2012 SC Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone had a play around with their team using a four rookie ruck line up?

Yep, very tempting. I've done a heap of combinations and the 4 rookie ruck line up always comes out with the highest predicted score. The major problem lies in game time and job security.

If Cox averages 120 ppg his price will drop to $593,000 by Round 13. If Redden averages 90 ppg his price will rise to $427,000 by Round 13. That's a pretty simple swap right there.

If Mummy averages 113 ppg he will cost $557,000 by round 13. If Giles averages 70 ppg he'll increase to $333,000 at rnd 13. Bit harder of an upgrade but still do able of your other cows have mooed.

The freed up cash allows an extra premium or high mid on two of the other three lines. Given the lack of quality Back and Fwd rookies, I've added players there. They quality you can add is equal to or greater than the scoring ability of Cox and whoever.

It has merits, and it's certainly viable, it's just very high risk/high reward.

Yep, very tempting. I've done a heap of combinations and the 4 rookie ruck line up always comes out with the highest predicted score. The major problem lies in game time and job security.

If Cox averages 120 ppg his price will drop to $593,000 by Round 13. If Redden averages 90 ppg his price will rise to $427,000 by Round 13. That's a pretty simple swap right there.

If Mummy averages 113 ppg he will cost $557,000 by round 13. If Giles averages 70 ppg he'll increase to $333,000 at rnd 13. Bit harder of an upgrade but still do able of your other cows have mooed.

The freed up cash allows an extra premium or high mid on two of the other three lines. Given the lack of quality Back and Fwd rookies, I've added players there. They quality you can add is equal to or greater than the scoring ability of Cox and whoever.

Have looked at it but also means you'll be 400+ points behind the rest of the comp in rucks - reckon you can find mids who will average higher than rookie rucks which makes the equation simple in my very simple mind

Slight variation on the 1 premium/3 rookie ruck strategy.

Mumford, Giles (Redden, Pattison), with Hale in the forwards.

Means I have Hale at F5, and use either Giles or Redden at R2.

If things go pear shaped (Mummy injured or suspended, Giles or Redden injured or not performing), then I can shift Hale into the ruck.

I like Hale's scoring potential (not just on NAB cup form), especially given;

* Bailey's injury
* Renouf gone
* Roughead may not play in the ruck when he returns (read somewhere that Clarkson said that).

Riskier than 2 premo/2 rookie rucks, but I hate the idea of Giles & Redden potentially scoring big and not being used on the bench.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

FWIW, my previous set up was;

Mumford, Kreuzer (Giles, Redden) with Porplyzia in the forwards instead of Hale.
**The cash saved by using this strategy also allowed me to upgrade Dale Thomas to Pendlebury.

If things go pear shaped (Mummy injured or suspended, Giles or Redden injured or not performing), then I can shift Hale into the ruck.

* Bailey's injury
* Renouf gone
* Roughead may not play in the ruck when he returns (read somewhere that Clarkson said that).

Riskier than 2 premo/2 rookie rucks, but I hate the idea of Giles & Redden potentially scoring big and not being used on the bench.

Mumford, Kreuzer (Giles, Redden) with Porplyzia in the forwards instead of Hale.
**The cash saved by using this strategy also allowed me to upgrade Dale Thomas to Pendlebury.

That's actually pretty sexy. Most of us with the 1-3 combo have Big Orren at R4, which traditionally has been rarely used. So, you lose nothing in scoring and gain the MPP swing with Pattison. The way you used the extra cash makes it very tasty. Good work.

PS - like Gibson, Hale was never this good at North. :thumbsdown:

yeah I was enjoying the extra cash but have decided to go a little safer with only three rookies.

* Bailey's injury
* Renouf gone

I'd locked this in with Roughead until I found out about his achilles. It worked a charm for me last year with Petrie, who I think was buy of the season for that exact reason, but I'm not so keen on Hale.

Haven't read back so apologies if it's been asked/commented on before but I have a dilemma in choosing between Big O and Redden as R4.. I currently have a 2P 2R setup with Giles being the obvious R3... Any suggestions, recommendations or warnings on either of the two?

Haven't read back so apologies if it's been asked/commented on before but I have a dilemma in choosing between Big O and Redden as R4.. I currently have a 2P 2R setup with Giles being the obvious R3... Any suggestions, recommendations or warnings on either of the two?

Redden will score more than Stephenson but Stephenson has better job security. Depends what you are after.

Yeah, that was my take on it too... I guess when you have 2 premium rucks + Giles, job security isn't a massive issue so maybe the higher scorer would be better for price increase... Cheers!

* Bailey's injury
* Renouf gone

Petrie Mark II.

The one thing Hale has going for him is the fact he is pretty much a nessisity for Hawthorn given the injuries in their ruck department.

But I wouldn't expect him to be kicking 6 goals on a regular basis.

For those doing the 4 rookie or 1 gun 3 rookie ruck strategy - what do you think of Giles score last night? Whilst it was a reasonable score and probably all I could have hoped for, I'm starting to doubt my decision.

For those doing the 4 rookie or 1 gun 3 rookie ruck strategy - what do you think of Giles score last night? Whilst it was a reasonable score and probably all I could have hoped for, I'm starting to doubt my decision.

I've gone with the 1 gun, 3 rookie set up. Giles probably exceeded my expectations last night. Looked completely outclassed in the first quarter or so, but really did well from then on.

Probably more disappointed that Mumford didn't dominate.

Definitely happy I have Giles at R2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've gone with the 1 gun, 3 rookie set up. Giles probably exceeded my expectations last night. Looked completely outclassed in the first quarter or so, but really did well from then on.

Probably more disappointed that Mumford didn't dominate.

Definitely happy I have Giles at R2.

Super happy with Giles at R2. 88 when he spent most of the 3rd quarter on the bench injured is a big win and looks great for the season. He only has to outscore 2-0-2's worst rookie each week. Big O as R4 is the bigger concern ie can he moo enough and play enough games to be useful cover.

The big test will be can my extra mid premo outscore Cox (or other ruck premos) to double the benefit.

Giles was pretty good. Combined with Big O, who I know has rock solid JS, does make me start to think about going the 1-3 strategy.

If you are confident you can make the right decisions with the freed up dollars to make up the difference between Giles and the top ruck premiums, it could be worth it.

Giles was pretty good. Combined with Big O, who I know has rock solid JS, does make me start to think about going the 1-3 strategy.

If you are confident you can make the right decisions with the freed up dollars to make up the difference between Giles and the top ruck premiums, it could be worth it.

Mmmm .......sounds like you are trying to convince yourself?

Go for it, join the darkside & discard the time honoured set & forget.:p

Last year & this year might be the only opportunities you have to do so, until the next franchise anyway.

What about 0-4?

You have Redden, Longer, Giles, Stephenson and maybe even Cordy, Gorringe to choose from.

It comes down to who would you rather have Cox or Mumford OR potentially one more of Swan/Pendles/Ablett/Boyd/Selwood/Godard, etc.

What about 0-4?

You have Redden, Longer, Giles, Stephenson and maybe even Cordy, Gorringe to choose from.

It comes down to who would you rather have Cox or Mumford OR potentially one more of Swan/Pendles/Ablett/Boyd/Selwood/Godard, etc.

Going to be really hard to upgrade two premium rucks though I would've though.

Plus the array of decent MID rookies makes me think 0-4 would be a bad idea.

Points for thinking outside the box though :thumbsu:

I originally had Mcintosh and Kreuzer locked it but changed to Mumford, Giles and 2 rookies.

I'm happy with my decision at this stage, although i thought Mumford may score more. Considering i thought he had an average game and still managed to score 96 suggests he is going to get a lot of big scores throughout the season, when he works up his fitness base a little more.

What about 0-4?

It's a thought. There's some good rookie mids though.

Mmmm .......sounds like you are trying to convince yourself?

Go for it, join the darkside & discard the time honoured set & forget.:p

Last year & this year might be the only opportunities you have to do so, until the next franchise anyway.

Yep trying to convince myself :p

It's not the worst idea though, it's risky but if it works you get say 10 weeks of data to look at who the best upgrade target would be. Given the sub rule making it tough for SC coaches to work out how often rucks will be rested (e.g. Sandi) or how many points they'll lose with job sharing (e.g. Goldstein now McIntosh is back, Leuy if Hudson plays etc) it might be useful just to sit and wait and see.

It's a thought. There's some good rookie mids though.

Yep trying to convince myself :p

It's not the worst idea though, it's risky but if it works you get say 10 weeks of data to look at who the best upgrade target would be. Given the sub rule making it tough for SC coaches to work out how often rucks will be rested (e.g. Sandi) or how many points they'll lose with job sharing (e.g. Goldstein now McIntosh is back, Leuy if Hudson plays etc) it might be useful just to sit and wait and see.

That's the main reason i only went with the one premium ruckman:thumbsu:

Ive got mumford and luenberger (giles and stephenson on bench)

Im not sure of Luen as R2. Anyone have some advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back