NFL 2013 NFL - Off-Season & Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Evan Silva‏@evansilva
Draft insider @TonyPauline calls #Texas WR Marquise Goodwin the “favorite” to run the fastest 40 at the Combine
Funny thing is he could really be a Raider Draft pick.. Mayock said Raiders liked him at Senior bowl. Coached by DA .. Reggie saw him 1st hand.

At this moment I see it as…
#1 Chiefs: Luke Joekel + #33 Nick Foles
#2 Jaguars: Geno Smith
#3 Raiders: Star Lotulelei (if we can trade Palmer or package for a 2nd) otherwise we’ll trade down to collect a second.

-------

A lot of what GMs, coaches, scouts, and other front office people say now about draft prospects is a mix of truth and disinfo. I basically look at it like everything they say means opposite.

Reid/McKenzie talking up Geno = they want someone else to draft him.
Jaguars keeping mum on Geno = they want to draft him.
People saying Warmack is too small etc = they want him to fall so they can trade down and draft him.

What matters more imo is when teams get players in on team visits. Assessing them and getting to know them better.

To re-iterate…whomever a team is keeping especially mum about is who they’re eying imo.

Word getting out Raiders like Floyd at #3, is to make everyone think they’re not liking Lotulelei (a direct DT rival at the top of the draft), so no team above us drafts him or a team trades up for him.

The fired Scott Pioli coming out to say he would draft Joekel/Warmack with the #1 pick if he were still Chiefs GM is an attempt to derail Reid (imo).

Jaguars declaring Gabbert their starter or they’ll persevere with him AND keeping mum on Geno, not saying anything about him, means they want him. Pit them against each other in training camp.

Lions HC SChwartz in love with Ziggy Ansah
says senior bowl went a long way to answering questions. He can be great

I see that as a good fit.

Ansah coming off the end with the big DT's occupying the double's allows ansaha one on one to zip past line men. His athletic attributes really suit that.

The detroit get one of the corners like xavier rhodes in the 2nd round.

I said it ages ago on a Raiders blog, that Reggie would have eyes on Tyler Bray (vols connection). Apparently Bray has been interviewed or worked out by the Raiders.

Don’t see Geno as a Raider when he has a good prospect in Pryor and a good vet in Palmer. Reggie needs to shore up the defense more than anything else. Expect Reggie to focus on D and OL overall, and add Tyler Bray at some point in the draft as a QB project.

Just don’t see Reggie investing the #3 on Geno when he has a boatload of changes to make on the D to get that top 5-10. So many pressing issues and areas of need on D more than anything else.

NT, UT, RDE, LDE, CB, CB, ILBx2, OLBx1, SS, FS.

So many out of whack contracts there, so many aging players, so many back-up quality starters.

The offense isn’t in drastic need of overhaul. The hiring of Olsen, return to pbs and vertical, is a tip that he thinks the O can perform a lot better (2011-like) without having to invest draft picks into it.

But the D is in great need of overhauling. Also think of Allen saying only 40% of his scheme was able to be utilized last year due to lack of talent to make the most of that scheme.

Dan Kadar‏@MockingTheDraft
Tyler Bray said he just met with the Oakland Raiders.
California native as well?

I like Bray and I'd take him as the third -fifth best QB this draft, I think he can start

I dont think he can start right away. He's a 2-3 year project. He's way too erratic.
Oh yeah, not straight away I meant in time. I see Smith, Barkley, Bray and Glennon as the qbs who will eventually regularly start for a team, but as we know that's not certain and a Russ Wilson might come up. The QB draft is going to get interesting next few years, with Mariota, Manziell and Murray etc. eligible. If you're a QB needy team this year I'd draft the best available/best defensive player and hold out one more year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bray is a tool.

Has major work ethic problems and not a great attitude.
That's the SEC for ya.
They think they're gods gift to football, go and try and prove it in the "best conference in the land" and all they care about is playing, drinking and having sex.

That's the SEC for ya.
They think they're gods gift to football, go and try and prove it in the "best conference in the land" and all they care about is playing, drinking and having sex.
Living the dream!

^ I'd want Mathieu at Denver, our secondary isn't great after Champ Bailey. I'd draft him with a late fourth (basically 5th) onward or one of the picks we got in the Tebow trade

^ I'd want Mathieu at Denver, our secondary isn't great after Champ Bailey. I'd draft him with a late fourth (basically 5th) onward or one of the picks we got in the Tebow trade

Jets apparently spoke to Mathieu at the Senior Bowl, so you might have some competition, especially if Revis is traded.

Jets apparently spoke to Mathieu at the Senior Bowl, so you might have some competition, especially if Revis is traded.
Revis or Mathieu, I'm not fussy :D

I really hope Denver sign a big name player to our secondary, or maybe someone like Jordan Poyer or Jamar Taylor, unless Johnathan Banks slips to late first round

It isn't great before Champ Bailey too...

It seems people choose not to see how far he's falling as a player, and has been in decline for about 3 years now. He got beat so many times in the Baltimore game, and yet noone points the finger at him.

It seems people choose not to see how far he's falling as a player, and has been in decline for about 3 years now. He got beat so many times in the Baltimore game, and yet noone points the finger at him.
He was one of the better AFC CBs in the regular season is why...

Had a shit game vs Balty though. The entire secondary did, and this went hand in hand with Von being relatively shut down. The rest of the line didn't get any push after that.

I'll admit he was horrible in Divisional game...our WHOLE secondary choked that game and Our short run game to, but of course the fall goes to Peyton. Reg season he is still our best DB, and I think it should be our number one priority in the draft.

there's plenty to choose from like Poyer, Taylor, Banks, Eric Reid, Mathieu etc and I wouldnt be opposed to drafting two of them with out early picks

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2013 NFL - Off-Season & Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back