2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Potential Draftee & Trade Watch - 2011

Agree with all of that. PO

My query on Lock is similar to Toy. He must have had some sort of talent yet for whatever reason his attitude has dropped off. Does that mean he will carry that attitude elsewhere? Perhaps Just a change of local or admin could result in a different player.

Think you right on Menz Jr 2012 but what type of player is he?

I think the trades we have done in the past show that nothing is beyond Wells imagination. Trade our R1 for 2 R2's etc , trade player for picks but if we did have 5 spots to fill it really falls our way if we are happy with our Rookies. Promote 3 and have two picks. The only issue would be apples for apples.

Drum , Milburn & Mooney ; some utility tall's
Blake ; going means we probably need another young ruck this year or next.
Ottens ; If he goes as well as Blake we definitely need one this year. A young West type that can play elsewhere would probably suit

Looks good for Walker and Bathie.

Reckon there's minimal chance of the club letting Otto retire even if he was inclined to do that. Methinks he'll be nursed through another year playing less than this year in addition to having a mentoring role with the up-n-comers. I suspect the thinking in Dawson still working out with the finals squad is part of that process.

Agree with all of that. PO

My query on Lock is similar to Toy. He must have had some sort of talent yet for whatever reason his attitude has dropped off. Does that mean he will carry that attitude elsewhere? Perhaps Just a change of local or admin could result in a different player.

Think you right on Menz Jr 2012 but what type of player is he?

I think the trades we have done in the past show that nothing is beyond Wells imagination. Trade our R1 for 2 R2's etc , trade player for picks but if we did have 5 spots to fill it really falls our way if we are happy with our Rookies. Promote 3 and have two picks. The only issue would be apples for apples.

Drum , Milburn & Mooney ; some utility tall's
Blake ; going means we probably need another young ruck this year or next.
Ottens ; If he goes as well as Blake we definitely need one this year. A young West type that can play elsewhere would probably suit

Looks good for Walker and Bathie.

Don't mind Lock, would consider as a rookie maybe.

On Toy, agree it's fair to have concerns based on this year's form, can't have a go at you there. One of my good mates who I talk to fairly regularly is one of his good mates as they went to school together and played a lot of footy with each other and he swears London to a brick that his attitude is good, but he's really homesick and hasn't settled (since his first contract year where he stayed in melbourne) and is down on confidence atm. It'd be somewhat of a gamble but I'd look into it, he's got a booming kick and a lot of talent. Probably the major issue would be due to their squeeze for list spots GC would want 1 for 1, i.e. they'd prefer one single pick to a pick and a player, and a lot of other vic clubs will have their first pick before ours. But if we could find a way to do a deal I'd look into it.

Agree that we need some talls, although other than Longer and Bolger who will be well gone before our pick, I don't really rate this ruck group. Rate the defenders a little more but still not that deep. So unless we're trading for a previously nominated player (via GWS) it might be something that has to wait until next year.

I agree a 2-3 or 3-2 split with picks and rookie elevations is what we'll probably expect to happen.

Here's a good little article on Troy
http://news-review-messenger.whereilive.com.au/news/story/troy-menzel-creates-bulldogs-history/

too young for this year's class as you can see but might be one to watch.

Reckon there's minimal chance of the club letting Otto retire even if he was inclined to do that. Methinks he'll be nursed through another year playing less than this year in addition to having a mentoring role with the up-n-comers. I suspect the thinking in Dawson still working out with the finals squad is part of that process.

I'd like to see Otto go on and I agree that arrangement mentoring wise would be great. Depends though, assuming his body is up to it, whether he'd be happy to take on that role, and whether if he only plays say 10 games, does he play VFL at all or just rest every second week? Would he be happy to do it if Daws comes on so well that a finals spot isn't guaranteed? (if we make it). I'd like to see it happen, but there'd be a few things like that for he and the club to talk about first.

Lock is of the Corey mould, around 192cm, a runner, we need more players of this size ATM, is he an Isaac Smith type, if yes, we should seriously consider.

What was his draft pick number?

Lock is of the Corey mould, around 192cm, a runner, we need more players of this size ATM, is he an Isaac Smith type, if yes, we should seriously consider.

What was his draft pick number?

No he's not Isaac Smith, hasn't got that pace, really like young Isaac.

Lock was a zone selection I think.

Did anyone hear a radio rumor this morning :
Mark Blake linked to Port trade with Mitch Banner coming to us?

Cant visualise Banner , at 179 he would be up against it getting into our side.

I don't mind Banner, although he's picking the wrong club to come to. Kid is an ok midfielder, would get regular games at say Richmond, but not here, has been hard done by with not getting more games at Port. Anyway, wouldn't be dead against but the kinda player you wouldn't give more than a 4th rounder for.

But the trade makes no sense to me, why would Port trade anything for Blake when they know they can get him for free when he's delisted?

From memory he was a big ball winner in the u-18s. Up against it to get a game in our side probably but we do need some inside mid options in reserve. Wouldn't be the worst pick up as a stop gap in comparison to a 60+ pick in the draft because let's face it Blake will just be delisted and free a spot up on the list anyway.

Banner was a good ball winner at the jets, I could live with him as you say in comparison to say our 3rd pick in this draft which would be 66.

But I reckon it's BS because Port could get Blake for nothing in the PSD.

Thought Callum Sinclair would have been the one we might show interest in considering we got a million 180cm players..
Lock is also in the height range we should be aiming for.....was capt of the Suns VFL side 2009, how did he perform?.... that's got to tell us something.

Did anyone hear a radio rumor this morning :
Mark Blake linked to Port trade with Mitch Banner coming to us?

Cant visualise Banner , at 179 he would be up against it getting into our side.

Seems an odd trade to me too. He really wouldn't be anything more than a handy backup mid - would he really want to move back to Vic for that? He was getting quite a few games in the second half of the year for Port wasn't he?

Still I think it is important that our VFL side is competitive. He would be useful here.

Seems an odd trade to me too. He really wouldn't be anything more than a handy backup mid - would he really want to move back to Vic for that? He was getting quite a few games in the second half of the year for Port wasn't he?

Still I think it is important that our VFL side is competitive. He would be useful here.

Does seem a bit odd, although maybe he just wants to get home and doesn't mind which club. I agree on your last sentence, I wouldn't mind another mid for the VFL squad, and given the lack of depth in the draft, it's worth considering.

Thought Callum Sinclair would have been the one we might show interest in considering we got a million 180cm players..
Lock is also in the height range we should be aiming for.....was capt of the Suns VFL side 2009, how did he perform?.... that's got to tell us something.

Agree on Sinclair.

Did spend some time in the Port 2's this year although most of that was because he was on the comeback from injury. Got into the 1's later in the year and played some reasonable games. I notice he got invited to the combine so obviously a few clubs have him on their radar. Would be a good fit for us with a later pick.

PO,

Just worry about the lack of the 190+ players on our list compared to 180ish.

We lost Laidler recently and Drums gone, not to mention the older guys like Corey Scarlett Ottens even Pods Alot of guys 190 and over are soon to depart and there's nothing coming through behind. Gillies is not up to it.
We really need to find a few taller types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PO,

Just worry about the lack of the 190+ players on our list compared to 180ish.

We lost Laidler recently and Drums gone, not to mention the older guys like Corey Scarlett Ottens even Pods Alot of guys 190 and over are soon to depart and there's nothing coming through behind. Gillies is not up to it.
We really need to find a few taller types.

Yeah no I do agree with you on both counts, although I hope Gillies can turn it around.

Let's not be critical though, Wells clearly smashed the 09 draft, it's early but 2010 is looking good, and he's got the longer term track record for us to trust that he knows what he's doing, so I'm sure with the amount of retirements we'll have, which means a lot of list turnover, he'll be focusing on talls at draft and trade.

This year in relation to talls we won't get a crack at Talia and I feel some of the better ones among the rest are older, so I'd be looking at maybe trying to use GWS to get 1 or 2 as pre listed players by trading a pick to them. Guys like Blee, Mohr, Hartigan etc, even Sinclair is probably eligible for that, as is Boseley if he nominated last year. That'd be something I'd be considering if I was in the seat atm.

Yeah no I do agree with you on both counts, although I hope Gillies can turn it around.

Let's not be critical though, Wells clearly smashed the 09 draft, it's early but 2010 is looking good, and he's got the longer term track record for us to trust that he knows what he's doing, so I'm sure with the amount of retirements we'll have, which means a lot of list turnover, he'll be focusing on talls at draft and trade.

This year in relation to talls we won't get a crack at Talia and I feel some of the better ones among the rest are older, so I'd be looking at maybe trying to use GWS to get 1 or 2 as pre listed players by trading a pick to them. Guys like Blee, Mohr, Hartigan etc, even Sinclair is probably eligible for that, as is Boseley if he nominated last year. That'd be something I'd be considering if I was in the seat atm.

Thanks for that PO, always interesting to get your view.

Walker and Bathie were belated picks but yet seem to have exciting possibilities, so I guess Mr Wells hasn't completely failed to add something.
I also think by now a serious question mark has to be inserted after Mitch Browns' name, I hope he has a career but another big forward would be nice.
Hate just dwelling on the taller group but, Mackie, Ling, Corey all around 190cm, that medium/tall utility, I'd like a couple of younger ones!

I'd be happy if we were able to take Boseley in the draft - a Geelong kid who by all reports has a good attitude and plenty of scope for improvement. The kid needs to put on a stack of weight to be competitive as a KPD at AFL level so hopefully he doesn't remain with a Mackie like ectomorphic body shape his whole career!

Whether he justifies our first pick being used on him though is debateable.

I'm still gung ho on trying to grab Stringer as that taller mid that Meto is referring to. It will be fascinating to see how Wells eventually uses that last Ablett compo pick - particularly now that there are a few more of them which dilutes its value somewhat.

I'd be happy if we were able to take Boseley in the draft - a Geelong kid who by all reports has a good attitude and plenty of scope for improvement. The kid needs to put on a stack of weight to be competitive as a KPD at AFL level so hopefully he doesn't remain with a Mackie like ectomorphic body shape his whole career!

Whether he justifies our first pick being used on him though is debateable.

I'm still gung ho on trying to grab Stringer as that taller mid that Meto is referring to. It will be fascinating to see how Wells eventually uses that last Ablett compo pick - particularly now that there are a few more of them which dilutes its value somewhat.

I like Boseley, has done some good jobs this year and seems to be going up everyone's rankings late. As you say, really needs to hit the gym so hard to know how good he will be until he does, but he reads the play well, spoils well, and the athletic potential is there.

In regards to the bolded we need to keep in mind our second pick will be either #47 or #48 which is pretty late, so if we have a player we really like we will need to "reach" with our first pick.

Hence why if we could find a tall or two who we like who has previously nominated and is eligible to be pre listed I'd be looking at something like our 1st #25 or #26 + our 2nd #47 or #48 for GWS 2nd #31 + pre listed player.

Thanks for that PO, always interesting to get your view.

Walker and Bathie were belated picks but yet seem to have exciting possibilities, so I guess Mr Wells hasn't completely failed to add something.
I also think by now a serious question mark has to be inserted after Mitch Browns' name, I hope he has a career but another big forward would be nice.
Hate just dwelling on the taller group but, Mackie, Ling, Corey all around 190cm, that medium/tall utility, I'd like a couple of younger ones!

Brown was always a long way off physically when we drafted him, even before his run of injuries, as he just had that splindly type of body shape. I always thought senior footy for him this year was a risk for that reason, and so it turned out to be. He's a real talent though and will make it if the body holds up, although I'm not sure if he'll be a true key forward, apart from the body issues his best asset is how well he reads the play for a tall combined with his hands, so he really needs to play as the 3rd or 4th tall and get on his bike around the ground, he'll do better that way because he's really not a pack mark type of player. So I still think we need to find another big tall to partner Hawkins long term, unless Vardy ends up becoming more of a forward, talls do take time to develop as I'm sure you know, although I reckon we can get another 3 or so good years out of Pods so fortunately Wells good decision to draft him gives us a bit of buffer time to find that next tall without too much of a performance drop in the meantime.

Both Bathie and Walker have real potential, Bathie in particular, and they've got bigger bodies to work with which we'll need in the backline soon enough. I'm hoping at least one gets elevated to the senior list, which I think will happen given our late picks, and I hope they both play a bit in the NAB Cup. This would allow us to get a tall in the main draft and another one or two on the rookie list and start developing from there.

I like Boseley, has done some good jobs this year and seems to be going up everyone's rankings late. As you say, really needs to hit the gym so hard to know how good he will be until he does, but he reads the play well, spoils well, and the athletic potential is there.

In regards to the bolded we need to keep in mind our second pick will be either #47 or #48 which is pretty late, so if we have a player we really like we will need to "reach" with our first pick.

Hence why if we could find a tall or two who we like who has previously nominated and is eligible to be pre listed I'd be looking at something like our 1st #25 or #26 + our 2nd #47 or #48 for GWS 2nd #31 + pre listed player.

Yes I would agree with that. I see this also as possibly a 2002 type draft where we took Mackie as a surprise pick. Although our pick this year will be much further down the list to that year I wonder whether Wells has a kid hiding in the bush that he has earmarked to take!!

If not then we may well have to take a player higher than may be expected in order to land a tall that we may like. I would be a little surprised if we take another mid sized midfielder at pick one even if on talent he is deserving of being taken around our pick.

Yes I would agree with that. I see this also as possibly a 2002 type draft where we took Mackie as a surprise pick. Although our pick this year will be much further down the list to that year I wonder whether Wells has a kid hiding in the bush that he has earmarked to take!!

If not then we may well have to take a player higher than may be expected in order to land a tall that we may like. I would be a little surprised if we take another mid sized midfielder at pick one even if on talent he is deserving of being taken around our pick.

So would I, although that would be one advantage of trying to target a tall as a pre listed player, because if we fill a need that way then it gives you the flexibility to go best available with the first live pick even if that happens to be a mid. Although even without a pre list Wells might feel comfortable to go best available because we'll have 3 or 4 spots on our rookie list and I can see a lot of talls getting through to the rookie this year, especially with most clubs taking fewer picks than last year.

I do agree that there might be some left field smokey drafting choices this year.

Great reading what you guys are thinking about, the potentials and their pro's and con's, keep it up guys you make B Footy interesting and informative.
Is Jed Bews worth a pick and how does that effect our pick choices as he's a father and son draftee, there would be others well in front of him more to our needs I would have thought?

Been thinking on the Banner thing.

We tend to look at it simple apples for apples terms , and at times it is. But not always. Like when Well traded and earlier pick get 3 later ones in 09. This deal landed us Vardy, Christensen and Cowan.Or like Ben Finnin came to Geelong as part of the Ronnie Burns trade. I dont think we ever wanted Finnin but it was done to grease the wheels of the trade.

So , perhaps there is a tactical reason beyond just football attributes to bring a player like Banner here

The only thing I say is - if he is an inside ball winner who knows he may be very useful to us. If Wells liked him originally and has seen him stagnate he may see a potential player going to waste.

PO could you explain the Pre-listed a bit more. A we saying any kid who nominated and has been missed can the be prelisted with out going thru the draft process?

Reading on one of the boards. A kid named Waylen Manson seems interesting . Any of our WA people seen him play. An Aboriginal kid who is around 195 , kicked 8 for the Colts. Certainly like to see some vision of him. Been described as a cross between Buddy and Lian Jarrah and I suppose could be anything or nothing. High risk no doubt but worth a look.

http://wafl.pro-stats.com.au/colts/web/player_profile?pid=1342393

Great reading what you guys are thinking about, the potentials and their pro's and con's, keep it up guys you make B Footy interesting and informative.
Is Jed Bews worth a pick and how does that effect our pick choices as he's a father and son draftee, there would be others well in front of him more to our needs I would have thought?

Depends how he goes at the combine, on current performance only maybe a third rounder, which would be a great bargain for us at pick 66, although he's a kid with a lot of athletic ability to if he smashes the athletic testing someone might bid a higher pick to force us to use on him. Even our second I wouldn't mind having to use given the draft depth, or lack thereof.

Been thinking on the Banner thing.

We tend to look at it simple apples for apples terms , and at times it is. But not always. Like when Well traded and earlier pick get 3 later ones in 09. This deal landed us Vardy, Christensen and Cowan.Or like Ben Finnin came to Geelong as part of the Ronnie Burns trade. I dont think we ever wanted Finnin but it was done to grease the wheels of the trade.

So , perhaps there is a tactical reason beyond just football attributes to bring a player like Banner here

The only thing I say is - if he is an inside ball winner who knows he may be very useful to us. If Wells liked him originally and has seen him stagnate he may see a potential player going to waste.

PO could you explain the Pre-listed a bit more. A we saying any kid who nominated and has been missed can the be prelisted with out going thru the draft process?

Reading on one of the boards. A kid named Waylen Manson seems interesting . Any of our WA people seen him play. An Aboriginal kid who is around 195 , kicked 8 for the Colts. Certainly like to see some vision of him. Been described as a cross between Buddy and Lian Jarrah and I suppose could be anything or nothing. High risk no doubt but worth a look.

http://wafl.pro-stats.com.au/colts/web/player_profile?pid=1342393

Prelisted thing is where GWS have access to put 10 players straight on their list (hence the term prelist, as they put them on their list during trade week, before the draft) who have either previously been on an AFL list (for example Cornes Brogan etc) or who have previously nominated for the draft. Mzungu had previously niminated for the draft, and Faulks had been listed at Sydney, hence why Freo could get them this way, very cheap, for example they got Mzungu for a downgrade from pick 38 to 44. Now I think with the exception of Krakoeur and Richardson GC gave these guys away far too cheap, so GWS will demand a higher price, but so long as the price is fair, then that's fine. For example 40's ish picks for good state league players I'm fine with, and it could help us circumvent having late picks in the draft and everyone taking the talls first. Depends on what we have to use on Bews of course since F/S bidding is the week before trade week, but we should definitely be looking into these deals. If GWS getting older guys on their list (e.g. Power Cornes Brogan etc) it indicates to me they'll trade some of the 10 pre listeds away as they won't want a side full of mature agers with all their kids stuck in the NEAFL, so we could possibly get someone this way (for example Blee I mentioned, among others).

Manson has stacks of potential, he's come on the scene late and every scout is talking about him. Although I think like Jurrah he'd never nominated before so we can't get him this way.

In terms of tall forwards in the draft (depending on what we get as pre listed players) I'd be looking at Dobosz at 25/26, has a fair bit of potential (like Mihocek too as a defender) and there's another Tas kid called Ben Brown who I like, did his knee last year but has come back well and played ruck/fwd at the champs. Possible late/rookie pick.

Thanks for that. I remember the situation now with GC. They were a cagey as henhouse foxes last year. Doubt GWS could match them.

It seems GC may now put P4 in play for an experienced player, although this may just be an ambit claim seeing what gets floated. But if they do , I wonder if they feel they stuffed it up. Last year they had 16 guys they could pick now they trade for someone?

With GWS , they seem happy to gather old farts and embryos.Maybe its due to the two year span for out of contract players. I wonder who they have in mind for their Danny Stanley type. Mature body ready to play etc. Someone like Simpkin would be good for them imo. Perhaps with another player we may be able to work a deal.

we need young tall defenders because our trio, scarlett, j.hunt, lonergan are getting old. how about cameron o'shea from port. won 3km time trial with port and is 197cm, 19 years old...

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back