2012-13 Champions League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

sorry but they didn't win the champions league just because they were lucky
Have to laugh at this. So Mario Gomez' missed sitters, Robben's laughable penalty and Barcelona's complacency among other things all game down to Chelsea's ability? Rubbish. Bookmark it here and now, Chelsea have absolutely no chance of winning with their current squad. No Drogba? No determination.

Also, not saying we're favourites to finish 4th by a long stretch, I just think the Chavs are the ones to beat, not Arsenal, who I think are clearly better.

Made the most of our chances this morning with two well constructed and one very well taken goal. Chuffed to say we probably secured as impressive a result as we have in our short history picking up our first ever group stage win, not bad either considering it was away to good opposition!

We won't beat Munich or Valencia but it is nice to see us sitting atop the group, for now at least. If we can get anything out of either home tie against Valencia or Munich then we should at least be able to kick on in Europa.

Oh and Alex Hleb!

Have to laugh at this. So Mario Gomez' missed sitters, Robben's laughable penalty and Barcelona's complacency among other things all game down to Chelsea's ability? Rubbish. Bookmark it here and now, Chelsea have absolutely no chance of winning with their current squad. No Drogba? No determination.

i don't think they'll win it this season either. But it wasn't 'luck' that made gomez miss sitters, it was the fact his finishing wasn't good enough, same with the other problems. Chelsea made the most of their chances while the opposition made huge mistakes and paid the price, they didn't cheat so therefore a win is a win

We dominated mate, you had 2 shots on target for 2 goals, and Hazard should have got a penalty. Consider yourselves lucky. Well outplayed.

Watched the game with one eye open I see:oops:
Definately not a penalty

And my post was in reference to Juve hitting the post late in the game

Zlatan clearly enjoyed his goal...

gBmWU.jpg

Fortunate draw for Chelsea
I disagree.
But after having a few hours to think about it, I'll take the point. I was so gutted when we conceded 10 from time though.

Really not sure what GrandBlue is going on about. We clearly had a couple of golden chances to score in the second half; thinking particularly of Mata when he could have teed up Torres to make it 3-1. Instead he shot and missed by half a yard. We could have won this match.

Juventus are a great team so a draw against them isn't a bad result.

So happy with Oscar's match. Not only did he score a couple of firecrackers, but also took Pirlo out of the game - arguably the best regista in the world. Hopefully that ankle injury isn't too bad.

Mikel was utterly woeful. He was directly responsible for that second goal in giving the ball away (JT's defending didn't help), and consistently got caught in possession. He's had a pretty good start to the season so I'm prepared to write this one off as an aberration, but please don't play like that again John.

Cole was excellent, otherwise I thought everyone else either had an average/good-ish match, or was below their best.

I disagree.
But after having a few hours to think about it, I'll take the point. I was so gutted when we conceded 10 from time though.

Really not sure what GrandBlue is going on about. We clearly had a couple of golden chances to score in the second half; thinking particularly of Mata when he could have teed up Torres to make it 3-1. Instead he shot and missed by half a yard. We could have won this match.

Juventus are a great team so a draw against them isn't a bad result.

So happy with Oscar's match. Not only did he score a couple of firecrackers, but also took Pirlo out of the game - arguably the best regista in the world. Hopefully that ankle injury isn't too bad.

Mikel was utterly woeful. He was directly responsible for that second goal in giving the ball away (JT's defending didn't help), and consistently got caught in possession. He's had a pretty good start to the season so I'm prepared to write this one off as an aberration, but please don't play like that again John.

Cole was excellent, otherwise I thought everyone else either had an average/good-ish match, or was below their best.
It's pretty exciting having players like Oscar and Hazard come into the side. We look awesome in attack this year, our weak point strangely enough, appears to be our strong point from last year, the defence. They've been good for the most part, but little lapses are costing us, particularly the second Juv goal last night. Woeful pass from Mikel. I'm slightly concerned with Torres still, not sure we can have him as our lone striker all year, but there's every chance he'll prove me wrong :thumbsu: What are your thoughts on Lampards spot in the side? Still worthy, or is it time for him to wind down and let the youth take charge?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty exciting having players like Oscar and Hazard come into the side. We look awesome in attack this year, our weak point strangely enough, appears to be our strong point from last year, the defence. They've been good for the most part, but little lapses are costing us, particularly the second Juv goal last night. Woeful pass from Mikel. I'm slightly concerned with Torres still, not sure we can have him as our lone striker all year, but there's every chance he'll prove me wrong :thumbsu: What are your thoughts on Lampards spot in the side? Still worthy, or is it time for him to wind down and let the youth take charge?
I still think Lamps deserves a spot in the XI. He's been so good for so long, he's earned the right to go out on his own terms IMO. Obviously he isn't the player he was 5 seasons ago, but I still think he's valuable.

Couple of things though - he needs to be better defensively. That's what his new position requires, and he played it to perfection towards the end of last season. Seems as though he's let his natural instincts take over a bit so far this season, which leaves the defense pretty vulnerable.
I agree with you in saying he needs to wind down a bit. Still play the big matches by all means, but matches like the one coming up on the weekend against Stoke, I don't think he should be playing. He doesn't need to be the 50 match/season man anymore, leave that to the younger guys. Give his spot to a Romeu or Ramires for this weekend's match and do similarly when/if he plays midweek Cup games.
Also, having Mikel in the side doesn't really help him, particularly when he puts in performances like he did last night where he was just plain trash in every facet of the game imaginable. Marouane Fellaini is going to be on the market sometime within the next 12 months, and I reckon Lamps more than anyone would benefit from having his presence in the side. He would screen the defense a heap better than Mikel - which would allow Lampard to get forward without it being as big of a risk like it is atm.

I still think Lamps deserves a spot in the XI. He's been so good for so long, he's earned the right to go out on his own terms IMO. Obviously he isn't the player he was 5 seasons ago, but I still think he's valuable.
No. He's not good enough in the deeper role and his partnership with Mikel is going to do us no favours as the season goes on. We should have been phasing him out over this season but for some reason we sold all of our central mids and didn't buy any replacements.

We dominated mate, you had 2 shots on target for 2 goals, and Hazard should have got a penalty. Consider yourselves lucky. Well outplayed.

Juventus looked by far the much better side. Marchisio was dominant but he just couldn't finish. Juve were a bit sloppy in the first when passing out of defence but some of the one touch football was great to watch from Juve. Vidal was killing the Chelsea midfield and on one leg too. Pirlo was restricted fairly well I thought. Oscar scored an absolute scorcher and his first was a bit lucky.

Chelsea were better first half, and Juventus second. Chelsea's two goals game from some incredible luck, then some absolute brilliance.
Juventus seemed to battle harder for their goals. I don't think Juventus were lucky.

Need some neutral perspective I think, people who watched the whole game.

Remove this Banner Ad

2012-13 Champions League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back