2012 Draft - Selections: 10 (Daniher), 34, 51, 53, 73, 88, 101, 106 (Baguley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Im against having 6 or so picks in one national draft, just because its very rare that you find any good players with picks 80 onwards. So midfield depth is a place we got found wanting yet your happy to get rid of 3-4 of them.

I think the 5 (NLM, Reimers, Lonergan, Prismall, Dyson) need to be phased out over the next 2-3 years not this year. We know Hille, Flecther arnt that far away from retiring so i agree we dont want t be in a position where we need to delist most of them next year along with possibly 3 retirees (Gumby).

The key is to get earlier draft picks - We should get involved in the Tippett trade - Thrown them a Pears - To get the deal done.

Try to trade out pears/reimers and get two extra picks in the ND - preferably in the top 40.

I want EFC too be creative.

When Yoda says 6 picks in the ND - he really means 4 live picks - Joe D is one and possibly a rookie upgrade.

WE need to move on the fringe dwellers.

Hard to say with Lonergan being their around 35. Some of the well known BF mock predictors have had him anyway from pick 12-50. His draft camp has been overrated but should still see him go before 35.

Im happy to use pick 69 this year. We will definitely use pick 51 (55).

I dont really understand the thought behind getting rid of mature aged, ready to go fringe dwellers for skinny not ready, 18 year old fringe dwellers?

When Yoda says 6 picks in the ND - he really means 4 live picks - Joe D is one and possibly a rookie upgrade.

WE need to move on the fringe dwellers.
"Fringe dwellers" are exactly what we need. It can also be classified as "depth" which is what you need to win premierships

"Fringe dwellers" are exactly what we need. It can also be classified as "depth" which is what you need to win premierships

Fringe dwellers like Reimers/Prismall/Lonergan - You don't get it! - We are ordinary because we hold on to players too long - and the same players lack ambition - not wanting to move clubs - At least Richards/Houli showed ambition.

Fringe dwellers like Reimers/Prismall/Lonergan - You don't get it! - We are ordinary because we hold on to players too long - and the same players lack ambition - not wanting to move clubs - At least Richards/Houli showed ambition.
No, you don't get it. We were ordinary because we had too many young players who had talent but not the experience we needed them to have. And now that we have the possibility of having that depth you want to get rid of it. Mitch Morton was depth at Sydney, and then he won them the flag.

No, you don't get it. We were ordinary because we had too many young players who had talent but not the experience we needed them to have. And now that we have the possibility of having that depth you want to get rid of it. Mitch Morton was depth at Sydney, and then he won them the flag.

The young guys shouldnt have been playing if guys like Prismall, Riemers etc were even good enough (bit rough on Pris) to even be considered 'depth'.

ant555 any guys you would look at around the 50/53 mark?

As for a few blokes who may be around at 32

Tim Broomhead- can play up and down the ground, i have seen more of him as a forward and half back but have seen him in the middle and he can get the job done. Good skills, finds the right targets a majority of the time and has a good engine. Solid enough over head mark and works hard into space and rarely is not in a position to be an option as a team mate.
May already be gone as he does tick a few boxes.

Jesse Lonergan - a few have wraps on him and there was no doubt he was Tassies best player but i am not a huge fan as unlike some i do not think his disposal by foot / decisions are as good as others say. Is certainly hard at it and can win clearances, wins a bit more of the ball than Sam but other than that i think he is pretty much the same and if we are going to delist Lonergan and move on then i see no reason to replace him with a virtual copy.

Nathan Wright - has missed a bit of footy but had a strong finish to the year. High flying half back flanker/midfielder with pace. Plays a similar game to Heppel but not as reliable by foot.

Nathan Hrovat solid mid who is pretty good in most areas but maybe not a star in one particular area. Good inside ball winner who finds options. work rate first class, skills good enough and kick the ball 50 meters. Not really quick but does manage to get himself out of trouble with footy nouse.

Rory Atkins forward / midfielder with very good skills. can win the ball in the middle and be a dangerous forward. The draw back for me is he does not back it up week in and week out or quarter by quarter. can be a very dangerous player but can also be almost invisible at times.

Saw a couple of games from Nathan Wright, really not entirely sure what the fuss is over. Didn't 'stand' out like some have suggested. Sure, uses it well, reads the play well, does a lot of things right, but what x factor does he have? Id be surprised to see him go before 30. Id love a guy like him though, potentiall high reward.

Big fan of Rory Atkins, the Calder B&F winner in a very good line up that included O'Rourke, Daniher, Plowman (who all missed games during the year). Atkins impressed me with his ability to win the ball inside or out, his ability to finish in front of goal and genuine x factor.

Lonergan seems to be a bit more a ball winner than SAmmy Ant, from the few games I have seen of him. Certainly displayed some outstanding attributes (clearance king, ball winner). Do agree his skills sometimes let him down, but only the truly elite players have consistently good skills (now im just making excuses for him :D).

Am I the only one who wants to keep Prismall? He hasn't met our expectations, but he's a proven ball-winner and is likely to be better than anything we draft late or as a rookie.

Age counts against him, but throw him a one year deal. Reimers should be delisted, as he's never showed consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonergan seems to be a bit more a ball winner than SAmmy Ant, from the few games I have seen of him. Certainly displayed some outstanding attributes (clearance king, ball winner). Do agree his skills sometimes let him down, but only the truly elite players have consistently good skills (now im just making excuses for him :D).
But at divvie 2 Under 18s?
You know, where Laycock & Hislop & Austin Lucy looked like good things.

The young guys shouldnt have been playing if guys like Prismall, Riemers etc were even good enough (bit rough on Pris) to even be considered 'depth'.

ant555 any guys you would look at around the 50/53 mark?
no, what I'm saying is they were the young blokes, and are now the depth. That was roughly 4 years ago.

Saw a couple of games from Nathan Wright, really not entirely sure what the fuss is over. Didn't 'stand' out like some have suggested. Sure, uses it well, reads the play well, does a lot of things right, but what x factor does he have? Id be surprised to see him go before 30. Id love a guy like him though, potentiall high reward.

Big fan of Rory Atkins, the Calder B&F winner in a very good line up that included O'Rourke, Daniher, Plowman (who all missed games during the year). Atkins impressed me with his ability to win the ball inside or out, his ability to finish in front of goal and genuine x factor.

The danger in what you are saying is i only saw then a couple of times, there are heaps of guys out there who i would write off after a couple of games but you can not do it.
As far as Wright goes i am just posting guys who will be most likely be 30 plus, they are random players and in now way am i endorsing them to be our picks. Even if i went just on the 5 games i saw Wright play i would probably dismiss him as well but it was watching the games again on the disc and then the cut packages of his games that you pick up a few things that make you say this kid has a few things he can do well.
You have to remember drafting is not really about picking the blokes who do things right more often than not, pretty much anyone can find them, it is about finding the faults and working up a list of those you think are fixable.

As for Jesse i was comparing his under 18 form to that of Sams at under 18 level and not the AFL form, have seen Jesse play 10 or so games in the past couple of seasons and he should make it at AFL level but i just don't rate him as highly as others do.

It is when they are in the best side that it is an issue, you do need a few fringe players, i would keep Sam over Prismall or Reimers, as you generally need them to play a few games here and there. The problem we have had is we have not swept enough of them away in the past when we where rebuilding. There where a number of blokes who should have been traded when they had some value but we are now past that.
That is why you keep Lonergan, he is no longer in the best 22 but able to cover even if it is at. It only becomes a problem if you are keeping 5 or 6 of them and they end up being long term in your 22.

As far as Richards and Houli showing ambition to leave, rubbish, they left for better deals, nothing more nothing less. Essendon offered them both contracts and wanted to keep them but both left for longer deals on better money. That is not ambition it is making a financial and career decision which is fine.

Am I the only one who wants to keep Prismall? He hasn't met our expectations, but he's a proven ball-winner and is likely to be better than anything we draft late or as a rookie.

Age counts against him, but throw him a one year deal. Reimers should be delisted, as he's never showed consistency.

I agree with your Prismall thoughts.
Disagree with your Reimers thoughts.

Both Prismall and Reimers should be given a 1 year contract, Prismall was fantastic before he injured himself.
Reimers has an attitude problem, but if he's told that he has a year to get it right, it might change.

I agree with your Prismall thoughts.
Disagree with your Reimers thoughts.

Both Prismall and Reimers should be given a 1 year contract, Prismall was fantastic before he injured himself.
Reimers has an attitude problem, but if he's told that he has a year to get it right, it might change.
How many years has reimers had to get his attitude right though I think his time has come

How many years has reimers had to get his attitude right though I think his time has come

So, with all these delisting of reasonable fringe players, who are we topping them up with? late pick kids that won't play? Reimers would fetch a trade, people know he's dangerous. Port or Melbourne would have a dig at him if we said he was up for trade.

So, with all these delisting of reasonable fringe players, who are we topping them up with? late pick kids that won't play? Reimers would fetch a trade, people know he's dangerous. Port or Melbourne would have a dig at him if we said he was up for trade.
No I'd trade him if we could but with some good younger guys coming through hopefully they can become the depth. I can see what your saying though but IMO id like to draft in 4-5 players. So who goes? Slattery and mcveigh are gone, you could call goddard a straight swap for monfries so that's 2-3 more players.looking at the list reimers and prismall our the ones that stand out and this is where it gets tricky do we get rid of a lonergan or dyson. I'd prefer to keep them both as I think we are short on in and under mids and dyson can almost play anywhere but if it came down to it I'd get rid of lonergan as I think others should get more midfield time than him.

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Draft - Selections: 10 (Daniher), 34, 51, 53, 73, 88, 101, 106 (Baguley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back