2013 All Australian Team Announcement

Remove this Banner Ad

Mackie over Hibberd is an absolutely staggering selection, yes he has a had a good year but has been streets behind Hibberd.
Hibberd (I know he wasnt even in the 40 but he had a far better year then Mackie) beat him comfortably in basically every stat that matters as a HBF, and was a lot more accountable as a defender...I would just love to see the AA panel try to explain that one.

It's staggering that Hibberd's season has gone unnoticed, far superior than Mackie, I would even have Hodge, Walker and Simpson in front of him.

Interesting that some of the biggest players, commanding the biggest money, and that are holding out on their Clubs are nowhere to be seen in the AA side.......

Franklin, Martin, Thomas for instance.

I just came here to say Cameron's selection over Riewoldt is a joke. Cameron kicked 12 more goals in a side with no other offensive avenues and Riewoldt shat on him in every other way possible. No shame in that as Cameron is only 20 and clearly gonna dominate in years to come, but the AFL has jumped the gun in an effort to force the creation of a superstar for their newest club.

The only other selection I have a real problem with is Mackie on the bench. Clearly a case of 'he's been a good player for a long time so we'll reward a mediocre season to make sure he gets his AA nod before he's retired'.

I just came here to say Cameron's selection over Riewoldt is a joke. Cameron kicked 12 more goals in a side with no other offensive avenues and Riewoldt shat on him in every other way possible. No shame in that as Cameron is only 20 and clearly gonna dominate in years to come, but the AFL has jumped the gun in an effort to force the creation of a superstar for their newest club.

The only other selection I have a real problem with is Mackie on the bench. Clearly a case of 'he's been a good player for a long time so we'll reward a mediocre season to make sure he gets his AA nod before he's retired'.

Mackie was not on the bench, was on half back line.

Mackie -> Gibson
Watson -> Fyfe
Cameron -> Riewoldt
Boak (stiff) -> Thomas

Then rearranging:

B: Enright, Thompson, Johnson
HB: McVeigh, Taylor, Mitchell
C: Jack, Selwood, Griffen
HF: Dangerfield, Riewoldt, Wingard
FF: Thomas, Roughead, Cloke
R: Minson, Ablett, Pendles

BENCH: Fyfe, Swan, Hannebery, Gibson

If you want to change the teams structure then an extra mid or small forward instead of Gibson would be the go but I like the idea of having a 7th back and my choice is Gibson just ahead of Mal.

The stiff list:
Boak
Mal
Watson (injury cost him)
Kennedy (Tempted to swap him in for Cloke)

Plenty of guys were stiff to miss, however I reckon all 22 who were selected would also have been stiff to miss.

If this team played in a match Roughead would be the back-up ruckman so I've got no issues with him as a forward pocket changing in the middle.

It's staggering that Hibberd's season has gone unnoticed, far superior than Mackie, I would even have Hodge, Walker and Simpson in front of him.

Hibberd wasn't far superior, his stats have him marginally better. Walker although more talented isn't a defender's arseh*le neither is Simpson. You could argue for Hodge, how much of his season did he play as a pure defender though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hibberd wasn't far superior, his stats have him marginally better. Walker although more talented isn't a defender's arseh*le neither is Simpson. You could argue for Hodge, how much of his season did he play as a pure defender though.

They have him marginally better in most stats and the other ones he is clearly better in, for example the one where Hibberd averages almost twice as many rebound 50s than Mackie which to me is just about the most vital stat in there position. This is a clear mistake in my opinion and Hibberd had a much better year than Mackie. I guess they must have taken into account how Essendon finished the year but if they actually watched they would have seen that although the teams performance slipped Hibberd continued to play just as good as he had throughout the entire season.

They have him marginally better in most stats and the other ones he is clearly better in, for example the one where Hibberd averages almost twice as many rebound 50s than Mackie which to me is just about the most vital stat in there position. This is a clear mistake in my opinion and Hibberd had a much better year than Mackie. I guess they must have taken into account how Essendon finished the year but if they actually watched they would have seen that although the teams performance slipped Hibberd continued to play just as good as he had throughout the entire season.

Doesn't matter in the end I guess since we're arguing over an interchange spot and not the starting HBFer.

Doesn't matter how much Hawthorn supporters say that Mitchell played in that position, in the end, like Walker he's not a defender's arseh*le. You could argue for him being selected on the ball or the bench but as a defender is a joke.

I just came here to say Cameron's selection over Riewoldt is a joke. Cameron kicked 12 more goals in a side with no other offensive avenues and Riewoldt shat on him in every other way possible. No shame in that as Cameron is only 20 and clearly gonna dominate in years to come, but the AFL has jumped the gun in an effort to force the creation of a superstar for their newest club'.

Agree thoroughly.

Jack's goal assists make up the difference in goals anyway. And last year he wasn't selected because "it's not just about goals" and this year he wasn't selected because he got less goals than someone (but better in every other category).

Cameron will be a future star but Jack was better in 2013.

Jack's petulance reputation shouldn't be a factor at all in selecting the best players.

Interesting that some of the biggest players, commanding the biggest money, and that are holding out on their Clubs are nowhere to be seen in the AA side.......

Franklin, Martin, Thomas for instance.

I think Franklin is in a good position to be holding out for as much money as possible likely returning to his best next year ala Cloke. But both Martin and Thomas have question marks over their head which will definitely make clubs think twice about picking them up on big $

Freo have had a player snubbed in a big way last three season, fyfe, Pav last season and McPharlin in 2011 as if Reid is better than himo_O

Freo have had a player snubbed in a big way last three season, fyfe, Pav last season and McPharlin in 2011 as if Reid is better than himo_O

Freo hasn't fared well over the years.

Club|Wins|AA|Wins/AA
\GWS|3|1|3.00
\GC|14|3|4.67
\Ge|324|56|5.79
\St|258.5|43|6.01
\WC|284|44|6.45
\Ca|246|38|6.47
\Ad|265.5|40|6.64
\Co|271|35|7.74
\WB|251|32|7.84
\Sy|255|32|7.97
\Ha|272.5|31|8.79
\Br|236|25|9.44
\PA|189.5|20|9.48
\Fi|31|3|10.33
\Es|277|26|10.65
\NM|275.5|24|11.48
\Me|198|15|13.20
\Fr|181.5|13|13.96
\Ri|211|15|14.07

Fyfe is a gun - plays in wrong market though. Gets in in front of Hannebery in my team....

I agree ... and I barrack for the swans. Hanneberry season has been overrated, had a strong start to the the year but very indifferent second half. His Brownlow result will be inflated by the number of BOGs but he will probably only vote in about 6 games.

I agree ... and I barrack for the swans. Hanneberry season has been overrated, had a strong start to the the year but very indifferent second half. His Brownlow result will be inflated by the number of BOGs but he will probably only vote in about 6 games.
My supercoach told me the same - had them both from round one and while Fyfe just got better and better, it was the opposite with Hannebery.....

A thought on the second All Australian team:

B: Hibberd, Mackenzie, Gibson
HB: Hodge (c), Carlisle, Malceski
C: Wells, JP Kennedy, Fyfe
HF: Mayne, Riewoldt (vc), Franklin
F: Motlop, JJ Kennedy, Thomas
R: Goldstein, Steven, Douglas
Int: Walters, Mundy, Johnson, Liberatore
Notes: Named the players from the squad first, before bringing in Hibberd, Carlisle, Johnson, and Liberatore

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 All Australian Team Announcement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back