Discussion 2011 Jumper Suggestion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 Jumper Discussion

Didn't know where to post it so I'll post it here:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gold-coast-name-your-identity-20100714-10a00.html

Mero's site mentioned at the bottom

I love the old school Phoenix Suns logo that they use in the article!

I'm surprised at the lack of love for the Marlins option. I voted for it but it's only got 10%, which is behind Suns on 27%, None (GCFC) on 24%, Stingrays on 23% and Ironmen on 11%.

For the love of (insert your deity here) I hope it's not Ironmen!!!!!

Gold Coast Football Club is fine. Suns is alright I suppose, but the other suggestions (Stingrays, Lifesavers) are just in bad taste and fairly average.

I don't see how "Lifesavers" is any more in bad taste than "Dockers" or "Bombers".
(Or "Demons" or "Saints" for that matter, but that's a theological discussion.)

One of the proposals last year in addition to Stingrays was simply Rays. Could either mean stingrays/manta rays, or rays of sunlight. Gets around the Suns name issues.

When Townsville changed, it reminded me of a similar thing in the National Soccer League around the same time (if not a few years earlier). The issue was with teams with "borrowed" identities, e.g. South Melbourne SC was calling themselves the Lakers. In general at the time, there was a view that a lot of teams in Australia were using American concepts/nicknames rather than using something which fans could better identify with. Or some such thing like that... I can understand where it was coming from, but really, there wasn't a lot of it around to make a fuss about.

Playing the Townsville Suns at the Furnace - that was a great concept. They should have adopted the nickname Fire instead, but now that's the women's team in the WNBL.

Gold Coast Fire... nah...
Gold Coast Waves. Nice, but needs a mostly blue jumper... too many of those.
Gold Coast Dolphins? Might be onto something here :thumbsu:

I won't take credit for the yellow clash jumper because I got the idea from someone else's post (it was in this thread somewhere I think). I think it's a stroke of genius because it references the first Bears jumper and looks so much better than the white one they have now.

Whoever thought of it gets a big :thumbsu: from me!

ifu9sx.png
In my original post on this thread I made the Brisbane clash with the yellow and maroon but with the new logo (just the head). So Ill claim the big :thumbsu: :p

I think it would be good to have the Fitzroy inspired away and the Bears inspired clash if they feel the need to have three jumpers, which personally I dont. One dark jumper/kit, one light jumper/kit and the occasional promo (Bulldog's Hall of Hame, Freo's Purple Haze etc.) will suffice.

BTW I like the BFC monogram jumper idea. If someone came up with an original BFC monogram (yours is to much like FFC for my liking) I would fully support the idea. Come to think of it I would fully support any idea that got rid of the current disaster.

Here are my weak attempts at monograms - done using a laptop touchpad

BFC.png
BLAFC.png

Main issue with a monogram is that Brisbane is a merged team - do you use letters representing just the new club, or both old clubs, or something else? Should it be BFC, BLFC, BLAFC, BBFFC or something else entirely?

In my original post on this thread I made the Brisbane clash with the yellow and maroon but with the new logo (just the head). So Ill claim the big :thumbsu: :p

I think it would be good to have the Fitzroy inspired away and the Bears inspired clash if they feel the need to have three jumpers, which personally I dont. One dark jumper/kit, one light jumper/kit and the occasional promo (Bulldog's Hall of Hame, Freo's Purple Haze etc.) will suffice.

BTW I like the BFC monogram jumper idea. If someone came up with an original BFC monogram (yours is to much like FFC for my liking) I would fully support the idea. Come to think of it I would fully support any idea that got rid of the current disaster.

Yeah I used an FFC monogram and turned it into a BFC one, but I actually like the shape of it. I also like the idea that on the field it might look like Fitzroy running around out there.

Another idea I had was for Brisbane to use "heritage jumpers". The home one could be the jumper used in the 01/02/03 premeirships, the away one could be the actual Fitzroy jumper (with FFC on it) and the clash could be the original Brissie Bears jumper (complete with that strange BB triangle thingy). I reckon they all look great and they would probably sell heaps better in stores than their current kit.

6g93dk.png

I like your thinking Heyzeus, but in a way the Brisbane Lions would be throwing away the new identity they have been trying to build for the past 15 years.
In theory it looks like a good idea, but unfortunate as it may seem both Fitzroy and the Bears aren't in the AFL anymore and people have to accept that.

I have no problem with the red away guernsey - in fact I love it - but just looking there at the kits there are about 8 different shades of colour. Just a reversion to the 2009 kit would be fine for me :thumbsu:

I love the old school Phoenix Suns logo that they use in the article!

I'm surprised at the lack of love for the Marlins option. I voted for it but it's only got 10%, which is behind Suns on 27%, None (GCFC) on 24%, Stingrays on 23% and Ironmen on 11%.

For the love of (insert your deity here) I hope it's not Ironmen!!!!!
The logo isn't that old at all

I like your thinking Heyzeus, but in a way the Brisbane Lions would be throwing away the new identity they have been trying to build for the past 15 years.
In theory it looks like a good idea, but unfortunate as it may seem both Fitzroy and the Bears aren't in the AFL anymore and people have to accept that.

I have no problem with the red away guernsey - in fact I love it - but just looking there at the kits there are about 8 different shades of colour. Just a reversion to the 2009 kit would be fine for me :thumbsu:
I know where your coming from Gibbsy, but I wiouldnt be to worried about Brisbane throwing away an identity, that theyve built for 15 years, out the window. Theyve just thrown over 30 years of heritage out the window when they disposed of the Fitzroy Lion.

I know where your coming from Gibbsy, but I wiouldnt be to worried about Brisbane throwing away an identity, that theyve built for 15 years, out the window. Theyve just thrown over 30 years of heritage out the window when they disposed of the Fitzroy Lion.
It sounds like I'm backtracking on my original view of the guernseys but I do think that the club needs to progress and they can't hold on to something forever. Maybe this is the way to go.

I think I understand what your trying to say...Essendon have done pretty well to hold on to their red sash on black, Richmond have done pretty well to hold on to the yellow sash on black and St. Kilda have done pretty well to hold on to the red, white and black tri panel, besides the 90's and early 00's. Im sure if you showed these jumper to nearly anyonr in Australia they would be able to match the jumper to the team.

This just goes further to prove the point that logos do not have a place on home jumpers, monograms do but logos dont. Maybe on clashes as most are just money spinners that changes every couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, what does that mean? Where will the lion be seen? I think they could certainly integrate the side-on lion onto a chest panel or something like that, at the very least.

Surely, now the side on lion is a secondary logo, they could put it on the jumper like St. Kilda have. Thats what your tryna suggest isnt it Silent Alarm??

... and Collingwood, Geelong, North & Port.
It's fairly common these days.
In recent years Melbourne and Richmond also had club logos on their jumpers.

It's a pathetic compromise and I think Streets should sue Brisbane for stealing the Paddle Pop Lion.

I know I've already said it but Brisbane had one of the best jumpers going around and they've totally stuffed it. I rate it lower than Freo's green jumper from 1995. :thumbsdown:

I don't actually get the hate for the Green Freo jumper.. surely it's not that horrendous? It was the first jumper I ever owned.

Collingwood
Collingwood go back in time,change from white stripes on black to black stripes on white and drop the Shit Adidas template
collingwoodhomev2.png

Home

Clash is their current home with an all black back of the jumper.
collingwoodclash.png

Clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2011 Jumper Suggestion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back