NFL 2013 NFL - Off-Season & Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll admit he was horrible in Divisional game...our WHOLE secondary choked that game and Our short run game to, but of course the fall goes to Peyton. Reg season he is still our best DB, and I think it should be our number one priority in the draft.

there's plenty to choose from like Poyer, Taylor, Banks, Eric Reid, Mathieu etc and I wouldnt be opposed to drafting two of them with out early picks
At least some of the blame falls to the pass rush who couldn't generate any pressure on Flacco.

It isn't great before Champ Bailey too...

It seems people choose not to see how far he's falling as a player, and has been in decline for about 3 years now. He got beat so many times in the Baltimore game, and yet noone points the finger at him.
Harris says hi, had a great year.

He was one of the better AFC CBs in the regular season is why...

Had a shit game vs Balty though. The entire secondary did, and this went hand in hand with Von being relatively shut down. The rest of the line didn't get any push after that.

Yeah, but its comparable to the AFC QB situation, a couple of good ones, but there's too many question marks over the rest...

BAILEY= DONE.

It's not just the Baltimore game, dude's not able to cover 1on1 anymore.

I remember watching Jennings beat him in OT the other year, and Jennings ain't a burner, he was embarassed, but that was just the start of it. Steady decline ever since.

Harris says hi, had a great year.

Seeing as though you seem to know him, can I get you to say 'hi' back??

Also, can you tell him that playing behind an awesome pass rush makes everyone in the secondary look better than they are, and that the Baltimore game is a prime example of this also!

Cheers man, thanks for passing it on.

So you can't be a good CB if you play behind a good pass rush? Even with no pass rush against ravens Harris was fine. Plus he is still improving.
I think the CB need is being overstated in Denver, I can't see them viewing it as in the top couple of needs.
Porter will get released
Carter resigned who played solidly
Bolden will get more snaps and be further away from his knee injury, before it he we touted as a high second round talent.

Hope no one is looking forward to free agency...

Redskins officials have told people in the league that they are considering going to court to seek an injunction that would hold up the start of free agency or threatening that move in a bid to bolster their negotiating leverage with the league. Those conversations were confirmed by two people with knowledge of them.
Both said that the Redskins have compelling arguments they could make in an attempt to convince a judge that they would suffer irreparable harm if they are not granted an injunction.

A move like that by the Redskins would only hold up official free agent signings. The players due roster bonuses in early March that are going to be released will still be released and players would still be free to negotiate with their new teams. I would expect twitter to become the tool used to announce the players intentions, (ie Looks like I'm playing for the "insert team" this season..) instead of official team announcements.

Colts are gonna go after Louis Vasquez from the chargers lets hope they let him get away we could do with an upgrade at guard

San Diego has the worst line in the league, vaquez is the ONLY shining light, pretty sure we will pay him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lookin’ Good, Desmond Bryant

Raiders defensive tackle Desmond Bryant was arrested on Sunday in Miami on a misdemeanor charge of criminal mischief for allegedly going to a neighbor’s house drunk and causing a disturbance. While being booked, Bryant made this face during his mug shot. Truly no one has made a “drunken criminal mischief” face better. Cheers to you and achievement unlocked, sir.

Bryant, by the way, went to Harvard. Just something to keep in mind when the media goes out of its way to talk up the intelligence of a player from the Ivies.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Patriots are expected to “entertain offers” for Ryan Mallett on the heels of Tom Brady’s contract extension.
The Pats have Brady (cheaply) locked in for the next five seasons, and Mallett’s rookie deal runs out in 2015. “I think it means he’s gonna be traded,” Rapoport said of Mallett. The Browns seem likely to at least explore the possibility of a trade, and might be the team Bill Belichick calls first. We suspect Mallett would be available for a second-rounder. Cleveland does not have a second-rounder in April’s draft, but could either put together a package of 2013 picks or offer a second-round selection from a future draft.

How the **** has Mallett's value gone up despite him doing next to nothing on the field since being drafted?
To be fair, he only slipped to the 3rd due to maturity, or lack there of. He had the talent to be a 1st round pick.
He's kept out of trouble for 2 years, so you'd think his value would be higher now. He still has the same tools (maybe better) but he's not a cancer off the field like people thought he might've been when drafted.

On pure talent he was the #2 QB in that draft. Better than Ponder (12), better than Dalton (35), better than Kaepernick (36). Even better than Locker (8). If he didn't have the character issues. I think the Vikings would've snapped him up at 12. (Titans had an undeserved man crush on Locker, so he wasn't going at 8 despite it being where he should've gone)

To be fair, he only slipped to the 3rd due to maturity, or lack there of. He had the talent to be a 1st round pick.
He's kept out of trouble for 2 years, so you'd think his value would be higher now. He still has the same tools (maybe better) but he's not a cancer off the field like people thought he might've been when drafted.

On pure talent he was the #2 QB in that draft. Better than Ponder (12), better than Dalton (35), better than Kaepernick (36). Even better than Locker (8). If he didn't have the character issues. I think the Vikings would've snapped him up at 12. (Titans had an undeserved man crush on Locker, so he wasn't going at 8 despite it being where he should've gone)

That and he ran the slowest 40 of all time, IIRC it was well over 5 seconds.

For those who haven't been keeping abreast of this issue, or who just haven't cared, this may not mean a lot to you.

But for those who have (@GG has, for example) this could be massive.

===============================

With the news that the Redskins are talking about taking the NFL to court over their salary cap penalty, the issue has returned to the front burner. And a video shot last September has emerged and it shows Goodell talking to a group of fans about the Redskins salary cap penalty.

In the video, Goodell appears to say that both the teams in the league and the National Football League Players Association were told before the uncapped year that there could be sanctions against teams that spent in such a way as to create “competitive issues”. Here is what he said early in the video:

“When we went into the uncapped year we told everybody including the union that we were going to make sure that competitive issues were going to be considered when we came out of it.”

And, towards the end of the video, he seems reiterate that the union signed off on the concept of punishment for competitive balance issues in advance of the uncapped year.

“Those are the kinds of things that need to be balanced in and the players association and us agreed to that. That’s what we agreed to and every club was told that in advance and the players association was told that that would be an issue when we negotiated.”

When asked for a response, NFLPA Assistant Executive Director of External Affairs George Atallah said in an email that he thought that Goodell must have gotten his words mixed up because the union was not told about possible penalties for spending prior to the 2010 uncapped year.

"I'm sure Roger didn't mean to say that we agreed to collusion, because we didn't,” Atallah said via email. “I'm also sure he didn't mean to say that we agreed to penalize teams for their failure to participate in collusion in advance of the uncapped year, because we didn't.”

So the NFLPA is extending Goodell the benefit of the doubt on these comments because there is simply no way that the commissioner could have thought that the union agreed to collusion before the uncapped year.

An NFL spokesman declined to comment, saying that the case is closed.

That and he ran the slowest 40 of all time, IIRC it was well over 5 seconds.

Yep, Mallett's concrete feet did not help him one iota.

BB has a habit of talking up players on his team and then the other franchises simply wait till they are released. Mallett's predecessor as backup quarterback, Brian Hoer, was talked up by BB as worth a second round pick if a team wanted to trade for him. But BB landed no fish and Hoer was quietly released.

According to SI, quoting a report in the St Louis Times-Dispatch, S-Jax will void the last year of his contract with the Rams. It will be interesting to see which teams take the plunge on him, given the wear on his treads.

Maybe the Redskins should just place an injunction against their owner if they want to avoid "irrepairable damage"?

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2013 NFL - Off-Season & Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back