VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is Lever? Has his calf come up again? Is he not fit in another way?

Been dropped from the Development Squad it looks like. Obviously didnt perform last week to warrant selection. Loving this new alignment where players are picked on form, no matter which club your from!

Markworth & Lever both rested, not dropped.

Good to see Sipposs named..

Markworth & Lever both rested, not dropped.

Don't be surprised at this, it will happen occasionaly to give the yound bodies a rest. Clubs are also known to have players do extra gym sessions to bulk up a bit faster.:thumbsu:

And from what I can tell, these two guys are some of the smallest on the list.

JACKSON Coleman says he is not regretting the decision to turn his back on a cricket contract despite missing out on his AFL dream last season.
The son of Glenn Coleman, who played 194 matches for Fitzroy and Footscray, was seen as one of the state's brightest young cricketing talents after representing Australia at the under-19 World Cup in New Zealand in 2010, alongside mate Alex Keath, and being signed by the Victorian Bushrangers.
Keath, who he confided in before making a decision, gave up a contract at Gold Coast to forge a promising career through Cricket Victoria.
Advertisement: Story continues below
"It was very tough because I was going to a sport that I didn't have a lot of experience in and put myself back in a level playing field,'' said Coleman. ''It was hard to give cricket away … [but] I would've regretted it if I didn't give myself the best chance to play footy."

Guys, how far away would you say Dunell is from playing seniors?

Bear in mind it is also depends on somebody having to be moved to the Long Term Injured list.

I love what I'm hearing about him. Realistically though, from guys who have seen him, would he of played this year if it was made possible or next season perhaps? Is his body really that light?

Looked OK to me.

If we have a LTI I reckon it's Curren if a mid injured, Dunell for a med forward, Archer if Kosi or Riewoldt or one of the rucks.

McPhee said he had a couple of things to work on, but for mine so does Clint Jones (and he's been playing for years!).

They have him listed as 190cm and 81kg, and he doesn't appear a whole lot heavier than that. But as I've said before, he doesn't seem to get pushed around when he's going for his marks and his defensive pressure seems OK.

I guess the issues I've seen is his sense of when to contest for marks, how to best position himself if he doesn't go up (has seemed flat footed), and maybe stick the tackles a little better (not that he's too bad, but I'd be a little worried that the AFL guys might be able to break them).

Some might say that he could focus on leading (he's a good mark on a hard lead even with a bit of pressure from behind) and kicking for goal, but with our forward entries in Round 1 he wouldn't get a whole lot of ball lace out.

Think you need to be 8 weeks off playing (to go onto the LTI list), so he might have to wait.

Hopefully Siposs plays well on Sunday (they are very similar types).

I love what I'm hearing about him. Realistically though, from guys who have seen him, would he of played this year if it was made possible or next season perhaps? Is his body really that light?

I'm just enjoying the time he has with us at Sandy and we'll enjoy it while we can. Very strong mark....as good a kick as you're likely to see...

If he doesn't get upgraded this year then hopefully he will next year...

In the meantime...hope he kicks a bag on Sunday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Development Squad

Sandringham 11.8.74 defeated by @coburgfc 19.12:126
Goals: Smith Cameron, Brown, Coleman 2, Sands, Mavric, Michaliades, Stapleton, Widdowson 1
Possessions: Stapleton 27, Webster 23

Wilkes & Saad lining up at Sandringham, means Winmar & Ray only emergencies at Etihad..

First goal to Wilkes after a mark on the line.

No issues with Sippa - looks a class above.

Nice mark by Faz (the usual drifting in front of a pack).

Dunell misses from a tight angle. He's been involved but not with effective possessions.

Wind is blowing across the ground at this stage.

One goal apiece now.

Archer started in the forward line but has been moved into defence.

Andreoli doing a good job in the back pocket.

Massive .. Massive pack mark by Wilkes 10m out. He goals from the angle.

Great play by Cat to choose a good option and bang it 50m on his left side to the hot spot. Saad roves and Peake swoops to pop it over the line for a goal.

Indirect fiddling in the backline (seems a deliberate tactic) costs the Zebs a goal.

Spoiling error by Jacko costs another goal and Cat misses a gettable shot from 40m on the run (didn't steady - never looked like it).

21 to 23 at qtr time. Siposs would have had 10 possessions, and a number of 65m bombs into F50.

Yes, Faz is playing - had a few possessions along with Cat. Seb a little quiet. Cook has racked them up so far.

Archer has been everywhere but the kicking to him (when forward) has been pretty lousy.

Hey Squizzy is Ray playing is he?

1/4 time:
Sandringham 3.3.21
Coburg 3.5.23

Goals: Wilkes 2, Peake 1

First goal to Wilkes after a mark on the line.

No issues with Sippa - looks a class above.

Nice mark by Faz (the usual drifting in front of a pack).

Dunell misses from a tight angle. He's been involved but not with effective possessions.

Wind is blowing across the ground at this stage.

One goal apiece now.

Archer started in the forward line but has been moved into defence.

Andreoli doing a good job in the back pocket.

Massive .. Massive pack mark by Wilkes 10m out. He goals from the angle.

Great play by Cat to choose a good option and bang it 50m on his left side to the hot spot. Saad roves and Peake swoops to pop it over the line for a goal.

Indirect fiddling in the backline (seems a deliberate tactic) costs the Zebs a goal.

Spoiling error by Jacko costs another goal and Cat misses a gettable shot from 40m on the run (didn't steady - never looked like it).

21 to 23 at qtr time. Siposs would have had 10 possessions, and a number of 65m bombs into F50.
He did a lot of bombing in the NAB Cup as well. I hope it doesn't become a habit.

Good to see he's started well though.

Cook a one-handed grab 30m out and slots it.

Archer does well in a marking contest and breaks free, but doesn't hit Wilkes up with a pass and the eventual turnover costs a goal.

Not sure what Dowler was thinking, but a soft spoiling attempt on a small player ends in him being outmarked. Lucky the shot on goal misses.

Nice play from Ross to pressure. Mini gets a shot from 50m but misses everything.

Shenton is really struggling. Fumbled quite a few ground balls.

Siposs does brilliantly but overcooks it badly and is holding the ball. There are a few turnovers but it ends with a Coburg goal. 27 to 37.

Almost a big hanger to Cat who has had some touches this quarter.

A couple of shots out on the full by the Zebs. Siposs cuts a pass off and he misses from 45m!

Wonderful leap from Sippa against 2 opponents. Results in a goal to Saad who hassles the ball off his man in the goalsquare.

Team pressure ends up with holding the ball to Peake who kicks it out on the full from 45m.

Finally some class in front of the sticks, with a 50m goal on the run by Cockie.

Wilkes gives away a sloppy free when he could have cruched his opponent and marked (rather than a hanger). Turnover (including a fairly soft effort by Peake and Jacko going to ground a bit easily when chasing a ball)) ends in a goal to Coburg. 40 to 44 at half time.

With Shepheard taking the resting ruckman, Darch has been the main ruck backup. He's getting jumped all over by the much taller Graham and Browne. Strange move by the coaches.

Goals: Wilkes 2, Saad, Cook, Cockie, Peake 1
Possessions: Curren with 16 touches, Cook 12, Ray 11, Siposs 10

Some good movement from Mini to Darch and a 65m kick to Wilkes. Took a mark which was somehow not paid, but he battled on and scrambled it to Shenton 5m out for a goal.

Free against Dowler costs a goal after Saad fumbled a ball on the wing.

Shocking error by Cat to pass 20m across ground to the only player (Coburg).

The kicking generally has been foul for some reason. Siposs misses from 30m on an angle.

Cockie again with a quality kick to Wilkes' advantage. He marks and goals.

A couple of good grabs by Wilkes (on the wing then saving the day at full back).

Nice harassing from Saad. Wins the free and splits the middle from 35m on a decent angle.

Coburg get two in a row and its 59 to 65.

Saad has been reported for a high hit after the Coburg player kicked it and they goal from the down field free.

Shocking decision and Ray is holding the ball 20m directly in front and a goal.

60 to 78 at 3/4 time. Very disappointing.

Stats indicate we are getting thrashed in contested possessions, with the two Coburg ruckmen getting it to numbers at just about every contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back