2013 All Australian Team Announcement

Remove this Banner Ad

This reads oddly like a Bay 13 thread. I reckon maybe 2 or 3 people on this forum really watch enough footy to have an informed opinion on this.

I watch a lot of Geelong, so will just say this - Andrew Mackie has had a wonderful year in the co text of our players. He's certainly in the Top 4 at the cats this year for mine, and we got 4 players picked. Whether we deserve 4 players is another question, but the answer to that question seems to depend on which club you support. How he compares with every other equivalent in the league over the whole season??? No idea.

Every year the AA selectors need to throw up some names that fall into the "I know the general public didn't consider them deserving, but we're the experts" category. Then there's the, "I know you all think he had a great year, but not as good as you think," category.

It usually doesn't lead to players who are totally undeserving getting in (except Craig Bolton in 2009, but that's a different story), but it leads to players who've had very good season, but not AA seasons getting in. This year, that honor goes to Andrew Mackie, Jeremy Cameron and to a lesser extent Michael Johnson for mine. While Nat Fyfe has been robbed.

This reads oddly like a Bay 13 thread. I reckon maybe 2 or 3 people on this forum really watch enough footy to have an informed opinion on this.

I watch a lot of Geelong, so will just say this - Andrew Mackie has had a wonderful year in the co text of our players. He's certainly in the Top 4 at the cats this year for mine, and we got 4 players picked. Whether we deserve 4 players is another question, but the answer to that question seems to depend on which club you support. How he compares with every other equivalent in the league over the whole season??? No idea.
And you've hit the nail on the head there. People believe that they can objectively assess performance, but that's an illusion. Every judgement we make is relative. I prefer systems that do away with the illusion of objectivity. The Age footballer of the year is the worst award, because they think they can rate each performance objectively, independent of all others, deriving a single number to rate each performance. Rubbish.

Yeah, he's all over it. Did you catch him in the ANZ surface segment when he told Demetridoh to occasionally just tell the truth?

Yeah, loved the "just once admit that you're wrong". Pretty much sums Vlad up in one succinct sentence.

Yeah, loved the "just once admit that you're wrong". Pretty much sums Vlad up in one succinct sentence.

Posted on the Talking Footy thread :

Carey closes the "discussion" with a plea for forthrightness from AFL Hindquarters when they occasionally get it wrong.

This was Vlad at his passive-aggressive best/worst!

That was worth the price of admission (ads).

Yeah, he's all over it. Did you catch him in the ANZ surface segment when he told Demetridoh to occasionally just tell the truth?
The rumor stuff doesn't work for him, but if he goes hard the way he played footy...and...well, if he goes hard at least and chooses his battles astutely, he could be a solid media performer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take out Mackie for Fyfe and they it would be my team, McViegh (C) for me also.

Working backwards to 1991: 5, 9, 6, 10, 9, 11, 8, 5, 7, 5, 6, 8, 5, 6, 8, 3 (1997 - Burke, Harvey, Jones), 6, 8, 7, 5, 5, 4.
Great work. So we have to go back to 1997, one of the most even seasons I can remember. Hmm...I don't think this season has been anywhere near that even.

I actually can't find too many faults with the side this year. Gibson or Johnson were very close, so can't fault Johnson making it. I'm surprised Hanley didn't make the squad though. Centre line picked itself. Glad Danger made it again obviously, and it's well deserved. Bloody awesome reward for Wingard and Cameron, don't see many 2nd year AAs. Minson was clearly the best ruckman, so glad they got that right this year (unlike picking NicNat over Jacobs last season).

Not sure about Watson making it, don't think his season has been an absolute standout, and he missed a number of games. Barlow or Fyfe were more deserving. Happy with the rest of the bench though. Good to see Mackie finally making it as well, one of the genuine good guys in footy who has had a consistent career besides the one hiccup in 2010.

How did neither of Fyfe or Barlow make the team?

Mackie, Enright? Surely they are taking the piss.
Well Barlow is such a dud that he couldn't even make the final 40 cut..............o_O
Considering Figjam Jakovich usually has plenty to say, you would think he may have supported a few more non-vic players in the squad. Perhaps the rest of the selection group do what most do - nod at him and then completely ignore :D

I thought it was a pretty good team. The biggest issue I have is Fyfe missing out, would have him ahead of Mitchell on the field, or Mackie on the bench. May have put Hanley in as well.

Didnt say he didnt, just didnt think he was that good

Whether you like Mitchell or not, he deserved an AA selection this year. FFS we finished 1st. Are you telling me that Hawthorn should only have one player in the AA team? I know you hate Hawthorn, but Mitchell has again been our best player this year along with Roughead. Don't like it? To bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 All Australian Team Announcement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back