List Mgmt. 2013 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I'm changing my mind daily (depending on media hype and which highlights package I watch), so I wouldn't be unhappy with any of Freeman, Salem, Acres, McCarthy, Crouch, Lennon at our pick.

Yeah, that's probably our "pool".

What types with our next picks?

Assuming we end up with a "mid" rather than McCarthy, would love to see one of the KPF/Ruck types in Apeness, Nankervis, Brown or Conlon with a subsequent pick. MK and RW will lead the ruck division for at least another 5 years , so this would be more sensible than a less versatile dedicated project ruckman.

Can't claim first hand knowledge, and not getting much love in the previews, but after researching, can't help thinking Ben Cavarra would be a great last pick/rookie if he is still there. Seemingly overlooked because he is 3 or 4 inches short, but his achievements suggest should really be in the first couple of rounds. Could be Boomer Harvey like. (If we did "pull the trigger" on McCarthy, could be the midfield slider of choice in the purported shallow draft)

Edit: Just for a couple of "mates" on here, have no problem if the club chooses to use a late pick on Thorp.:D

Yeah, that's probably our "pool".

What types with our next picks?

Assuming we end up with a "mid" rather than McCarthy, would love to see one of the KPF/Ruck types in Apeness, Nankervis, Brown or Conlon with a subsequent pick. MK and RW will lead the ruck division for at least another 5 years , so this would be more sensible than a less versatile dedicated project ruckman.

Can't claim first hand knowledge, and not getting much love in the previews, but after researching, can't help thinking Ben Cavarra would be a great last pick/rookie if he is still there. Seemingly overlooked because he is 3 or 4 inches short, but his achievements suggest should really be in the first couple of rounds. Could be Boomer Harvey like. (If we did "pull the trigger" on McCarthy, could be the midfield slider of choice in the purported shallow draft)

This is one theory I'm warming to:

Take the second best available KPP in the pool (McCarthy) if he's still there - and then pick up the best available midfielders to bolster our rotations.

As has been mentioned ad nauseum - this is a shallow draft for KPP, therefore take the best you can early on and then load up on midfielders at the later stages.

Pick #13 - McCarthy
Pick #39 - Bourke/Holman
Pick #51 - Cavarra, Jansen etc

Or ... if we adopt the "take the best available" approach:

Pick #13 - Freeman/Salem/Crouch/Acres
Pick #39 - Bourke/Holman/Apeness
Pick #51 - Thorp/Conlon

Either way, I'll happily back the recruiting team in.

if were going to go down the mature player midfield track, Stephen Clifton from North Ballarat would be an ideal candidate, never really got a shot at GWS (had a broken wrist) Won the Liston Trophy twice, worthy rookie pick IMO

There should be plenty of recently delisted players finding their way on to rookie lists this year.
The likes of Cornelius, Mellington, Weller, Miles, Kennedy, Crichton and plenty of others surely get a look in. Add Tippett, Tuck, Thorp (if lasts), OB's Clifton, Cain, NB's Lambert etc and I think the age dynamic of the rookie lists are going to change a bit.

I've got two mates who played against tuck in the vfl a couple of years ago and were adamant he was nothing special. He might have come on a bit since then though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His brother Shane played at Carrum Downs in the Southern League. Up till then he had been ordinary. Played the year there, in a team that got pumped by 30 goals a game, but where he got leather poisoning, before he went to Adelaide the following year to play SANFL. Late bloomer who then got picked up by the Tiges and had a pretty solid career, and Im pretty sure a lot of people would have liked Shane Tuck in our side over the past few years. Michael Tuck survived on the Ablett/Tuck geneology for the first few years himself before he was a late bloomer too and we know how that ended up.

I'd be happy to rookie list Travis Tuck. If we picked up Matt Thomas too, we could quickly attain solid inside depth IMO at little risk, leaving the ND for the flash. Sign him on with assurances in relation to drugs etc and set him up with a job and what harm is attained. I've heard nothing but good things since he got kyboshed from the league. He has the support of a very solid family and they have a strong history of achieving later in life. His mum was a star netballer as were his sisters and cousins, and the Dams family name needs no explanantion. Give him a crack.

His brother Shane played at Carrum Downs in the Southern League. Up till then he had been ordinary. Played the year there, in a team that got pumped by 30 goals a game, but where he got leather poisoning, before he went to Adelaide the following year to play SANFL. Late bloomer who then got picked up by the Tiges and had a pretty solid career, and Im pretty sure a lot of people would have liked Shane Tuck in our side over the past few years. Michael Tuck survived on the Ablett/Tuck geneology for the first few years himself before he was a late bloomer too and we know how that ended up.

I'd be happy to rookie list Travis Tuck. If we picked up Matt Thomas too, we could quickly attain solid inside depth IMO at little risk, leaving the ND for the flash. Sign him on with assurances in relation to drugs etc and set him up with a job and what harm is attained. I've heard nothing but good things since he got kyboshed from the league. He has the support of a very solid family and they have a strong history of achieving later in life. His mum was a star netballer as were his sisters and cousins, and the Dams family name needs no explanantion. Give him a crack.

Can't say I have ever thought to myself 'I wish Shane Tuck played for Carlton'.

I have a hard time coming to grips with the definition of risk on this board.

Apparently Tuck, who was found unconscious after an overdose, is less risky than the guy who coached his side to premiership from half forward.

Fair enough too, but, reverse the comparisons to an even keel at least to be fair. You're comparing one extreme to another. What about the kid who turned his life around to be one of the best extractor mids in the SANFL, compared to the kid who was too big for his boots, always injured and was a failed high first round pick? Believe me, I'd take Thorp, and I'd take Tuck, but both have risk and both have huge upside IMO too. Rookie both and I'd be ecstatic. If it costs a selection in the ND for the Thorpedo then 51 is fine with me.

Blues ready for 2013 National Draft
"The draft this year is no different to other years, except it's probably not as deep,” Rogers said.

"It means we're expecting the top 30 or so players to be of an equally high standard.

“However, whether pick 13 will be of the same standard as last year – well we won't know until years down the track."

"When it comes to drafting players to Carlton, we must remember to differentiate between the best players available in the draft, and the best players available for the Club – they're two different types of players,” Rogers said.

"If a player doesn't fit with the culture at a Club, it will affect his long-term performance.

“So ensuring players will fit within our team is something that we take very seriously.

"We put as much science into these decisions as we can, but there is also an element of gut-feel and reflecting on decisions we have made in the past."
Blues ready for 2013 National Draft

Shane Rogers reminds me of Mr. Burns every time I see him.

Interesting comments re: getting the player to fit in the culture of the club, I wonder if he's sending a hidden message here.

I really can't wait for the draft to roll around!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting comments re: getting the player to fit in the culture of the club, I wonder if he's sending a hidden message here.

You don't say ;)

With just a hint of Rod Laver.

Thorp is a must get, assuming he is serious about the whole AFL career, the guy can play. don't care what level he has been playing, when you are 194cm tall, have that kind of agility, mark above your head, kick straight and most importantly, have the footy smarts he has; its an easy decision.

he is a walk up full forward at Cartlon who can probably play off a wing if need be as well.

my worry is how he handles himself from a mental side; obviously he'd be an easy target to opposition clubs with his history. problem is, there is only one way to find this out.

Thorp is a must get, assuming he is serious about the whole AFL career, the guy can play. don't care what level he has been playing, when you are 194cm tall, have that kind of agility, mark above your head, kick straight and most importantly, have the footy smarts he has; its an easy decision.

he is a walk up full forward at Cartlon who can probably play off a wing if need be as well.

my worry is how he handles himself from a mental side; obviously he'd be an easy target to opposition clubs with his history. problem is, there is only one way to find this out.
Just saying, I would let him go to Cartlon... wherever that is... I would only take Thorp as a rookie TBH.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/footy-tragics-top-50-power-rankings-progressive.1040150/

Have no idea how many games this guy sees but it's refreshing to have ones personal selections as opposed to just what may happen.

Sheed at @ #2 Jones @ #13 Crouch @ #50

Would like to see Carlton go with the best available KP player first pick. So possibly McCarthy, then take risks on Garlett and Thorp at the relevant stages (garlett in ND and Thorpe in RD if still there)..Any descent mids available would be ideal after that..

For years KP depth has been poor at Carlton. We do have ageing players in Judd, Simmo, Scotland, and Carrots, but mids are a lot easier to obtain via other avenues such as trades, free agency, state leagues and also develop quicker..There are also possibilities of listed players becoming mids similar to steve johnson's changes in position from permanent forward to prominant midfielder in the post ablett era at geelong. Yarran, Garlett, Menzel, Graham are all young with experience at AFL level and Sam Docherty is also a good type for a midfield role in the future..I have no doubt these players will all be developed to go through the midfield and forwardline at Carlton under the current regime..

So for me, its the best available KP player and then take some risks to get the best footballers regardless of personality and get them towing the line..

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2013 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back