Discussion 2011 Jumper Suggestion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 Jumper Discussion

I don't want to argue but it was already interrupted.:D

Hey Smeagle, any word on your West Coast design/logo etc re-vamp you mentioned on here a couple months ago? Look forward to seeing it :thumbsu:

i still dont understand what the major fuss is very these clash jumpers

Its just a money maker for the AFL - Essendon was forced to make a clash jumper or they would be fined by the AFL for not doing so as everyone is aware, and look at what happened one disgusting jumper.

The teams never had any dramas in the previous years even when they played on the boggy (muddy) grounds. eg. Moorabbin, Victoria Park, Windy Hill etc.

What ever happened to the white shorts for the away teams???

No one seems to wear them anymore and the AFL just don't care.
The Sydney Swans haven't worn white shorts in years.

The AFL needs to enforce the white (Away) shorts as per the past - instead of worrying bout what looks good on the TV.

I'm not sure what you're talking about - 87.5% of the time, the away team still wears white shorts.

Yes, Sydney (and teams playing in Sydney) are an exception; apparently the AFL deems they have enough white in their strip as it is, and it looks a little tacky with white. With the SMFC jumper however...

I agree, white shorts are a unique tradition that the AFL should uphold - in danger, but FAR from gone.

Teams like Essendon DO need sufficient clash jumpers vs Melbourne, St Kilda - in this day and age of mass media broadcasting, high pace/intensity football and teams wanting to have every extra advantage, silly jumper clashes are simply unprofessional.
Most other top-flight codes have moved on from this - the association continues to be made with EPL (Man U in particular) for good reason.
Yes, they are completely different sports; but the broadcasting, viewing and scrutinising are very similar in such big businesses.

Keep the white shorts, they do a good service in differentiating the teams - but in some cases, they only does half the job.

i still dont understand what the major fuss is very these clash jumpers

Its just a money maker for the AFL - Essendon was forced to make a clash jumper or they would be fined by the AFL for not doing so as everyone is aware, and look at what happened one disgusting jumper.

The teams never had any dramas in the previous years even when they played on the boggy (muddy) grounds. eg. Moorabbin, Victoria Park, Windy Hill etc.

What ever happened to the white shorts for the away teams???

No one seems to wear them anymore and the AFL just don't care.
The Sydney Swans haven't worn white shorts in years.

The AFL needs to enforce the white (Away) shorts as per the past - instead of worrying bout what looks good on the TV.

The game has changed so much since the last AFL game was actually played at any of these ground. Its faster, now the players look up, see a colour and give the ball to it. Since I started watching AFL footy about ten years ago I have not seen a game played in the same muddy conditions that were acceptable twenty years ago.

There is one example of a team not wearing white shorts away. In every Sydney game, bar the home game vs Bisbane, both teams have worn home shorts. IIRC Essendon were repeat offenders a few years ago when they wore red shorts away.

Judging by your post you'd have no probs with Port vs Carlton both in their home jumpers but Carlton in white shorts and Port in black.

found it

Yeah, laziness is a major problem with today's footballers. When a player is running off the half back flank and sees someone out of the corner of his eye running through the centre and has about 0.3 seconds to work out whether he's a teammate or not, you'd think he'd stop being such a lazy prick and just focus on the shorts. As you really should do when you spot someone 50 metres away out of the corner of your eye.

Laziness is also a massive problem with players at the bottom of a pack that fight to win the ball and have about 0.1 seconds to find a teammate with a quick handball. Sure he can't see the player's shorts, but that's no excuse. He should take the time, move his ****ing head and ensure that the player is wearing the dark shorts before firing out the handball. Of course, he's probably just been crunched by an opposition player, but that serves him right for being so goddamn lazy. There's clearly no issue there.

Are some people really that dumb that they think the only circumstances that require players to distinguish between uniforms are when they're staring directly at it with an infinite amount of time to make up their mind?

Unfortunately "some clubs" genuinely believe that they're above other clubs. No other sport in the world has this problem but we do because of this pure arrogance (no other word for it), which is just pathetic and does no favours for the game. Away team changes kit. No-one is favoured. Simple. End of story. One would think.

Even in the GF it shouldn't be issue. I'll guarantee you that The Netherlands and Spain won't play Orange vs. Red tonight. The world cup final is arguably the biggest single game in world sport but one team will wear their away kit without even blinking an eye. Straws, coin toss, two pickles sliding down a window at Macca's....one way or another someone will win the right to wear their home kit, the other will change without issue and then they'll just get on with it.

But meanwhile down in Australia....

Even in the GF it shouldn't be issue. I'll guarantee you that The Netherlands and Spain won't play Orange vs. Red tonight. The world cup final is arguably the biggest single game in world sport but one team will wear their away kit without even blinking an eye. Straws, coin toss, two pickles sliding down a window at Macca's....one way or another someone will win the right to wear their home kit, the other will change without issue and then they'll just get on with it.

This^ :thumbsu:

Great example Heyzeaus.

Sorry about the sudden return to jumpers but i really think I'm onto something with this.
Inspired by my clubs clash jumper this keeps most of the hawks current away and neatens it.
The first is the logo on the stomach. (which my club uses)
The second is the big hawk coming from the bottom.
Also i changed the back to white to make it "light".
Sorry about using brown shorts i just prefer it like that and if you look at the shorts on the back you can tell how white would look.

rc0j9y.png

This^ :thumbsu:

Great example Heyzeaus.

Sorry about the sudden return to jumpers but i really think I'm onto something with this.
Inspired by my clubs clash jumper this keeps most of the hawks current away and neatens it.
The first is the logo on the stomach. (which my club uses)
The second is the big hawk coming from the bottom.
Also i changed the back to white to make it "light".
Sorry about using brown shorts i just prefer it like that and if you look at the shorts on the back you can tell how white would look.

rc0j9y.png

I reckon you're right about the front and back not matching, but in my opinion the Hawks need a dark clash strip because their home jumper is predominantly light (mainly yellow with white number panel on back). Therefore I think the front of the jumper should become darker instead of the back becoming lighter. Something like this....

scyvls.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams like Essendon DO need sufficient clash jumpers vs Melbourne, St Kilda - in this day and age of mass media broadcasting, high pace/intensity football and teams wanting to have every extra advantage, silly jumper clashes are simply unprofessional.
Most other top-flight codes have moved on from this - the association continues to be made with EPL (Man U in particular) for good reason.
Yes, they are completely different sports; but the broadcasting, viewing and scrutinising are very similar in such big businesses.

I found years ago, when an "away strip" was just something interstate teams and St Kilda did, that when watching Richmond I often found it hard to distinguish between teams when the sun was shining on the new fabrics (i.e. the non-knitted jumpers). Richmond clashed with any team that had a predominantly black or navy blue back. Under lights, less of an issue. The speed of the game wasn't so much my issue.

My feeling was that we didn't need a full-blown away jumper... just a clash jumper so that we could be distinguished from the opposition. When the AFL mandated clash jumpers, I figured that it would be a simple matter: if you are the away team, VISITOR if you will, out of respect to your host, you change your jumper. You don't do a Collingwood or Essendon and throw a tantrum about it. Or even do a Richmond and conveniently avoid the issue until the AFL gives you a gentle reminder that you have to do something about it.

I don't think an away jumper serves much purpose, to be honest - the main home jumper is the identity. You should wear it in all games, unless there's a genuine colour clash, in which case, if you're the away team, you wear the clash strip. And ideally, the clash strip shouldn't be predominantly white if you can help it - I'm still wanting the umpires to wear white or a totally neutral colour for all games (e.g. VFL umps wearing fluoro orange).

I don't think an away jumper serves much purpose, to be honest - the main home jumper is the identity. You should wear it in all games, unless there's a genuine colour clash, in which case, if you're the away team, you wear the clash strip. And ideally, the clash strip shouldn't be predominantly white if you can help it - I'm still wanting the umpires to wear white or a totally neutral colour for all games (e.g. VFL umps wearing fluoro orange).

barcelona+shirts+2009+2010+three+kits.jpg

Speaking of fluoro orange here is a picture of Barcelona's orange clash top (on the left). Even though it's completely different and unrelated to the home top, it doesn't change the fact that whenever people think of Barcelona they always imagine the blue and red stripes (middle). So personally I don't buy arguments that denounce clash tops on the basis of "eroding identity" or similar rubbish.

Clubs have the right to express their identity, but not at the expense of another club's right to do the same. So if you're the away team and you clash with the home, stop being a p***k and just change your kit!

Sorry that it's a bit scrappy but i did it quite quick.

11ryjo3.png

I think it turned out pretty good and if a dark clash is the go definitely use this.

30l15hu.png

Here you are Gibbsy.

I also made one with pin-stripes but won't upload but I should have it up tomorrow.

Thanks Gibbs and points to Heyzeus for the dark idea and the yellow pin-stripes for the hawk ;) ill try tidy it up soon :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2011 Jumper Suggestion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back