2013 DRAFT discussion thread: Rookie Draft complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have such high expectations on these kids because the team was so poor we forget what a first afl season should be like , under daniher Sylvia bate McLean jones and a host of others were forced to sharpen there teeth in the magoos

Now we just throw them in an wonder why they aren't club champions in there first season

This feels like the first season i can think of since jack watts came that the NO 9 pick won't be under a mountain of pressure from round 1

( I am aware the hogan is already the saviour)

You don't expect them to dominate in their first season, but you do expect to see signs and flashes of talent. Some kids like Heppell can step right into it and seem at home straight away. I remember Frawley as being terrible in his first few games. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a top 10 pick midfielder to be able to step straight in and contribute every now and again though.

I'd rather we avoided Salem. Doesn't seem to get a lot of the footy - I'd rather we went after an explosive player (Freeman, etc) or a ball magnet (Crouch) than a bloke who might end up being another half back flanker.

I'm no expert U/18 analyst but I'll say it again, watching Freeman's highlights leaves me completely underwhelmed!

His highlights show he has leg speed but it rarely shows him kicking the ball lace out to the leading player & those where he does find a player seem to be more the fact the marking player has out pointed his direct opponent. I really hope he is gone by #9 & that way we don't have a choice to make. (It seems very unlikely though)

I would much prefer Salem! Nice left foot kick that appears to already have that two way running ethic that Roos loved while coaching the Swans & I'm sure he'll deploy at Melbourne too.

That said, perhaps flying Scharenberg over for those scans may have been our ploy to scare off a couple of clubs & he could perhaps fall to our pick too or even Aish! I would take either of them first & then Salem, Sheed, Acres, Crouch, Dunstan, Dumont etc rather than Freeman

You don't expect them to dominate in their first season, but you do expect to see signs and flashes of talent. Some kids like Heppell can step right into it and seem at home straight away. I remember Frawley as being terrible in his first few games. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a top 10 pick midfielder to be able to step straight in and contribute every now and again though.

I'd rather we avoided Salem. Doesn't seem to get a lot of the footy - I'd rather we went after an explosive player (Freeman, etc) or a ball magnet (Crouch) than a bloke who might end up being another half back flanker.

As has been said its much easier for young players to step into a team that's playing we'll than a team that was statistically one of the worst in history

Last year at a stoppage there was almost no one to make an impact
Now with cross Vince viney trenners jones x2 michie Riley the no 9 and toumpas are going to be way more confident at a stoppage

Couch looks to me to be a little Magner’esk.

I still really rate Sheed. Yes is a bit of an accumulator, hasn’t got great leg speed, but has a record of getting the ball and hitting the scoreboard. In terms of gathering outside run, next year might be our year. We’ll in all likelihood finish bottom 4 again, and have an early pick (P1-3). And assuming the teams (ie St Kilda, Brisbane etc) that will potentially finish below us all need talls, and there are some good ones going to be available, I’d suggest we have first crack at the best mid in addition to the outside run of Billy Stretch in the second round.

I'm no expert U/18 analyst but I'll say it again, watching Freeman's highlights leaves me completely underwhelmed!

His highlights show he has leg speed but it rarely shows him kicking the ball lace out to the leading player & those where he does find a player seem to be more the fact the marking player has out pointed his direct opponent. I really hope he is gone by #9 & that way we don't have a choice to make. (It seems very unlikely though)

I would much prefer Salem! Nice left foot kick that appears to already have that two way running ethic that Roos loved while coaching the Swans & I'm sure he'll deploy at Melbourne too.
I tend to agree with what you've said about Freeman, but I'm also underwhelmed with Salem. His low stat count worries me because his elite foot skills counts for nothing if he doesn't find the ball. First and foremost, I want a mid who knows how to find the ball.

I still believe that Sheed is our best option. He just comes across as a natural midfielder who can kick goals, but doesn't have any frills about him that get amateur recruiters excited. I don't think that we're in a position to take a high risk selection at 9, so I'd go for the natural footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More like a Dom Sheed or a Matt Crouch.

Sheed really shouldn't be a curveball. Dunno how we're rating Freeman and Salem and the like above him when Sheed was clearly the far superior player in the champs. Seriously how the hell people want to draft two guys who could barely get near the ball at U18 level is beyond me.

Been plenty of first year players who have come in to struggling sides and still been reasonable. Rhys Palmer is fairly gash and still did alright for Freo in his first year. I'm sure there are plenty of others who did a job, but I'm not going to research it. Yes we're bad, yes it's not easy for new players, and I'm not writing anyone off on the basis of one season, but we make a lot of excuses for players at times.

Haven't seen anything of Crouch, but averaging 37 possies a game is a big tick for me. We've got plenty of guys who don't get nearly enough of the footy - I wouldn't mind drafting someone who clearly knows how to find it. Magner was 25 when we drafted him, Crouch will be 18. I'd imagine there'd be a fair bit of bombing it long in those touches but hopefully he'll learn to do better as he goes along.

Anyway, guess we'll see. Don't really care who we get as I don't know much about any of these kids.

I'm with you, provided an Aish or Scharenberg hasn't slid, but I worry he's a bigger, fitter version of Blease.

Blease has an attitude problem and broke his leg before even getting to the club. Freeman, by all reports, is an extremely dedicated kid.

Blease has an attitude problem and broke his leg before even getting to the club. Freeman, by all reports, is an extremely dedicated kid.
Speaking of Blease, I questioned his drafting at the time because of his low possession rate at TAC Cup and under 18 champs. I was informed that he'd had an illness that affected his endurance. Four years on, and the bloke still can't find the pill. You just can't teach players certain things, and the ablility to read the play is one of them.

May not've been the hips that were inhibiting him later this year as much as the poor fitness base.
I just put it down to the hips, to the fitness, and the fact that the game was Way too quick for him. Viney (while he had an ok 1st season) wasn't an absolute gun, but it's to be expected - it's their 1st season in the big leagues.

Speaking of Blease, I questioned his drafting at the time because of his low possession rate at TAC Cup and under 18 champs. I was informed that he'd had an illness that affected his endurance. Four years on, and the bloke still can't find the pill. You just can't teach players certain things, and the ablility to read the play is one of them.

I recall blease kicking 5 goals playing the saints or did i imagine that?

My preference is Scharenberg if he slides, which is unlikely.

Failing that, my preferences in order are: Salem, Freeman, Sheed, Dunstan

Do not want: Bontempelli (if he slides), Lennon or any out of left field.

I'm basing this on a few minutes of highlights and a hunch rather than any knowledge, just like the rest of us. Jason Taylor was at Collingwood during a period where they never wasted a first round pick, so I'll back his judgement.

1. Boyd
  2. Kelly
  3. ?
  4. Bontempelli
  5. Kolodjashnij
  6. Aish
  7. ?
  8. McDonald
Seems to be the order. Billings surely fits in at 3, and Scharenberg at 7, but no real confirmation.

Well tomorrows the big day..

I've decided I'll be equally as happy with either of Salem or Freeman, but if Sharenberg slides I'll be happy to snap him up as well.

Agree hopefully one of those three, won't be fussed if we pick a Sheed or Lennon but the first three would be preferable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back