List Mgmt. 2013 LIST MANAGEMENT thread - Finalised

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite Fitzy's decent year, I reckon he might only ever get to the Steph Martin level.

Confusing statement. Stefan Martin's best return in a season was 10 goals in 21 games. Jack kicked 15 goals this year in 11 games. If you're referring to Martin's peak ruckwork, it was that spell in 2011 that he was absolutely sensational as first choice. If Fitzy's ruckwork ever reaches that level, he's done very well.

I wouldn't say completely different. Their strengths are around the ground, Fitzy seems a bit more dangerous up forward, and yeah Martin was ok in the Centre. Martin was that project playing that was ultimately a bit underwhelming. If Fitzy's goes past that I'll be impressed.

Spencer still has a way to go, Jolly would be streaks better to have in 2014, that's my point.

I think it would be an interesting circle that we got rid of jolly to keep white an jamar an then 10 years on he returns to take jamar on again

Confusing statement. Stefan Martin's best return in a season was 10 goals in 21 games. Jack kicked 15 goals this year in 11 games. If you're referring to Martin's peak ruckwork, it was that spell in 2011 that he was absolutely sensational as first choice. If Fitzy's ruckwork ever reaches that level, he's done very well.
Yeah, so one is ok in the ruck and has serious weaknesses elsewhere and the other can kick a goal up forward but struggles in the ruck. On the whole Martin is not a fantastic footballer, I'll be impressed if Fitzy's can go past him.

At an absolute maximum, I'll only be satisfied if Jolly comes in the exact same role as Hudson at Collingwood - Rookie/ruck coach. There is no way he should be taking a senior list position.

He is cooked by the look of things & he shouldn't be playing for us ahead of Jamar, Gawn, Spencer or Fitzy!

It's not like we will be contending for a flag like the pies expected to be doing this year & as such we should be putting time into blokes that will be here for more than one year.

At an absolute maximum, I'll only be satisfied if Jolly comes in the exact same role as Hudson at Collingwood - Rookie/ruck coach. There is no way he should be taking a senior list position.

He is cooked by the look of things & he shouldn't be playing for us ahead of Jamar, Gawn, Spencer or Fitzy!

It's not like we will be contending for a flag like the pies expected to be doing this year & as such we should be putting time into blokes that will be here for more than one year.

Agree on putting time into the young guys, but at the same time it won't hurt to give our young mids a crack at first use of the footy - and also another mentor for the young rucks. Jamar really should be I the leadership group so the fact he isn't makes me think Jolly could be beneficial.

I presume he's a free agent? So we wouldn't be sacrificing much to get him involved.

I think you've been going to the wrong board.
hehehe you think?

I could swear I've been fairly vocal about NOT recruiting ruckmen to those that have been mentioning it for the past month or so fairly consistently.

If you haven't seen the posts, I suggest you don't go looking for them - they'll probably get you all annoyed and frustrated like they got me due to the sheer stupidity of talking about recruiting ruckmen when we have 5 already and our gleaming weakness is the Midfield.

Sometimes logic goes right out the window!

I don't want Jolly in any capacity other than ruck coach. He is much the same player as Jamar - was better in his day but his body would have to be pretty cooked.

Jamar still has a role to play for us... No way he will play a full season because his body won't hold up to that, but he will play 10-15 games ideally.

Apart from that, surely Spencer is ready to be first ruck. He has the size, he's a pretty good tap ruckman and he's learning with every game. He knows his limitations and his disposal is better than it used to be (not difficult tbh). Importantly his one percenters are excellent.

Gawn is still just promising IMO, his ruck work is not yet up to scratch but will improve as he puts on more size.

Fitzy is a handy backup ruck, more of a tall forward IMO. Hard to say though.

Just wondering if Craig has been held to account for recommending James Sellar to Neeld. The guy never looked up to AFL standard yet Neeld persisted with him for far too long. Absolute list clogger. 23 wasted games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering if Craig has been held to account for recommending James Sellar to Neeld. The guy never looked up to AFL standard yet Neeld persisted with him for far too long. Absolute list clogger. 23 wasted games.
Have to disagree, he did good things for us at full back when he had the chance.

If you read I clarified by saying getting mids are a first priority, that's obvious, but if we can get Jolly for a last round pick/ rookie spot I think he could help our ruck stocks.

This is my last comment on it, because it is a waste of time. But he is not worth a spot on the senior list and we won't get him as a rookie.

What are the mids we are still in the hunt for now?

Have to disagree, he did good things for us at full back when he had the chance.

Was the defensive cog that won us the game against Essendon in 2012. Watts got the applause while Sellar did the dirty stuff.

Unfortunately James was thrown all over the ground, the only place he played well was down back.

If we never got Pedersen, i'd be happy having Sellar for another year.

Roos had a history at Sydney of making his mids & especially younger mids learn the caper of tagging the oppositions better midfielders, (eg. Kirk, Boulton, McVeigh, Jack, Dempster Hanneberry etc) in order for them to learn that critical two way running and positions they needed to be in to find he football consistently.

Who from our current playing list do you see playing these possible roles next year?

Despite his slight build, perhaps Toumpas could benefit from this type of role as he averaged 2.5 tackles a game, with a season high 7 vs Geelong. Jimmy also had four very poor games where he had 6 or less possessions, but if you take them away he averaged about 15.5 possessions per game, which is only 2 possessions per game behind what Viney averaged.

Another young bloke who may benefit from this role is Dean Kent, as he was a genuine midfielder as a kid, but he would need to lose some puppy fat and build his tank first.

Roos had a history at Sydney of making his mids & especially younger mids learn the caper of tagging the oppositions better midfielders, (eg. Kirk, Boulton, McVeigh, Jack, Dempster Hanneberry etc) in order for them to learn that critical two way running and positions they needed to be in to find he football consistently.

Who from our current playing list do you see playing these possible roles next year?

Despite his slight build, perhaps Toumpas could benefit from this type of role as he averaged 2.5 tackles a game, with a season high 7 vs Geelong. Jimmy also had four very poor games where he had 6 or less possessions, but if you take them away he averaged about 15.5 possessions per game, which is only 2 possessions per game behind what Viney averaged.

Another young bloke who may benefit from this role is Dean Kent, as he was a genuine midfielder as a kid, but he would need to lose some puppy fat and build his tank first.
I reckon this role would be perfect for Tappy at the moment. Obviously need to get the match-up right with leg speed, but could see him really develop as a mid with this strategy. Plus it'd be worth every penny watching him destroy opposition mids at stoppages.

I reckon this role would be perfect for Tappy at the moment. Obviously need to get the match-up right with leg speed, but could see him really develop as a mid with this strategy. Plus it'd be worth every penny watching him destroy opposition mids at stoppages.

Tapscott couldn't run with an elite midfielder for more than about8 metres!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back