Rumour 2013 Trade and Free Agent Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Was kinda hoping it was someone who knew something. We would have had Gumby and JPod and Ellis would be in perfect health and making Freo's midfield the best in the comp.

Regardless of the persona of the poster Bond himself has admitted to being into all three of them. Personally I'm baffled. Sylvia is value, J-pod may fill a need and Gumby could be a short/medium term gain subject to form and fitness. Risky, but understandable. But Ellis has me totally stumped.

What am I missing? I've read some of the stack and trade theories but can't believe we'd recruit someone made of balsa so that we could then trade a best 22 player for a better draft pick.

Regardless of the persona of the poster Bond himself has admitted to being into all three of them. Personally I'm baffled. Sylvia is value, J-pod may fill a need and Gumby could be a short/medium term gain subject to form and fitness. Risky, but understandable. But Ellis has me totally stumped.

What am I missing? I've read some of the stack and trade theories but can't believe we'd recruit someone made of balsa so that we could then trade a best 22 player for a better draft pick.

Maybe they just don't rate this years draft. Have read and heard that the talent seems to drops away pretty quickly after about 30 so filling our roster with known quantities is a safer bet than young kids that will be in the system for a year or two then delisted, especially when we are topping up for another premiership tilt.

Maybe they just don't rate this years draft. Have read and heard that the talent seems to drops away pretty quickly after about 30 so filling our roster with known quantities is a safer bet than young kids that will be in the system for a year or two then delisted, especially when we are topping up for another premiership tilt.

Probably no shit in that story. The expansion teams have pulled a lot of the best players that would normally be in this years draft into the system early with underage selections.

Probably no shit in that story. The expansion teams have pulled a lot of the best players that would normally be in this years draft into the system early with underage selections.

Yeah that's a fair point. Maybe it's just me, but I'd still prefer to draft a potential Clayton Collard or Joel Houghton than pick up X Ellis. The draftee may be a bust, or could be the next Sutcliffe. I think we know what Ellis brings to the table.

Wasn't that only the 3 or 4 pre-draft selections (i.e Martin, Hogan, maybe a couple more) that will compromise the next draft?

I stated Freo's interest in Pods, Gumby and that White wasn't interested in Fremantle before it was revealed or confirmed in the papers and on the AFL website. Read into that what you like with regards to Ellis.

The fact is there is no standout KPF that is available and wont cost the earth. The club has lots of dollars but noone to spend it on bringing to the club.

I'm not T-Wolf either although I am related to him.

Have to remember there'll be quite a few activated compo picks, by the time we get to our third ND pick it'll be about 60 in a draft that the recruiters say thins out after 40ish.

And don't we have six senior list slots to fill if Mello & Michie both go? Sylvia & Tabs take two, then use our first two in the ND. Then will need to grab 2 more from Pods/Gumby/Ellis/Someone? & our third/fourth rounder. Don't see the need for Ellis, but we may be looking a player like him or using a very late pick on someone that may be more suited to the rookie list.

Edit : Actually just remembered that Essendon and Adelaide lose their first and second round picks which probably cancel our some compo picks.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stated Freo's interest in Pods, Gumby and that White wasn't interested in Fremantle before it was revealed or confirmed in the papers and on the AFL website. Read into that what you like with regards to Ellis.

The fact is there is no standout KPF that is available and wont cost the earth. The club has lots of dollars but noone to spend it on bringing to the club.

I'm not T-Wolf either although I am related to him.

I never questioned your line of posting, I questioned Ellis. I don't care who lurks behind the username. You're confident in your info, so have you any thoughts/knowledge on why we go for Ellis?

This is a midfielders draft. Next year is a bigs.

We might well take more tweeners and mids this year.

When you think of it grab Gumby / Pods - buys you 2-3 years, might just work especially if we can free agent a big one day.

I never questioned your line of posting, I questioned Ellis. I don't care who lurks behind the username. You're confident in your info, so have you any thoughts/knowledge on why we go for Ellis?

Yes. I liked your post that is why I quoted it.
Freo's strategy is simple really, get what you can without paying eg Free agency, psd etc.
That's why I would be surprised if Yeo was in purple next year. Having said that if the right player came along then they would make a play.

Username aside I'm not sure why people are bagging me.

I'm just your average 6ft 8" devilishly handsome guy who likes Masters Footy and a $4.90 Becks at the High Wycombe Tavern.

Yes. I liked your post that is why I quoted it.
Freo's strategy is simple really, get what you can without paying eg Free agency, psd etc.
That's why I would be surprised if Yeo was in purple next year. Having said that if the right player came along then they would make a play.

Username aside I'm not sure why people are bagging me.

I'm just your average 6ft 8" devilishly handsome guy who likes Masters Footy and a $4.90 Becks at the High Wycombe Tavern.

$4.90 you say?

I don't think there is such thing as a soft draft. Once the recruits arrive at the club, it's all about how the club develops them. Neale & Sutty are good examples.

The draft is a load of shit anyway.

A kid can kill it at 17 and then have 18 months of hyperbole behind him. Sycophants in the media, coaches, and clubs will come out about how he's "the new Riewoldt" or "a faster Ablett." It's mostly based on hype and bullshit and it's why I don't really care about what selections a club has.

In my opinion, two things matter: a footy brain and good skills. Once you get to 18, 19, you're not going to develop those. They're just predisposed or something you have by 13, not something you work on at a club. What can you bolster is speed, endurance, strength... those things.

I think about Josh Bootsma. Was nothing special as a junior, got to South Fremantle on his old man's surname, played in the WAFL colts' best backline, had some hack journo comparing him to uber-freak and genetic oddball Dustin Fletcher and he was taken 21. The kid had no idea on space, never knew who to go to, was a deer in the headlights, and is now being turfed out of Carlton and shopped around.

Meanwhile, Marley Williams never had a dad who played 30 games of AFL (quite the opposite, actually). He was taken quietly, in the 30s of the rookie draft, and shows some gall and guts – he finished seventh in the Copeland and will be a 150 game player. Look at Paul Seedsman too – pick 80, a literally unhealthy BMI, legs like rakes, and picked up through absolute luck, and he'll be a 150 gamer as well.

The draft is a load of shit.

Michael Barlow will attest to that. Jack Watts won't want to.

Fremantle has some good coaching staff and developmental sectors. Unfashionable, 5'8" Lachie Neale's and perennial sweating Sutcliffe who runs so unorthodox people at training ask "did Kepler lose weight?" are now pencilled in as future Freo 22-ers.

It's all about luck, development, and natural ability – not this wank and hype that comes with most kids.

Damn Hawthorn are masters of trade week

McEvoy is over-rated
Hawthorn are down 5 players that contributed to last year's premiership (Franklin, Guerra, Whitecross, Savage and Bailey). They would have had 2 first round picks but now have 1 (Franklin compo).
St Kilda have done well in the sense they are rebuilding and need young players. Savage is 22 and they are gunning for three picks in Top 20.

The draft is a load of shit anyway.

A kid can kill it at 17 and then have 18 months of hyperbole behind him. Sycophants in the media, coaches, and clubs will come out about how he's "the new Riewoldt" or "a faster Ablett." It's mostly based on hype and bullshit and it's why I don't really care about what selections a club has.

In my opinion, two things matter: a footy brain and good skills. Once you get to 18, 19, you're not going to develop those. They're just predisposed or something you have by 13, not something you work on at a club. What can you bolster is speed, endurance, strength... those things.

I think about Josh Bootsma. Was nothing special as a junior, got to South Fremantle on his old man's surname, played in the WAFL colts' best backline, had some hack journo comparing him to uber-freak and genetic oddball Dustin Fletcher and he was taken 21. The kid had no idea on space, never knew who to go to, was a deer in the headlights, and is now being turfed out of Carlton and shopped around.

Meanwhile, Marley Williams never had a dad who played 30 games of AFL (quite the opposite, actually). He was taken quietly, in the 30s of the rookie draft, and shows some gall and guts – he finished seventh in the Copeland and will be a 150 game player. Look at Paul Seedsman too – pick 80, a literally unhealthy BMI, legs like rakes, and picked up through absolute luck, and he'll be a 150 gamer as well.

The draft is a load of shit.

Michael Barlow will attest to that. Jack Watts won't want to.

With respect, that is a load of horse shit. There is a clear correlation between the position you are taken in a draft and the average number of games you could be expected to play. Picking out players who were picked low as an example of why the draft is rubbish (Barlow, Seedsman in your example) is plain old reasoning by exception and simply ignores the fact that for every success at pick 80 or rookie pick 6 there 10, 20, 30 failures. That is why list managers don't all hand over their high picks to Melbourne because, afterall, it would a waste of time using them since the Silent Alarm orthodoxy clearly dictates that you can build a list with any pick.
And as for your continual, and typically cowardly, attacks on Bootsma who you suggest you played with at the Kanga's, and therefore know personally, I rather fancy that just like every other player who goes on to even get drafted (let alone have a successful career) he was miles better than everyone at junior level and it was you who was the pencil-necked deer in the headlights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2013 Trade and Free Agent Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back