2013 DRAFT discussion thread: Rookie Draft complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL: Draft numbers set to fall in shallow pool

Also, I thought the minimum 3 picks included rookie upgrades but going by this they must be live picks. Clisby upgrade not looking likely if this is the case.
Confusing article. I'm pretty sure rookie picks count in the 3 minimum, it says Adelaide is taking that path.

Confusing article. I'm pretty sure rookie picks count in the 3 minimum, it says Adelaide is taking that path.
I thought the same but Adelaide were stripped of picks for 2 years remember - would have been harsh to force them to put crap kids on their list. I checked 2012 briefly and Adelaide only used 2 live picks last year as well.

I sense the article may still be off though.

Edit: Geelong only used 2 live picks last year so yeah the article is a little off.

http://drafttracker.afl.com.au

So on the MFC website today, they have Matt Crouch's profile. The one from 30 players in 30 days from the AFL website.

1st one out of the eight to show up on our website. Omen, maybe?

Strange!

Could happen, do we even know where the Freeman speculation has come from?

I thought it strange considering Sheed was on Sunday and wasn't mentioned by us. I still think Freeman is our #1, but now leaning towards Crouch being picked if Freeman unavailable.

Freeman will almost certainly be available with Bontompelli in Collingwood's sights.

There is a small chance Bontompelli and Aish both go in the top 5, so maybe Freeman will be the man they pick there.

Crouch is this year's Oliver Wines type, lets just pick him up and get Cross to mentor him.

I'd be disappointed if we promoted Clisby. Was okay when he played for us last season but didn't show enough to warrant getting moved off the rookie list. With a few guys back from injuries and a few new recruits, he might not be sighted again.

Don't care who we draft with #9 as long as it's a mid. Prefer a ball magnet over a speculative potential type (Crouch, Sheed sound like what we need) given our troubles getting a touch of the pill these days, but we've got room for all types as long as they can play.

The only reason would be if, big IF, Roos rates Clisby in our top 25 and so would be given regular games, can't necessarily do that if he is still a rookie

Stiff competition for Mitch, I would have thought.

Terlich Frawley McDonald
Grimes Garland Clisby/Nicholson/Dunn/Strauss/Jetta/Tapscott/Blease...Watts?

I personally prefer a pacey line breaker in that role, and I think Blease might end up being accountable there.

Didn't want to start a new thread about it, but interesting to see Gysberts was delisted from Norf today.. Another Cale Morton sized player bites the dust (for the time being).. You can generally tell which players aren't going to bulk up/put on size. Of those, you really need to be certain they have the skills that let them get away with being so skinny..

Glad it looks like we've changed course on that one as of late :)
I'm kinda glad to hear that he's been delisted. I know it sounds odd to say that, but I'm coming from the viewpoint that if Norf delisted him so quickly, then we did the right thing too. Obviously it would seem he won't cut it, much like Cale.

Terlich Frawley McDonald

I personally prefer a pacey line breaker in that role, and I think Blease might end up being accountable there.

Yeh Blease could be an idea down there, but he'd have to work on his defensive game massively. I didn't mind Clisby down there, so if it looks like nothing decent happening with the PSD then he might get upgraded, otherwise another year as a rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terlich Frawley McDonald

He is yet to show himself to be accountable in any position. I doubt that he ever really will be. But most teams can carry a couple if players who are purely offensively minded; just not in the backline. I think he needs to end up a pure winger, or close to it. Needs to kick 1.5-2.0 goals a game.

Not doing that again. Comparable to North supporters in every way, they're seriously traumatised.

I like how i have ulterior motives even though this chump thinks it's completely stupid. o_O

Hahaha - so the moron comes to our board, suggest something that we all don't agree with, and then goes to have a sook on his own board because he got laughed off ours. What a whiney little bitch. Comparing us to Norf supporters. If anything WC and Norf are more like each other. Taking on Cale Morton and Gys, hahaha say what you want about their first 2 games, but by the end of their time with us - they were complete chumps, and Norf and WC CHOSE them knowing that.

Hahaha - so the moron comes to our board, suggest something that we all don't agree with, and then goes to have a sook on his own board because he got laughed off ours. What a whiney little bitch. Comparing us to Norf supporters. If anything WC and Norf are more like each other. Taking on Cale Morton and Gys, hahaha say what you want about their first 2 games, but by the end of their time with us - they were complete chumps, and Norf and WC CHOSE them knowing that.

I don't think he had a sook. Someone else brought it up and he just responded that a few of you got your knickers in a knot about his suggestion of Acres being a possibility.

Don't mention Acres on Melb board ,one wce poster did and was laughed down for suggesting Acres some melb fans thinks his video reminds them too much of Cale Morton,does anyone see the similarities ?

If you knew about the WA boys, you would not have chucked such a sad about what was a friendly suggestion. You would see why most people rate Acres higher, it is his injuries this year that brought him down the draft order of many commentators. He is an inside mid, not an outside mid as you thought (which is why we're interested in him). There is a lot of debate on our board about who is better (from people who have actually seen them play). Largely it comes down to Acres having higher potential, being a better disposer of the ball, and being taller. On the other hand, Sheed has been getting more ball and is currently better built. Who will be better?? Well, we're all just guessing, but most WC supporters would be just as happy with either. ;) It isn't such a ridiculous suggestion.

Also, don't think you can laugh at us for picking up Morton for pick 80. You used pick 4 for him. :p

For pick 9 this is the preference of who i think we should take and why (i have taken into account that boyd and kelly will definitely be gone):

1) Aish- unlikely he will slide this far but if he does i reckon we would be crazy not to take him. is one of the classiest mids in the draft and has a huge amount of upside especially still being only 17. also has a better inside game than most give him credit for but due to playing alongside players like Duntstan and Dumont for SA who took up most of the inside work aish was given a largely outside roll.

2) Billings- i highly doubt Billings will available but if he is we should take him. He isn't a full time mid (at least not yet) but he would ad another string to our forward line which at the moment is very tall. He would make a good combination with clark, hogan and dawes providing them with accurate delivery as well as being able to crumb their contests. could also slot into a forward pocket or half forward flank from day one make an impact.

3) Scharanberg- again unlikely to slide as far as us but if he does i reckon we should take him, he doesn't fix our problem of a weak midfield but is more a case of best available. he would be able provide some run off the back line as well as being able to temperally fill any wholes we may have and potentially develop into a tall midfielder.

4) Freeman- he adds quickness to our otherwise worryingly slow midfield. while some have knocked his disposal while it is not at the level of an aaron davey it is no worse than say a nathan jones and with development i think he can improve it from where it is at currently. another big plus of freeman's game (although he didn't do it as much through the national champs) is his ability to push forward and hit the scoreboard. i was fortunate enough to watch a fair bit of Freeman play during his school football at Haileybury and he regularly kicked goals from the midfield. as a year 10 in his first APS game he kicked 4 goals playing from the midfield and dominated the game in a best on ground performance. he was heavy favourite to take out the haileybury best and fairest that year before getting injured half way through the season. at melbourne he would definitely add another dimension to our midfield

5) Salem- i only had salem narrowly behind freeman because of freeman's explosiveness but none the less salem would be an excellent pick up. our forwards would greatly appreciate his silky skills and excellent decision making through the midfield and he also has the ability to play all over the ground which is always handy. looks like having a great character and would always be trying to improve his game. another big positive of salems game is his defensive running and tackling which is first class and i believe he would be playing afl football from round one off a flank or wing.

6) Crouch/Sheed/Lennon- these three would probably be next in line but all three worry me slightly. i have concerns of crouch's endurance and disposal and feel like we would be just getting a younger magner. sheed i really like as a player with his balance of inside outside play and ability to push forward but i feel like we already have enough one paced mids and we really need to target someone with a bit more pace. Lennon I'm just not convinced on being able to make the transition into a midfielder and while being a damaging half forward or half back with the exception of billings and scharanberg who i believed are a lot more talented i think we should go for a pure midfielder

No matter who we pick, I sort of don't want them playing round 1. Send them to the VFL and make them work for it, rather than throw them to the wolves like we have with other first rounders like Toumpas, just because we had a seriously deficient midfield and were looking for a 'saviour'. I think our midfield group now is good enough for this to not be necessary.

No matter who we pick, I sort of don't want them playing round 1. Send them to the VFL and make them work for it, rather than throw them to the wolves like we have with other first rounders like Toumpas, just because we had a seriously deficient midfield and were looking for a 'saviour'. I think our midfield group now is good enough for this to not be necessary.

Unless they earn it in the pre-season games. Quality games against Geelong and Richmond (despite probably not against best 22 teams) deserves a look against the Saints.

Unless they earn it in the pre-season games. Quality games against Geelong and Richmond (despite probably not against best 22 teams) deserves a look against the Saints.

True enough, but I just don't think it's necessary. If you look at last year's draft, Vlastuin, Mayes, and Macrae all debuted between rounds 3-5, and had pretty good years. Tom Mitchell had to wait about 35 rounds before his debut. Brad Crouch played round 2. I guess there's no point cotton-wooling players, but we've tended to not think long term regarding player development recently, which has hurt us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back