2010 Sydney Swans Drafting Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he from St.Kilda?

I would like us to draft a Saints player, the reaction from Bedders would be priceless. :p

Something tells me that bedford wouldn't mind us poaching players off the scum so long as they're not Milne or Kozi. I think it's when players go the other way he gets pissed off. I wouldn't say no to Goddard or Hayes.

McCarthy, Darling and Tape

No, not my solicitors, but 3 names put up by AFL.com suggesting we will go for height and/or defenders. Have no idea about these guys and was wondering:

a: will they still be available at 21(Tape will be)
b: is AFL.com talking out of it's bum
c: if they are still available at 21, who do we go for, or
d do we tartget someone else?

have pasted a write up from Knightweelqr's phantom, u may have read it. Personally I have no clue coz i know little about them so if u can shed some light...

– Patrick McCarthy (SA)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 11/03/1992
Recruited from: Glenelg
Style: Grant Birchall/ Ben Reid
Range: 7-20
Why: Key position defender. Clean hands and feet. Provides some run out of defence. Displays real leadership and could later on be captain material. Hasn’t always played as a backman and was once a ruckman so I see allot of development still once he learns the position. Has a skinny frame but he should add to that with time. One criticism of McCarthy when I have seen him down back is that he has the feel of an oversized half back flanker in the way Grant Birchall does for Hawthorn. Maybe when he develops more physically hopefully he can turn into something more like Collingwood’s Ben Reid.

Jack Darling (WA)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 16.6.1992
Recruited from: Sacred Heart College
Style: Jonathan Brown (undersized)/ Aaron Hamill
Range: 4-31
Why: Strong marking forward. The standout feature of his game is his 2nd and 3rd efforts along with his quality forward pressure. Reads the play well. Strong mark overhead and has a thumping left foot and is a big bodied readymade KPF who could easily play from season 1. Has questions about his attitude. Possibly an early bloomer considering he hasn’t really developed this season. At his height it is questionable whether he will grow anymore, indications point to no because he hasn’t grown since the 2009 U18 champs. Tackles hard and aggressively. Bit of a body on body player, so with the step up it’s hard to say how he will cope again because of his lack of height. Good ball user. Likes the contest. If anything he could eventually become a mid despite having played juniors as a forward. One of the more interesting players in this draft in many regards. Was a highly rated junior, but hasn’t continued his form this season. Could become a star, or could become a big time bust. But whatever he becomes a club will take a chance, and he is really one of the great unknowns of this draft in many regards.

Tape is being "phantomed" 2nd round

So anyway, i was a little bored and thought I'd do a thread. I'd prefer a quick midfielder, but then I'm not an AFL.com expert.

Re: McCarthy, Darling and Tape

a)

McCarthy? I highly doubt he'll slide past top 15. No chance he slides out of the top 20.

Darling is a problem as no-one knows how highly he's rated. He could slide or he could go top 10. I don't actually want him. He projects as a huge "boom or bust" pick and given our history with 1st rounders, thats not a good option.

Tape would be my pick for some added height at 39. Not a boom or bust and should be readily available.

b) Sorta/Kinda. We need forwards more then backs, but I'm guessing you can't deny that the big men in this class, especially defenders, is deep enough to pick a gun up later.

c) None. Tape at 39 for our talls, or if he's taken, another kid called Litherland. My Bet is we get Reece Conca at 21. Kinnear name dropped him, and we talked extensively with him at the combine.

Kieran Harper from what i have read and seen on u tube would be the player i would like to recruit but according to this story he will go somewhere between 10 and 15 so seems unlikely. When you consider how hard we are supposed to have pushed for Sherman the number one target must be a quick mid preferably with good disposal.

My concern with darling would be his record over the last couple of years, wasnt he attacked by someone outside a night club and the whole school camp controversy even though they dont sound like his fault or too serious its a lot to have happened to an 18 year old. {These may not have happened to him and may be about another player but from memory i think it was him}.

two draftees that afl.com.au have put up for sydney are Reece Conca(versatile) or Jack Darling(KPF), wouldn't mind drafting one of them.

Drafting discussing this year is really difficult because we have such a bad first pick and we really don't know who the Gold Coast will go for as they need players in every position. Last year we pretty much knew who we would get for pick 6 and the year before that we had a good idea that we would pick up Lewis Johnston but this year we don't have a clue who we will end up with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merge with drafting thread.

With Tape if slips to 39 we will take him 100% but it's paying overs if we use Pick 21 for him so we have to hope he does a Sammy Reid.

If Darling were to slide to our pick, how keen would the rest of you be to take him? I'm a little concerned about what I've heard about him, regarding his work ethic and small scope for improvement. Frankly, if both he and Conca are available, I'd be much happier with Conca.

Also, the more I hear about Tape, the more I like the sound of him. He's the kid in the draft (that we might actually be able to get) that I want most at this point.

If Darling were to slide to our pick, how keen would the rest of you be to take him? I'm a little concerned about what I've heard about him, regarding his work ethic and small scope for improvement. Frankly, if both he and Conca are available, I'd be much happier with Conca.

Also, the more I hear about Tape, the more I like the sound of him. He's the kid in the draft (that we might actually be able to get) that I want most at this point.

If he's there, we take Darling. No need to go any further. The kid's a gun.

Look out for a bloke named Nathan Wilson to be drafted with one of your late / rookie draft picks.
Has apparently been rung by the club and will be picked up, so they told him not to do anything stupid before the draft.
Medium height, strong grab, pacey and a big kick

The reason i say late is that he reckons he may be allowed to stay at Peel Thunder (in Mandurah, WA) next year and have a crack ar moving over to Sydney the year after.

Conca. I like saying the name Conca. It's a name you can say over and over and it's like music to your ears. Conca...Conca...Conca... Don't like Darling.

Look out for a bloke named Nathan Wilson to be drafted with one of your late / rookie draft picks.
Has apparently been rung by the club and will be picked up, so they told him not to do anything stupid before the draft.
Medium height, strong grab, pacey and a big kick

The reason i say late is that he reckons he may be allowed to stay at Peel Thunder (in Mandurah, WA) next year and have a crack ar moving over to Sydney the year after.

You got the wrong Sydney mate.

He was invited to the draft combine by GWS as a potential 17 year old pre listed pick this year.

Will have been told by GWS that they are taking him as one of their 10 but he can stay in WA for another year if he wants to.

Had a look at some of his footage, moves real well and while he has a strange kicking action it looks to be very economical the way he drops the ball onto his boot.

DST
:D

You got the wrong Sydney mate.

He was invited to the draft combine by GWS as a potential 17 year old pre listed pick this year.

Will have been told by GWS that they are taking him as one of their 10 but he can stay in WA for another year if he wants to.

Had a look at some of his footage, moves real well and while he has a strange kicking action it looks to be very economical the way he drops the ball onto his boot.

DST
:D
Dumb shit said it was Sydney, guess i got the message wrong :eek:
Carry on haha

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Sydney Swans Drafting Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back