Mega Thread 2013: Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesse White can become serviceable a a forward target or ruck at a club which can give him games every week.

We had a big cleanout last year so there aren't many others.

Under certain circumstances I could see a couple of players at Geelong being traded or ask for a trade. Depending on the side structure by years end Trent West & Mitch Brown are two that may look at options.

How old is West? Obviously hasn't set the world on fire, but a very serviceable ruck option.

Jesse White can become serviceable a a forward target or ruck at a club which can give him games every week.

We had a big cleanout last year so there aren't many others.

What do you think you guys would be looking for in return for White?

Travis Colyer
Tayte Pears

Could bundle them up and send them back west.

Travis Colyer
Tayte Pears

Could bundle them up and send them back west.

Whats up with Colyer? Seemed to show a bit of promise when he came in to the system but 29 games in 3 and a half seasons seems to say otherwise.

What would Essendon expect in return?

Dale Thomas - might leave, which would free up space for a good replacement.
Alan Didak - might want another year somewhere else as he isn't getting a run this year. Probably retire though.
Martin Clarke - not setting the world on fire. Might trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder.
Ben Sinclair - same as Clarke.

Dale Thomas - might leave, which would free up space for a good replacement.
Alan Didak - might want another year somewhere else as he isn't getting a run this year. Probably retire though.
Martin Clarke - not setting the world on fire. Might trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder.
Ben Sinclair - same as Clarke.

I think Dids will more than likely retire at the end of this year and get into the fashion industry or something along those lines.

Totally agree on Marty and Sinkers though. I can see both being traded to a club thats looking for a bit more pace. I'd be keen to see who is interested in these two.

Higgins - Not sure if we might trade him for a pick upgrade, not many clubs would be interested in that.
Veszpremi, Tutt might be floated around , but doubt any club would be interested.
Grant may be as well, maybe a higher club might see him as a serviceable forward ala Josh Hill at West Coast. Reckon in a good forward line like Hawthorn he could do well. They would probably only a third round pick max though.
Markovic is a serviceable tall that can play forward or back, a club might target him for insurance, but nothing more.

How old is West? Obviously hasn't set the world on fire, but a very serviceable ruck option.

What do you think you guys would be looking for in return for White?

Don't think it would be too much, reckon he may request to leave too.

Potentially one of:
Warnock or Hampson.

Aside from that the only other Carlton players that are potentially trade/delistings are:

Duigan, Joseph, Davies, Ellard, Laidler, White, Collins, Dale, and O'keffee.

Out of Contract

I love these 2 players and think should they leave the lions will lose out big time in the future useless we get a great result out of the trade and subsequent draft (if picks are gained)

Polec...#5 draft pick, looks unsettled and disinterested at the lions compared to the young confident and vocal player in the SANFL. Trade Value: pick 10-20

Crows not having a 1st round pick would make a trade for a draft pick seem hard unless Port win quite a few more games and push out of the top 10 picks

Player trades: Andy Otten or Petrenko look the most to be potentially unsettled and still have some quality about them. Or from Port, maybe Andrew moore in a failed 1st round pick swap? or Matt Thomas and a pick for a big bodied midfield type

overall...I would prefer trading for picks with Port and Players with the crows.

Karnezis
Always has had the go home factor hanging over his head with the report close big family back home. But also, he just cant crack the senior team for the 2nd year straight after a very promising 1st year. Trade value: pick 20-35 or a reasonably talented player

in a Hurry...I like O'Keefe (pies), and Whitecross from the hawks. 2 QLD boys who would be great additions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potentially one of:
Warnock or Hampson.

Aside from that the only other Carlton players that are potentially trade/delistings are:

Duigan, Joseph, Davies, Ellard, Laidler, White, Collins, Dale, and O'keffee.

What do you think he'd be worth? Debatable whether he's best 22 at Carlton and hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but theres ability there

Out of Contract

I love these 2 players and think should they leave the lions will lose out big time in the future useless we get a great result out of the trade and subsequent draft (if picks are gained)

Polec...#5 draft pick, looks unsettled and disinterested at the lions compared to the young confident and vocal player in the SANFL. Trade Value: pick 10-20

Crows not having a 1st round pick would make a trade for a draft pick seem hard unless Port win quite a few more games and push out of the top 10 picks

Player trades: Andy Otten or Petrenko look the most to be potentially unsettled and still have some quality about them. Or from Port, maybe Andrew moore in a failed 1st round pick swap? or Matt Thomas and a pick for a big bodied midfield type

overall...I would prefer trading for picks with Port and Players with the crows.

Karnezis
Always has had the go home factor hanging over his head with the report close big family back home. But also, he just cant crack the senior team for the 2nd year straight after a very promising 1st year. Trade value: pick 20-35 or a reasonably talented player

in a Hurry...I like O'Keefe (pies), and Whitecross from the hawks. 2 QLD boys who would be great additions
Dogs would be interested in Polec. Probably offer our second rounder which would likely be between pick 19-21. See him as being very similar to our 2012 pick 6, Jack Macrae. Could work well together on opposite wings for the doggies.

Would the pick 20 or so get it done on your end? or would you want a player as well? You might be interested in Grant, see if you can turn him into a consistent player. He's a tall too, which looks a need for you blokes. Who knows what crazy Vossy will ask for him though.

Out of Contract

failed 1st pick?

ok , your not familiar with the club so don't know any better but better to not say anything if you don't know.

for your information was taken in the 2009 draft , played some early games before the dreaded osteitis pubis hit. this year has been hitting something like 17-22 possies and ten clearances and ten tackles consistantly in the sanfl. has been brought up to afl on the back of something like a 40 possie game and has looked pretty good in the clearances, just not getting to enough contests as we would like. has plenty of promise. recently re-signed for 2 or 3 years. if he wanted out would attract the interest of quite a few vic clubs but doesnt look like he wants to go anywhere.

also there has been very consistant rumours and question marks from a couple of different people on the port board about polecs application, work ethic and priorities from day one. i suspect if he wants out any club will be well aware of these and your club will take a heavy loss over that one.

Players that may be moved on/delisted/seek further opportunities/may be available for the right price from the Bulldogs:

Jarrad Grant - pretty well as close to delisted as you can get mid-way through a season. Won't be at the 'Dogs next year and may struggle to even be on a list next year. Has a truck load of talent and is a difficult matchup (with his height, agility and speed overall) but just doesn't work hard enough and doesn't seem to have any drive or hunger. Definitely at the crossroads. Doubtful that he'll get offers in a trade at this point.

Shaun Higgins - unlikely he'll go but I'd wager that if we get a decent offer and he's happy to go we'd jump at it. Has a lot of talent but is a bit soft - can't really blame him with the amount of injuries he's had though. Is capable of playing very, very well and would be very good in a great team, if he can get on the park. Don't think many would offer anything, but it's a possibility.

Patrick Veszpremi - see Grant. I've never seen a guy who can gather 35-odd disposals, kick three goals and absolutely tear a game to shreds in the VFL, then struggle to get a bloody touch at AFL level. I hope he makes it, I really do - he adds everything we're missing to the side, but he just can't get it together. Can't see him getting another chance.

Easton Wood - personally don't want to see Wood go, but I think he very well could gather some interest and certainly isn't "indispensable". One of those guys who we wouldn't actively try to trade, but would entertain some offers imo. Very fast, good endurance, can play a nice lock down role, is very good overhead but has massive brain fades with his disposal. Seems to have stagnated and may benefit from a fresh start. Certainly think there would be some interested clubs.

Jason Tutt - teased us all on his debut, kicking four goals - three of them from his first three kicks. Has had good games and truly awful games. Adds speed and good goal-sense but disposal lets him down. Can't see too many clubs being interested, but there's something to work with there.

Christian Howard - close to the most ridiculous first-round pick of ours in recent years. Has shown great disposal and awesome speed in very brief moments but can't put it all together to save his life. He has all the attributes of a very solid player but for some reason can't get there. Not a "Macca" player and may be another who benefits from a fresh start. Worth persisting with, but I just don't think he's going to go anywhere at the 'Dogs.

Lukas Markovic - will attract very little interest. Terrible as a key defender and is far too slow to be a key forward in any seriously contending side. Very good at getting into the right place around a stoppage and takes a nice grab but I'm not sure he'll ever be anything but depth at AFL level.

Not expecting much trading that doesn't involve draft picks for the 'Dogs as there's simply not much for us to work with as trade bait. No doubt we'll go hard at a couple of key position players and perhaps some midfield class, however I expect those trades to mostly involve draft picks.
He doesn't really have either of these.. lets be honest. Haha. His kicking was said to be excellent at the time he was drafted, dare I say it Gilbee like, but he hasn't ever had a game where people have said "wow that kid has some elite kicking skills". His skills are average at best. He really is very one sided, too.
His 'Awesome speed' is non existent, and is in no way fast. Doesn't really have a good burst, more just average pace, maybe slightly above average. Even then, that's being generous.
His real asset is his endurance. He is always at the top of the time trials in training and preseason and has a very decent tank. Other than that, he isn't a good mark, doesn't have exceptional handballing abilities, isn't a fantastic running defender, is fairly close to useless as a one on one defender and doesn't have any footy smarts. Also isn't a good contested player and seems to be a bit soft.

I too once told myself he had a few good aspects but I'm really struggling to see it at the moment. We try and sugar coat him as a club and supporter group to cover up for the horrible drafting of that year, but really, you can paint shit pink, but its still shit.

I'd love him to make it, he is the sort of half back flanker that runs all day that we need, but it's tough to see him becoming anything but an average player. Hasn't got an outstanding attribute, which isn't always a bad thing but you like a player to have a 'weapon', I guess. Doesn't bode well for young Christian.

He doesn't really have either of these.. lets be honest. Haha. His kicking was said to be excellent at the time he was drafted, dare I say it Gilbee like, but he hasn't ever had a game where people have said "wow that kid has some elite kicking skills". His skills are average at best. He really is very one sided, too.
His 'Awesome speed' is non existent, and is in no way fast. Doesn't really have a good burst, more just average pace, maybe slightly above average. Even then, that's being generous.
His real asset is his endurance. He is always at the top of the time trials in training and preseason and has a very decent tank. Other than that, he isn't a good mark, doesn't have exceptional handballing abilities, isn't a fantastic running defender, is fairly close to useless as a one on one defender and doesn't have any footy smarts. Also isn't a good contested player and seems to be a bit soft.

I too once told myself he had a few good aspects but I'm really struggling to see it at the moment. We try and sugar coat him as a club and supporter group to cover up for the horrible drafting of that year, but really, you can paint shit pink, but its still shit.

I'd love him to make it, he is the sort of half back flanker that runs all day that we need, but it's tough to see him becoming anything but an average player. Hasn't got an outstanding attribute, which isn't always a bad thing but you like a player to have a 'weapon', I guess. Doesn't bode well for young Christian.
I disagree. I've been one of Howard's biggest critics but he's got a hell of a lot of good attributes, he's just horribly low on confidence and can't string it together. Not trying to sugarcoat it - I mentioned in my post that he was a terrible first round pick - I'm confident that a club will make at the very least a serviceable player out of him. It just won't be us.

I disagree. I've been one of Howard's biggest critics but he's got a hell of a lot of good attributes, he's just horribly low on confidence and can't string it together. Not trying to sugarcoat it - I mentioned in my post that he was a terrible first round pick - I'm confident that a club will make at the very least a serviceable player out of him. It just won't be us.
What good attributes does he have? Other than a good tank (which most players in his position need) and a solid kick (only just above average, and that's being generous).

also, matt thomas is a free agent and can go anywhere he likes.

i suspect he may look elsewhere and only suits a club that wants to improve the 16-30 range on their list.

port has lobbe , renouf and aaron young i think still yet to re-sign. no sign or talk that any of them want to leave though. if port does land gorringe i imagine one of lobbe or renouf may be open to going elsewhere or port may be open to sending them elsewhere. everyone we are really keen to keep has already signed up.

What good attributes does he have? Other than a good tank (which most players in his position need) and a solid kick (only just above average, and that's being generous).
A good tank is underselling it, his tank is massive.

His kicking is very, very good, but the issue is that he's incredibly low on confidence and is every bit a confidence player. He's also much better in space and to play for the 'Dogs you need to be capable of winning the hard ball and going into a contest - he's better standing back from the contests but he can't do that for us and get a game. His kicking has looked average at best for us because he's playing roles that he's not up to.

While he doesn't have "burst speed", he accelerates decently fast and can maintain his top speed for a very long stretch.

He has a lot of issues and I'm not kidding myself into thinking he'll be worth anything decent, but I think clubs could do a lot worse than throw a late pick at him. I still think he'll become a good player, even if it is just for depth in the end.

On the Prestia stuff, I'd argue a straight swap for Watts may be in order.

Suns could return him to the forward line as a tall. Sheds the midfield spot for Martin to come in next year.

Meanwhile, Melbourne get a midfielder and shed Watts who is NQR right now, especially with Hogan coming in in 2014.

Would really love Doggies making a play for Gumbleton. Surely with Daniher almost being a certain starter for 2014 on-wards and with Hurley and Crameri already in that best 22 chances might dry up for Gumbleton. Will be 25 at the start of the 2014 season, Essendon fans would it still require teams paying 'overs' in order to land him?

A good tank is underselling it, his tank is massive.

His kicking is very, very good, but the issue is that he's incredibly low on confidence and is every bit a confidence player. He's also much better in space and to play for the 'Dogs you need to be capable of winning the hard ball and going into a contest - he's better standing back from the contests but he can't do that for us and get a game. His kicking has looked average at best for us because he's playing roles that he's not up to.

While he doesn't have "burst speed", he accelerates decently fast and can maintain his top speed for a very long stretch.

He has a lot of issues and I'm not kidding myself into thinking he'll be worth anything decent, but I think clubs could do a lot worse than throw a late pick at him. I still think he'll become a good player, even if it is just for depth in the end.

Agree his tank is large, although it's not massive. Not in the cross level. That's a massive tank. Crossy was still carving him in preseason.

He isn't a very, very good kick at all. He might be a good kick under no pressure at all, but when do you have that sort of time and space as an AFL footballer? Never. Also, a very, very good kick can kick well on both feet. Howard is incredibly one sided. He isn't overly penetrating, which is also something I would consider a very very good kick to be. he isn't consistent with his skills, either. Something a very, very good kick will need to be. Look at Luke Hodge or Sam Mitchell, these are very very good kicks. Penetrating, consistent and accurate. Howard isn't. He is at best a neat user of the ball under very little pressure.

His speed is consistent but not anything above average. He can hold his pace thanks to a good fitness base, nothing near the 'awesome speed' that you described. Awesome speed is Cyril Rioli or Lewis Jetta. Howard isn't on the same page as them. Hell, he isn't even in the same book. His speed results were average in testing during preseason and this was one of his self assessed weaknesses.

I want him to make it, clearly you want him to make it, the entire 'Dogs board want him to make it. He's up against it though, and as I've stated above, he's a very vanilla footballer. Average at everything. Good luck to him, but I'm not expecting too much this year. Would be ecstatic to be proven wrong though.

You make some good points Dale4captain and I don't outright disagree with most of them but I definitely don't think he's just average at everything. Personally I think the major problems are lack of confidence and the fact that he really doesn't fit in at the 'Dogs. Time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2013: Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back