Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Simpson would be hopeful of a 2nd half of the season as a sub after he has built his tank.

Really hoping Clarke can get the hang of his forward line leading to position and clunking more marks....

Sounds like a lot of excitement about Taberner are we sure that he can keep his diabetes under control, are we worried about his degenerative knee problem etc. Maybe we should switch names with Symonds/Sinclair for the rest of the pre season.

Is Taberner diabetic? If he is a good, compliant diabetic, it wouldn't be an issue, I don't think. If he has been playing footy most of his teenage life with no incident, he would already know what to do with his medications to be able play safely even if diabetes. There are heaps of successful athletes at the elite level who have medical issues.

Is Taberner diabetic? If he is a good, compliant diabetic, it wouldn't be an issue, I don't think. If he has been playing footy most of his teenage life with no incident, he would already know what to do with his medications to be able play safely even if diabetes. There are heaps of successful athletes at the elite level who have medical issues.

Yes but it is still a huge risk I would steer clear if I was running a club, if he has diabetes.

Geez guys it was just a crack at keeping him hidden, as far as I know he doesn't have anything wrong with him and sounds really promising. Surely we don't need emoticons for everything we post I said etc :D .

Yes but it is still a huge risk I would steer clear if I was running a club, if he has diabetes.

There have been AFL players who have managed their Diabetes successfully, see this article:

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldog-has-diabetes-but-is-ok-to-play-on-20100123-mrrx.html

Any player drafted is a bit of a gamble. However, if the kid looks the goods, has a good attitude towards his footy and a healthy respect for his disease, I think it would still be worth a punt. I think it makes a difference that we know he has been playing and paying effectively despite his diabetes; as opposed to someone being newly diagnosed and needing to adjust to it after being used to playing without it. The fact that he has played footy at a high level even with diabetes should be a credit to him.

I'd rather punt on someone like him even with the diabetes than someone whose baseline skill set is much lower; I reckon it would still give us a better chance of gaining a good return on investment.

Yeah that Taberner, pretty sure I saw him out in Northridge, I hope it was insulin he was injecting, in between shots and ciggies, apparently he'd just been suspended from his high school, bit of a risky prospect that Taberner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi, I'm a first time contributor. I was also at training today and met three Big Footy posters, i think one was Seppo. Anyway, here is my take on training today.
Duffy and Moller were others not training
They were doing alot of sprint work.
Suban is definitely much quicker and fitter than he has been.
Tanner Smith is a terrific runner already. i think we have picked up a gun there.
Josh Simpson is as advertised. Super quick, excellent skills, but needs to build endurance.
Crozier, Faulks, Menegola and Zac Clarke have all added significant muscle.
Lachie Neale looked really quick and has terrific skills.
I agree Taberner looked really impressive. Took some contested marks in game simulation and ran much better than other draft hopefulls.
In match simulation Sandy played at full forward. While Zac Clarke was playing 50metres infront of him.
For what it is worth I also was able to have a very quick chat with some of the support staff as I was returning footballs when they were practicing goal kicking. I asked a couple of them who they thought would step up in 2013. Suban was as a constant answer, as was Z.Clarke and Morabitto. Also, apparently Hilly is fine but they want him to focus on building muscle at the start of the preseason. Griffin is also tracking well, but his training has been mostly in the gym. They are a friendly bunch our support staff.
I'm thinking the same thing, I'v recently watched a few replays of him prior to him braking his leg a few seasons back and I love watching him play, he's always hard at the footy. A fit and injury free Suban will be in the dockers top 5 this season. I have a feeling he was carrying a few injuries last season, he was strapped up heavily on the shoulder and I think one of his knees in the games late last season. Can't wait to see him add to the form he was building to before his injury problems. Looking forward to seeing Mayne this season as well. He is another that I'm expecting to step it up another notch and improve on already fine form.

If anyone is interested we have Pav's media conference from today:

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/152200/default.aspx

And a little bit from Chopper on his pre-season:

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/152159/default.aspx

I also wanna say Adrian Barich is a complete tool.
I wonder if she spent time with Johnno as well and had something to do with getting him back to form after a slump in 2011. The mental aspect of footy is usually a big factor in many peoples playing careers.
I'm thinking Silvagni would be another that is getting help from her for those anger issues he displayed to the rest of the league while playing Adelaide on the big stage. Hopefully she can help him improve that aspect of his game before every forward he plays on takes advantage of a weakness and gets under his skin. Not having a go at Silvagni just saying he may be one of the players that could really benifit from it as well. Way to go Shrink.

I'm thinking the same thing, I'v recently watched a few replays of him prior to him braking his leg a few seasons back and I love watching him play, he's always hard at the footy. A fit and injury free Suban will be in the dockers top 5 this season. I have a feeling he was carrying a few injuries last season, he was strapped up heavily on the shoulder and I think one of his knees in the games late last season. Can't wait to see him add to the form he was building to before his injury problems. Looking forward to seeing Mayne this season as well. He is another that I'm expecting to step it up another notch and improve on already fine form.

I just watched some replays of 2012 season and Suban was really good. Things i missed when i watched them the first, second and twenty third times(Geelong final :D) his blocking off the ball, handballs and kicking were just all class. In the North Melbourne game when he got subbed on in the last he had a direct link with 5 goals and he kicked 2 goals and 2 behinds himself. He turned that game on it's head. A fit Suban, playing 4 qtrs will be a very damaging prospect for us.

It's interesting because we essentially have a few players coming back from injury riddled seasons so our ceiling as a team can only go higher. I know we have lost a few class players but still can't see how we won't improve on the 2012 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back