2012 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Spurr unavailable for selection since he wasn't upgraded before the deadline?

He can't play as a 'nominated' rookie, that was what the deadline was for. I'm not sure about Fremantle's current injuries, but he will have to wait until somebody gets onto the long term injury list before he could even be considered for an upgrade (or I think after round 11 onwards)

Is Spurr unavailable for selection since he wasn't upgraded before the deadline?

The deadline is today, so we'll see. I'm sweating on that too. If Spurr is ugraded, he'll be in mine.

My rookies are.

B: Ellis, Bugg, Darley & Spurr or Morris
M: Magner, Sheil, Kennedy (Caddy - expensive rookie)
R: Reeden, Stephenson, Giles
F: D Smith, Pfieffer, Hall, Dickson

The deadline is today, so we'll see. I'm sweating on that too. If Spurr is ugraded, he'll be in mine.

From what I've read, the deadline passed at 2pm yesterday? http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/131078/default.aspx

Overall, 6 nominated upgrades- Callinan from the Crows, Curnow and Touhy from Carlton, Magner from the Dees, Mullett from North and Pfeiffer from Port. I'm not sure if any others will (or can) be upgraded due to players on long-term injury lists.

Not a huge amount of value there, Magner probably the best option. Callinan, Curnow and Touhy already have their prices raised from last year, and Pfeiffer unlikely to play a lot. No idea about Mullett.

From what I've read, the deadline passed at 2pm yesterday? http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/131078/default.aspx

Overall, 5 nominated upgrades- Callinan from the Crows, Curnow and Touhy from Carlton, Magner from the Dees and Mullett from North. I'm not sure if any others will (or can) be upgraded due to players on long-term injury lists.

Yeah not sure - I thought I heard the deadline was today. And I'm expecting Richmond to elevate Maric and Miller for round 1 and haven't heard about that either as yet.

2 questions

Thoughts on N.Blee

Who is Darley?

Haven't seen much of Blee, don't think he's in the mix for a round 1 spot. On the other hand Darley looks a certain round 1 starter in the back pocket for GWS - looks a handy type.

Reckon Blee will spend a few rounds warming up in the SANFL, and can't see him scoring much when he does make the side.
Thoughts on Yagmoor v Clarke? Hearing a lot of mixed reports on who is favoured out of the two

Reckon Blee will spend a few rounds warming up in the SANFL, and can't see him scoring much when he does make the side.
Thoughts on Yagmoor v Clarke? Hearing a lot of mixed reports on who is favoured out of the two

I would think Clarke is more likely to play - but at $170K not sure if he's worth it? Reckon there's cheaper rookies who'll average the same.

I'm seriously considering starting with Shiel and Magner on the bench in my round 1 side. I'm confident that if they don't play round 1 they should be in the side by round 2 or 3.

Does anybody think that's worth the risk?

I'm seriously considering starting with Shiel and Magner on the bench in my round 1 side. I'm confident that if they don't play round 1 they should be in the side by round 2 or 3.

Magner shouldn't be on the bench. He should be on the field. ARE YOU MAD?! He is the great white hope for keeper rookies 2012.

Definitely. Magner will play round 1, especially with Slyvia out - so I'll be starting him on the ground. And Sheil may not play round 1, but you'll be burning a trade to get him in when he does play IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magner shouldn't be on the bench. He should be on the field. ARE YOU MAD?! He is the great white hope for keeper rookies 2012.

If he plays I will definitely have him on the ground but if he is an extra week away I will carry him on the bench.

Definitely. Magner will play round 1, especially with Slyvia out - so I'll be starting him on the ground. And Sheil may not play round 1, but you'll be burning a trade to get him in when he does play IMO.

Definitely. Shiel also has an extra week to be ready for round 2. So he could be in the team pretty soon, I'm pretty close to having him in my team.

He played well last week, is mature aged, I reckons he's a chance. Might have to wait until teams.

Weren't the rookie promotions happening today? This is all i can find -

ADELAIDE'S 29-year-old rookie Ian Callinan and Carlton midfielder Ed Curnow head the list of nominated rookies who will play with their senior teams in 2012.

Callinan, a nuggety small forward, was promoted by the Crows on Monday, and Curnow, who played 12 games with the Blues in 2011, has again been elevated from Carlton's rookie list.

Port Adelaide utility Darren Pfeiffer, who has spent time at Adelaide and Carlton, has also been named.

The Power offered Pfeiffer another chance at AFL level during the 2012 AFL Rookie Draft in December, recruiting him with pick No. 3.

Carlton promoted Curnow and defender Zach Tuohy ahead of Tuesday's 2pm deadline, and Melbourne promoted midfielder James Magner.

Under the nominated rookie rule, a club is eligible to nominate a rookie player who can play during the premiership season and finals series if a club has 38 players on its list (not including veteran players) and it satisfies the total player payments requirements.

The AFL has also approved North Melbourne's request to upgrade Aaron Mullett as a nominated rookie.

Mullett is a speedy half-back who played three senior games in his first AFL season in 2011 as North's nominated rookie.

http://www.afl.com.au/newsviews/dev...isplay/tabid/13144/newsid/131078/default.aspx

Jetta out should help Couch's cause.

MELBOURNE defender Neville Jetta will miss 12 to 16 weeks after having surgery on an injured ankle.

Jetta was injured in a VFL practice match between Casey Scorpions and Box Hill on Saturday March 10.

Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney confirmed the luckless Jetta - who played just nine games in 2011 after suffering a broken hand in round 12 and then having a post-season shoulder reconstruction - has been placed on the club's long-term injury list.

He is the third player on Melbourne's long-term injury list, joining ruckmen Max Gawn (knee) who is out for the season, and Jake Spencer, who is returning from a knee reconstruction he had at the start of 2011.

This means Melbourne has the opportunity to elevate three more rookies if it chooses to, in addition to James Magner, who was elevated as the club's nominated rookie ahead of the League's Tuesday deadline.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/131194/default.aspx

Will Tory Dickson get games from round 1?

He should be in the mix for Round 1 and beyond. He's a mature aged recruit and was a surprise draft selection. The coaching panel obviously something in him that will help the team so I would expect him to play regularly.

Does anyone here rate Couch much of a chance to play?
From what I think (which is not a great deal) Melbourne will be needing a bit of grunt? Will injuries make much of an openning for him?

cheers

Last time. Has was not elevated, may be a downgrade target post round 11.

He is nowhere near as good as Magner, although I know a lot of people like his DPP (which makes no sense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back