2013 AFL National Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I've said it in a few threads, but 2013 looms as just as strong a year as this years crop imo.

Theres some absolutely outstanding underage players putting up some huge numbers in TAC Cup/Colts as well as in the championships and looks to be an absolute belter.

The mini draft will obviously strip Hogan/Martin out of it, but the remaining depth looks outstanding at this stage.

they thought that the 2012 draft would be the best ever based on the early guys but the next group of guys didnt appear as expected so its not really the super - super draft that was expected. from talk it seems the strength of the 2012 draft is in the quality that extends through the top 20-30 guys.

the 2013 group appears to be the same in that the high end looks quality. time will tell if the next group pushes through to join them.

#Superdraft

Are you able to give us some names to look out for?

Billings, McDonald, Hogan, Martin, Hartung, Aish, Crouch, Scharenberg, Tsitas have all been very good for their state sides.

There will be plenty of underage All-Australians this year, in a very strong top age group.

From the little I've seen the top-end in the '12 draft is amazing, but it lacks KPP strength, but that doesn't differ from most drafts, as there hasn't been a KPP-strong draft since '06 IMO. Although if O'Meara was availiable we'd be talking about the best no.1 and no.2 punch we've seen.

Isn't Boyd availiable next year, too?

Billings, McDonald, Hogan, Martin, Hartung, Aish, Crouch, Scharenberg, Tsitas have all been very good for their state sides.

There will be plenty of underage All-Australians this year, in a very strong top age group.
Pykie, is Ryan Bastinac's brother worth a look?

From the little I've seen the top-end in the '12 draft is amazing, but it lacks KPP strength, but that doesn't differ from most drafts, as there hasn't been a KPP-strong draft since '06 IMO. Although if O'Meara was availiable we'd be talking about the best no.1 and no.2 punch we've seen.

Isn't Boyd availiable next year, too?

Yeah, Boyd is next year. Lennon's another name to watch, has been good in the TAC.

Aish has been better than toumpas and menzel in the sanfl this year (and most port Adelaide listed players for that matter). I expect him to go very high next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[Billings, McDonald, Lennon, Martin, Whitfield, Hartung, Tsitas,)
I've been watching these guys for some time now & one thing that concerns me is that they're ALL lightly built
"outside" running players, no hard at it & win your own footy types at all. Especially Billings, McDonald & Lennon from Vic Metro, Whitfield from Vic Country, who constantly run pass a team mates after he's won his own ball & demand the handball "gimmy". Have a look at how many "hand ball receives" they get each game in the TAC CUP stats, not to many contested mark stats showing up either. I believe TAC CUP should have a "hard ball gets" stat to display a real balanced player. Who ever decides to take them on in the 2013 draft, would have to sacrifice a couple of years in order the build them up & in the end, may end up with another "Scully" type who many feel is over rated.

At the moment the real leaders for next years draft would have to be:
James Aish, Jesse Hogan (Mini draft potential), Thomas Boyd, Matt Crouch (mini draft potential), Luke McDonald (NM - F/S), Jack Martin (mini draft potential), Jack Billings, Joshua Kelly, Ben Lennon, James Tsitas and Matt Scharenberg.

Solid group at this early stage. I have to agree with thespota - there isn't that same strength of inside mids other than probably Crouch, then also there just aren't the high level ruck options next year that we have enjoyed in recent seasons, but again it looks like another really solid draft. Some quality KPPs and some more outside talent are the primary attractions at this point.

Matt Crouch should be top 5.

[Billings, McDonald, Lennon, Martin, Whitfield, Hartung, Tsitas,)
I've been watching these guys for some time now & one thing that concerns me is that they're ALL lightly built
"outside" running players, no hard at it & win your own footy types at all. Especially Billings, McDonald & Lennon from Vic Metro

Cannot agree at all.

Cannot agree at all.
I've watched many tac/ags/aps games over many years, I've seen a lot of young guys rise to the top.
What makes the difference between being just "another" AFL listed player & becoming a house hold name is the ability to win the hard ball, not the amount a possessions you can rack up in junior footy. Time will tell as to how far these boys will go, my opinion is based on previous examples, I hope I am proven wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 AFL National Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back