team. You had to fit the team structures and style, otherwise it just didnt work - it would fall in a heap and we would get trounced, because we cannot match many teams for sheer skill and athleticism alone.

Why do it the hard way though? Why draft "plodders" and have to extract every ounce out of them to win when you can draft class acts and win when they aren't quite perfect.

Look at St Kilda, they are employing a similar philosophy to us only they are doing it with genuine stars and they look capable of sustaining it for a few more years yet and possibly winning a couple of flags. I love what our club is about but there is no reason to use first round picks on role players. If you want a tagger pick one up off the rookie list or late in the draft, the 1st round is to get guys who can force their will on a game and right now we need KP and outside types that can do that.

Agree we have the inside covered, Jack and Kennedy should have that covered for the next 6 years now as a Selwood and Ablett type.

I also contest that we didn't have stars. I would have said that Kirk, Hall, Goodes, ROK and Bolton were all elite at their positions and that Kennelly, Williams, Ball, Micky O and Barry were all very good at the least.

I agree we shouldn't target an excessive amount of ********s or anything like that, but I don't agree with drafting guys because they are typical of our side, we need guys to compliment what we have not more of what we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumour has it we talked quite extensively to Reece Conca at the combine and were extremely impressed.

Terrific news if true

Can't say that I'm convinced Reece Conca should be our 1st pick, from all reports he seems to be a good level headed kid and quick but his disposal looks inefficient and only averages 18 touches a game.
I'm really impressed with Ben Jacobs, got a great kick and can play back/forward or mid!:thumbsu:

Listening to AFL.com radio, Swans put up pick 39 to try and get Tom Liberatore off the Dogs but they matched it with their 2nd pick (40) so they will get him as a father-son pick.

Listening to AFL.com radio, Swans put up pick 39 to try and get Tom Liberatore off the Dogs but they matched it with their 2nd pick (40) so they will get him as a father-son pick.
There's an unwritten agreement that the club with the pick just before the club with the father-son prospect will bid it, so no surprise to see us doing the honours there.

Myles Sewell

This bloke is absolutely tearing it up in the VFL. Has attracted a lot of interest over the past year or two and there is a few rumours floating around that we are showing some interest along with Carlton and Geelong.

He is the younger brother of Brad Sewell so Hawthorn could also be in position to draft him too. He was a late developer but is showing very good signs that he can cut it at AFL level, you could maybe say that he's the next Michael Barlow. He did beat Barlow in 2009 for the JJ Liston award ( best VFL player)

He's a midfielder with pace so it's just what we are looking for. 21 years of age so plenty of room to improve.

Re: Myles Sewell

Would be pretty surprised if he didn't end up at GC to be honest.

While looking at rookie options, Nathan Phillips from The Mighty South Fremantle is most worthy of a selection.
Can kick off either foot, with aplomb, feisty and loves a goal. A winner of the coveted WJ hughes medal, the only award in WA footy held in higher regard than the Sandover.
Turns 24 next year, so is ready to go and knows his footy, especially after getting the almost mandatory knee recon out of the way.
This is exactly the type of footballer who would excel at the September Swans!

Can't say that I'm convinced Reece Conca should be our 1st pick, from all reports he seems to be a good level headed kid and quick but his disposal looks inefficient and only averages 18 touches a game.
I'm really impressed with Ben Jacobs, got a great kick and can play back/forward or mid!:thumbsu:

Mate don't know where you get your information from ?

But Reece Conca kicking is not inefficient at all, he his high class kick that rarely ever misses his target.

His kicking to a leading foward target is outstanding.

My information is he is very very high on your list for a first round pick.

He is also a natural leader, and outstanding smart young kid.

He has also played a'lot of senior WAFL footy for a very shit Perth side and played very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Sydney Swans Drafting Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back