NCAA 2011/12 Regular Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011-2012 College Football Discussion

How about an LSU-Oregon rematch in the BCS?

Polls are out, showing top 5 as

LSU
Oklahoma State
Stanford
Alabama
Boise State

BCS rankings still 6 hours away.
Oregon need Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Stanford, Alabama and Boise State to lose to get to the BCS National Championship match. 5 of them could happen, but I doubt both Oklahoma's could lose.

BCS rankings are out.

#1 LSU
#2 Ok St
#3 Bama
#4 Stanford
#5 Boise
#6 Okla
#7 Oregon
#8 Arkensas
#9 Clemson
#10 VT

Can't believe Bama are higher than Stanford.

A win over Oregon this week should change that though.

It's the computers. With how shit the Pac-12 is in the computers, I wouldn't be totally shocked if Boise State could become so bloody close with Stanford they could jump them (Just need Georgia to continue to pump up our SoS, and 1 or 2 upsets in Big XII play)

I'll tell you this. If the Pac-12 had 11 teams, and played like the BigTen did for years on end, where you play 8 or 9 of the other 10 teams, and Stanford and Oregon didn't play each other, the computer bump of LSU could possibly push an 11-1 Oregon over a 12-0 Stanford.

Stanford is going to have to rely on a few things how it's looking.

1) Beating Oregon - they wont get anywhere near the BCSNCG with 1 loss
2) someone beats Oklahoma State.

But then it could become interesting. ESPN in America is basically doing a smear campagain of Boise State, and are bringing up excuse after excuse after excuse to convince voters to keep Boise State out. But the thing is, to do it, they'd be putting Alabama, they'd be putting Oklahoma up over Boise State due to "load of work" or some shit (basically fancy way of SoS) that they'd be close enough to Stanford in the human polls, that the strength of schedule of the Big XII and SEC (Best 2 conferences in college football) might just push them up over them.

FWIW - Alot of America wants LSU vs Boise State. Haters want us to get smashed and for us to be put in our place, others want to see if they can really match it, some want to see Kellen Moore given a shot at the whole thing after his great career, and some are hating how ESPN have gone about this season and basically attacking Boise State outright, and just want us to give ESPN the 'up you'.

According to an ESPN poll put up yesterday with about 110,000 votes when I looked (can't find it right now)

Most people want LSU vs Boise State.

What was it
Oregon, Arkansas and Oklahoma wanted LSU vs 1 loss team
Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee wanted LSU vs Alabama
everyone else wanted LSU vs Boise State.

According to who?

I'd much rather watch a LSU/Alabama rematch, LSU/Stanford BCS game, LSU/Oregon rematch or even LSU/Okie State over LSU destroying Boise State Junior College in the NC game

I'm one. The only thing that would make a LSU/Bama rematch interesting is the hype, after seeing the last game. Would much rather them play Boise state or Oklahoma St..:thumbsu: (Or Oregon at that!):cool:

According to who?
America.

LSU vs Boise State - 17 states (Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Illinois, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennslyvannia, New York, Rhode Island, Massachusits, New Hampshire)

LSU vs Stanford - 14 states (Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Louisiana, Florida, North Carolina, Indiana, Ohio, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Connecticut, Vermont)

LSU vs Oklahoma State - 8 states (Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Arkansas, South Carolina)

LSU vs Alabama - 6 states (Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Maine)

Undecided - 3 states [tied between Boise State and Stanford] (Alaska, Hawai'i, New Jersey)

According to who?

I'd much rather watch a LSU/Alabama rematch, LSU/Stanford BCS game, LSU/Oregon rematch or even LSU/Okie State over LSU destroying Boise State Junior College in the NC game

See it's people like this that ignore evidence when it slaps them in the face that piss me off. Boise beat Big 12 Champions Oklahoma in 2006, they beat Pac-10 Champions Oregon in 2009, they beat ACC Champions Virginia Tech in a de facto home game for VT in 2010, and they beat Georgia in Atlanta this year.

There is NO EVIDENCE that Boise State would/COULD ever get blown out by ANYONE, because they NEVER have. Saying that they would based on NO EVIDENCE, is idiotic and ignorant.

Very sad news out of Penn State the last 24 hours- Jerry sandusky, Joe Paterno's main assistant for enarly a quarter of a century has been charged with numerous counts of sexual abuse. Sadly, a program that had seemed above the fray of college corruption is being dragged through the muck today, with serious questions about Paterno's knowledge and culpability in what happened.

See it's people like this that ignore evidence when it slaps them in the face that piss me off. Boise beat Big 12 Champions Oklahoma in 2006, they beat Pac-10 Champions Oregon in 2009, they beat ACC Champions Virginia Tech in a de facto home game for VT in 2010, and they beat Georgia in Atlanta this year.

There is NO EVIDENCE that Boise State would/COULD ever get blown out by ANYONE, because they NEVER have. Saying that they would based on NO EVIDENCE, is idiotic and ignorant.

Only one of those games is even close to the same as playing LSU. And if they actually scheduled some harder games, then maybe we'd see what would happen if they played a team the calibre of LSU this year

Only one of those games is even close to the same as playing LSU. And if they actually scheduled some harder games, then maybe we'd see what would happen if they played a team the calibre of LSU this year
talk about ****ing ignorance :rolleyes:

Very sad news out of Penn State the last 24 hours- Jerry sandusky, Joe Paterno's main assistant for enarly a quarter of a century has been charged with numerous counts of sexual abuse. Sadly, a program that had seemed above the fray of college corruption is being dragged through the muck today, with serious questions about Paterno's knowledge and culpability in what happened.

The articles I've read indicate that JoePa knew, and reported it to the AD and somebody else (who had a connection to the college police), but neither of them did anything about it. I guess the question is, should he have taken it further - say to the state police?

Apparently there were similar allegations to the latest ones and Sandusky was banned from taking children from a charity he works with into college buildings. If thats true, that was a pretty weak response from PSU

I don't think Boise has any chance now except BCS chaos mark 2. A win this weekend was their best chance to jump Stanford, and it can still happen, if Stanford lose, however if Stanford beats Oregon, the computers will show them significantly more love, and if Oregon beats Stanford they could theoretically jump Boise too, long shot but not impossible particularly if some voters push them up one more spot. They are only one spot behind them in both human polls, and the winner of the game will get significantly more love from the computers.

Looking at it Boise probably have to hope for Oklahoma St to lose, Arkansas to beat LSU, and Georgia to win the Sec Championship game, or Bama to lose the Iron Bowl Oregon to beat Stanford, and Boise to dominate TCU. It's not unthinkable that Oklahoma could jump Boise particularly if they win in Stillwater and do so convincingly.

It is very possible this could be a repeat of 2001 if both Oklahoma St and Stanford lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. LSU ~ 0.9931
2. Oklahoma State ~ 0.9447
3. Alabama ~ 0.8836
4. Stanford ~ 0.8749
5. Boise State ~ 8473
6. Oklahoma ~ 0.7978
7. Oregon ~ 0.7708
8. Arkansas ~ 0.7452
9. Clemson ~ 0.6435
10. Virginia Tech ~ 0.5913
11. Houston ~ 0.5510
12. Penn State ~ 0.4838
13. South Carolina ~ 0.4528
14. Kansas State ~ 0.3808
15. Georgia ~ 0.3696
16. Texas ~ 0.3664
17. Michigan State ~ 0.3372
18. Wisconsin ~ 0.3046
19. Nebraska ~ 0.2792
20. Auburn ~ 0.2097
21. Georgia Tech ~ 0.2094
22. Southern Miss ~ 0.2039
23. Michigan ~ 0.1834
24. Cincinnati ~ 0.1803
25. Baylor ~ 0.0708
26. Texas A&M ~ 0.0683
27. TCU ~ 0.0472
28. Tulsa ~ 0.0401
29. Arizona State ~ 0.0209
30. Ohio State ~ 0.0149
31. Florida State ~ 0.0126
32. Texas Tech ~ 0.0100
33. Notre Dame ~ 0.0099
34. West Virginia ~ 0.0050
35. Missouri ~ 0.0033
36. Washington ~ 0.0032
37. Iowa ~ 0.0027
38. Virginia ~ 0.0021
39. Rutgers ~ 0.0005
40. Louisville ~ 0.0004
41. Arkansas State ~ 0.0003
42. Miami (Fl) ~ 0.0002
43. Mississippi State ~ 0.0001

If Georgia wins the SEC Championship Game, which happens to be in Atlanta, Boise State is going to the National Championship. Book it. Even the most corrupt pollsters and computers couldn't deny them then.

The articles I've read indicate that JoePa knew, and reported it to the AD and somebody else (who had a connection to the college police), but neither of them did anything about it. I guess the question is, should he have taken it further - say to the state police?

Apparently there were similar allegations to the latest ones and Sandusky was banned from taking children from a charity he works with into college buildings. If thats true, that was a pretty weak response from PSU

The thing is, Paterno IS Penn State. State College is pretty isolated in Pennsykvania, and Paterno rules the roost and has done so for years. He has also made huge contributions to the school (not that this absolves him from anything in this case), and he has certainly been handled with kid gloves by the local authorities.

It is going to be an interesting few days in Happy Valley.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...e-Joe-Paterno-sexual-abuse-scandal/51116384/1

I don't think he should be charged. He told bosses and ultimately it was up to them to report it. Who knows what they were telling Paterno. Not ideal though, he could of done more if aware they didnt pass the message to authroities but that isnt cleared up.

Im no American Law and Order system expert so if it is found he was hiding it, after telling bosses could he be charged??

Im no American Law and Order system expert so if it is found he was hiding it, after telling bosses could he be charged??

Well the AD and VP of Penn State have been charged with failing to report the incidence and for perjury (I believe that Sandusky has been accused of this before) so I guess if the police decided to pursue JoePa, then its possible.

Like I said, it depends on whether he had a legal responsibility (I'd argue that he certainly had a moral one) to take it further than just reporting it to the AD and VP after it became clear that nothing came of him telling them

If Georgia wins the SEC Championship Game, which happens to be in Atlanta, Boise State is going to the National Championship. Book it. Even the most corrupt pollsters and computers couldn't deny them then.

Not if both Stanford and Oklahoma St win out.

I was able to catch a couple of Alabama games and focus soley on Jesse Williams, their new starting left defensive end from Brisbane. It was so refreshing to see an Aussie play at that level (in the South East Conference) who is not a punter. He wears number 54 for the Crimson Tide.

Anyway, if you check him out, he'll make you proud. He's a very good player. He's strong at the point of attack, plays with good leverage, doesn't get pushed back and has on occasion made plays in the back field. He plays with a high motor, gives it on every down, he's smart and plays with good technique. He plays in half the defensive snaps as he doesn't play much on passing downs. Sometimes you see him play defensive tackle in Saban's nickel package though. He is listed at 6 foot 4 inches and at 320 pounds. In the 2 games I have seen him play against LSU and Arkansas, he handled the offensive linemen very well. He's quite atheletic for a big man.

Currently he is ranked 7th defensive tackle in the entire nation by nfl draft scout for 2013. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97502&draftyear=2013&genpos=DT

In my opinion, he needs to play one more year as a senior in 2012 before he enters the NFL draft in 2013. I believe he could make the first round then. He will gather a tonne of attention playing in Nick Saban's 3-4 defense. I think that Saban will move Jesse Williams inside to Nose Tackle next year after the current Alabama Nose Tackle leaves for the NFL at the end of this year. The real test would be how Williams will fair at a new position. He has the size and ability and is a terrific player to follow this year and into the next.

Not if both Stanford and Oklahoma St win out.
This is the problem with college football.
Strength of schedule has taken too much weight in determining who's best.

What ever happened to the days where BYU is winning national championship?

They didn't even play a team with a winning record....

These days people will pick a random SEC team that wins by 1 point every single week, rather than a SBC team that blows everyone away 50+

They'll just look at conference affiliation and strength of schedule, and not judge their opinion on who are actually complete teams, and who is actually the best.

2010 was a farce, TCU had an equally efficent (just not as explosive) offence as Oregon, and they had a better defence, TCU deserved to take on Auburn ahead of them IMO.

And this year is fast turning into a farce.

Oklahoma State isn't the 2nd best team in the country, Oregon, Stanford, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Boise State, Oklahoma (With Broyles), South Carolina (With Lattimore), and Nebraska are all probably better than them. While other schools like Wisconsin, Houston, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor and TCU have good enough offences to match it with them. Just might not have good enough defences to slow them down.

IMHO this year there are 4 standout teams above the rest.
LSU, Alabama, Oregon and Boise State.

There's 2 things I'm hating.

ESPN's push to get what they want, and them basically brainwashing voters in what to do.
SEC, BigTen and Big XII putting together generally cupcake OOC schedule artificially pumping up their SOS and rankings in the computers.

LSU should not be touching Western Kentucky, Alabama should not be touching Georgia Southern, Texas should not being touching Rice, Oklahoma State should not be touching Louisiana-Lafayette.

Anyway. End of rant, dinner's ready. I might continue later :p

I think this season has proved the need for a plus one national championship game, i can't see a full playoff getting up, on the first saturday on sunday after the 14th of January (2 weeks or so after New Years day BCS Bowls. For me Stanford are better than Boise I've seen both play a couple of times, not by much but Stanford/Luck seem to be a great clutch team, and would be awesome up against either LSU or 'Bama. Both those teams are the best IMO, there offences aren't great, but better would beat almost any offence.
Boise I think is better than Oklahoma St, but the cowboys have gotten lucky, you can't keep winning shootouts, and really should have lost or gone into OT last week, Oklahoma should beat them, there defence is week and both Bama and LSU would destroy them in a National Championship game i suspect, You can't keep going needing to score 50+ points a game to win. I do think Oklahoma are extremely good however and simply got complacent against the Red Raiders.

For me there are 5/6 top teams Bama, LSU, Stanford, Oregon, Oklahoma and Boise.

As for the cup cake teams yeah those big BCS schools shouldn't be going near those cupcakes, but it shouldn't detract from there SOS, If you keep beat 2-3 top 10 schools and another 2-3 top 20/25 schools you can afford to have a few easy games on the OOC schedule. And LSU played both Oregon and West Virginia in OOC thats a tougher OOC schedule than Boise's played.

As for Boise probably do deserve the respect. But now and even in the Big East if they have just one OOC marquee win a season is almost never going to do it. I guess the problem is they have to give up too many home games to get the games they'd need to earn the voters respect. A trip to the SEC and a win over a Big Ten or Big 12 power will probably be necessary.

in '84 BYU was the only undefeated team, every major power conference team had at least 1 loss and a draw or two loss. Basically what Boise need now.

If someone can beat an SEC team in a championship game then maybe THEN all the wacky ratings of teams will change.

We will just have to hope someone can beat an SEC team in the final. I would like to see Stanford make it. something a bit different..., but I know they won't get to the SEC game- maybe the top 4 teams should play for the right to get to the championship game....

1 vs 2
3 vs 4 or whatever.

There's 2 things I'm hating.

ESPN's push to get what they want, and them basically brainwashing voters in what to do.
SEC, BigTen and Big XII putting together generally cupcake OOC schedule artificially pumping up their SOS and rankings in the computers.

LSU should not be touching Western Kentucky, Alabama should not be touching Georgia Southern, Texas should not being touching Rice, Oklahoma State should not be touching Louisiana-Lafayette.

Anyway. End of rant, dinner's ready. I might continue later :p

Their SOS is still harder than Boise State's

Their SOS is still harder than Boise State's
Are you an "SEC homer" or something?

You're bringing up very selective stats to back yourself up and seem afraid to face Boise State in the big dance to settle things once and for all.....

Remove this Banner Ad

NCAA 2011/12 Regular Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back