VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a team with a blend of experience, youth ,flexibility, speed & clearly making a statement to the list..!!

B: Goddard, Dempster, S.Fisher,
HB: Simpkin, Koschitzke, Gilbert,
C: Montagna, Dal Santo, Steven,
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Stanley,
F: Siposs, Wilkes, Milne,
R: McEvoy, Hayes, Jones,

Int: Saad, Ledger, Cripps, & Milera (Sub)

Unlucky to miss out , injured or simply require work on their game..

Armitage, Blake, R. Clarke, Gram, Geary, Gwilt, Polo, Peake, Ray, Ross, Winmar,

like it :thumbsu:
but i'd have
IN: peake geary
OUT: saad cripps

Thanks for the reports. To the poster who said Wilkes is a liability in defence, shivers he hasn't had much of a chance yet :eek:

Beau Dowler announced as Sandringham Captain for 2012.

Beau Dowler - "Great honour to be captaining such a great club, looking forward to a great year"

Leadership Group consists of Beau Dowler (Captain), James Hallahan, Peter Shakallis, Matt Stapleton, Chris Michaliades, Myke Cook, Daniel Sands

Information for Sandringham v Box Hill Hawks - Sunday 25th March

Now this is unofficial, but I would suggest those going to see the game take Public Transport instead of driving. Parking near the ground is normally pretty bad, however on that Sunday is the Ironman Melbourne Championship.

The run leg of the course runs right past the ground and I'm unsure what time in the afternoon/early evening it could be hectic or any parking restrictions. (I noticed the markings for the race on the bike path next to the ground after watching last Sunday's practice game)

There maybe little/no interruptions, but if you want to be on the safe side, I suggest taking a Sandringham train to Hampton Station, then (turning right and) walking about 5 minutes along Hampton street to the ground.

For those who can't get to the ground, the game will be on the radio from 1pm 3wbc 94.1 FM and online at www.3wbc.org.au

Hopefully though a lot of people can get there as no AFL in Melbourne this weekend.

I asked the club and they said Beach Rd is open as normal from 9.30am. So not expecting any more parking/traffic delays then normal.

I asked the club and they said Beach Rd is open as normal from 9.30am. So not expecting any more parking/traffic delays then normal.

Hope so, cause Frankston (where a fair chunk of the event is held) has got another of streets closed and those going to the Port v Frankston game have been told to take Public Transport.

Either way, I hope there's a big crowd there. Last time these two teams played when the Hawks and Saints weren't playing that weekend, there was a crowd of at least 3,000 (at Box Hill).

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/131106/default.aspx

Simon McPhee said it was a hard slog for the 13 St Kilda listed players who featured in Saturday’s game against 2011 Premiers, Port Melbourne.

“Physically, it (the game) took its toll on the players,” recounted Simon McPhee.

McPhee said the Club’s alliance with St Kilda has helped strengthened the side heading into the 2012 season.

“We’re really happy with their (St Kilda’s listed players’) attitudes, and they’re working in really well with the Sandy players,” he said.

“I think it’s really helped with that we’re trying to coach the same way, which makes it easier for the players to adjust.”

Sandy’s Development Squad, which included three Saints players, also won its match against Port Melbourne: 16.12.108 to 14.9.93, with St Kilda’s Jordan Staley kicking 2 goals.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...with-sandringham/story-e6frecjc-1226305074461

It was St Kilda coach Scott Watters who got Adam Cockie thinking about moving to Victoria. Watters had coached him at Subiaco, including the 2008 premiership, and told him the VFL, with its smaller grounds and emphasis on contested footy, would play up his strengths.

New Zebras coach Simon McPhee, who had coached against Cockie and admired his game, collected the midfielder from the airport. He made an immediate impression.

"His first night at training, you could see what the fuss was about, just with his skills and the way he used the ball," Sandy development coach Paul Kennedy said.

Cockie was added to West Coast Eagles' rookie list after his premiership with Subiaco. Promoted to the senior list, he played seven AFL games, the first an intrastate match against Fremantle Dockers. "It was one of the most exciting things I've ever done, playing in the derby," he said.

But Cockie struggled with injuries in his second season with the Eagles and was let go. Last year he had problems with his abductor muscles, but he still gave Subiaco a decent season.

Cockie's settled at Albert Park and says he's looking forward to a successful stay in Victoria.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...ID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18699335

Seniors

B Curren Blake Wilkes
HB
Simpkin Dowler (C)Andreoli
C
Ross Polo Ray
HF
Crocker Dunell Cockie
F
Milera Coleman Minchington
R
Sikora Cook Armitage
Int
Irving Lourey Newnes Saad Shepheard Ferguson Shenton Michaliades Winmar

Bold = St Kilda listed player

Development Squad

B Shakallis Barnhoorn Allen
HB
Hallahan Ferguson Webster
C
Smith-Cameron Waller Stapleton
HF
Mavric Markworth Michaliades
F
Staley Lever Lourey
R
Beech Irving Maley
Int
Meehan Widdowson Maitland Williams Bruno Crocker Andreoli Brown La Rocca Soriano Jones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...ID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18699335

Seniors

B Curren Blake Wilkes
HB Simpkin Dowler (C)Andreoli
C Ross Polo Ray
HF Crocker Dunell Cockie
F Milera Coleman Minchington
R Sikora Cook Armitage
Int Irving Lourey Newnes Saad Shepheard Ferguson Shenton Michaliades Winmar

Development Squad

HB Hallahan Ferguson Webster
C Smith-Cameron Waller Stapleton
HF Mavric Markworth Michaliades
F Staley Lever Lourey
R Beech Irving Maley
Int Meehan Widdowson Maitland Williams Bruno Crocker Andreoli Brown La Rocca Soriano Jones

Missed a couple with the Bold aussiethunda.

I didn't bold them, was direct from Zebs website and they missed Staley!!

Do the Hawks have to wear a clash strip, or (in keeping with the StKilda alignment ) are the home team made to wear one, or do we all go crazy?

Yep...they've worn a clash strip for a few years now...it's a horrible silver coloured jumper...unless they've changed it for this year...

Sandy's change strip is pretty average as well

Will be interesting to see how the team actually lines up.

The backline looks too tall (Wilkes, Blake, Simpkin, Dowler), and Wilkes was much better value at FF anyway.

On that, interesting to see Lourey on the extended bench with the lad from the Dragons named at FF.

I have thought that Markworth had been struggling a bit, so good to see him named in the ressies. No rush - he doesn't yet know how to use his pace effectively (his opponent is often reading the ball better, which allows him to negate the Mark's pace).

Surprised to see Crocker named in front on Shenton (who kicked 4 last week), although I'd note that Crock is also named in the ressies (whereas Shaggy is not).

I think the reason they've got those three talls, Squizz, is because each of them will be given a go to prove themselves as fullback for Round 1.

Oh, and prepare for Milera to come out for a big one. I hear he's DESPERATE to play against Port, and so will pull out every trick he's got to impress. Could seriously see him as the Gram replacement in this upcoming game. I know he's a forward, but his pace and flair and goal-kicking have the potential to be very Gram-like coming from the backline or the middle.

Seniors

B Curren Blake Wilkes
HB
Simpkin Dowler (C)Andreoli
C
Ross Polo Ray
HF
Crocker Dunell Cockie
F
Milera Coleman Minchington
R
Sikora Cook Armitage
Int
Irving Lourey Newnes Saad Shepheard Ferguson Shenton Michaliades Winmar

Development Squad

HB
Hallahan Ferguson Webster
C
Smith-Cameron Waller Stapleton
HF
Mavric Markworth Michaliades
F
Staley Lever Lourey
R
Beech Irving Maley
Int
Meehan Widdowson Maitland Williams Bruno Crocker Andreoli Brown La Rocca Soriano Jones

OK omitting injured players and those listed above - that leaves 19 players [edit - make that 20 players] who are most probably going to play for St Kilda next week.

(Hayes, Milne, Fisher, Kosi, Riewoldt, Peake, Montagna, Dempster, Jones, Dal, Schneider, Goddard, Gilbert, Geary, McEvoy, Steven, Ledger, Cripps, Siposs, [edit Stanley] )

That leaves 3 [edit 2] players to be decided by the VFL performances.

I'd say Blake is pretty much a certainty (being his 200th match) but maybe I'm wrong which means that Simpson and Wilkes are being tested to see if either can take the FB spot from Blake. I'd expect it to be Blake and one of the other two.

Maybe there is a spot for one of Milera / Saad or Armitage / Polo or Ray / Ross.

Could be interesting to see who steps up in this match and the comparison to who gets selected next week

You're missing Stanley, which means probably 2 spots to be filled by Simpkin/Wilkes/Blake and Armitage/Ray

I'd say Blake is pretty much a certainty (being his 200th match) but maybe I'm wrong which means that Simpson and Wilkes are being tested to see if either can take the FB spot from Blake. I'd expect it to be Blake and one of the other two.

i was thinking that too but then i thought maybe they will save his 200th for a home game. i think they'll give him his 200th against GC. doesnt have to play interstate, gives a reason for the supporters to watch GC at etihad. better chances of a win.

i'd say simpkin is the certainty, i just think theyre trying to get as much mileage into his legs as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back