C Edwards Cotchin Grigg
HF King Post Morton
FF Taylor Reiwoldt Griffiths
FOLL Graham Martin Foley
INT Browne Gourdis Houli Rance
EMER Thursfield Vickery Farmer Nason

Lots of talls :cool:
I'm hoping we get Caddy with pick 6

Apparently we're good enough to pass over Tuck and Jackson? Don't think so. Both add necessary depth to the midfield.

@ spud_jjj

Not sure Gourdis is old enough to hold down a CHB spot, probably Astbury is a better bet, but not a bad team. Tbh I forgot about Houli, don't know where he would play tbh (haven't seen him much.)

B: Moore Gourdis Newman
HB: Deledio Astbury Connors
C: Edwards Cotchin Morton
HF: Nason Griffiths Tuck
FF: Taylor Riewoldt King
R: Graham Martin Foley
INT: Rance Jackson Pick 6
SUB: Post

Going forward I reckon that's our best side for round 1.
McGuane and Thursfield are very unlucky, I like them both, but Astbury is very promising and I reckon Gourdis could be a great FB. Moore is always reliable and can play tall/small. Midfield is good and pick 6 needs to get games so have him on the bench. Didn't include Grigg/Houli as I don't know where/when Hardwick plans to use them.
Post as a sub gives us an option forward, back or in the ruck if need be.

probably something along the lines of

Scarlett - Lonergan - J.Hunt
Enright - Taylor - Mackie
Chapman - Bartel - Varcoe
Johnson - Mooney - Ling
Stokes - Podsiadly - Hawkins
Ottens - Selwood - Kelly
Corey - Byrnes - Wojcinski
Milburn

adcock-merret-mcgrath

drummond-patfull-heppell/hanley

banfield-rich-o'brien/hanley

polkinghorne-brown-harwood

buchanon-fev-power

clark-rich-black

redden-staker-luenberger

hawksley

the above team could easily challange top 4 if its 100% fit and firing its a big if though im aware

regardless of whether you have seen any of the above players that is a pretty good current team

Nah, doesn't have the quality midfield. First of all, you're relying on Rich to clone himself and get him to play. Secondly, it doesn't have the depth of rotation.

Goddard-Hayes-Dal Santo-Montagna-Ray-Jones

Pendles-Swan-Ball-Didak- Thomas-Sidebottom-Wellingham

Mitchell-Sewell-Rioli-Hodge-Lewis-Burgoyne

Bartell-Corey-Selwood-Chapman-SJ-Kelly-Enright

I like those rotations through the midfield than Brisbane's. Freo has a better side too. Ditto the dogs, and I like the chances of sides like the crows, roos and dees above Brisbane.

B: Andy Otten Ben Rutten Graham Johncock
HB: Richard Tambling Phil Davis Rory Sloane
C: David Mackay Scott Thompson Richard Douglas
HF: Chris Knights Taylor Walker Patrick Dangerfield
F: Jason Porplyzia Kurt Tippett Ricky Henderson
R: Sam Jacobs Bernie Vince Nathan van Berlo
I: Ivan Maric Michael Doughty Brent Reilly
S: Brad Symes
EMG: Brodie Martin, James Sellar, Matthew Jaensch

FB: Fletcher - Hurley - McVeigh
HB: Pears - Hooker - Dempsey
C: Zaharakis - Winderlich - Stanton
HF: Monfries - Gumbleton - Davey
FF: Ryder - Carlisle - Williams
R: Hille - Watson - Howlett
Inter: Hocking - Reimers - Colyer - Prismall

Although I imagine that there would be a lot of conjecture between our supporters, could include variations of Myers, Melksham, Welsh, NLM, Slattery, Neagle and Hardingham.

I think its a good time to see what everyone wants to see named for round 1 of the 2011 season.

B: Alan Toovey, Nathan Brown, Nick Maxwell
HB: Harry O'Brien, Ben Reid, Heath Shaw
C: Sharrod Wellingham, Luke Ball, Dale Thomas
HF: Alan Didak, Travis Cloke, Andrew Krakouer
For: Dayne Beams, Chris Dawes, Steele Sidebottom
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Dane Swan
Inter (including sub): Leigh Brown, Chris Tarrant, Ben Johnson, Marty Clarke (50-50 at this stage to return from Ireland next season).

Emer: Brent Macaffer (possibly instead of Marty Clarke), Brad Dick, Jarryd Blair, Leon Davis, Simon Buckley (needs to be given a few senior matches next season because he is good), Tyson Goldsack, Simon Prestigiacomo, John Anthony, John McCarthy, Cameron Wood.
no doubt are a good side and young too. but reminds me of hawks 2008. won a flag via an innovative game plan.
Collingwood are better than Hawthorn in 2008 though, and the Hawks lost a number of key premiership players in the next season or so (Crawford, Croad, Dew) that Collingwood has not lost. Not only that, but Hawthorn had difficulty backing it up because Geelong were the best team at the time, which is not the case now. Collingwood's potential best team for 2011 is better than any other, which is reflected in the current premiership betting, but Hawthorn were not premiership favourites for 2009 even though they won the 2008 premiership.
Great work by the OP. Another thread about how great Collingwood are, sneakily disguised as a 'name your club's best 22' thread.
Collingwood won the premiership, and I think most supporters have handled it very well. If that is the worst we can do, then that is not so bad because the potential best team does look very good indeed.

Apparently we're good enough to pass over Tuck and Jackson? Don't think so. Both add necessary depth to the midfield.

@ spud_jjj

Not sure Gourdis is old enough to hold down a CHB spot, probably Astbury is a better bet, but not a bad team. Tbh I forgot about Houli, don't know where he would play tbh (haven't seen him much.)

I definately think we can do without Tuck and Moore. For so long we've been embarrasingly outsized in defence with Moore playing on players who make him look like a midget. Well with Astbury and Gourdis we should put an end to this. Moore would be behind Deledio and Newman as a small defender too. Tucks only position should be the centre square but he is outnumbered now i think. He doesn't have the composure imo. Jackson adds some grunt but he's borderline on making the team. Isn't great under pressure and his kicking is inconsistent. If we get Caddy, Jackson could be on the outer. Martin, Caddy, Grigg and Foley will be plenty of grunt in the midfield :cool:

Wont be this I'm guessing. Worth a try though.

FB: Farmer Thursfield Connors
CHB: Newman Moore Deledio
C: Morton Foley Grigg
CHF: Edwards Vickery Jackson
FF: Nahas Riewoldt Nason
R: Graham Tuck Cotchin

Int: Webberley, McGuane, Martin, Astbury

Unlucky: Post, Griffiths, White, King, Rance, Taylor,

Nahas is in our 22, he just needs to play as well as he can. This means doing team things etc.

Connors plays deep but I'm well aware he rotates through the midfield. So no "Connors is a mid ya idjit" comments thanks.

To be honest I have no idea who will play CHF (Not Miller Not Miller Not Miller) but Griffiths is a little green, Vickery can ruck and gives us a forward target. I'm hoping Griffiths plays a few games this year.

King is IMO too old and too short to play the small forward role, and doesn't have the foot skills. He may play, but IMO he's not in our best 22. Looking at likelyhoods he'll probably be there.

Like Webberley as an attacking HFF.

This is without knowledge of who our pick six is, with a mid someone like McGuane can be pushed out since Thursfield can play FB, Moore can play tall and Astbury ditto.

Anyway, probably wrong. Good fun though! Like our mids, Cotch, Deledio, Martin, Jackson, Foley, Tuck, pick six, we need rotation so hopefully this will improve with the possible development of the likes of Edwards, Connors and the ilk. Need to unearth a few KPD, if Rance and Astbury can start playing good it would be nice.

Why would you play Moore as a tall? Finally we can put an end to that crap :cool:
Astbury and Post are must ins
Only 1 ruck?
Vickery at CHF?

FB: Garland Frawley Bartram
HB: Davey Grimes Rivers
C: Trengove Sylvia McKenzie
HF: Bennell Watts Green (vc)
FF: Petterd Jurrah Dunn
R: Jamar Moloney Scully
I/C: Jones Morton Wonna Gysberts

Ultimately I'd like to see Morton earn a wing position, McKenzie move into the centre, Sylvia into the forward line and Dunn on the bench (and he's still quite a good player). Unfortunately though I can't see more than one of him, Wonna and Gysberts on the bench if Gawn/Fitzpatrick develop well. Jones you'd think has earnt his spot, only missing four games in the last four years. Also would like to see Tapscott come in, to back up the forward line.

Another possibility is someone like Strauss/Blease taking Grimes spot in the backline, Grimes moving into the centre, Sylvia into the forward line, Dunn onto the bench and someone out unforunately. But the good thing is we've built our team from the back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker Dawson Gwilt
Gilbert Fisher Miles
Goddard Dal Santo Montagna
Steven Riewoldt Ray/Gram
Milne Kosi/Stanley Schneider
Gardiner Hayes Jones

INT: Blake, Mcevoy, Armitage, sub: stanley/ray/raph clarke/kosi.

maybe harsh on dempster, did well on didak. But cant kick.
too slack too put more thought into it. Pretty much pick whoever you like out of the x/y situations.

Johnson - Mooney - Ling
Ottens - Selwood - Kelly
Milburn

I'd prefer (with changes in bold)

Enright - Taylor - T Hunt
Johnson - Hawkins - Menzel
Stokes - Podsiadly - Ling
Ottens - Selwood - Kelly
Corey - Duncan - Wojcinski
West

Milburn, Mooney & Mackie have to show they can displace the younger players IMO, and Ling is only in the side if he remains captain and can play a defensive forward role (taking over from Max Rooke).

I'd also like to see Simpson, Motlop, Brown & Gillies get quite a few games when the opportunity arises.

hear is my best 22.

FB: Guerra, Gilham, Stratton
HB: Murphy, Gibson, Whitecross
C: Young, Hodge, Birchall
HF: Ellis, Franklin, Lewis
FF: Osborne, Roughead, Rioli
Foll: Renouf, Mitchell, Burgoyne
Int: Hale, Sewell, Bateman
Sub: Shiels OR Ladson OR Cheney

Back: the back line still has holes in needing an A-Grade tall defender but it has the ability to stop most types of players.

Guerra can shut down mid size players and rebound
Gilham can take the stay at home FF or 2nd tall.
Startton can play on all types and play 3rd man up to help Gilham.
Murphy can take the crumbing forwards
Gibson can take the gorilla forwards.
Whitcross can take the more mobile mid/fwd type player

Center: the canter looks strong on paper, but we might be lacking a bit of pace.

Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Sewell, Rioli, Lewis, Bateman, Young, Birchall, Franklin and Ellis can all run though the guts and wings.

Forward: still our strongest point. but losing Hooper, Peterson, Stokes and Moss leaves us with little opposition in the small forward department.

KPP: Franklin, Roughead, Hale
Franklin to the wing when hale goes forward and rough to CHF.

Defensive forwards: Lewis, Ellis
we would only need one player to play defensive forward but both are capable defensive forwards.

Smalls: Rioli, Osborne
we will need Rioli to spend time in the middle with the sub rule in place. i would not be surprised if he rotates with Hodge forward.

Rucks: with hale in our rucks don't look as bad.

Renouf is becomeing a good ruckmen and if hale can get his 08 form and play a legh brown pinch hit ruckmen role we should be going in the right direction.

Int & Sub: the sub would be a player out of the 22-25 bracket best suiting your opponent.
Hale- 30-40% game time in ruck 30-40% forward and the rest on the bench
Sewell- with the sub rule we will need to have one inside mid on the bench. his versatility helps can tag and go back.
Batmen- his versatility is also important can tag is quick and can go forward

B: Mzungu, McPharlin, Broughton

HB: Ibbotson, Faulks, Duffield

C: Hill, Morabito, Fyfe

HF: Roberton, Pavlich, McPhee

F: Ballantyne, Mayne, deBoer

R: Sandilands, Mundy, Barlow

I: Johnson, Suban, Palmer, Silvagni

Backline: I'm expecting Hayden and Grover to be phased out. Hopefully Faulks is up to it. Mzungu is AFL quality from what I've seen

Midfield: Jizz. Hoping Barlow's return is a success

Forward: needs another tall target. Lots of agro in that group but not much marking power

Johnson - Mooney - Ling
Ottens - Selwood - Kelly
Milburn

Looks like you've gone for the oldest, slowest possible 22 there. :rolleyes:

My 22:

B: Scarlett Gillies J.Hunt
HB: Mackie Taylor Enright
C: Wojcinski Bartel T.Varcoe
HF: Duncan Hawkins Chapman
F: S.Johnson Podsiadly Mooney
Foll: Ottens Selwood Kelly
Int: Corey Byrnes Stokes
Sub: Menzel

Backline: I'm expecting Hayden and Grover to be phased out. Hopefully Faulks is up to it. Mzungu is AFL quality from what I've seen

Midfield: Jizz. Hoping Barlow's return is a success

Forward: needs another tall target. Lots of agro in that group but not much marking power

Can't really include Mzungu or Faulks in the best 22 without seeing them play at AFL level. In any case, Silvagni has proven he's up to the standard as a 3rd tall that can go forward if needed, and Hayden is clearly still our first choice back pocket. Not sure about Roberton being best 22 either - i'd have all of your bench ahead of him at the moment.

A bit of question mark over a few players going into the start of 2011 (for various reasons) - Barlow, Palmer, Clarke, Bradley, McPhee (still), as well as the older rookies.

B: Enright, Lonergan, Scarlett
HB: Mackie, Taylor, T. Hunt
C: Varcoe, Bartel, Kelly
HF: Johnson, Mooney, Ling
F: Byrnes/Stokes, Hawkins, Menzel
R: West, Selwood, Chapman
Int: Ottens, Corey, Duncan
Sub: Byrnes/Stokes/Motlop

Josh Hunt should never be allowed near the team again. Couldn't fit more than one of Stokes or Byrnes. On finals form, I'd lean towards Stokes, but for pace I'd lean towards Byrnes. Can't fit in Milburn.

B: Andy Otten Ben Rutten Graham Johncock
HB: Richard Tambling Phil Davis Rory Sloane
C: David Mackay Scott Thompson Richard Douglas
HF: Chris Knights Taylor Walker Patrick Dangerfield
F: Jason Porplyzia Kurt Tippett Ricky Henderson
R: Sam Jacobs Bernie Vince Nathan van Berlo
I: Ivan Maric Michael Doughty Brent Reilly
S: Brad Symes
EMG: Brodie Martin, James Sellar, Matthew Jaensch

If this side actually plays together and there are minimal injuries we should make the eight. Too much fire power up forward not to.

Looking at the Cats they will still be a force, top4 and could surprise with a new gameplan with or without Ablett the cats will be in contention again.

Sydney look good on paper too, but Bradshaw is just too old, if he was only 28 they could easily make top4.

The saints will add Geary, Steven and Armitage.

The dogs look solid, although Sherman is a world class skier he can still light it up. Top 4 for mine, but will be very close. But can Barry reproduce? that will be their main problem, because Barry played at his absolute peak.

Top 3 is almost a lock based on the teams they can put out.

Pies
Saints
Cats

and between

Dogs
Sydney
Crows
Freo for 4th.

Then Hawks, North and the Ds will be all fighting for 8th.

It doesn't look good for sides like carlton, they're only one injury away from bottom 4, we all know without Judd they lose just about every game. I cannot see them making the 8.

It will be a close year with only 3 maybe 4 sides dominating and raffle the rest. Massive change of guard in 2012 when Richmond, Bombers, North and the Ds start to improve and sides like the Cats, Saints, Dogs slide.

looks like the making of a top 2 side with the likes of hill and morabito. hope that palmer can take his game to the next level,

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back