Opinion 2010 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett09, I don't see the point in arguing with AUSSIE GUN. You may think Ablett is first in the Top 50, and thats your opinion but this is AUSSIE GUNS Top 50, and as such he can put whatever he likes in first spot, even if no-one agreed which everyone except you Ablett09 agrees is a very close to perfect top 50 list. For all we know, AUSSIE GUN could randomly chose someone like our Josh Fraser who played terribly as number 1 position or be completely biased and choose all Sydney players in the Top 20. Everyone would most certainly disagree with this choice, but once again it would be AUSSIE GUNS personal opinion, not our own. And no-one can say there 'completely' un-biased towards there team, but AUSSIE GUN does a pretty damn good job with it.

Also Geelong may have an excellent list of players, but there are other clubs who have great talent or up-n-coming stars like Jack Riewoldt who you have to take into consideration. I would personally like to see you, Ablett09 try and make a Top 10, let alone a Top 50 which is exactly right. We would most probably see the list filled with Geelong players with maybe a Hodge hanging at 10th to make it seem 'fair'.

You say you don't want to create a list, but seriously you can't make someone change there 'personal opinion' on players to suit whatever you want. Stop arguing and make your own and see how many people will disagree with you.

And btw I think AUSSIE GUN is doing an excellent job at the Top 50 and I agree that Hodge should have number 1 position.

I have Hodge number 1 by a clear margin and Goddard slightly ahead of Ablett for 2nd. Deep down you agree that Hodge is no.1 because all your arguments are based around Goddard being ahead of Ablett.

you still didnt asnwer the question , whats the reason for hodge and goddard being ahead of ablett ?

as for beleiving hodge is number 1 , i would place him at number 2.I was focusing more on goddard because as you said hodge has been the better of the 2 hence placing goddard ahead of ablett is worse than placing hodge ahead of ablett.However both should be placed behind ablett who is currently the only flawless footballer in the AFL.

Ablett09, I don't see the point in arguing with AUSSIE GUN. You may think Ablett is first in the Top 50, and thats your opinion but this is AUSSIE GUNS Top 50, and as such he can put whatever he likes in first spot, even if no-one agreed which everyone except you Ablett09 agrees is a very close to perfect top 50 list. For all we know, AUSSIE GUN could randomly chose someone like our Josh Fraser who played terribly as number 1 position or be completely biased and choose all Sydney supporters in the Top 20. Everyone would most certainly disagree with this choice, but once again it would be AUSSIE GUNS personal opinion, not our own. And no-one can say there 'completely' un-biased towards there team, but AUSSIE GUN does a pretty damn good job with it.

Also Geelong may have an excellent list of players, but there are other clubs who have great talent or up-n-coming stars like Jack Riewoldt who you have to take into consideration. I would personally like to see you, Ablett09 try and make a Top 10, let alone a Top 50 which is exactly right. We would most probably see the list filled with Geelong players with maybe a Hodge hanging at 10th to make it seem 'fair'.

You say you don't want to create a list, but seriously you can't make someone change there 'personal opinion' on players to suit whatever you want. Stop arguing and make your own and see how many people will disagree with you.

And btw I think AUSSIE GUN is doing an excellent job at the Top 50 and I agree that Hodge should have number 1 position.

wrong, this thread is not about aussie guns opinion, my opinion or your opinion becausethey all mean nothing at all.We have never played a game of afl in our life and do not get paid to give our opinion which means we are not experts.

this thread is about discussing who the best 50 players in the comp have been this year, not about worthless opinions.

when did i say only players from geelong should be considerd for this list or to not consider players from other clubs ? all i said was geelong have the best players so when it comes to doing a top 50 list its foolish to wathc 4 or more games and not see geelong play

wrong, this thread is not about aussie guns opinion, my opinion or your opinion becausethey all mean nothing at all.We have never played a game of afl in our life and do not get paid to give our opinion which means we are not experts.

this thread is about discussing who the best 50 players in the comp have been this year, not about worthless opinions.
None of that makes sense. Of course the thread is about our opinions. This website is built on opinions. Often the people who get paid to give their opinions base it on what they read on BF. It's a funny world.

you still didnt asnwer the question , whats the reason for hodge and goddard being ahead of ablett ?

as for beleiving hodge is number 1 , i would place him at number 2.I was focusing more on goddard because as you said hodge has been the better of the 2 hence placing goddard ahead of ablett is worse than placing hodge ahead of ablett.However both should be placed behind ablett who is currently the only flawless footballer in the AFL.

No football player is completely flawless. Everyone hear would tell you the same.

when did i say only players from geelong should be considerd for this list or to not consider players from other clubs ? all i said was geelong have the best players so when it comes to doing a top 50 list its foolish to wathc 4 or more games and not see geelong play

Umm... not wrong? This IS AUSSIE GUNS opinion since he is the OP and this is about HIS, and let me say that again... H.I.S PERSONAL opinion of the Top 50 players since he is the starter of this thread.

Also it doesn't mean crap that we haven't played at the highest level of Football, only a select few have. That doesn't mean there opinion means nothing at all. Many AFL reviewers, coaches, staff and reporters have never played in the AFL, so how can you say they don't know what there talking about? And how does getting paid make someone an expert of the game? I could technically get some random off the street, give them $5 and say, "Who do you think is the best player in the AFL at the present moment?" and you would accept that?

And once again you contradict yourself. This thread isn't about discussing the 2010 Top 50 best players, its about discussing AUSSIE GUNS choices. I seriously think, even after the many people who have said this before, you still can't get that into your head. Its AUSSIE GUNS OPINION, not the opinion of other people, its AUSSIE GUNS OPINION... let me say that one more time... AUSSIE GUN = OP = HIS OPINION on TOP 50. I doubt you will understand...

Umm... AUSSIE GUN has said before in a previous post that he has only missed 1 and 1/2 of Geelong games. I think thats pretty damn good considering people have other things outside of football to do. Geelong has many stars, but there are other clubs with great players as-well which have to be considered before making a Top 50 list.

Your arguments are fairly useless. You are just a troll now.

They have been better in 2010. There is no specific reason and there barely is when I rate players.

so you put all this effort into doing a top 50 list yet you cant come up with a reason why you have put hodge and goddard ahead of ablett who more than half of the footy public would consider to be the best player in the comp.I have said a number of times this is a top thread but many people will agree with me thats poor form and just simply lazy on your behalf.

your letting yourself down mate

None of that makes sense. Of course the thread is about our opinions. This website is built on opinions. Often the people who get paid to give their opinions base it on what they read on BF. It's a funny world.

on bigfooty we give our opinions as a means of discusion and communication , AFL football is what this site is about and their is only 3 ways to communicate with one and other.You can ask questions,give an opinion or present a fact.this as i said is just a communication method and a way to discuss the game.

secondly its not my opinion that ablett is number 1 ,its a fact thats based on stats and the quality of football he plays.

How can you let yourself down on an internet forum under an alias?

Hodge is having a better season than Ablett. He has carried his team into the top 8. He has moved into the midfield this season and has been outstanding.
Goddard has handled the pressure of being the star in Riewoldt's absence and has grown as a player.

Stats are stats, I'm sure there are some that back up my view and there are some that say Ablett should be no.1

You can have a go at me for lack of reasoning but you have argued that Ablett should be no.1 based on nothing really other than you assuming that Geelong supporters have superior knowledge and that Ablett being the best player in the comp over the last few years automatically makes him the best so far this year.

No football player is completely flawless. Everyone hear would tell you the same.

Umm... not wrong? This IS AUSSIE GUNS opinion since he is the OP and this is about HIS, and let me say that again... H.I.S PERSONAL opinion of the Top 50 players since he is the starter of this thread.

Also it doesn't mean crap that we haven't played at the highest level of Football, only a select few have. That doesn't mean there opinion means nothing at all. Many AFL reviewers, coaches, staff and reporters have never played in the AFL, so how can you say they don't know what there talking about? And how does getting paid make someone an expert of the game? I could technically get some random off the street, give them $5 and say, "Who do you think is the best player in the AFL at the present moment?" and you would accept that?

And once again you contradict yourself. This thread isn't about discussing the 2010 Top 50 best players, its about discussing AUSSIE GUNS choices. I seriously think, even after the many people who have said this before, you still can't get that into your head. Its AUSSIE GUNS OPINION, not the opinion of other people, its AUSSIE GUNS OPINION... let me say that one more time... AUSSIE GUN = OP = HIS OPINION on TOP 50. I doubt you will understand...

Umm... AUSSIE GUN has said before in a previous post that he has only missed 1 and 1/2 of Geelong games. I think thats pretty damn good considering people have other things outside of football to do. Geelong has many stars, but there are other clubs with great players as-well which have to be considered before making a Top 50 list.

Your arguments are fairly useless. You are just a troll now.

to be an expert you either need to of played the game at the highest level or at least be someone whos paid a significant amount of money to give their opinion on the game.

again i never said that players from other clubs shouldnt be considerd , they all should regardless of who they play for.

secondly its not my opinion that ablett is number 1 ,its a fact thats based on stats and the quality of football he plays.

If it is fact, i.e. indisputable, why then have some in the media (Mike Sheehan, James Hird spring to mind instantly) named Hodgey as the no. 1 player of the AFL this year? If it truly is fact then surely those in the media who watch football as a profession would agree with you. But they don't.

This "number 1" thing is not fact. It cannot be measured, it is all opinion. Which is what AG does, gives his opinion. So once again, get your hands out of Gaz's pants for the sake of this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you let yourself down on an internet forum under an alias?

Hodge is having a better season than Ablett. He has carried his team into the top 8. He has moved into the midfield this season and has been outstanding.
Goddard has handled the pressure of being the star in Riewoldt's absence and has grown as a player.

Stats are stats, I'm sure there are some that back up my view and there are some that say Ablett should be no.1

You can have a go at me for lack of reasoning but you have argued that Ablett should be no.1 based on nothing really other than you assuming that Geelong supporters have superior knowledge and that Ablett being the best player in the comp over the last few years automatically makes him the best so far this year.

so you dont think you should give a reason why goddard and hodge are ahead of the bloke most consider to be the best player in the comp ?

you cant just ignore stats like you have , i agree they dont show the full picture but at the same time they must play a major role.Over all statisticly ablett is the ahead of goddard and hodge.

are you judging players based on the quality of football they play or how much influence they have ? because they are two diffrent thing

If it is fact, i.e. indisputable, why then have some in the media (Mike Sheehan, James Hird spring to mind instantly) named Hodgey as the no. 1 player of the AFL this year? If it truly is fact then surely those in the media who watch football as a profession would agree. But they don't.

This "number 1" thing is not fact. It cannot be measured, it is all opinion. Which is what AG does, give his opinion. So once again, get your hands out of Gaz's pants for the sake of this thread.

no mike sheehan does not consider hodge ahead of ablett, hird has always underrated ablett.their will never be a player who everyone says is the number 1 but the majority have ablett as the games best player this year

no mike sheehan does not consider hodge ahead of ablett, hird has always underrated ablett.their will never be a player who everyone says is the number 1 but the majority have ablett as the games best player this year

Based on this year, it sounds a lot as if he does. Which is all this thread is about: this year.

Of course Ablett has been a better player than Hodge, Goddard and whoever the **** else over the course of their careers.

And no, i don't think the majority do have Ablett as the best this year. I think if a poll were done right now, Hodge would take it out.

Also, it's a bit rich for a supporter to claim a champion like Hird who has actually played against Ablett isn't judging properly.

Based on this year, it sounds a lot as if he does. Which is all this thread is about: this year.

Of course Ablett has been a better player than Hodge, Goddard and whoever the **** else over the course of their careers.

And no, i don't think the majority do have Ablett as the best this year. I think if a poll were done right now, Hodge would take it out.

Also, it's a bit rich for a supporter to claim a champion like Hird who has actually played against Ablett isn't judging properly.

whos favourite for the brownlow ?

lets compare ablett to goddard this year

Kicks= Ablett 14.1, VS Goddard 13.6
Handballs =Ablett 19.4 VS Goddard 13.1,

Marks = Ablett 4.9 VSGoddard 6.4
Goals= Ablett 1.7 VS Goddard 1.4
Tackles =Ablett 4.6 VS Goddard 3.9
Goal assists =Ablett 0.6 VS Goddard 0.8
Inside 50 = Ablett 5 VS Goddard 4.3
Clearences =Ablett 5.2 VS Goddard 2.7
Contested possession =Ablett 15 VS Goddard 10.5
Using these stats to compare the 2 players ablett is the clear winner winning 7 out of of 9 areas.Imo and i am sure most will agree with me the OP is using a much harsher set of criteria to judge ablett by than he is for goddard.

The bottom line is given the speed that ablett has over goddard and his abiltiy to win the clearences and win the contested footy compared to goddards their is simply no comparison between the 2 .

ABLETT ALSO BEATS HODGE USING THESE STATS

Yes, let's take the TAB as our point of call for player rankings. Honest and truthful.

I just find this hilarious that you are so desperate to have your own opinion validated by everyone else on this thread. We don't think your precious little man has been the best player in the land THIS YEAR. Many of us think he has been...2nd or 3rd! What an insult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2010 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back