VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An amazing game of footy took place today. Zebs up by 40 odd at qtr time, Werribee it back to couple at half time, Zebs kicked out to 45 point 3 qtr time lead and Werribee win by 2 points.

Adam Cockie is a gun, 30 touches.

Tom Curren was best of Saints with 24 and couple goals

Minchinton kicked 4, well Club is saying 2 but we swear it's 4.

Dunnell is a beautiful kick, kicked 2 goals aswell. Think Siposs kicking and thats nearly him!

Hampshire Shephard is nice recruit for Zebs. Did nice things.

Chris Irving was one Zebs listed players.

Seb Ross was awesome til injury, Raph was good til his day ended. Lever & Webster both injured aswell.

An amazing game of footy took place today. Zebs up by 40 odd at qtr time, Werribee it back to couple at half time, Zebs kicked out to 45 point 3 qtr time lead and Werribee win by 2 points.

Adam Cockie is a gun, 30 touches.

Tom Curren was best of Saints with 24 and couple goals

Minchinton kicked 4, well Club is saying 2 but we swear it's 4.

Dunnell is a beautiful kick, kicked 2 goals aswell. Think Siposs kicking and thats nearly him!

Hampshire Shephard is nice recruit for Zebs. Did nice things.

Chris Irving was one Zebs listed players.

Seb Ross was awesome til injury, Raph was good til his day ended. Lever & Webster both injured aswell.

how bad is seb ross's injury?

besides Raph (another hamstring???) any other injuries?

any of the saints players ready for round 1?

Ross looked fine at end. Just corkie by looks of it.

Nt sure on Raph, looked fine when we saw him leaving.

Webster copped kick to leg & looks like Lever has done calf again.

Only Ross would be in mix for round 1 but Dunnel, Minchington & Curran might play at some stage this year

I don't think anyone will be promoted unless we have injuries. No point paying them extra to sit in the VFL.

I was disappointed with the games of Jacko and Crock. Thought they'd be alot more prominent at VFL level (even at this stage of he season).

Curren was very good (except his kicking for goal - not a natural which surprised me alot), but you've got to weigh it against strong performances of delisted AFL players (in Cockie, Shepheard and Cook).

Andreoli seems solid at VFL level - just not seeing the next big jump (in standard) in him.

Happy with our first year rookies though. Dunell is impressive (I love that I expect him to kick the goal every time), Staley seems a really good natural talent that needs a season or two to bulk up, and Minchington did many good things (only his size holds him back).

We get two promotions automatically I believe, does this mean it's a 3 way fight between Dunell, Shenton and Curran?

Dont think we do, AFL released list of clubs that could and we werent one of them. Have to wait for LTI, so lets hope noone has to get elevated!

Sandringham David Gallagher captain may not play on

DAVID "Gags" Gallagher, Sandringham's captain and free-spirited wingman, has almost certainly played his last game in the VFL.

The 150-game veteran told the Zebras late last week that he was unlikely to play on.

It followed his selection in the reserves team for the practice match against Werribee last Saturday.

He had missed the previous game against Box Hill Hawks.

Sandy general manager John Mennie said this morning: "He missed a lot of the pre-season ... and I know he's having a think about it.

He's going to catch up with Gerry (club president Gerry Ryan) and myself in the next week or so and have a heart-to-heart or what have you.

"I just think he's got to the stage where he's thinking now maybe he's gone on one year too long."

Mennie said Gallagher counted as a "legend" of the Zebras.

"He's been sensational, an outstanding contributor to Sandringham over many years. He's as loyal as loyal can be and he'll tell you straight out he just loves Sandringham Football Club."

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/afl/local...298035998?sv=38946b6d2004e6b7e3a8b4c34089ec5f

That would be really bad news for Sandy. While it may be great to see all the quick kids running around, you still need some big bodies to win the ball and 'protect' the featherweights.

Irving and Marigliani (and, as I see it, Dowler as the only big - not just tall - guy from the group of newcomers) will have some work ahead of them without the strong and tough Gallagher, Dore and Magner...

I just hope this has nothing to do with being selected for the reserves, it would be a real shame if the career of a loyal (and proud - I have seen him have a clear opinion a few times...) legend ended this way.

Maybe, although it seems he's not been available at times during the pre-season. Gotta remember he was running around for the Crows in 1999!

I was surprised to see Waller and Bruno named in the ressies, and - to be honest - a couple of the Saints boys didn't justify their spots. Maybe the Saints wanted them all in the same team given the new coach and structures to implement?

Wilkes, Shenton and Polo would bring a bit more muscle and Winmar, Milera and Saad some experience to go with the pace. Archer will return in a few weeks as well.

As Holden mentioned on Saturday, it was a very young squad. Markworth, Newnes and Ross have talent - but I'd query whether they are going to dominate VFL this year. Lever, Webster and Staley are very light at this stage (and Crocker isn't much bigger than last year, and played accordingly, particularly if you compare him with Curren).

As an aside, it seems they've come around and given Mini the other 2 goals!

Sandringham: 15.19.109
Werribee: 17.9.111
Goals - Minchington 4, Irving, Dunell, Curren, Crocker 2, Shepheard, Cook, Hallahan 1
Stats - Cockie 31 disposals (22 contested), Curren 26 disposals, Irving & Cook 20 disposals
Tackles - Cockie 8, Shepheard 6, Irving 4

Thank god for that, started to think we were going crazy or something!!

So what do we think of that performance by Curren? Expected, unexpected? Is he gonna demand a spot (/long term injury) before the end of the season?

Not bad for a rookie to kick 4 goals in the Sandy seniors - practise match or not.

So what do we think of that performance by Curren? Expected, unexpected? Is he gonna demand a spot (/long term injury) before the end of the season?

Not bad for a rookie to kick 4 goals in the Sandy seniors - practise match or not.

Curren gace the impression late last season that he's got enough pace, nous, and skill to be a good VFL player. His ability to train hard and bulk up during pre-season was darn encouraging. I was a little disappointed with his shots on goal - doesn't have natural goal sense with the snaps. It's a bit hard to tell whether he can transition to AFL, where nearly all the players are as quick as him. Good signs though.

Minchington was a surprise. Certainly knows where the sticks are, and did plenty of good work around the ground (including tackling). They reckon he's 179cm (possibly he is in high heels). Strong build on him though.

I'm real happy with our rookies. Dunell is a sweet kick and seems slick enough, Shenton is already in the main squad (mind you, I've hardly noticed him aside from the wolfmother look), Staley has good hands and intensity along with a long kick, and Minchington looks like he could definitely contribute at AFL level.

Much depends on their attitude and ability to train at an elite level whilst staying injury free, but I liked what I saw (although Staley should probably be playing reserves given his lack of size at this stage).

Webster, Lever and Newnes look too small for mine (in terms of 2012). Ross is clever, but not alot of pace. Would be surprised to see him play many AFL games this year. Markworth is super quick, but he's very light too (if VFL players are able to nudge him off the ball easily, the AFL guys will monster him).

Curren gace the impression late last season that he's got enough pace, nous, and skill to be a good VFL player. His ability to train hard and bulk up during pre-season was darn encouraging. I was a little disappointed with his shots on goal - doesn't have natural goal sense with the snaps. It's a bit hard to tell whether he can transition to AFL, where nearly all the players are as quick as him. Good signs though.

Minchington was a surprise. Certainly knows where the sticks are, and did plenty of good work around the ground (including tackling). They reckon he's 179cm (possibly he is in high heels). Strong build on him though.

I'm real happy with our rookies. Dunell is a sweet kick and seems slick enough, Shenton is already in the main squad (mind you, I've hardly noticed him aside from the wolfmother look), Staley has good hands and intensity along with a long kick, and Minchington looks like he could definitely contribute at AFL level.

Much depends on their attitude and ability to train at an elite level whilst staying injury free, but I liked what I saw (although Staley should probably be playing reserves given his lack of size at this stage).

Webster, Lever and Newnes look too small for mine (in terms of 2012). Ross is clever, but not alot of pace. Would be surprised to see him play many AFL games this year. Markworth is super quick, but he's very light too (if VFL players are able to nudge him off the ball easily, the AFL guys will monster him).

i'm feeling a little discouraged about the saints recruits from what you wrote.

I hope the kids improve. as Scott Watters keeps saying, the saints have 21 players who have played 10 games or less. Unless we get games into them the saints maybe go downhill fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly cant see any of our 2011 recruits bar Ross playing this year. Obviously the mature guys like Wilkes, Saad, Milera will but honestly from watching them at Zebs on weekend and Intra Club etc so far they all look so raw and so far away senior footy.

I hope the kids improve. as Scott Watters keeps saying, the saints have 21 players who have played 10 games or less. Unless we get games into them the saints maybe go downhill fast.

We could play all of them all the time, and then we'd be like Port or Melbourne.

Don't be. Just because I say that they don't look able to impact in 2012 (I'd even include Ross in there even if he does get the odd game) doesn't mean they weren't the right picks.

Lyon erred in ignoring the kids with a few years under their belt, and then in his last year suddenly started playing the first year recruits who all ended up injured.

No harm done in letting them develop for one season in the VFL, and playing some good games (not just showing occasional glimpses of talent) at that level.

I'm pretty stoked that out of the 2010 draft we have three players who straight away look like they are in for the duration.
( As opposed to someone like Geary who we kept because we had no-one better , and we've had him for 6 years and still waiting for him to break into the team ).

To get our team back on track after all the neglect, I think Pelch will need to be a bit ruthless, and it should be a good draft next year. The key to getting a good midfielder seems to be to draft a lot of them and keep the ones that look the goods early.
Crocker must be under the pump this year.

curren will be a very good player for the saints in two or three years down the track and hope they perservere with him,
wouldnt think he would get a game this year but would be happy to see it happen.

Here is another article ive written for the Zebs, this time on new recruit Brendan Allen.

After the disappointment of not being drafted in 2010, the former Murray Bushrangers captain, Brendan Allen, decided to take a year out from the game. In his year off, he played a handful of games for his local club Euroa and only trained occasionally. He continued to work on his career outside of football and was successful in obtaining his real estate licence.

Allen recently signed with Sandringham for 2012 and says now it is time to work hard and start playing good footy again.

Having followed the Zebras success throughout his younger years, he was excited to join the club that he had watched and admired and it became a main factor in his signing.

“I watched a lot of VFL footy when I was younger and with Nick Sautner up forward kicking a bag each week, Sandringham always seemed to win!” explains Allen.

“I was also very impressed with the culture of the club. Coming from the country, the place really does have a country footy club feel about it and a lot of pride is shown in wearing the jumper.”

READ MORE - http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10447-0-0&
sID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18649294

I think with selections, what's true for St Kilda will be true for Sandy. If Watters is going to go the Collingwood selection approach (GOPs being replaced by kids who are not as good yet but show potential), that may well be the policy for Sandy as well. They're getting games into their kids (and realistically, for the next few years OUR rookies are THEIR players) to get them prepped for a shot at the VFL flag in a few years with those kids.

We HAVE to keep reminding ourselves that, St Kilda has promised to take seriously the Zeb's interests, as well. The kids aren't just playing for the Zebs to try out for the Saints. They are playing to set up victories and premierships for the Sandringham Football Club as well. As posters like Zebraman and Thunda have made clear, if we just treat Sandy like extended training for the Saints' interests, the affiliation is GONE. And I think that would be sad for everybody.

In terms of the Rookies, look, we have FIVE kids looking like almost-definites for Round 1 in the AFL season (Stanley, Sippos, Ledger, Simpkin, Cripps), with Saad yapping at the heels, too. We certainly don't need our rookies to be the next Mzungu. Let them learn the craft in the Zebs, learn to love the Zebs almost as much as they love the Saints, and lets see them learn the pressure of finals footy, even if it's in the VFL for a few years. Then we'll see what happens.

I think with selections, what's true for St Kilda will be true for Sandy. If Watters is going to go the Collingwood selection approach (GOPs being replaced by kids who are not as good yet but show potential), that may well be the policy for Sandy as well. They're getting games into their kids (and realistically, for the next few years OUR rookies are THEIR players) to get them prepped for a shot at the VFL flag in a few years with those kids.

We HAVE to keep reminding ourselves that, St Kilda has promised to take seriously the Zeb's interests, as well. The kids aren't just playing for the Zebs to try out for the Saints. They are playing to set up victories and premierships for the Sandringham Football Club as well. As posters like Zebraman and Thunda have made clear, if we just treat Sandy like extended training for the Saints' interests, the affiliation is GONE. And I think that would be sad for everybody.

In terms of the Rookies, look, we have FIVE kids looking like almost-definites for Round 1 in the AFL season (Stanley, Sippos, Ledger, Simpkin, Cripps), with Saad yapping at the heels, too. We certainly don't need our rookies to be the next Mzungu. Let them learn the craft in the Zebs, learn to love the Zebs almost as much as they love the Saints, and lets see them learn the pressure of finals footy, even if it's in the VFL for a few years. Then we'll see what happens.

but why can't we get a rookie like the next Mzungu. Or why can't we get a player like in other clubs who have rookies or 1st year players that stand out.

My use of Mzungu there, was just to say we don't need a rookie to come in immediately and dominate. We have enough going on youth-wise already. Rookies are always long shots, projects, or in the case of older rookies, insurance for injury.

I'm happy with 5-6 youth coming into our side in round 1: that's over a quarter of the whole team. Why put pressure on rookies in that situation? We don't need them to get eaten alive. We need them to learn how to play, and how to win. They'll learn that at Sandy.

While we do need mids to keep flowing into the team our big gap in the future is going to be talls. I guess thats why they are trying to draft for versatility.
McEvoy is the only ruck we can play with confidence, ( Stanley still an unknown quantity ). Already struggling against monster forwards in defence we will have Blake moving on.
No clear replacement for Kosi or Riewoldt. In an ideal world some young tall would have pushed Kosi out of the team by now.
While Cripps is a ripper, I almost wish we'd gone for Darling instead but we probably didnt count on losing both Lynch and Walsh.

We have almost replaced the older fringe players ( Blake , Clarke , Polo, Geary, Peake remain, but they are a level above Eddy, Fiora, McQualter, Gamble, and probably Heyne, anyone remember Charlie Gardiner? )

Staley looks an ideal type for mine. Reminds me alot of Woody.

Watters did say that we've recruited for run, and clearly this is part of his thinking with the forward line. A number of mobile 6'2+ players have been picked up under his watch - Shenton, Dunell, Markworth, Milera (OK he's 6'1 but he can jump) - to complement Rhys and Sippa.

If Archer and Staley develop (with Wilkes still a candidate as a backup forward) the gaps might not be too bad.

Staley looks an ideal type for mine. Reminds me alot of Woody.

Watters did say that we've recruited for run, and clearly his is part of his thinking with the forward line. A number of mobile 6'2+ players have been picked up under his watch - Shenton, Dunell, Markworth, Milera (OK he's 6'1 but he can jump) - to complement Rhys and Sippa.

If Archer and Staley develop (with Wilkes still a candidate as a backup forward) the gaps might not be too bad.

6 footers who are good overhead and kick for goal solidly. That model will serve us well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back