Preview 2012 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just to clarify we get the Number 1 pick for next year with pick 6 and get pick 21 from them?

So firstly Adelaide's Compo pick comes straight after Adelaide's pick. So it may not be pick 21.
Secondly, I'm 99% sure Martin will go at pick 1
Thirdly, there's no way in hell that will happen.

Do you have Martin going before Hogan in the mini-draft this year? A lot of people don't, similarly, a lot of people don't have Martin going at number 1 next year should he be available. I think on Knightmare's Power Ratings he was only 4th - as an example.

O'Meara (as a comparison), was rated as a number 1 draft pick in the following year.

1. I predicted Adelaide will finish second (per my post). Their compo pick will therefore be pick 21.
2. Ok, I guess a number out there don't agree with you, and have Hogan at pick 1. Either way, the mini-draft pick 2 will herald a great player for whoever takes it (be that Martin or Hogan).
3. I presume you are doubting the reasonableness of the trade for mini-draft pick 2.

The only real way to value that pick, is to look at what Adelaide paid for mini-draft pick 2 last year (which got them Brad Crouch). I wrote my post from memory, which was that Adelaide traded pick 10 for it.

Double checked and I stand corrected, they traded:

Adelaide gave: Pick 10 and pick 21 (first round compo, probably valued as a mid first round at the time of the trade)
Adelaide received: Mini-draft pick 2 and Luke Brown.

On that basis, I still think that trading our pick 6 for the mini-draft pick 2 alone would be overs, but not by too much. Maybe we'd get a second or third-rounder or something thrown in.

I wouldnt mind us taking the best available outside midfielders with our first picks then having a crack at Hogan as he seems to be miles ahead of any KPP in this years draft. Maybe we need to bite the bullet by looking to our future and getting rid of Minson to get Hogan..

Looking forward Minson is 27 and i highly doubt with Campbell & Roughead coming through Minson will be our first choice ruckman at our next tilt at premiership..

Troy Menzal anyone...? He is that medium forward who can "Do it all"...
So is Stringer, though? and he is far more highly rated by professional recruiters. Even with his leg break, i see him as a fast josh kennedy type big bodied midfielder/Clearance player, but with a massive first 15m burst that is equal to that of grif imo. He can also go forward and have an impact as he's 192cm and over 90kg.

I see Menzel as more of an alan didak but in the midfield, rather than the high half forward role. I'd liken him to a steve johnson when he's playing on ball with that creative spark that makes something out of nothing. He can also run to the right spots in the forward line, as seen with his 15 goals in two games for SA in the 18's champs.

I see stringer and menzel as near equals on talent, but stringer just has that dominating feeling where he is just such an influential player. Game changer is probably the best words to describe him. When he's hot, he's bloody hot. Id like you to try and tag him out of the game. just monsters the opposition, and its not because of his size, its his attack on the footy and clean skills. With a preseason to fix his broken leg, i see him becoming a regular senior player next year. He could even turn out the equal of Goddard in future years. EXCITED.

I dont know what im more excited for this season to end or this years draft..

Will be a big one with this draft could set our future up please oh please dont f*** this up doggies!

Posted in here a while ago and gave my power rankings on our draft prospects
My reevaluated rankings are as follow:

1. Thompas
2. Martin (Mini-draft)
3. Mayes
4. Garlett
5. Stringer (if he gets back on track and finishes the year off really well)

Still believe Melbourne can finish above us, fingers are crossed.

My rankings of how I want us to go are:

Toumpas (I don't think he'll be available)
Stringer
Mayes
Wines
Garlett

I agree with this although i wouldnt mind throwing Hogan or Martin from the minidraft in over maybe an inside mid like Wines..

how much of a risk is it getting Stringer with his broken leg
There's always a risk, but it's the same with every player. Teams passed on Joel Selwood because he had suspect hips (i think it was hips anyway), and now he's a gun. Imo, there is enough potential reward to take the risk. He could end up being the best player in the draft.

There's always a risk, but it's the same with every player. Teams passed on Joel Selwood because he had suspect hips (i think it was hips anyway), and now he's a gun. Imo, there is enough potential reward to take the risk. He could end up being the best player in the draft.
well in that case id take him really easy next year and just keep him at willy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better forward or mid? and any ideas what position he might be playing when he reaches AFL?

well in that case id take him really easy next year and just keep him at willy
Depends how he'd go with an AFL pre-season really. He'll probably be eased into it by whoever takes him, but I think that if he was right on top of his training and everything you could give him a go in the seniors.

Better forward or mid? and any ideas what position he might be playing when he reaches AFL?
He'd play both mid and forward at AFL. Hard to say what he's best at. I probably prefer him in the middle, and then drift down forward.

He'd play both mid and forward at AFL. Hard to say what he's best at. I probably prefer him in the middle, and then drift down forward.
I feel quite robbed with Stringer, my interest with the kids is only out of curiosity so Ive only ever seen 'post-leg' Stringer. Through my reading and the mocks at his peak he sounds phenomenol, potentially better then Whitfield but what Ive seen first hand is a big, strong lump of a guy with a lot of weight over the kids hes been playing against who can no doubt take a mark, kick a goal and win a clearance but wouldnt have been seen as a standout without past performance. Where hes at currently with his footy does worry me a bit

I feel quite robbed with Stringer, my interest with the kids is only out of curiosity so Ive only ever seen 'post-leg' Stringer. Through my reading and the mocks at his peak he sounds phenomenol, potentially better then Whitfield but what Ive seen first hand is a big, strong lump of a guy with a lot of weight over the kids hes been playing against who can no doubt take a mark, kick a goal and win a clearance but wouldnt have been seen as a standout without past performance. Where hes at currently with his footy does worry me a bit
This is where I think the interviews with clubs will play a big part for him. From all I've heard (i've never talked to him, just seen him play a bunch of times), he sounds very committed to footy, and making it, so if he strongly sends that message across, I think he'll be taken pretty early.

This is where I think the interviews with clubs will play a big part for him. From all I've heard (i've never talked to him, just seen him play a bunch of times), he sounds very committed to footy, and making it, so if he strongly sends that message across, I think he'll be taken pretty early.
Not only that but his medical will be massively scrutinised, he might have all the drive and commitment in the world but it wont mean much if his body simply cant do it anymore. What I saw at the champs was a kid with more mass and strength then anyone who could really bully guys off the footy and steam roll tackles, at AFL level he wont be the biggest fish in the pond though. From all Ive read he has the talent to deserve a top 5 pick, without having seen it with my own eyes though I wouldn't risk it. Comparisons have been made with Goddard and Pavlich but at the champs he was more a Stewart Crameri type. You obviously have seen him at his peak but just for me I feel like I've missed the great white whale with some of the talk surrounding the kid.

Do you have Martin going before Hogan in the mini-draft this year? A lot of people don't, similarly, a lot of people don't have Martin going at number 1 next year should he be available. I think on Knightmare's Power Ratings he was only 4th - as an example.

O'Meara (as a comparison), was rated as a number 1 draft pick in the following year.

1. I predicted Adelaide will finish second (per my post). Their compo pick will therefore be pick 21.
2. Ok, I guess a number out there don't agree with you, and have Hogan at pick 1. Either way, the mini-draft pick 2 will herald a great player for whoever takes it (be that Martin or Hogan).
3. I presume you are doubting the reasonableness of the trade for mini-draft pick 2.

The only real way to value that pick, is to look at what Adelaide paid for mini-draft pick 2 last year (which got them Brad Crouch). I wrote my post from memory, which was that Adelaide traded pick 10 for it.

Double checked and I stand corrected, they traded:

Adelaide gave: Pick 10 and pick 21 (first round compo, probably valued as a mid first round at the time of the trade)
Adelaide received: Mini-draft pick 2 and Luke Brown.

On that basis, I still think that trading our pick 6 for the mini-draft pick 2 alone would be overs, but not by too much. Maybe we'd get a second or third-rounder or something thrown in.

As I said before, I think Martin has the potential to be the best in the competition. I'm certain he's a better talent then Hogan.
I'm baffled knightmare has Martin at 4, he was voted 2nd best the the championships by experts (I think by only 1 point) and the best for WA. He also played one less game then Hogan. He has a massive amount of upside to come as well. Perhaps he didn't see him in the Vic Country game. Hogan was pretty good, but Martin was just something else.
I hadn't heard that Martin's dad is a bit of trouble? So ok, maybe this could be an issue. I think we would be very lucky if he got to mini draft pick two though.

I think that trade you mentioned is easily in our favour. I really think your underselling the talents of both Hogan and Martin. Pick 6 would not be overs.

Not only that but his medical will be massively scrutinised, he might have all the drive and commitment in the world but it wont mean much if his body simply cant do it anymore. What I saw at the champs was a kid with more mass and strength then anyone who could really bully guys off the footy and steam roll tackles, at AFL level he wont be the biggest fish in the pond though. From all Ive read he has the talent to deserve a top 5 pick, without having seen it with my own eyes though I wouldn't risk it. Comparisons have been made with Goddard and Pavlich but at the champs he was more a Stewart Crameri type. You obviously have seen him at his peak but just for me I feel like I've missed the great white whale with some of the talk surrounding the kid.

He was more a midfielder as a 16 year old, his clearance work was pretty phenomenol. Very Strong. Doesn't look as explosive now which is a worry. It has really hurt his game. I'm a bit on the fence with him, I saw him kick 10 goals in the TAC and then saw him have a very poor championships.

Commitment cannot be question, I think most recruiters already know.

He's a good kid.

We need to give due diligence if we are contemplating Stringer, I would hate to end up with another Walsh on our hands - high draft pick who played 2 games, injury prone.:(

We need to give due diligence if we are contemplating Stringer, I would hate to end up with another Walsh on our hands - high draft pick who played 2 games, injury prone.:(
Only 1 game, and that was the MC being overly generous. He kicked a goal, I think, but did little else.

Maybe MC was covering Clayton's backside - no top 5 pick since the mid-90s has failed to play a game of AFL, but that's nearly what happened in 2002 with Walsh. In fairness to Clayton there were quite a few clubs who rated Walsh, IIRC. And in fairness to Walsh injury was a factor but he never did show anything to justify his #4 selection.

Before the mid-90s the draft was much more a hit-or-miss affair, with no draft camps and not much of the deep research that goes on these days. It's unthinkable that we'd butcher it with two picks in the top 6 or 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back