2012 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone still selecting Tom Mitchell or are the knee tendonitis reports enough to choose someone else?

Is anyone still selecting Tom Mitchell or are the knee tendonitis reports enough to choose someone else?

I'll prob wait and see what happens over the NAB cups, if he doesnt play or looks under done ill scrap him. Plenty of other midfield rookies to choose from.

Is McDonald of GWS this years Harris? Can't say I've paid much attention to GWS

Im making that assumption, which is why im stearing clear. Harris was serviceable but was incosistent with both games played and scoring. I feel McDonald will get a couple of good scores, but will probably be out done by alot of the rookies.

Im making that assumption, which is why im stearing clear. Harris was serviceable but was incosistent with both games played and scoring. I feel McDonald will get a couple of good scores, but will probably be out done by alot of the rookies.

I'll keep that in mind. Although Harris did make some nice cash IIRC

There are three differences between Harris/ McDonald.

In McDonald's favour, he is a much better player than Harris and GWS has nowhere near the quality of GCS midfield. McDonald will be an important part of their structure I THINK.

On the downside he is 35? and has had a year out of the system. The year 'off' could be a blessing, or it could mean he doesn't have a lot to offer.

I expect McDonald to play 10-15 games, similar to Harris. Like Harris, I expect them mostly to be in the first half of the season. I will be looking to trade him out after round 10 anyway, so it won't matter to me...

Dan from FootyTragics writes this article on hot prospect, Sam Gibson.

Was one of the better plays for North in their second game last night IMO - very impressive. Mature ager - jump on board!!

"Sam Gibson
Club: North Melbourne
Position: MID
Price: $85,800 DT, $94,700 SC
Number: 43

I really wanted to get this article out of the way before we all get to see Gibson in action for North Melbourne this weekend in the first week of the NAB Cup. Gibson spent 2007 and 2008 on Hawthorn’s rookie list, but never got promoted and was delisted without playing a game.

He stuck with their affiliate the Box Hill Hawks, which is where he was originally rookie listed from and after years of hard work he was made his way back into the AFL system. Last year he captained Box Hill and won their best & fairest fairly comfortably.

Gibson is a midfielder who is equally adept inside and outside, with excellent endurance. He’s good in traffic and loves to get the ball onto his boot. I’m not a huge fan of his kicking. It’s not too bad, but I don’t rate it as a strength, however I love that it doesn’t stop him from trying – he averaged 17.1 kicks per game last year!

He’s an excellent leader and has a strong body, so he is definitely ready for AFL. With Daniel Wells perhaps being a little behind in his pre-season (has done all the fitness work, but no contact yet) and Jack Ziebell suspended for the first two rounds there’s an opening in the midfield to start the season. If Gibson gets that chance I can see him being too hard to dislodge.

Gibson is a very intuitive player and along with his ability to run all day, one of his greatest strengths is that he has a knack for finding the ball. He’s one of those guys that gets to the right spots around a contest and led Box Hill for handball receives last year. His massive tank allows him to find space, which is how he ended up top three in the VFL for marks in 2011, averaging just over seven per game.

He averaged 28.2 touches per game last year and oh yeah, a cool 114 DT points in 19 games. After being one of the better performers in their intra club match in Ballarat last week and having always been a ripper on the training track Gibson is really turning heads down at Arden St. He’s definitely one to keep an eye on and if he gets promoted off the rookie list he’s got as high a ceiling as any first year player this year.

Overall, as a player he’s just a good honest goer who has a knack for being in the right spots to get the ball. I’m impressed with how hard he has worked to get back into the AFL and he will leave no stone unturned to see if he can really make a fist of it. I haven’t been able to confirm this, but my understanding is that Brent Harvey is the only North player on their veterans list, which would give them room to upgrade one rookie before the start of the season.

2011: Box Hill (VFL) 114.0 DT in 19 games."

I expect McDonald to play 10-15 games, similar to Harris. Like Harris, I expect them mostly to be in the first half of the season. I will be looking to trade him out after round 10 anyway, so it won't matter to me...

This is my strategy 100% with McDonald. I expect him to be the lynch pin while they ease the youngsters in. Will make a quick 200k on him then upgrade another mid to a premium with the cash. Liking the looks of Skinner from the doggies so far. $113,200.

This will be big blow for most people on here!! Was posted on Twitter during the game last night..

“@FantasyFreako: Just saw Dylan Shiel in a moon boot out on the ground. #afldreamteam #supercoach #rookieblow”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be big blow for most people on here!! Was posted on Twitter during the game last night..

“@FantasyFreako: Just saw Dylan Shiel in a moon boot out on the ground. #afldreamteam #supercoach #rookieblow”

was wandering why he didnt play. luckily plenty of other midfield guys to step in

Some of the rookies i got in are: M Buntine, B. Ellis, Kavanagh, S. Gibson, Giles, Stephenson, Cooyou, Treloar and Treloar,

Any ways to improve?

Cheers :thumbsu:

Some of the rookies i got in are: M Buntine, B. Ellis, Kavanagh, S. Gibson, Giles, Stephenson, Cooyou, Treloar and Treloar,

Any ways to improve?

Cheers :thumbsu:

Probably only need to put Treloar in once for starters, :p

Not sure about Buntine, he has kinda drifted into obscurity, some good wraps on him early on, but havent heard much about him recently, and he didnt play in the NAB cup. You might be better served looking elsewhere, should also save some cash given Buntines 176K price tag.

Was impressed with Cooyou in the NAB cup, havent seen his name much so could be a unique pick for you.

Keep an eye on Gibson, should do well, but is still rookie listed. I expect the Roo's to upgrade him though, from what i've read Harvey is the only player on the veterens list so they could have a free spot before the season proper starts.

GWS starting rookies. Lessons from Gold Coast.

The Gold Coast had 15 players play at least 7 of their first 10 games. 9 of whom were rookie priced

NBA147.jpg

Column 3 is their starting breakeven, avg is seasons average (column 4). <0 is games played in their first 10 (15),avg (16) is average of their first 10 and % (17) is column 16 / column 3.

The major lesson here seems to be of the rookie priced players, 4 were mature (Iles. Hunt, Harris, Stanley), and Smith who was a 21 y.o zone selection. 2 were 17 y.o selections from the year prior (McKenzie, Matera) and only 2 were drafted (Tape, Swallow).

The major lesson here seems to be of the rookie priced players, 4 were mature (Iles. Hunt, Harris, Stanley), and Smith who was a 21 y.o zone selection. 2 were 17 y.o selections from the year prior (McKenzie, Matera) and only 2 were drafted (Tape, Swallow).
I'm not really following what the lesson is :confused:

On Tom Mitchell we might not see him until the middle of the season, I'll most likely be waiting to get him then. The one from Sydney to watch out for is Jordan Lockyer.

Finding it tricky to pick 5 mid rookies now, since most of the ones I had flagged will now be upgrade targets (Shiel, Mitchell, Docherty).

Currently have Treloar, McDonald, Gibson, Magner and Baguley.

Can't see Lee getting an elevation ahead of Baguley or Dell'Olio after last night. But still 2 more pre-season games, so he could do better when the Dons have guys like Stanton, Watson and Hocking in to support.

What's your thoughts on Kavanagh? Will he get games early?

What's your thoughts on Kavanagh? Will he get games early?

Depends how fit the starting players are, would not surprise me either way, although I see him as a sub early on unfortunately.

Depends how fit the starting players are, would not surprise me either way, although I see him as a sub early on unfortunately.

Thats not really what I was hoping to hear. He looked pretty good in the NAB cup, so hopefully he slots in early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back