Injury 2013 Injury Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Since we have multiple threads for player injuries i figured may as well all talk about them in one thread.

Injury List as of 29.04.13

Jeremy Mcgovern 9 weeks ( ankle) - This is not official and only going by Longuir saying its a 12 weeks injury
Newman 2-3 weeks ( Knee)
Mark Nicoski: 2-3 Weeks (Hammy)
Colledge (jaw) 1-2 week
Nic Naitanui: Test (Groin)
Embley Test ( Foot)
Mginnity: Test ( Back)
Priddis: Test (Concussion)
Adam Selwood: Test ( Back)

Unknown: Bennell - Should be back mid year from ACL

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2013-04-29/nic-nat-poised-to-return

A bit of a blessing that we have a 2 week break between round 1 and 2.
It might give Kerr and/or Naita a chance to get up. At the very least the guys can go flat out against Freo knowing there is a good rest coming up.

One of the posters in another board said 3AW reported last night that Wellingham actually broke his ankle on the tramp and will have surgery if it has not recovered sufficiently by round 2?...
similar to the natta situation, why wouldnt they opt for surgery straight away? sure its more invasive going the surgery route but at least you then know that its going to fix the problem as we could be now 0-2 when pre empting healing powers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since we have multiple threads for player injuries i figured may as well all talk about them in one thread.

Injury List as of 19.03.13

Mark Nicoski: 8 Weeks (Hammy)
Matt Rosa: 6-8 Weeks (Quad)
Sharrod Wellingham: 4-6 Weeks (Idiot)
Nic Naitanui: 3-4 Weeks (Groin)
Daniel Kerr: 3-4 Weeks (Knee)
Adam Carter: 1-2 Weeks (Ankle)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-18/key-eagles-add-to-woe

Also did anyone notice in that above article that they called Wellers Sharrod Wellington.

I can update this each week on the progress of each injury.

You might have your work cut out. I can't find any 'official' injury list in any of the usual sources. Maybe it'll start after the end of Round 1.

Anyone else see afl insider last night, spoke a bit about NN and some interesting stats..? Just mentioned this in freo thread and realized I should e talking about it in here..

Care to enlighten us?

Ok so it's a david king analysis so take what you will from it, but I guess the stats don't lie..

Centre bounces
NN taking centre bounces we are + 11
Compared to cox who is at -35 for the season (weird stat I know but yeah)

Hot outs to advantage NN - 88,
Coxy - 40 (per game)
He went on to say that because we were third last year from scoring from stoppages, that we will struggle without NN because his hit outs to advantage and clearance work enables us to score so well out of a stoppage.. Cox of coarse isn't quite as damaging in this instance.

A telling statistic IMO is that NN averages 14 chains of possession a game (either starts with a tap, or causes a turn over), on average 3 of those initiations of possession are goals per game..
To compare cotchin and dangerfield both average 2.5 per game..
So it's important..

Last year he had less than 14 chains eight times, WC lost 6 of those..
I noticed this last year, we struggle when nick is not there..
Don't get me wrong, I think we are every chance without nick..
But this is why we value his presence rather than just focusing on how many possessions he gets..

Thoughts?

Funny that when he was fit and making All Australian teams, he was shit and overrated. Now he's injured, he's the best player on our team and we can't win without him.

Interesting stats though. I'm watching it now, and again King is framing it as if he will be out for half a season. Two games at the most he'll miss.

Id say it's got more to do with how we set up with Naitanui playing. Without him playing our midfielder must go into the game with a more defensive mindset around stoppages.

He has so much x factor tho, I Don't think anyone would disagree the other boys feed of that.. I agree a defensive mindset could work with coxy rucking for most I the game..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back