Opinion 2010 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

watson is a poor user of the ball, i trust the experts to judge what a contested footy is.
Myth - Watson remains the number 1 playmaker in the competition. Playmaker is defined as starting a chain of possesions that lead to a goal. In others words - creating opportunities for your team.

It is reasonable to say that many stats are meaningless. Some players pick up many cheap disposals on the backline or being out on your own or with the give and go. However Watson doesn't get these (cause he's not quick enough) but what he does do regulalry as this stat shows is set our team up!!

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_rankings?yr=2010&sp=SE&rt=LT&fc=E14

BTW I am not comparing Watson to Ablett.

Could it be due to your ranking system? I'm imagining that with a consistent performance, such as, say, Watson or Boyd, a bad game by their standards would rarely rate lower than a 6, but a good/great game a 9. The likes of Hall and Milne though, will generally either rate brilliantly (8-9) or poorly (2-3) by nature of their positions.
Exactly. I scrapped the rankings last week, so see where I can put guys like Milne and Hall. Fev is another, he has struggled a bit this season but is close to leading the Coleman.

And if Milne's unlucky to make the 50, I don't even have an adjective to describe what he is for not making Team of the Week. :p
It was a good round for small forwards. Betts was unlucky not to make the team as well. Ballantyne was one of the best players for Freo. Dick likewise for Collingwood. They all played well on the weekend.

lol at Team Mo's post.

Exactly. I scrapped the rankings last week, so see where I can put guys like Milne and Hall. Fev is another, he has struggled a bit this season but is close to leading the Coleman.

Was going to mention Fev too, but didn't want to come off as ablett09esque. :p

Would you have Fev in the top 50? I guess he always seems like he is out of form because he is a burst player.

Fev's probably the hardest player to place in the AFL right now. He hasn't really had an amazing game for the Lions, yet he's continually been able to hit miracle goals from nowhere, and has been consistently (beyond this week) getting 3 goals a game minimum with some of the most horrific displays of forward 50 entry this side of West Coast.

If he's in the 50, it's not by much.

Myth - Watson remains the number 1 playmaker in the competition. Playmaker is defined as starting a chain of possesions that lead to a goal. In others words - creating opportunities for your team.

It is reasonable to say that many stats are meaningless. Some players pick up many cheap disposals on the backline or being out on your own or with the give and go. However Watson doesn't get these (cause he's not quick enough) but what he does do regulalry as this stat shows is set our team up!!

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_rankings?yr=2010&sp=SE&rt=LT&fc=E14

BTW I am not comparing Watson to Ablett.

That is a very interesting stat. Cheers for that. :thumbsu:

He is also 1st for clearances, and 3rd for contested possessions and first possessions.

Hey, I'm good friends with a guy who knows Nick Heyne. Why isn't he number one? Played only 2 or 3 games on the fringe this year but he has what it takes, I think you judge him too harshly.

I'm now going to derail your thread with my biased and nonsensical arguements because your opinion is different to mine!

Great effort each week AG. Good to see people are noticing Deledio, he is having a very good year and he's actually manning someone up each week unlike guys who float across half back by themselves.

Great effort each week AG. Good to see people are noticing Deledio, he is having a very good year and he's actually manning someone up each week unlike guys who float across half back by themselves.

From a Tigers perspective I think Lids should be alot lower and possibly Jack.

Deledio is having an exceptional year across HBF and was instrumental on the weekend. I understand because we are a bottom side he should not receive as much recognition but I guess you have to jude it on an individual basis.

I like Malceski year but I think he is wayyyy to high. Have followed him very closely as he has been in my DT since rnd 1 but imo does not have the same impact of Lids yet he is much higher. Obviously a bias opinion but I think it is fair. Deledio was taking contested marks cutting across packs all day on the weekend. Malceski did have a stellar game as well...just a thought though!

Riewoldt I think would have to be higher considering he is leading the goals and also is leading the inside 50 tackles???

I have to fix up the list in regards to forwards because I've been focusing on consistency rather than match winning performances. Riewoldt should probably be higher. Guys like Milne should come in as well.

Deledio has been good but I think he's about right. Somewhere in the 40's.

A top list by a top Footy supporter. Also 1 million times the judge Abblettcumfest09 is on anything related to living.
Concidering it says 'opinion 2010 Top 50' and you have allowed people to help out with comments you would think 1 post stating a fact would be enough per person per week, insted of 1 particular troll who should be in the bay derailing shit threads.

Interesting to see Hodge and Goddard at the top to the list. Is this a testament to the AFL footballer who can play every role on the ground?

BTW in my opinion i would have rated Chapman's season above Abbletts. But i wont tell you i support the most successful team over the past 50 years so i know what it takes to be the best player in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been good. I still think he should be in the midfield though.

I agree, but it seems like most clubs like to have at least 2 guys in defence who can use the ball well, Lids and Newman are those for us ATM. Wouldn't be suprised if he moves forward once Conners settles in.

I would've liked to have seen Swan put into the top 10 since he saved us in the Melbourne game, but the top 20 has some excellent players so its hard to change any around. Once again, nice top 50 this week. ;)

question .Ablett seems to be penalised or critisized for getting those so called cheap handball receives .how about goddard gets penalised for those cheap possessions he gets as the lose man in defence ?

Aussie gun you have put lots of effort into this list and have done an excellent job witht he exception of the top part.If you are going to put in this much effort dont you think you should watch geelong every week ? it dosent have to be live but you need to watch the cats to do this list properly.

every week you should watch the swans and cats play and than rotate the other sides to do an accurate top 50

question .Ablett seems to be penalised or critisized for getting those so called cheap handball receives .how about goddard gets penalised for those cheap possessions he gets as the lose man in defence ?

Aussie gun you have put lots of effort into this list and have done an excellent job witht he exception of the top part.If you are going to put in this much effort dont you think you should watch geelong every week ? it dosent have to be live but you need to watch the cats to do this list properly.

every week you should watch the swans and cats play and than rotate the other sides to do an accurate top 50

why is it only the cats games that have to be watched every week? how is this more fair than if all teams were watched evenly?

the more i read, the more i think this has to be a troll. you have a useless argument, but you argue it more eloquently than someone of your opinions would usually be able to.

The game on the weekend was the first or second Geelong game I have missed this year. I don't have enough time to watch all 8 games every week. 5-6 is the limit and then the highlights of the others. Obviously I will watch Sydney every week. The Demons are my second team (family influence) so I think I've seen all of their games. After that it's just random selection of games, leaning towards the better teams, so I end up watching Geelong most weeks.

Ablett doesn't get penalised. Again, Ablett is 1 spot below Goddard so you are complaining about nothing really. If I had Ablett 10th then you could have a point.

The game on the weekend was the first or second Geelong game I have missed this year. I don't have enough time to watch all 8 games every week. 5-6 is the limit and then the highlights of the others. Obviously I will watch Sydney every week. The Demons are my second team (family influence) so I think I've seen all of their games. After that it's just random selection of games, leaning towards the better teams, so I end up watching Geelong most weeks.

Ablett doesn't get penalised. Again, Ablett is 1 spot below Goddard so you are complaining about nothing really. If I had Ablett 10th then you could have a point.

but why not make it a priority to watch geelong, if you watch 1 game make it sydney , the next should always be geelong.

Geelong have more players out of all the 16 sides that are competing for spots in the top 50 so wouldnt it makes sense that you place greater importance on wathcing them play ?

so whats the basic reason behind hodge and goddard being ahead of ablett ? from what your saying they seem to all be equal and you have just put them in random order

why is it only the cats games that have to be watched every week? how is this more fair than if all teams were watched evenly?

the more i read, the more i think this has to be a troll. you have a useless argument, but you argue it more eloquently than someone of your opinions would usually be able to.

geelong are more relevant to a top 50 list than any other side at the present time due to the fact they have more players that are in contention for a top 50 spot

so whats the basic reason behind hodge and goddard being ahead of ablett ? from what your saying they seem to all be equal and you have just put them in random order
I have Hodge number 1 by a clear margin and Goddard slightly ahead of Ablett for 2nd. Deep down you agree that Hodge is no.1 because all your arguments are based around Goddard being ahead of Ablett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2010 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back