List Mgmt. 2011 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Forster hasn't had a mention that I can see. 189cm All-Australian defender. A great kick with both feet and has excellent hands. He sounds an ideal replacement for Milburn.
Josh Waldhuter is another one worth a look. A hard at it midfielder who is also a very good kick.
Josh Tynan a medium defender who can also play midfield is a Corey Enright type of player.
I also like Steve Rusca from Central Districts. He has played reserves footy this year in a similar pattern to Daniel Menzel.
We probably need to look at a ruckman for our pick at 78, and our choice may come down to Tom Downie (who will probably be picked up earlier) or Leif Cope a 203cm ruckman from Eastern Ranges.

Alex Forster hasn't had a mention that I can see. 189cm All-Australian defender. A great kick with both feet and has excellent hands. He sounds an ideal replacement for Milburn.
Josh Waldhuter is another one worth a look. A hard at it midfielder who is also a very good kick.
Josh Tynan a medium defender who can also play midfield is a Corey Enright type of player.
I also like Steve Rusca from Central Districts. He has played reserves footy this year in a similar pattern to Daniel Menzel.
We probably need to look at a ruckman for our pick at 78, and our choice may come down to Tom Downie (who will probably be picked up earlier) or Leif Cope a 203cm ruckman from Eastern Ranges.

I mentioned him as a defender I liked about 20 pages back.

I like Steve Rusca as well. He's a player that could be molded into a number of different roles, also similar to Menzel. Haven't heard much talk about him, so wouldn't mind us snagging him in the rookie draft if he's still there.

Not many key position defenders/stoppers are excellent kicks, nor do they have to be.

What a strange comment. Milburn, Scarlett, Taylor, Mackie (most of the time) are some of the best users of the ball we have. It is why we have been so good for last five years.

Geelong will only draft players with good foot skills, that has been the focus for a number of years.

What a strange comment. Milburn, Scarlett, Taylor, Mackie (most of the time) are some of the best users of the ball we have. It is why we have been so good for last five years.

Geelong will only draft players with good foot skills, that has been the focus for a number of years.
Well three of those four didn't play key position in 2011.

I prefer a Talia with slight kicking issues to taking a key defender who has issues winning the 1-1's for example. It's not likely to be a terminal issue if the rest of his game continues at it's current rate of progression. And he also has an extremely good attitude, which is something we value highly in the kids we recruit.

Yes, and specifically we value extreme competitiveness, which is something that Chris Scott has talked about many times as the thing that really smacked him in the face when he came to the club.

That's why this line interested me in the Talia article: "I've just always been really competitive. I hate being beaten." Exactly what Scott has said about our senior players.

Sounds like our sort of kid.

We'll have to use one of our 30's if we want Murdoch, will be a big bolter. Would be wrapped if we picked up Kerridge too, but I recon he could well be gone by the 30's aswell.

I would love it if we managed to pick up a KPD, a tall inside mid, a tall ruck (none of this 198 cm stuff) and a nice 190cm+ defender.

We'll have to use one of our 30's if we want Murdoch, will be a big bolter. Would be wrapped if we picked up Kerridge too, but I recon he could well be gone by the 30's aswell.

I would love it if we managed to pick up a KPD, a tall inside mid, a tall ruck (none of this 198 cm stuff) and a nice 190cm+ defender.

The only thing I didnt like about the Murdoch vids was that he always looked to take off outside. I like guys that try and work through inside.

Pace is great but you get rare opportunities to use it at the contest in the AFL.

I'm sure the package was created to show out side speed though.
This is where context gets lost. ie, we watch a replay of a goal and say

"why didn't they show the build up to that?"
"Why wasn't there emphasis on the importance of the moment? It was a crunch moment"

That's where recruiters kick in.

The only thing I didnt like about the Murdoch vids was that he always looked to take off outside. I like guys that try and work through inside.

Pace is great but you get rare opportunities to use it at the contest in the AFL.

I'm sure the package was created to show out side speed though.
This is where context gets lost. ie, we watch a replay of a goal and say

"why didn't they show the build up to that?"
"Why wasn't there emphasis on the importance of the moment? It was a crunch moment"

That's where recruiters kick in.

I actually haven't watched his highlights video on the AFL site, does he breakway to his left alot? From what I've seen he always looks to get onto his left (typical of most lefties) which can land him in trouble a bit, I'd say that's his main concern.

Definitly has the tools to convert to AFL, awesome kick at full tilt (which is obviously pretty quick) and can thump them home from outside fifty with ease. Great tackler as well. Can play

See now there's the problem.

I don't classify Jack R as a great athlete.

I seem to remember the knock on him as a junior was that he was slow.

I countered that by saying that he may be slow, but he's a strong mark and a great finisher.

So again, i'd say he's more a footballer than an athlete.

Well there you go. As I said its subjective.

But I would think most would say Jack R is a pretty fair athlete. He doen't appear overly slow for a big man, seems strong enough for a young man, and has a fair old leap.

The more i think about watching him in action, the more i think it entirety legitimate to call him a fine athlete.

He may also be called a fine footballer.

He may also be called a bit of a wacko going on some of his interviews and actions on the ground. - Ah! The passion and impetuousness of youth.

What about Bews and Guthrie, they can play back and into the midfield. Smedts is 189cm a def/fwd..

Well there you go. As I said its subjective.

But I would think most would say Jack R is a pretty fair athlete. He doen't appear overly slow for a big man, seems strong enough for a young man, and has a fair old leap.

The more i think about watching him in action, the more i think it entirety legitimate to call him a fine athlete.

He may also be called a fine footballer.

He may also be called a bit of a wacko going on some of his interviews and actions on the ground. - Ah! The passion and impetuousness of youth.

I'll agree to disagree.

Anyway, Buddha has informed me word in the twitterverse is that we are looking seriously at Curran with our first pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually haven't watched his highlights video on the AFL site, does he breakway to his left alot? From what I've seen he always looks to get onto his left (typical of most lefties) which can land him in trouble a bit, I'd say that's his main concern.

Definitly has the tools to convert to AFL, awesome kick at full tilt (which is obviously pretty quick) and can thump them home from outside fifty with ease. Great tackler as well. Can play

Yep goes to his left a lot.
And when he has to go right and wants to centre the ball he does that awkward straighten to the left thing and squeezes a left footer out. Which all left footers seem to do. But you are prone to getting caught / having the ball smothered a lot too. Hodge gets away with it because he has the smarts and awareness to side step.

Nothing particularly surprising in there, very similar to most of the bigfooty mocks. Sheridan and Boseley at 32,34; again, fairly predictable, would have preferred Forster who they have going to Hawks at 33, although Sheridan would be also a nice addition. Sheahan at 78, I could see us taking him or Gordon, but I wonder whether they'll punt on them being available as rookies.

Phelan has us taking Sheridan, Boseley, Merrett, Williams and Sheahan.

1 KPD 1 KPF 3 mids, 4 Vic incl 3 Falcons and 1 WA.

I have no problem with the first two picks and they are in fact likely if they get through-Boseley tested very well for a big guy and fills an obvious need, Sheridan is vanilla but he tested very well, has great endurance and works hard both ways and loves to win his own ball, which Wells likes. Grigg and Forster would tempt me, but I can't argue 32 and 34.

From there I disagree, though I like Merrett, if Bolger is on the board at 48 I pick him without a second thought and don't look back (just ahead of Paine, who I'd be similarly comfortable taking. I find it very hard to believe in what is a basically a three ruckman draft (in terms of really good prospects) with Longer, Bolger and then Downie as the late bolter, that Bolger gets anywhere near the 3rd round. Even with his foot injuries I don't see that happening.

All the players Phelan has picked have enough talent and potential but I don't think he's got the balance right, particularly when you look at the talls that were still available, it's likely if those guys were available on the night we'd definitely take more than 1 tall in our first 4 picks.

I also suspect we'll probably take one mature age player from somewhere, it'll be interesting to see who.

I'll agree to disagree.

Anyway, Buddha has informed me word in the twitterverse is that we are looking seriously at Curran with our first pick.

Doesn't surprise. A lot will depend on the medical reports, whichever club is most comfortable with them will probably be the one that takes the punt first.

He's definitely got ability and fits our needs well.

So will everyone else want to, and we're picking starting in the 30's in a compromised pool, so most of the guys with very good foot skills (unless they have real holes in other parts of their game) will be gone by then, so while I agree in an ideal world that's what we'll target, we'll need to be pragmatic about it. I suspect that we will take guys who can win their own ball rather than being just receivers and who are strong and competitive at the contested ball (Wells has made clear he values those criteria) and who work hard both ways and who are very competitive and have a good work ethic. We won't take guys with poor foot skills, but we will take guys with middling/average foot skills if they fulfil the rest of our criteria and are the best we can get at that pick.

Yes, and specifically we value extreme competitiveness, which is something that Chris Scott has talked about many times as the thing that really smacked him in the face when he came to the club.

That's why this line interested me in the Talia article: "I've just always been really competitive. I hate being beaten." Exactly what Scott has said about our senior players.

Sounds like our sort of kid.

I do agree, that's something in Talia that will rank him quite highly with us and you can bet he will have interviewed very well. Of an imperfect pool of KPD's, he's close to the best of them, and will come under serious consideration if he gets to us (which I still don't think he will get that far).

I do agree, that's something in Talia that will rank him quite highly with us and you can bet he will have interviewed very well. Of an imperfect pool of KPD's, he's close to the best of them, and will come under serious consideration if he gets to us (which I still don't think he will get that far).

P_O, have you seen the vision of McInnes? There is only limited vision of him but it's pretty impressive. What you can establish is that he kicks beautifully (left footer) and he has a nice side step. Good size as well. What are his deficiencies that you have heard?

What is the likleyhood of us taking Darrou?

He's competitive and we like that.

Can't see him going before 50 though.

P_O, have you seen the vision of McInnes? There is only limited vision of him but it's pretty impressive. What you can establish is that he kicks beautifully (left footer) and he has a nice side step. Good size as well. What are his deficiencies that you have heard?

His deficiencies are mainly that he's missed a fair bit of footy this year, which always makes it hard to rate where he'll drop. I haven't considered him for us as I doubted he'd get that far but he's be worth a look. Like Schade, he's one of the few defenders in this pool with real height, and he has good skills, which means he is definitely worth considering.

I've got us taking him at pick 48 in the other thread where we get to win a mercedes :cool:

32 - Brad McKenzie
34 - Tom Curran
48 - Fraser McInnes
66 - Jackson Merrett
78 - Michael Bussey
86 - Jed Bews

I've got us taking him at pick 48 in the other thread where we get to win a mercedes :cool:

32 - Brad McKenzie
34 - Tom Curran
48 - Fraser McInnes
66 - Jackson Merrett
78 - Michael Bussey
86 - Jed Bews

McKenzie is a pipedream to slide that far given his elite kicking and I'm fairly confident we won't take Bussey.

Like 34 though ;)

I thought (re the comp) I had a really good POD with Murdoch at 78 until everyone started rating him and stuffed that plan :D

I like pipe dreams !

I haven't even looked at the vid of Bussey to be honest.

On another note, I'm pretty sure we dont want the 'rock star' Marley at all either. Too risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back