NFL 2013 NFL - Off-Season & Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dennard was convicted this morning and faces 5 years jail.
We knew the risk when we drafted him, and arguably one year of his play was worth a seventh. The facts seemed pretty suspicious, the non-police witnesses statements conflicted with theirs and the camera didn't show any punch.

Apparently the DA isn't going to be asking for a prison sentence

Lancaster County Attorney Joe Kelly said his office would not recommend a sentence but that typical sentences for a crime like this would range from probation to 180 days in jail. The sentencing hearing is set for April 11.

To be fair Revis started it. But yes he does seem to engage himself in these things far too often.
While Revis did start this one, it's just becoming too much of a common occurrence. I just want to go a week where I don't have to read or hear something about what Sherman said.

Think that just means they won't be recommending any particular sentence (either prison or community service/probation), but leave it to the judge to decide. Judge could still give jail and the NFL will surely suspend him.
The NFL set a precedent when Kenrick Ellis wasn't suspended for his misdemeanour assault and battery charge in 2012.

Didn't want to start a thread but can someone explain to me the "franchise" tag in regard to the salary cap
The franchise tag is like the top 10 average salary for that position. Its a one year deal which goes entirely against the cap. A team tho has a few months after applying the tag to work out a long term deal with that player which would end up more cap friendly having money pro rated thru the contract years.

Any
Didn't want to start a thread but can someone explain to me the "franchise" tag in regard to the salary cap

The franchise tag lasts for only one season and therefore the entire value of the tag is applied to that teams salary cap for that year. There are various types of franchise tags exclusive, non-exclusive and transition each with a different value.

To be fair Revis started it. But yes he does seem to engage himself in these things far too often.

Revis was responding to Sherman running around NOLA during superbowl week asking people if he was better than Revis.

Revis was responding to Sherman running around NOLA during superbowl week asking people if he was better than Revis.

No, he was prompted to attack (or what have you) Sherman because the latter didn't put the former in his top 5 CBs in the NFL (which he qualified was due to uncertainty after injury). I think a few other media commentators made mention that Revis could have lost a step and might not be able to play at the same level, the cumulative frustration was let out at Sherman. The (kind of) funny thing is that during the Twitter 'war' you know Derrelle is frowning and getting agitated while Richard was laughing his ass off.

The Bleacher report video happened before the SuperBowl - if that had annoyed Revis he would have responded earlier (most people said him anyways). The skit was just a bit of fun, Sherman is pretty good with fans, was a good video in my opinion.

Ill be interested in the draft philosophy of san diego.

I know we badly need OT (O line in any case) so pick 11 could provide that, but if Joekel, fisher and warmack are all gone by 11, i thnk the team has some options.

The A grade option is either of Fisher or Warmack are there at 11 (no hope joekel not even worth writing)

2nd tier options if the stud O line guys are gone.

1- trade down to the 17-18 range and draft Lane Johnson or Johnathon Cooper to beef up the O line while adding hopefully another 2nd rounder.

2- Trade down to 15-16 range and take the BPA - If Jarvis Jones is still there I would really look at him, i think he will be a beast of a player, and although the team has other needs, i dont see a problem to add to a position of strenght, adding Jones to Ingram, Reyes, Liueget and Thomas in the front 7 gives the look of a very good YOUNG defensive front. Then with the extra picks in the mid rounds look for O line and corner help in the early 2nd round (DJ Fluker from bama, Thomas from Tenneseee)

3- Stand pat at 11 and take the best lineman available - Johnson or Cooper

4- Stand pat at 11 and take the best player available - Could be Jarvis Jones or Dee Milliner

No, he was prompted to attack (or what have you) Sherman because the latter didn't put the former in his top 5 CBs in the NFL (which he qualified was due to uncertainty after injury). I think a few other media commentators made mention that Revis could have lost a step and might not be able to play at the same level, the cumulative frustration was let out at Sherman. The (kind of) funny thing is that during the Twitter 'war' you know Derrelle is frowning and getting agitated while Richard was laughing his arse off.

The Bleacher report video happened before the SuperBowl - if that had annoyed Revis he would have responded earlier (most people said him anyways). The skit was just a bit of fun, Sherman is pretty good with fans, was a good video in my opinion.
OK, well how do you explain the first tweet from Revis which said

I never seen a man before run his mouth so much like girl. This dude just steady putting my name in his mouth to get notoriety @rsherman_2

Why would he mention that Sherman had used had been using his name to gain notoriety if he was in fact annoyed about him not mentioning his name at all in his best CB list. It probably was a culmination of things (including Sherman tweeting Revis' stats in January). I would say the tipping point was Sherman running his mouth on NFL AM or whatever he was on where he criticised anyone and everyone.

So to be actually fair; Sherman started it.

Ill be interested in the draft philosophy of san diego.

I know we badly need OT (O line in any case) so pick 11 could provide that, but if Joekel, fisher and warmack are all gone by 11, i thnk the team has some options.

The A grade option is either of Fisher or Warmack are there at 11 (no hope joekel not even worth writing)

2nd tier options if the stud O line guys are gone.

1- trade down to the 17-18 range and draft Lane Johnson or Johnathon Cooper to beef up the O line while adding hopefully another 2nd rounder.

2- Trade down to 15-16 range and take the BPA - If Jarvis Jones is still there I would really look at him, i think he will be a beast of a player, and although the team has other needs, i dont see a problem to add to a position of strenght, adding Jones to Ingram, Reyes, Liueget and Thomas in the front 7 gives the look of a very good YOUNG defensive front. Then with the extra picks in the mid rounds look for O line and corner help in the early 2nd round (DJ Fluker from bama, Thomas from Tenneseee)

3- Stand pat at 11 and take the best lineman available - Johnson or Cooper

4- Stand pat at 11 and take the best player available - Could be Jarvis Jones or Dee Milliner

Doubt Milliner and JJ will be there at 11, even with Milliner's surgery.

Arizona need a T so they will probably be as far as Fisher gets.

Warmack is a chance to be there.

If you can find someone who wants to move up that would probably be the best result. picking around 20 you're likely to still see at least one of Johnson and Cooper. Not sure that you would get another second rounder for it though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never seen a man before run his mouth so much like girl. This dude just steady putting my name in his mouth to get notoriety @rsherman_2

Why would he mention that Sherman had used had been using his name to gain notoriety if he was in fact annoyed about him not mentioning his name at all in his best CB list. It probably was a culmination of things (including Sherman tweeting Revis' stats in January). I would say the tipping point was Sherman running his mouth on NFL AM or whatever he was on where he criticised anyone and everyone.

So to be TOTALLY fair, Revis is an arrogant douchebad as much as Sherman is. And NOT putting him in the top 5 list would account for the 'notoriety' comment.

Revis is a selfish wank who'll hold out on his team at every possible opportunity for an extra buck.

So to be TOTALLY fair, Revis is an arrogant douchebad as much as Sherman is. And NOT putting him in the top 5 list would account for the 'notoriety' comment.

Revis is a selfish wank who'll hold out on his team at every possible opportunity for an extra buck.
No argument about him being a douche. The omission probably pissed him off big time, but Sherman has been trying to get a rise out of the guy for months.

I do not believe Sherman went to the Bleacher report to ask if he could do the interviews around NOLA, I do however, believe that he was more than happy to do so.

It is possible (probably even) that it was a contributing factor but I don't think in isolation that fun and light hearted night provoked Revis to tweet, otherwise why would he wait a month? The use of 'steady' to me feels like it has been a build up. If Sherman is directly asked about Revis and/or best CBs of course there is going to be some discussion. Richard wants to be the best, Derrelle has been seen as/is the best, I don't see the problem in being competitive.

I think Revis is frustrated and is uncertain about things at the moment and is listening to the noise too much. He tweeted first.

Richard doesn't go out of his way to bother people.

If someone says something 'disrespectful' he will always respond.

His problem is; he takes things to heart (so does Revis evidently), feels the need to respond/argue (he does this far too much), doesn't like to lose (no bad thing) and is incredibly proud/arrogant.

I would prefer if he talked less BUT I'm not overly fussed if he keeps playing at All Pro level.

Revis and Sherman going at each other on Twitter
I wish he didn't. He definitely has the skills now all he needs is the respect. It's good to have confidence but not as much as he has.

Revis is my favourite non Denver player so I'd have him but Sherman's stats for 1 season were almost freakish. Thank goodness he's in the NFC

Sherman's issue is that QBs started avoiding to Revis' side of the field (save for the Bills and Stevie Johnson :( ) during Revis' rookie season and haven't tried to take him on since. QBs still throw at WRs covered by Sherman which gives Sherman the opportunity to record picks. It's hard, even for someone as talented as Revis, to pick off a QB if he's throwing in the other direction.

Sherman is a great DB, but he's not yet on Revis' level.

I'd still take Revis over Sherman. Rex tailors his defence around Revis' ability to patrol half the secondary on his own, and when Revis went down with his ACL early in the season, Rex needed to start over again. A lot of people point to the fact that the Jets' pass defence wasn't too bad last season, but I'd contend that the Jets never blew teams away (perhaps the Colts) and therefore when opponents were never forced to throw the ball against the Jets to catch up.

I'd trade Cromartie over Revis, but unfortunately Cro is under contract for a while but Revis is a free agent at the end of this coming season, so I suspect we'll keep the lesser player and trade the best player the Jets has probably ever had.

Blasphemy!
Jet fans everywhere are getting their pitchforks ready for sayong someone is a better Jet than Joe Namath.

Nobody could party like Broadway Joe and still play clutch football on Sundays, but if Revis returns to pre-ACL injury level, he's a lock for the HoF and could well be the best damned CB the game has ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2013 NFL - Off-Season & Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back