2011 Ladder Predictions - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

It is going to be an awesome year.

I don't think Collingwood are that far ahead of the pack (if at all). Certainly not on talent, but they are very well coached. Can see a nice hangover setting in.

Geelong and Saints still have the two best lists and will go down swinging.

North and Melbourne should find a spot in the 8 on the back of excitng young lists

essendon will be horrible as Hird tries to erase their softness

Gold Coast to avoid the spoon

1. Geelong
2. St Kilda
3. Hawthorn
4. North
5. Collingwood
6. Fremantle
7. Bulldogs
8. Melbourne

9. Adelaide
10. Carlton
11. Brisbane
12. Sydney
13. Port
14. Richmond
15. West Coast
16. Gold Coast
17. Essendon

1. Hawthorn
2. St Kilda
3. Collingwood
4. Fremantle
5. Geelong
6. Essendon
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Sydney

-------------------------

9. Carlton
10. Adelaide
11. Port Adelaide
12. Brisbane
13. Melbourne
14. North Melbourne
15. West Coast
16. Richmond
17. Gold Coast

god, there is a part 2
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

I don't think Collingwood are that far ahead of the pack (if at all). Certainly not on talent, but they are very well coached. Can see a nice hangover setting in.
Lol always nice to read a hopeful post.

Our Arizona trip was harder and more intense than ever, climbed Mt. Humphrey twice in two days, the second climb was completed in a howling gale that saw the lads forced to crawl up the last bit against the wind.

It's possible we can come back to the field through injuries or form slump and its possible one or more teams can come out of the pack but if you're counting on a drop off in intensity. . . . . . . good luck with that :p;)

I'll do a ladder prediction another time but two things i'd like to say;

Western Bulldogs are massively underated! Johnson IMO was not playing great football and they have added Vezspremi, Djerrkerra and Sherman. From the draft they got the two father son picks Wallace and Libba. Barry Hall shows no signs of going down hill and if someone can put a rocket up Josh Hill then they will be a more polished side.

North Melbourne are massively overated! So they drafted the obvious good choices in 2009 and 2010 adding Atley and Harper to the list of Cunnington, Black and Bastinac. Sure they are starting to get some great players to go along with Swallow, Ziebell and Anthony but what about the rest of the list?? The foundation is great for North but they are a long way off being a top 4-6 side IMO.

Then why do so many impartial media commentators feel otherwise about that? How can you predict that a hangover will occur when there hasn't been any signs of that so far? It's Michael Malthouse's last year, so I don't think that he will be complacent because he won't have another opportunity to win another premiership.

The players are aware of that I'm sure as well, so they will be keen to attempt to send him out with back-to-back premierships. They have a very good draw, and will also learn from the mistakes of Hawthorn, Geelong and St.Kilda in recent years and modify their game plan slightly to stay ahead of the rest, which those teams did not do at all.
Collingwood's list is ahead of both of these teams though, so how did you come to that conclusion exactly? :confused: Collingwood's best team will be even stronger than it was this year as well, but Geelong's won't be, and I don't think that St.Kilda has strengthened their best team.
North and Melbourne should find a spot in the 8 on the back of excitng young lists
North Melbourne are overrated, but they may be one of the better teams that miss the finals, so they could be thereabouts. Melbourne should improve a little, but they may be another year away from a finals appearance as well because they will miss the experience of McDonald and Bruce.
Western Bulldogs are massively underated! Johnson IMO was not playing great football and they have added Vezspremi, Djerrkerra and Sherman. From the draft they got the two father son picks Wallace and Libba. Barry Hall shows no signs of going down hill and if someone can put a rocket up Josh Hill then they will be a more polished side.
I agree that they're underrated, although they will miss Harbrow as well. There isn't an obvious second best team to Collingwood at the moment, but it could be the Bulldogs, although their appears to be a bit of a gap currently.
North Melbourne are massively overated! So they drafted the obvious good choices in 2009 and 2010 adding Atley and Harper to the list of Cunnington, Black and Bastinac. Sure they are starting to get some great players to go along with Swallow, Ziebell and Anthony but what about the rest of the list?? The foundation is great for North but they are a long way off being a top 4-6 side IMO.
I agree with this as well, and I don't know how they are going to take the next step next season. A lot of teams show promise as North Melbourne did this year, but are are not ready to progress further, and I think that is the case with them.

Melbourne should improve a little, but they may be another year away from a finals appearance as well because they will miss the experience of McDonald and Bruce.

This is an interesting point. It's widely known and accepted that over the last half dozen years one of Melbourne's major weaknesses has been it's lack of senior leadership. Whilst McDonald was good in that area there's always been question marks over Bruce, specifically his lack of desire to put his body on the line and poor disposal.

Now that Bruce has gone we're suddenly going to miss his experience and leadership?

I love bigfooty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an interesting point. It's widely known and accepted that over the last half dozen years one of Melbourne's major weaknesses has been it's lack of senior leadership. Whilst McDonald was good in that area there's always been question marks over Bruce, specifically his lack of desire to put his body on the line and poor disposal.
I have always felt that Cameron Bruce has been important for Melbourne though, and the club definitely wanted to retain him.
Now that Bruce has gone we're suddenly going to miss his experience and leadership?
I didn't say that Melbourne would miss his leadership. :confused: I think his experience will definitely be missed though, and he is a good player.
I love bigfooty
What do you mean by that?

I'll do a ladder prediction another time but two things i'd like to say;

i shall tell you why we are going to improve.
This year we finished 9th and missed finals on percentage. Next year we welcome back ziebell, petrie and anthony who are all in our top 5 players. Thus we are going to be a better team, plus atley and richo will add to our depth and push for spots.

Our list is extremely well balanced and i will prove this through going through each position

Defence:IMO our strongest position, We have grima and thompson and tarrant in key defensive posts along with rawling tagging the small and dangerous forward whilst racking up possesions at will, then firrito and pratt rebounding from defence.
Our other defenders include, McMahon, richardson, macmillan,delaney x2,kennedy and urquhart.

Midfield: Im loving our midfield atm. Swallow is the leader of the young midfield. He will be backed up by wells,anthony,ziebell,cunnington,bastinac, atley,adams and greenwood. VERY EXCITING

Rucks: We have one of the strongest ruck duo's in the comp in big Hamish Mac and Goldy. Waiting in the wings are MAJAK DAW and mabon.

Forwards: This was our weakness last season but with petrie coming back and boomer to spend more time at hff it could be our weapon next year. Petrie and hansen the 2 key position forwards, boomer thomas warren and wright crumbing and scoring goals. Other forwards include edwards, harper, mckinley, cambell and aaron black.

SO anyone saying we won't improve is not informed and has no idea about our list since we are getting 3 of our top5 back and our list is well balanced all over. anything but a top 8 position will be considered a fail because we won't go backwards

1: collingwood
2: st kilda
3: geelong
4: fremantle
5: western bulldogs
6: hawthorn
7: sydney
8: north melbourne/carlton
9: carlton/north melbourne
10: melbourne
11: adelaide
12: port adelaide
13: richmond
14: gold coast
15: brisbane
16: essendon
17: west coast

This is my Second Ladder prediction:

I think the premiership will come from this group
1.Fremantle
Fremantle have it all to prove, there list runs deep and have some very good youth. they will go all out to finish on top and i believe they will.
2.St.Kilda
St Killda have had 2 great session, they went to hell and back this year and still almost won the cup there a contender for sure.
3.Collingwood
i think they will be a contender but play this year conservative rest players when they need to and make top 4 not go all out for first.
---------------
In contention for top 4 and the Dark Horses
4.Hawthorn
5.Geelong
6.Sydney
7.Western Bulldogs
---------------
These teams will round of the 8
8.Adelaide
9.Melbourne
10.Carlton
11.North Melbourne
---------------
Not ready for finals
12.Gold Coast
13.West Coast
14.Port Adelaide
15.Essendon
---------------
Safe to say they will be in the bottom 5
16.Brisbane
17.Richmond

Premership: Fremantle - St.Kilda

i don't believe collingwood are in front of the comp at all, they had a great year but still almost lost the grand final. also its yet to be seen if injures will hit them and how the recovering players will cope. had a very good run with injures (like all premiership teams) and will need it again if they are to win it again.

Premiership chances
1: Collingwood
2: St Kilda
3: Hawthorn

In contention for top 4
4: Geelong
5: Fremantle
6: Bulldogs

Rounding out the 8
7: Sydney
8: North Melbourne
9: Carlton
10: Melbourne
11: Adelaide

Keep a close eye on
12: Richmond
13: Port Adelaide
16: Gold Coast

No finals yet
14: Brisbane
15: West Coast
17: Essendon

GF: Collingwood v. Hawthorn/ St. Kilda
Norm Smith: Steele Sidebottom :D

ehh why not

1. collingwood - clearly the best side in '10, fairly young... can't see them falling away
2. bulldogs - have cleared out some older players, which should benefit them
3. st kilda - not confident in the saints next year, as their list is ageing... but still the burning desire will be there
4. carlton - surely the time has come for all those high draft picks to perform.
5. hawthorn - still big gaps in their list, but some truly elite players
6. melbourne - their tanking will begin to really pay off next year
7. sydney - refuse to bottom out, will make up the numbers without really challenging yet again
8. geelong - will suffer greatly with no ablett, and certain players with inflated reputations will be exposed
9. fremantle - overacheived last year, pavlich and sandlilands carry this team but aren't getting younger
10. north - good young talent, still a year or two away
11. adelaide - can't really see any young stars in the making, but always competitive due to their fitness regime
12. gold coast - have the best player in the comp, will do exceed most people's expectations
13. west coast - maybe biased, but with kerr finally back will be vastly better than last year
14. port - new coach will have a lot of work to do
15. richmond - perhaps a bit harsh, just feel they lack experienced leaders
16. essendon - hird has a LOT of work to do. mids seriously lacking apart from watson
17. brisbane - in for a world of pain

For years the general consensus on bigfooty was that the reason we were terrible was because of players like Bruce.
What does the "general consensus" have to do with anything that I haven't said? I have never said that Melbourne are terrible because of players like Bruce, so why are you directing this at me?
Not that he's gone he's suddenly an absolute gun and we're screwed without him.
I have also never at any stage said that he was a "gun," so again, why are you directing this at me? Melbourne clearly wanted to retain him, and in my opinion, they will miss him and his experience. I think he is a good player and a big loss, and I have heard many Melbourne supporters on the radio that were very disappointed that he decided to leave.
Do I really need to draw a diagram?
If you're going to patronise me over an opinion and something that I have never said, then please go right ahead and draw your diagram. Maybe you'll be able to explain yourself clearer that way.

i shall tell you why we are going to improve.
This year we finished 9th and missed finals on percentage. Next year we welcome back ziebell, petrie and anthony who are all in our top 5 players. Thus we are going to be a better team, plus atley and richo will add to our depth and push for spots.

Our list is extremely well balanced and i will prove this through going through each position

Defence:IMO our strongest position, We have grima and thompson and tarrant in key defensive posts along with rawling tagging the small and dangerous forward whilst racking up possesions at will, then firrito and pratt rebounding from defence.
Our other defenders include, McMahon, richardson, macmillan,delaney x2,kennedy and urquhart.

Midfield: Im loving our midfield atm. Swallow is the leader of the young midfield. He will be backed up by wells,anthony,ziebell,cunnington,bastinac, atley,adams and greenwood. VERY EXCITING

Rucks: We have one of the strongest ruck duo's in the comp in big Hamish Mac and Goldy. Waiting in the wings are MAJAK DAW and mabon.

Forwards: This was our weakness last season but with petrie coming back and boomer to spend more time at hff it could be our weapon next year. Petrie and hansen the 2 key position forwards, boomer thomas warren and wright crumbing and scoring goals. Other forwards include edwards, harper, mckinley, cambell and aaron black.

SO anyone saying we won't improve is not informed and has no idea about our list since we are getting 3 of our top5 back and our list is well balanced all over. anything but a top 8 position will be considered a fail because we won't go backwards

I never said you wouldn't go backwards or miss the finals. I saw a handful of posts that had North Melbourne at 4th or 5th which i thought was ridiculous.

If Anthony (17 games) and Ziebell (24 games) are in your best 5 players then surely you can't expect much? Just having a quick look at North's 2010 season and you beat;

Melbourne x 2
Fremantle (Injury Plagued)
West Coast x 2
Brisbane
Port Adelaide
Carlton
Adelaide
Hawthorn (With no ruckman)
Richmond

In case you missed it that's mainly bottom eight sides there.

TBH like many, you seem caught up in the names and the hype of a low draft pick. Sure some of the players look the goods, but unfortunatley there all midfeilders. You claim your defence is your strongest position, yet you conceeded an average of over 100 points per game?

Then why do so many impartial media commentators feel otherwise about that?

because they are less intelligent than me

How can you predict that a hangover will occur when there hasn't been any signs of that so far?

Well the signs might not be there yet, but that could be because we are still a few months away from the season starting.

It's Michael Malthouse's last year, so I don't think that he will be complacent because he won't have another opportunity to win another premiership.

No-one intends to be complacent, but the list isn't good enough for even a 5% drop off.

The players are aware of that I'm sure as well, so they will be keen to attempt to send him out with back-to-back premierships.

No-one intends to be complacent, but the list isn't good enough for even a 5% drop off.

They have a very good draw

Collingwood? That is surprising.

and will also learn from the mistakes of Hawthorn, Geelong and St.Kilda in recent years and modify their game plan slightly to stay ahead of the rest, which those teams did not do at all.

Right. Maybe they will keep doing that each year and win the next 10 flags!

Collingwood's list is ahead of both of these teams though, so how did you come to that conclusion exactly? :confused:

Both have more true A-graders.

Collingwood's best team will be even stronger than it was this year as well, but Geelong's won't be, and I don't think that St.Kilda has strengthened their best team

Collingwood had a lot of players that looked better than they are. I don't think they will sustain their performance.

North Melbourne are overrated, but they may be one of the better teams that miss the finals, so they could be thereabouts. Melbourne should improve a little, but they may be another year away from a finals appearance as well because they will miss the experience of McDonald and Bruce.

Nah.

essendon will be horrible as Hird tries to erase their softness

Gold Coast to avoid the spoon

1. Geelong
2. St Kilda
3. Hawthorn
4. North
5. Collingwood
6. Fremantle
7. Bulldogs
8. Melbourne

9. Adelaide
10. Carlton
11. Brisbane
12. Sydney
13. Port
14. Richmond
15. West Coast
16. Gold Coast
17. Essendon

Anyone else sick of this North Melbourne/Melbourne circle jerk b.s.?

Alot of other teams have young lists just as young as North Melb/Melb...North making top 4 next year? Are you on drugs?? At the expense of 2 teams who made the 8 incl. Sydney and Carlton.

Anyone else sick of this North Melbourne/Melbourne circle jerk b.s.?

Alot of other teams have young lists just as young as North Melb/Melb...North making top 4 next year? Are you on drugs?? At the expense of 2 teams who made the 8 incl. Sydney and Carlton.

Look, after your 8,000 priority picks and spoons, I would have thought the Blues would be better than they are as well, but they look decidely average.

The changing of the guard is here already. The Blues must having been having a piss when their number was called. oh well.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Ladder Predictions - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back