2013 DRAFT discussion thread: Rookie Draft complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like we'll be getting someone decent no matter what happens, downgrading to 9 and getting Tyson is making a lot of sense. It's essentially pick 7 anyway because Boyd is number 1 and North have McDonald at number 8 locked in.
But then put Hogan & Martin back in and the pick is essentially 11

I would take him at 9 with even with his stress injury, it seems we got the AFL commission to run scans on his feet and these reports are available for any team that requests them, wonder if getting the scans were partly us trying to cause some uncertainty around him so he slides.

Even if he doesn't play for half the year if he overcomes his injuries he will be a steal at 9.

Yeah exactly, I just think the story is rubbish tbh :p

Anyone knowing about this conlon kid I just read about on afl.com? Will he go early? Could heave it to the rookie? Not a bad idea to pick a really young ruck who may take 6 years to get where he needs to be. Just my take on it.

Do we take Scharenburg if he is available?

If it was me, absolutely i would. His kicking is said to be very good, so too his decision making and reading of the play. Something the rest of our KPD don't seem to have, particularly foot skills.

Sure he has an issue with his feet, but he put in 2 good years before breaking down with this injury, so it's not as if it has been a constant problem. Get him right, however long that will take, then at the very least we have a 10+ year quality defender, who might be able to push into the middle.

People have been calling out for KPD depth for McDonald, Frawley and Garland and Scharenberg offers that as well as potential to be a really good midfielder or a possibly better Gilbee/Suckling kind of player.

People have been calling out for KPD depth for McDonald, Frawley and Garland and Scharenberg offers that as well as potential to be a really good midfielder or a possibly better Gilbee/Suckling kind of player.

at 190cm, he would be too small to play KPP.

but we do need a polished HB flanker.

Hoping he would develop in a big body mid still but would be satisfied with a quality HB kicker.

Would take Scharenberg if there. Then Dom Sheed and Salem. Off the Freeman bandwagon.

at 190cm, he would be too small to play KPP.

but we do need a polished HB flanker.

Hoping he would develop in a big body mid still but would be satisfied with a quality HB kicker.

Would take Scharenberg if there. Then Dom Sheed and Salem. Off the Freeman bandwagon.

McDonald and Frawley are 194cm and 193cm respectively, not much taller than Scharenberg who might still have a few cm to grow (for anyone who doubts this, I grew a good few cm in the months after I turned 18). But yeah I don't think he'll be a permanent KPD for us and would be more useful as a Dyson Heppell type, but in case one of our big defenders goes down I think MS would be a more than adequate replacement in the short-term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Scharenberg play midfield / has the attributes to develop into a mid? Roos has a thing for big mids.

Yep.

Great kick, strong body, good contested ball winner, great mover.

With Watts being our tall versitale utility I don't think we should be looking at Scharenberg. We should be looking at players with class and pace, Salem, Freeman and Lennon I would be looking at with our first pick.

With picks 40 I like the look of James Tsitas, could be a solid tagger in the future. Chris Cain and dare I say it Garlett would be in the mix.

Pick 57 I would look at getting some key defence depth or possibly another ruckman to develop until Jamar retires. We can also look through the rookie draft to find these players as well.

I would love to see us take Zac Jones with pick 9. We've got lots of early picks wrong in the past - but he will be a very successful player. Absolutely no doubt in my mind - so it's a no risk pick I reckon. And in my mind as we are building a club, a dynasty ... what better cornerstone than having both the Jones' brothers hard at it every week! Think of the psychological benefits for both Nathan and his bro huddling up and singing the song after a win. While there might be classier or faster players in the draft I don't think there is better in terms of rebuilding our club for success!!! I don't want to see him in a Cats guernsey either!!!! P.S. I know there is a third brother too but I don't know much about him.

I would love to see us take Zac Jones with pick 9. We've got lots of early picks wrong in the past - but he will be a very successful player. Absolutely no doubt in my mind - so it's a no risk pick I reckon. And in my mind as we are building a club, a dynasty ... what better cornerstone than having both the Jones' brothers hard at it every week! Think of the psychological benefits for both Nathan and his bro huddling up and singing the song after a win. While there might be classier or faster players in the draft I don't think there is better in terms of rebuilding our club for success!!! I don't want to see him in a Cats guernsey either!!!! P.S. I know there is a third brother too but I don't know much about him.

No way in hell we use pick 9 on Zak Jones, that's reaching massively.

People need to stop getting caught up in the Jones boys playing in the same side, it's cringeworthy.

Scharenberg is the one we want if he slides apparently which would be a very good pick, hope it does happen if not I would be happy with Freeman/Sheed/Salem.

Not sure why anyone would be cringing... We've wasted earlier/similar picks on duds like Morton, cook, scully... I'd prefer jones no . 2 to any of that list ....

Yes it's romantic to get Jones but I pick 9 is too high of a pick to pay. Yes we may of stuffed up some high picks before but I don't think it's a good enough reasons to go f it just pick Jones. As for some one like Lucas cook, that's not a wasted pick as in he wasn't a gun player that was going to go top 20 and a future star. It was completely out the blue we picked him. So there goes the theory of just pick up a Smokey because we've stuffed it up before. (Mind you picking up Jones wouldn't be half the disaster that was Lucas cook)

This has become another episode of "let's convince Taylor Adams to walk to the PSD for us!" FFS people we are NOT GOING TO TAKE JONES AT #9. It just won't happen. I'll be stoked when Thursday rolls around and we can finally stop speculating about it.

Not sure why anyone would be cringing... We've wasted earlier/similar picks on duds like Morton, cook, scully... I'd prefer jones no . 2 to any of that list ....
Scully will work out in our favour (hogan, Barry and Dawes), not that he's not a good player in his own right. Morton was a concensus top 4 pick and Cook whilst a reach was the U18 AA CHF and a vic country co-captain.

Zac Jones at 9 would by far be the worst call we'd have made. Particularly if Scharenberg (or even Aish) is still on the board.

I think Freeman has to be our man.

Right now, the top 10 in the draft looks as though it hinges on who Gold Coast take out of Scharenberg and Kolodashnij.

Tom Boyd will go at 1, Luke McDonald has gone at 8. Even though they have form with their late swoop on O'Rourke>Toumpas, it looks very clear that Josh Kelly will be off to GWS at #2.

From there, it becomes hazy. Jack Billings looks pretty deadset to go at pick 3 or 4. That leaves one of Aish, Scharenberg or even Bontompelli to go at 3 or 4. Therefore, two of those three will get to pick 5, where you add Kolodashnij into the mix. If Scharenberg is gone by 5, GC are a great shot at taking KK at #5. If a miracle happens and Aish slips through to 6, you imagine that the Pies won't hesitate.

Scenario 1

3. Billings
4. Scharenberg
5. KK
6. Aish

Scenario 2

3. Billings
4. Aish
5. Scharenberg
6. Bontompelli/Aish

Scenario 3

3. Billings
4. Aish
5. KK
6. Scharenberg

Scenario 4

3. Scharenberg
4. Billings
5. KK
6. Aish

These appear to be the most likely.

Then, you have to factor in the revelation about Scharenberg's feet.

If clubs are truly scared off, you're looking at (presuming Billings doesn't fall past 4):

3. Billings/Aish
4. (Billings) Aish/Bontompelli
5. KK
6. Aish/Bontompelli/Freeman
7. McCarthy/Freeman
8. McDonald
9. ?

Roos' apparent fondness of big midfielders will likely see Scharenberg heavily considered if he is at our pick. Otherwise, Freeman looks like a lock unless Sheed bolts. For me, Freeman is the right guy for us considering the lack of noise around Sheed. Strong in the body, good speed but inherently an inside midfielder. A Tom Scully type, dare I say it.

In my ideal world, we would take Sheed and really load up on inside grunt. However, that looks unlikely.

I see Scharenberg as a back flanker, but with Grimes/Terlich or McDonald/Dunn/Vince/Strauss etc. I just don't see it as a priority area. He could be a mercurial Luke Hodge kind of player, but with messed up feet I think Freeman is our man. We took the injured slider over our man last year, do we do it again?

Spanner in the works is 82kg/183cm Christian Salem who Knightmare has us taking at 9 over both our targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back