2012 Foxtel Cup Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

the eagles should of accepted the invite then sent over a under 16's and 18's team to get people to notice them so hopefully more would get drafted and we would get more money ;)

i'm not greedy one cup a year is enough for me ;)

SANFL clubs have made a decision based on what they've thought are in the best interests of their club. It's clear they see the Foxtel Cup as nothing more than a Mickey Mouse competition that has no positive impact on their club.

Funny how its only the SANFL clubs who think this, while every other reputable league sent their best.

Face it mate, there's only one word for it: chickenshit.

And don't come on and say "but we don't care because its a micky mouse comp" because throughout the decades we have heard nothing from the crow-eaters but how fantastic their league and how its the best in Australia.

But what happens when you're given the opportunity to prove it? Oh no... we'll umm... wait for a ahh... better comp... cause we're too powerful and awesome :eek:

Bzzzzt! Wrong.

Funny how its only the SANFL clubs who think this, while every other reputable league sent their best.

Funny it's only the SANFL sides that aren't rolling over, have read into the finer details of the Foxtel Cup and realised that it's not in their clubs best interest to enter the comp.

Funny it's only the SANFL sides that aren't rolling over, have read into the finer details* of the Foxtel Cup and realised that it's not in their clubs best interest to enter the comp.

*Holy shit! Clubs from other leagues are gonna be involved. We can't send our club over... what if they lose? Then we might have to accept what the rest of Australia has been saying all along: maybe the SANFL isn't the best league in the land :eek:

You might've had a case if maybe a couple of WAFL clubs sided with that opinion, but they didn't. Top SANFL clubs = Big fish. Little pond. And thats just the way they like it. So don'tm come here into this thread and say "Centrals would've smashed so and so" or "WWT would've creamed everyone".

They had their chance, and they bitched out when they saw they coming up against the best of the best. Threw up the white flag and forfeited.

The whole "prize money isn't good enough" line is a cop out. This comp gives one club ultimate bragging rights, and thats exactly what the SANFL have been doing for years. Bragging. Bragging that they are best out of everyone. But you just have to take their word for it. Cause when push comes to shove they go down faster than a two dollar hooker.

The whole "prize money isn't good enough" line is a cop out. This comp gives one club ultimate bragging rights, and thats exactly what the SANFL have been doing for years. Bragging. Bragging that they are best out of everyone. But you just have to take their word for it. Cause when push comes to shove they go down faster than a two dollar hooker.
You're exaggerating the "bragging" terribly. The prize money is part of it, but it's actually byes that are seen as more significant these days. Times have certainly changed, in the 70s and 80s SANFL clubs didn't hesitate to play mid-week matches in an era without byes. In the 20 years since the bye became part of the competition from 1991, it's actually become part of its culture, used for breaks and the premiership contenders aren't super keen to give it up.

I'd love to see Norwood in the comp, but understand their reasons for declining.

Funny it's only the SANFL sides that aren't rolling over, have read into the finer details of the Foxtel Cup and realised that it's not in their clubs best interest to enter the comp.

Funny? That's freaking hilarious given every other club in every other state league competition realised that it is in their best interests. Added to half the sides in the SANFL that want to play as well.

It's only the top sides in the SANFL that are boycotting it, and the reasons that they claim to have are just as applicable to every other club that isn't. Whilst you might not agree with it, surely you can see how anyone could come to the conclusion that those clubs are simply a bunch of wimps?

You might've had a case if maybe a couple of WAFL clubs sided with that opinion, but they didn't. Top SANFL clubs = Big fish. Little pond. And thats just the way they like it. So don'tm come here into this thread and say "Centrals would've smashed so and so" or "WWT would've creamed everyone".

And where have I said that?

I'd love for Centrals to be in the Foxtel Cup but I understand why they chose not to. Doesn't make them any more or less of a club any more than any side that chose to participate.

You do realise there's a difference between Foxtel Cup and representative matches though.

That's as obvious of the top SANFL teams not joining in when everybody else is, when everybody else is under the same if not worse pressures.
They are not joining in for the common good of football and the second tier comps that struggle for attention. They are being selfish just like teams who withhold players from the common good of representitive football.

Face it mate, there's only one word for it: chickenshit.

Bzzzzt! Wrong.

Born & bred South Aussie, 20 year Queenslander but gotta agree 100%. Not a truer word has been spoken

That's as obvious of the top SANFL teams not joining in when everybody else is, when everybody else is under the same if not worse pressures.
They are not joining in for the common good of football and the second tier comps that struggle for attention. They are being selfish just like teams who withhold players from the common good of representitive football.

Best post on this thread.:thumbsu:

Remember a few years ago when ABC 2 was replaying state leagues late night? Hugely popular with footy fans, & gave state clubs nationwide exposure. God, I wish they would bring it back. Where are you Vlad?

Last season the Foxtel cup was well recieved. I am in the Whitsundays & would join a fair crowd watching it in the pub. Again, good exposure - and gotta help getting sponsors.

As a life long South Adelaide follower, I am tickled pink Centrals & co pulled out - giving my club the chance to be part of it.

When the mighty Panthers play Centrals later in the year, our kids will be able to say to their opponent - "you might havewon today, but I got to play on the MCG" :D priceless.

When the mighty Panthers play Centrals later in the year, our kids will be able to say to their opponent - "you might havewon today, but I got to play on the MCG" :D priceless.

So you're saying playing on the MCG in the first round of the Foxtel Cup is more important than state league premiership points/state league premiership :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're saying playing on the MCG in the first round of the Foxtel Cup is more important than state league premiership points/state league premiership :eek:

It is called the big picture. Do you go all the way to Glen Osmond for your holidays? No need for a passport.:D

The game is more important than your local rivalry, that is what grew the VFL into the AFL. Play your part.

The game is more important than your local rivalry, that is what grew the VFL into the AFL. Play your part.

Agreed. The next step up from "local rivalry" is "state rivalry". Its good for the game :thumbsu:

I still remember when the crows first came into the league and the games at Footy Park. whenever an opposition player got the ball or kicked a goal: silence. No boos. No jeers. Just deathly silence. Could hear a pin drop.

Could feel the utter contempt through the tv screen. Wonder what the punters in that crowd would say today about their spineless top SANFL clubs?

i love that westies are in it, i think that it's a great chance not only for younger players and such to compete, but we get to play against different sides than we usually do. the game against williamstown last year, while we got thumped, was an entertaining spectacle because i got to see players i didnt usually get to see.

plus if we perform well there's the chance of extra sponsorship from interstate and extra money cant hurt the club.

i do enjoy the interstaters shitting on the sanfl though. good for a laugh.

O............k taking step back from sh1tting on the SANFL or calling them pussies for not participating.......
It's basically a damn shame that the top SANFL sides once again aren't competing.
I don't think that anyone can really say that they are actually afraid of losing on the national stage and really as far as I know their standard of footy is as good and arguably better than any of the other top tier state level comps.

Problem is that they can't have it both ways. If your best teams don't participate (for whatever reasons) then you don't really have the right to say anything about the comp. You can't sit back and attack it's legitimacy.
You either join in or relinquish any claim to being anything special on the national stage.

Last year West Adelaide (far from being thumped) only went down by a few goals to the eventual competition winner.
I'd liked to have seen West Adelaide play Claremont actually. It'd be an interesting match.

I doubt Claremont will do anywhere near as well this year unfortunately.

And if WWT had any guts, they'd be in the Foxtel Cup taking on the Mighty Borough to sort out who is Australia's champion state league side. :eek:

LOL , because the Foxtel Cup means so much.

We've got better things to do than run around at 10am playing in some Mickey Mouse competition.

Raise the prize money and we will consider sending the U18's.

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Foxtel Cup Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back