2012 Membership Tally

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is complicated though because the AFL is so dependant on broadcasting revenue. AFL can't say North can go to Tasmania, Dogs can go to Darwin, etc without it having a huge impact on what the AFL will generate if the AFL turn a lot of decent rating games into a lot of poor rating games, it will reduce their broadcasting revenue substantially.

While I agree with the bulk of your post, I'm confused what these " lot of decent rating games" would be.

Isn't one of North supporters main complaints that they already get very little tv time, and in poorly rated slots?

The Western Bulldogs membership tally so far sits at 18,183 which is up from the same time last year according to what our president David Smorgon has said. 35,000 members or more for the Dogs in 2012 would be a great achievement in that it would be our highest membership figure in our clubs history. From wikipedia our highest ever membership figure (34,842) was set in 2010.

And it's also been good for Tasmania - the Greens actually had the upper hand iirc and could of stifled the deal at any given time in the last round of negotiations had they wished to do so - there are some people who are not happy with the deal and that's fine but if the government wasn't happy they wouldn't have re-signed regardless of what political influences you perceive to be involved, in fact the influences really couldn't have been any different from the AFL trying to put its two cents worth in and going behind the hawks back.

The hawks have poured a substantial amount of their own money into the upgrade of the stadium and its continual upkeep, not as though they can rip it down when their done. They also spend a large amount of time in the community as evidenced by the number of kids now wearing hawks guernseys and the continual increase in Tasmanian memberships. You can try to insinuate that it's a one way street but it's not.

Still sounds a little like sour grapes from you imo, maybe because the government refused to come to the party on the hobart proposal. The hawks were proven, the kangaroos weren't - seems quite simple really when considering their previous track record.

Why would I have sour grapes? I was ecstatic we didn't get the Hawthorn gig. I think partial alignment with Tasmania will be a forced relocation eventually.

I also didn't want us moving in on Hawks turf but we only put in a proposal for the Hobart games because we were asked to do so after Richmond was blocked by the AFL and then only put in a proposal for the entire Tasmanian project because it was requested by the Tasmanian government.

I have been quite vocal on our own forum that I thought JB was an idiot for putting forth the proposal as Bartlett was never sincere about looking to replace Hawthorn, he just wanted a bargaining chip to try and extort a better deal from Hawthorn and we were never going to come out looking good from the whole thing.

While I am happy to help out Hobart with their stadium redevelopment, I have no wish to again step foot in a developing region which is next off the bat to get an AFL side. Our good faith decision to give GC a range of games from the one club turned into an ambush and I don't want to see that happening again.

I would much rather put all our effort in Ballarat than split the development between two markets and there is more synergy with the Ballarat region.

That doesn't change the fact Tasmania is getting robbed blind, Hawthorn derives all the match day proceeds and gets an insane sponsorship agreement. As I said, it is a great deal for Hawthorn but you just have to browse the Tasmanian newspapers to see the people of Tasmania are not as happy as the politicians.

As to greens holding power, the only thing they have ever used their power for is to get kickbacks for their cause, they have never done what is the right thing. It is why we are seeing the pokie reform but no action on many other things a swing national vote could accomplish. Politicians are nothing if not predictable.

Pretty happy how we are tracking to date. 15,841 at 22/12, that is about 2k up on this time last year, includes about 1,500 Tassie game members, many of these early birds taking up the reserved seating option.

I think it is the first time we have cracked 15k before Christmas.

Great news that the numbers in Melbourne have increased by 500 despite playing 2 extra games away.:thumbsu:

That doesn't change the fact Tasmania is getting robbed blind, Hawthorn derives all the match day proceeds and gets an insane sponsorship agreement. As I said, it is a great deal for Hawthorn but you just have to browse the Tasmanian newspapers to see the people of Tasmania are not as happy as the politicians.

As to greens holding power, the only thing they have ever used their power for is to get kickbacks for their cause, they have never done what is the right thing. It is why we are seeing the pokie reform but no action on many other things a swing national vote could accomplish. Politicians are nothing if not predictable.

Last i heard, Tassie were making some pretty big money thanks to the tourism that Hawthorn brings in. While Hawthorn may not directly feed money to Tasmania (how many clubs feed money directly back into someone who is sponsoring them, defeats the purpose of the sponsorship), Tassie make a large amount from tourism, not to mention all the added bonuses of Hawthorn running community camps, etc. down there. If Tasmania weren't at minimum, breaking even, they wouldn't renew the deal. Tassie wins, Hawthorn wins. North doesn't get as good a deal, and nor should they. Hawthorn have spent significant time and money down in Tassie, and North probably won't give Tassie as much of a benefit as Hawthorn does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and by round 1 2012 will still have 41,000 members

So the people in Perth are so loaded they can pay their membership before Xmas!? Hawthorn have done a phenomenal job considering where they've come from 15 odd years ago when they were up for merger talks. Excitement s definitely building at Tigerland as well; Andy D must be wetting his pants over the prospect of a strong Richmond team

As of 23/12
Code:
Club                Members
West Coast           41,066
Hawthorn             40,800
Essendon             28,933
Richmond             25,010
Geelong              23,800
Melbourne            20,623
Carlton              20,565
Western Bulldogs     18,229
North Melbourne      16,414
Port Adelaide        15,217
St Kilda             14,390
Sydney               12,200
Brisbane             11,202
Gold Coast            8,138
GWS                   3,202
Adelaide                985*
Collingwood             N/A
Fremantle               N/A
*New Members

Just like to thank everyone at the club for making us one of the top 2 Victorian clubs. We'll be looking at 70,000 in 2013 if we take the 2012 cup. A feelgood success story that everyone can relate to.

How do the Saints figure compare to previous years? Do they have a lot of late sign-ups?

I'm pretty sure they were on 20k+ members this time last year. It's abit concerning at this stage for them.
People will probably join up once 2012 is here, i know a few St Kilda fans and they never buy memberships :eek: cheap skates!

Could the Saints be the next team in the medias cross hairs?

Just like to thank everyone at the club for making us one of the top 2 Victorian clubs. We'll be looking at 70,000 in 2013 if we take the 2012 cup. A feelgood success story that everyone can relate to.

How bout getting your membership revenue up first instead of playing the numbers game.

So the people in Perth are so loaded they can pay their membership before Xmas!? Hawthorn have done a phenomenal job considering where they've come from 15 odd years ago when they were up for merger talks. Excitement s definitely building at Tigerland as well; Andy D must be wetting his pants over the prospect of a strong Richmond team

Discretionary income/no pokies & a waiting list.

Really? You know a bunch of North supporters that don't buy memberships?

Out of everyone I know, North supporters are the least likely to buy memberships, by a LONG way. I had to get a membership and start dragging a bunch of them to get them buying memberships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back