Mega Thread 2011 Trade Talk (not draft talk)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not always. I don't think Sydney paid overs for Mattner, Mumford, Kennedy, McGlynn etc.

Those 4 with the possible exception of Mattner were more sort of borderline best 22 while Tippett is one of the first selected for the Crows and Beams is a premiership player. Unless they are willing to walk out on the club they will not be traded cheaply.

Haha, yeah I love all the cries of " don't give our draft picks, we need to keep youth". As has been said already, Tippett is 24 atm. If he's too old to be around in our next premiership window, then bugger me, I'll jump off this ship now

The number one reason I would trade in Beams and Tippett is the fact that unlike TJ, Fev, Buchanan ect. they actually want to come to OUR club, and I believe we are safer using our early pick's on ready made player's that will stay at our club, rather than a 18 year old from interstate that want's to go home after 4 year's.
It sound's like a much safer and smarter investment, and now that we have the go home factor situation in our favor for once, I think we should cease the moment.

How about the fact that if they pay Tippett over 600K which is what he is on then it will make it tougher to resign the likes of Redden, Hanley, Polec, Lester, Karnezis, pick 8, etc.?

How about the fact that if they pay Tippett over 600K which is what he is on then it will make it tougher to resign the likes of Redden, Hanley, Polec, Lester, Karnezis, pick 8, etc.?

Who on our supremely talented and remarkably deep list do you think is taking up all of our salary cap currently?

Who on our supremely talented and remarkably deep list do you think is taking up all of our salary cap currently?

I don't know, but the fact that Dean Warren said it would take at least 5 years to clean up the Fevola mess makes me think that bringing in somebody that's getting overpaid by at least 150K will only make things more difficult especially with Gubby sniffing out the likes of Hanley and Redden.

I don't know, but the fact that Dean Warren said it would take at least 5 years to clean up the Fevola mess makes me think that bringing in somebody that's getting overpaid by at least 150K will only make things more difficult especially with Gubby sniffing out the likes of Hanley and Redden.

I think if Collingwood can manage to keep most of their list, we should be able to keep the minimal amount of talent we have. Besides, even though Polec has already resigned, you dont take into account the salary of a first year player who has played 3 games or in Lesters case -1 game. Every team has at least 1 player who is paid that sort of money who is crucial to their side like buddy or Cloke etc

I think if Collingwood can manage to keep most of their list, we should be able to keep the minimal amount of talent we have. Besides, even though Polec has already resigned, you dont take into account the salary of a first year player who has played 3 games

Collingwood didn't have to pay Fev $2 mil. for 19 games. They have guys like Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas and Cloke being underpaid. I don't wanna start another Fev argument but with all the talk of not overpaying the likes of Rich and Clark I can't see why Tippett should be an exception given he is grossly overpaid.

The quote at the time (which off the top of my head was something like "it will take 3, 4, 5 years to sort out our salary cap") was sensationalised to "up to 5 years"...and now you're blowing it up further as "at least 5 years. ;)

Looking at our list I simply can't see how we wouldn't have room for a big fish - especially with the departure of Clark, Power and Fev's legacy (after this year). I guess we'll soon see.

Collingwood didn't have to pay Fev $2 mil. for 19 games. They have guys like Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas and Cloke being underpaid. I don't wanna start another Fev argument but with all the talk of not overpaying the likes of Rich and Clark I can't see why Tippett should be an exception given he is grossly overpaid.

We've got guys who can play Richs role and he needs to earn a higher salary. I love rich, but 1 season doesn't make a career. there aren't too many guys who can be as versatile as Tippett who could kick 50-60 goals in a season and back up in the ruck. Tippett has shown more than Clark in their respective careers thus far too IMO

The quote at the time (which off the top of my head was something like "it will take 3, 4, 5 years to sort out our salary cap") was sensationalised to "up to 5 years"...and now you're blowing it up further as "at least 5 years. ;)

Looking at our list I simply can't see how we wouldn't have room for a big fish - especially with the departure of Clark, Power and Fev's legacy (after this year). I guess we'll soon see.

Yep, pretty sure the quote was more along the lines of "It could take up to 5 years".

Losing Sherman, Brennan, Rischitelli last year was probably close to $1 million of the lions cap. Charman probably in the 300-400, Clark was in the 450-500, Power probably 250-300, Not sure on Fev as I think some of his salary is counted in next years cap but it looks like we are well placed to either keep the players we want to or bring in a big fish.

Yep, pretty sure the quote was more along the lines of "It could take up to 5 years".

Losing Sherman, Brennan, Rischitelli last year was probably close to $1 million of the lions cap. Charman probably in the 300-400, Clark was in the 450-500, Power probably 250-300, Not sure on Fev as I think some of his salary is counted in next years cap but it looks like we are well placed to either keep the players we want to or bring in a big fish.

Yeah, sorry, I meant "next year" for Fev (I've already mentally jumped ahead to next season, how sad's that?).

As for the 'up to 5 years' I distinctly remember when watching the presser he threw out a few numbers (I think it was "3, 4 maybe 5 years") which the media duly reported as "up to 5 years". Not inaccurate, but also sensationalist (*shock*).

*shrug* We'll see soon enough if the club goes big game hunting. It could be one reason why they nominated a pick this year - anticipating they'd be offloading their earlier picks in trades (prob unlikely though).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Landing Tippett and Beams in theory should cost us our first 3 draft picks and a player. If we can get 16 from Freo i would probably like to keep it. Tippett might not be a superstar but would give us a more than handy forward ruckman and Beams would add to our midfield tremendously, you can never have enough goal kicking mids in your team.

To whoever asked about tradeweek radio, apparently it kicks off at 8am Monday and runs until 2pm the following Monday, via afl.com.au

To whoever asked about tradeweek radio, apparently it kicks off at 8am Monday and runs until 2pm the following Monday, via afl.com.au

Couldn't be bothered moving my wrists to type in afl and check it up:p

Good fun to listen to while at uni studying...

On the salary Cap note. Does everyone agree that lions higher office were parhaps over paying some players to much? Isn't that what dean warren said ? Glad this is being worked out if true because we didn't have the sort of list in 09 that should have been under cap pressure...

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls was delisted by WCE... wasn't he supposed to be some gun in the making? Or is the delisting so that they can rookie list him again?

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls was delisted by WCE... wasn't he supposed to be some gun in the making? Or is the delisting so that they can rookie list him again?
JON won't play AFL again.He was delisted because he was a clogger.

Got to set aside 400,000 for Luke Power.

Am I the only one who thinks Tippett is massively overrated?

Got to set aside 400,000 for Luke Power.

Am I the only one who thinks Tippett is massively overrated?

Nah... asking too much $$$$$$ -probably on a replacement for Clark..he's got the overated for top $'s down pat...;)

What would most people pay Tippett, remembering that the majority of posters on this board would have paid Clark no more than $450K and that Kerr has spoken out against overpaying players?

That's a very interesting question. If I was on the board, I wouldn't want to risk team disharmony by paying a newcomer too much. I'd cap it at $500,000.

He is a bit like Clark in that he hasn't found that level of consistency as yet. That would count us out probably as he is probably earning a whole lot more at the Crows.

Let the bidding begin.........

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dogs-tigers-keen-on-tom-gillies/story-fn69a32t-1226159598968

...WEST COAST could help deliver Adelaide star Kurt Tippett to the Lions.

AFL trade week begins on Monday and the Eagles have made a pre-emptive strike for a possible three-way deal that could mean departing Lions star Mitch Clark goes home to Perth and Gold Coaster Tippett returns to Queensland.

The Eagles have contacted the Lions to express their interest in Clark.

Bitter West Australian rival Fremantle was considered the front-runner for the 23-year-old but has been caught napping by the Eagles, who have wasted no time since midfielder Brad Ebert told the club he wanted to be traded to a South Australian team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back