VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You been listening to Watters?

Flexibility ... flexibility ... flexibility.

Kosi and Rhys can go through the ruck. Riewoldt can play as a deep or high forward.

Siposs is being exposed to the midfield.

He's spoken about Gilbert pushing further out (if Simpkin can stand up).

Polo has got an opportunity becuase of his ability to play different roles.

Wilkes will need an extra string to his bow (otherwise he'll have to wait until Kosi gets injured - or McEvoy in which case Kosi would do alot more rucking - which hopefully won't happen).
The thought of Gilbert going to the midfield makes me ill. The less he kicks the better.

I do see what you're saying about flexibility and it's a very valid point but I don't necessarily think the other string has to be the ability to go back. Either half forward or deep forward should be enough, but either way I also said in another thread he's probably going to have to wait til Roo retires or for one of the big guys to get injured to get a game which is unfortunate.

Below is Chris Pelchan speaking on SEN’s HarfTime today about the importance of VFL and in particular Sandringham Football Club to the AFL and StKilda. Its all direct words from the interview, I didn’t add anything in, its all his words. Listen to entire interview here

“Sandringham is one the longest and proudest clubs in VFL, and obviously had lot success over past decade. There have been some challenges over past 12 to 24 months with the relationship with St Kilda and Sandringham.

“A lot of work has been done and I suppose it’s indicative of the importance of VFL competition, which I think it’s widely regarded as best competition outside the AFL.”

“When we look at players like Ahmed Saad here at St Kilda coming through from that competition, we understand how important those alignments are to AFL clubs.”

“The Academy {St Kilda Player Academy} model we have established plays hand in hand with the Sandringham Football Club. Whether it’s their Development League {old reserves competition} or seniors, both are playing important role for us.”

“What we have got is Simon McPhee, who is actually a full time St Kilda development coach is senior coach at Sandringham. Our other three Academy coaches from the academy director through to Paul Hudson & Jamie Graham, they both have coaching roles at Sandringham on match day.

“We basically have four full time staff members at Sandringham on every match day which is very big uplift not just for this club but its unprecedented VFL competition.”

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...ID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18900731

In a game that went goal for goal for 2 and a half quarters, the Zebra’s were down by as much as 36 points with 10 minutes to go in the last, to lose by only 5 points.

In what was a big second quarter by both teams, Coburg dominated in the ruck with Angus Graham and Andrew Browne. They had the majority of the hitouts, which meant Sandringham struggled to win the contested ball.

“Contested ball mainly, we (were) just beaten for the contested ball,” said Sandringham coach Simon McPhee.

Sandringham seemed to fumble, make mistakes that they usually wouldn’t and Coburg punished them on the scoreboard.

Sandringham did seem to have poor kicking efficiency, though they can still gain some positives out of the loss.

“I thought (Hamish) Shepheard and (Daniel) Archer battled manfully.”

“Beau Dowler battled manfully, I thought Jackson Ferguson was ok. Beau Wilkes fought the game out, battled hard early and got a few goals late.”

Beau Wilkes kicked 5 goals, in a strong performance. Ahmed Saad and Adam Cockie had two goals, being the other multiple goal kickers on the day. Tom Curren had the most disposals for the Zebra’s, with 27, in what was another strong performance.

Watters has ruled a line through it, quite emphatically stating Kosi is a key forward to can go through the ruck for short bursts.

And he's not mobile enough laterally or good enough below his knees to be seriously considered as a defensive option.

Maybe people see him in defence taking marks, but that's when he's in the ruck and has worked off the opposition ruckman.

Simpkin, Blake, Fisher and Gilbert should be able to work together to keep a tall forward under control most of the time - even if one of them cuts loose occasionally.

I'm disappointed Wilkes hasn't worked out as a defender at this stage, but we have Ferguson (hopefully next year to replace Blake) and Lever (OK ... maybe a few years away) coming through.

You been listening to Watters?

Flexibility ... flexibility ... flexibility.

Kosi and Rhys can go through the ruck. Riewoldt can play as a deep or high forward.

Siposs is being exposed to the midfield.

He's spoken about Gilbert pushing further out (if Simpkin can stand up).

Polo has got an opportunity becuase of his ability to play different roles.

Wilkes will need an extra string to his bow (otherwise he'll have to wait until Kosi gets injured - or McEvoy in which case Kosi would do alot more rucking - which hopefully won't happen).

+1 and +1

Zebras tapping into raw talent

John Bennett chuckles at the memory of Michael Sikora playing under him at Southern league club Heatherton in 2010.

"Just a big, raw lump of a kid who didn't know too much about the game, really,'' Bennett, the former St Kilda and Sandringham spearhead, said last week.

"He didn't do a hell of a lot around the ground but I'll tell you one thing: he never lost a tap-out.''

That is no surprise: Sikora is 204cm.

His season at Heatherton was his first in football: as a teenager he'd played basketball, with sufficient skill to represent the Melbourne Tigers' Under 18 team.

Bennett saw his potential and encouraged him to get himself fit and try his luck at Sandringham.

"I remember saying to him, you've got one thing most other blokes haven't – you're bloody big!'' he said.

Eighteen months on, the 21-year-old is among the VFL's most promising players, as evidenced by his selection in the AFL Victorian VFL Academy.

READ MORE - http://www.insidefootballonline.com/state.html

Thank you to all posters.

Like all on here, I am a long long term Saints tragic. New to Big Footy this year and I am addicted.

From pre and post game comments and analysis and further news, e.g. Sandringham, Rookie updates etc I love it all.

I read it all and appreciate the time, effort, comments and thought that goes into it.

Without doubt some of the comments, summaries, analysis is far far better than I can read through mainstream media and I don't have to wade through puff piece after puff piece after Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon. And it is always days ahead of what I can read through mainstream anyway (do they copy their scoops from Big Footy???)

Understand that frequent posters can be criticised from time to time, because they do voice opinions, but rest assured your thoughts, comments and efforts are appreciated by the vast majority.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Gram, Daniel Archer & Nicolas Winmar have all been named in @sandyzebs Development Squad this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandringham FC tweet:

Good win by Dev Squad on a hot day at Werribee - Sandy 16.16.112 to Werribee 11.9.75... Archer with 5 goals, Gram 24 touches

Great news re Grammy. Although Newnes has acquitted himself very well, last night I reckon he kicked it sideways/backwards possibly every time he got it, whereas Gram is renowned for his 70-80m plays that gain us a lot of ground. Newnes also got beaten by Dahlhaus, in his 14th game, one on one last night, so I think Gram comes in for him pretty soon.

Very happy to hear Grammy done well. Still obviously a few away though (Sandy 2s nothing like AFL I assume), but good signs. Even though Grammy's disposal is questionable at times, he is an asset coming out.

Young players tend to do that. The more he plays the more confidence he'll get to use the ball like he did in the first play of the game which should've resulted on a Goddard goal but he shanked the kick. We need to stick with a youth policy so to speak so I'd rather see Gram come in for someone like Polo who isn't a great kick.

In any case it's good to see Gram got through the game. He'd be in sooner rather than later you'd think.

... I'd rather see Gram come in for someone like Polo who isn't a great kick.

I have high regard for Grammy's booming kick and his speed and step in his run and carry, I even have quite a high regard for Grammy's role as a small defender, but take away Gram's fairly accurate kicks at a stationary target and Gram often is an ordinary kick (especially to a player in motion). I would back Polo to hit a player over Gram even more so if both were under pressure.

Hard to argue with any of that. Gram was supposedly feeling the best he has physically for years, before he injured his hammy a few weeks ago, though. So it will be interesting to see how he goes if he gets a good run with injuries for the rest of the season. His kicking can be very ordinary though. Helicopter central at times.

I agree that his kicking can be woeful but that's usually only when he's trying to bomb it 80m. When he tries to hit a target I think he's actually pretty good but people tend to remember the frustrating bombs. it's not like he's Jack Steven who shanks a 30m target.

Either way it's been done to death and obviously he offers much more overall as a player than a Polo and the like. No more of these Ross Lyon types please, we need as much talent as possible on the field.

Cripps is lucky to be still getting games - Polo has been contributing far more.

Cripps' talent has been recognised. Don't think we need to pile too many in (that have talent but don't play an important role or impact games consistently).

Polo will hopefully slide from the team in time - but only because other players (Ledger, Gram, Siposs, Gwilt, Schneider, Ross, Wilkes and Winmar etc) have forced him out.

Until then, Watters is doing the right thing by playing him. He's got good mobility, height/marking, ability to play multiple roles, fitness and resilience to injury (a problem for a number of the other guys) - and is more than serviceable on his left side (even if he does bite off too much at times which ends in a blooper).

Round 5 - Sandringham V Williamstown
Trevor Barker Beach Oval
Sunday April 22

Development Squad: 11am
Seniors: 2pm

Admission free for Sandringham & St Kilda Members
Adults $10
Concession $5
Williamstown Members $5

Media Coverage
The game is to be broadcast live online. Join Peter Marcato, Nigel Carmody, Mark Erwin and Mark Stone from 1.30pm. You can tune in at www.vfl.com.au (Aussie Digital – SEN2) or via Brett Phillips Media at www.bpmmedia.com.au

Last time they met - Round 6, 2011 @ Avalon Airport Oval
Sandringham 2.0 8.5 9.7 16.8 (104)
Williamstown 6.3 11.5 17.9 21.13 (139)

Zebras History V Williamstown
Played: 132
Won: 61
Lost: 69
Draw: 6

Leader Newspaper/Veolia Sandringham Player of the Year

Senior Leaderboard (After Round 4):
5 – T.Curren
4 – M.Cook