2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A much bigger MCC turnout at the footy tonight compared to Friday nights game. Awesome crowd! Is that the biggest H & A Geelong Hawks game?

The crowd was 85,197, a touch under the 86,179 that attended the 2008 fixture.

The last 11 Hawthorn V Geelong home and away fixtures have now drawn an average crowd of 73,200...

If you pool together the two Geelong V Hawthorn crowds for the season it's a chance to be the highest drawing fixture for the season (161,497 across two fixtures). As far as the discussion on rivalry is concerned it probably needs a major knockout final and/or another Grand Final to solidify itself as an enduring major rivalry...

The crowd was 85,197, a touch under the 86,179 that attended the 2008 fixture.

The last 11 Hawthorn V Geelong home and away fixtures have now drawn an average crowd of 73,200...

If you pool together the two Geelong V Hawthorn crowds for the season it's a chance to be the highest drawing fixture for the season (161,497 across two fixtures). As far as the discussion on rivalry is concerned it probably needs a major knockout final and/or another Grand Final to solidify itself as an enduring major rivalry...

As far as the current generation is concerned, its likely Geelong v Hawthorn is THE rivalry, Carlton v Essendon is up there with the WA and SA derbies, Essendon v Collingwood is more perpetuated from its Anzac Day clash than anything else. In terms of tradition though, Carlton v Collingwood endures from the depths of time, with genuine feeling, particularly among the older supporters.

Over the last 5 years:

Clubs with matches over 70,000 since 2009.

• Collingwood v Carlton - 10 matches, 7 over 80k, 10 over 75k)
  • Collingwood v Essendon - 7 matches, 2 over 90k+, 5 over 80k)
  • Essendon v Carlton - 7 matches, 2 over 80k, 3 over 75
  • Collingwood v Geelong - 5 matches, 4 over 80, 5 over 75
  • Collingwood v Hawthorn - 5 matches, 2 over 80, 4 over 75
  • Richmond v Essendon - 4 matches, 3 over 80
  • Richmond v Carlton - 4 matches, 2 over 80, 3 over 75
  • Geelong v Hawthorn - 3 matches, 1 over 80 (including last night)
Note - Richmonds matches v Essendon are all Dreamtime games., 5 of the Essendon v Collingwood games are ANZAC Day.

As far as the current generation is concerned, its likely Geelong v Hawthorn is THE rivalry, Carlton v Essendon is up there with the WA and SA derbies, Essendon v Collingwood is more perpetuated from its Anzac Day clash than anything else. In terms of tradition though, Carlton v Collingwood endures from the depths of time, with genuine feeling, particularly among the older supporters.

Over the last 5 years:

Clubs with matches over 70,000 since 2009.

• Collingwood v Carlton - 10 matches, 7 over 80k, 10 over 75k)
  • Collingwood v Essendon - 7 matches, 2 over 90k+, 5 over 80k)
  • Essendon v Carlton - 7 matches, 2 over 80k, 3 over 75
  • Collingwood v Geelong - 5 matches, 4 over 80, 5 over 75
  • Collingwood v Hawthorn - 5 matches, 2 over 80, 4 over 75
  • Richmond v Essendon - 4 matches, 3 over 80
  • Richmond v Carlton - 4 matches, 2 over 80, 3 over 75
  • Geelong v Hawthorn - 3 matches, 1 over 80 (including last night)
Note - Richmonds matches v Essendon are all Dreamtime games., 5 of the Essendon v Collingwood games are ANZAC Day.
Are all the Carlton v Richmond 70k+ games the Round 1 game?

That said, I think the whole replacement thing is a bit over stated.

For games like last night where its 1 v 2 I probably have to agree thinking about it as Hawthorn supporters would have turned up in massive numbers whether they had to pay full price or not, games like this dont come around often especially with the rivalry attached.

Are all the Carlton v Richmond 70k+ games the Round 1 game?

It'd be interest to push the comparison back to 60,000, all 10 Hawthorn V Geelong home and away games since 2009 have drawn 60,000 plus. Of the 3 70,000 plus attendances, all have drawn over 75,000 (admittedly 2 have been Easter Monday fixtures)

Another big fixture, perhaps a GF this year, could ensure the fixture becomes an enduring rivalry (perhaps with the help of Easter Monday?)

For games like last night where its 1 v 2 I probably have to agree thinking about it as Hawthorn supporters would have turned up in massive numbers whether they had to pay full price or not, games like this dont come around often especially with the rivalry attached.

Agree with that, ditto round 17 last year against Collingwood. The fact that Geelong's lack of home game reserve seating made the game a pusedo home game for Hawthorn members helps the cause as well...how often can you get public reserve seating on the wing?

Agree with that, ditto round 17 last year against Collingwood. The fact that Geelong's lack of home game reserve seating made the game a pusedo home game for Hawthorn members helps the cause as well...how often can you get public reserve seating on the wing?

The replacement game impact is a tad overstated anyway. Opposition fans in the AFL and MCC reserves aren't paying at the gate either, and it is those that determine if a crowd will reach 50,000 or 80,000.

The fact that this was 1v 2 and the MCC (in particular) and AFL members were all but full confirms that there was probably 10-20,000 neutral fans there last night to see the blockbuster of the season so far. Neither of these clubs are well represented in either member reserve. Also I would say the replacement thing is only worth 5,000 or so extras. But that's what happens, it was the perfect storm of factors leading to such a great crowd on the night that even ordinary weather couldn't get in the way of.
Just imagine if the Essendon v Hawthorn game in 3 weeks was at the G. At thus point anyway it looms ad a huge turnout in much the same way as the Ess V Cats game would have.

The crowd at the Dome yesterday was excellent and only a few member no shows on Friday stopped another mid 80's crowd. Hopefully the westher holds up today and a decent 30,000+ at Ethihad ans Dubiaco and anither big round aggregste attendance. Footy is pretty healthy usnt't it!

It'd be interest to push the comparison back to 60,000, all 10 Hawthorn V Geelong home and away games since 2009 have drawn 60,000 plus. Of the 3 70,000 plus attendances, all have drawn over 75,000 (admittedly 2 have been Easter Monday fixtures)

Another big fixture, perhaps a GF this year, could ensure the fixture becomes an enduring rivalry (perhaps with the help of Easter Monday?)

Last 10 years
  • Collingwood v Essendeon - 17 games over 60+
  • Collingwood v Carlton - 14 games over60+
  • Collingwood v Geelong - 10 gamesover 60+
  • Geelong vHawthorn - 10 games over 60+
  • Collingwood v Hawthorn - 8 gamesover 60k
  • Melbourne v Collingwood - 8 games over 60k
  • Collingwood v Richmond - 7 games over 60k
  • Carlton v Richmond - 7 games over 60k

The fact that this was 1v 2 and the MCC (in particular) and AFL members were all but full confirms that there was probably 10-20,000 neutral fans there last night to see the blockbuster of the season so far. Neither of these clubs are well represented in either member reserve. Also I would say the replacement thing is only worth 5,000 or so extras. But that's what happens, it was the perfect storm of factors leading to such a great crowd on the night that even ordinary weather couldn't get in the way of.

Hawthorn and Geelong are both in the top 5 most supported clubs amongst MCC members...so that's not exactly true.

FWIW the same neutral impact that applied last night would apply to any number of Essendon V Carlton/Collingwood fixtures...

*Awaiting the inevitable response that Collingwood/Essendon and Carlton have fans while Hawthorn/Geelong cant fill a stadium :rolleyes:

Hawthorn and Geelong are both in the top 5 most supported clubs amongst MCC members...so that's not exactly true.

FWIW the same neutral impact that applied last night would apply to any number of Essendon V Carlton/Collingwood fixtures...

*Awaiting the inevitable response that Collingwood/Essendon and Carlton have fans while Hawthorn/Geelong cant fill a stadium :rolleyes:

I disagree. The biggest neutral factor usually occurs when it is 1 v 2 on the ladder at the 'G (does not really matter who the 2 opponents are). Neutrals want to see the best teams play against each other.

But how many neutrals were there last night? You would probably say somewhere around 7000. It was a great turnout from both Geelong and Hawthorn supporters last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of the reason why the game draws 'overs' (and by overs I'm talking about the typical 70k that attend the fixture) is due to the rivalry between the clubs...in much the same way Essendon/Carlton has a tendency draw more supporters from both support base.

Whether the crowd size will be enduring, like Essendon/Carlton, will depend on whether the rivalry between the clubs can withstand an inevitable decline in form.

FWIW, the Melbourne/Sydney crowd was 4k/5k lower than normal attendance for the same fixture over the last 3-4 years.

I don't think the neutral impact would be anywhere near as significant, except for Anzac Day.

Carlton vs Collingwood: 78,224 (MCG) - About on par, good turnout for Collingwood vs Carlton with the two teams 8th vs 9th

GWS Giant vs Western Bulldogs: 7,132 (StarTrack Oval) - Slightly disappointing compared to the 11,092 that turned out to GWS vs St.Kilda. Considering the two teams had a combined record of 3 wins and 23 losses going in, it's perhaps not that bad.

North Melbourne vs Richmond: 45,966 (Etihad Stadium) - Great turnout

Brisbane vs Gold Coast Suns: 27,170 (Gabba) - Terrific turnout! Imagine if these two teams are ever top 4 at the same time!

Geelong vs Hawthorn: 85,917 (MCG) - Proof that this is the most anticipated match-up every year. Probably got slightly better neutral turnout compared to Collingwood vs Carlton, but an exceptional crowd

Adelaide vs West Coast Eagles: 26,426 (AAMI Stadium) - Was it raining in Adelaide? I didn't see any of the game so I'm assuming it did. If it didn't, than that's disappointing.

Melbourne vs Sydney: 26,126 (MCG) - Pretty good for a Melbourne game. Maybe the fans have responded to Neil Craig?

Fremantle vs St.Kilda: 34,064 (Pattersons Stadium) - About on par for Fremantle vs low-drawing opposition, nothing out of the ordinary.

Essendon vs Port Adelaide: 40,817 (Etihad Stadium) - Awesome crowd for the dead timeslot!

Total: 371,932 which is apparently the highest drawing round ever!

Some fantastic crowds this weekend. Kudos to all those who attended.

Even as an Essendon supporter, surprised by the twilight crowd considering the dead time slot and being at Etihad.

Come on Essendon supporters attend Etihad better than any other team. I think there would have been less people there if it was the same timeslot at the 'G.

Well done to the dons supporters for getting to the game tonight.

2013crowdsr15.png

toproundtotals.png

Geelong v Hawthorn - biggest crowds since 2003

geelvhaw.png

I don't think the neutral impact would be anywhere near as significant, except for Anzac Day.

Couldn't agree more, we should be thankful the 30k or so neutrals graced us with their presence :rolleyes:

...because I'm sure Dreamtime at the G is packed almost entirely with Richmond and Essendon fans. FWIW I'm sure the neutral impact would have been relatively strong for this fixture but fact remains its probably the #1 rivalry for both the Hawks and Cats, accordingly the fixture has a proven track record attracting larger numbers of supporters through the turnstiles.

There was no rain at AAMI during the match or for at least 2 hours beforehand, and it wasn't as cold as I expected it to be. Terrible turnout by Crows fans with their season on the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back