Mega Thread 2013: Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Under certain circumstances I could see a couple of players at Geelong being traded or ask for a trade. Depending on the side structure by years end Trent West & Mitch Brown are two that may look at options.

West is contracted through 2014 and won't go (even if he asked to) as all our other rucks are injury prone and he's the only durable one, so we'd be mad to trade him.

I think Brown is one who may look for a trade, particularly if reports of Walker having a three year contract are true, the club may prefer him to Brow, or he may feel that way and ask for a trade. His future is probably tied to Taylor's though, if Taylor goes we will be thin for tall defenders so I think we will keep Brown (he is contracted), otherwise we will probably trade him for a 3rd rounder or something like that.

We have a lot of depth on the list so I think other clubs will definitely come sniffing around players who are not in our top 22 and entice them with more dollars and gametime.

Add to the list Melksham (please someone take him).
TBC to be traded to GWS if the price is right?

Have persisted and gifted games to Melksham for so long, may as well hang onto him now.

Should come on next year coming into his 5th AFL season.

Pears
Colyer
Melksham
Jetta
Hardingham
Gumbleton

With Fletch a strong chance of retiring at the end of the year, Pears could slot straight in. However, given Gumby and Daniher waiting in the wings for a forward sport - Hurley could go back. Which would push Hooker to the 3rd tall posi, and keep Pears out of the team once again. If this is the case - there's no point holding onto Pears if we are offered something half decent.

Already touched on Melksham in my last post, above. Otherwise agree with all others. :thumbsu:

Johannisen & Dahlhaus I'd be interested in from the Dogs. Understand they'd be highly rated at the Dogs and rightly so.

Where are they @ regarding contract status Dannnnnnnnnn?

Johannisen & Dahlhaus I'd be interested in from the Dogs. Understand they'd be highly rated at the Dogs and rightly so.

Where are they @ regarding contract status Dannnnnnnnnn?
Not sure where they're at but I'd guess that they're two of the closest things to untouchable as we've got. We lack skill and pace - those two have both and are very important. I'd guess we'd offer a 2nd rounder and if it's declined offer a second rounder + Tutt/Howard. Potentially Easton Wood or Shaun Higgins if you throw in a late pick, not sure. Can't see us going a whole heap higher on account of his injury history.

From what I've heard, last year you asked for no less than picks 5 and 6 and wouldn't budge. Can't see a trade getting done if you go in with that mentality again.

Just to put it out there, I'm guessing that unless the suns got a top top player they would not entertain idea of a 'fringe' player when we have to delist 6 at seasons end. So if any thing a player package of 2-3 players who would fit in at another club, a la melb, dogs, saints even for a first round pick. This would give one of those clubs undoubted talent and depth whilst cutting the suns list. Not sure it would actually happen but it would be silly for a lowly club to not consider it as an option

Understand they'd command a fair bit.

Gumby is starting to add another string to his bow when going back to the 2nds by playing ruck. Apparently BOG against Collingwood plucking plenty of marks around the ground. With that in mind, and barring any further injuries, I'm sure he would command a mid-late first rounder on the open market.

Understand they'd command a fair bit.

Gumby is starting to add another string to his bow when going back to the 2nds by playing ruck. Apparently BOG against Collingwood plucking plenty of marks around the ground. With that in mind, and barring any further injuries, I'm sure he would command a mid-late first rounder on the open market.
Oh absolutely, I'm not arguing that he's worth nothing and you should be happy to give him away for a couple of fringe players, certainly not. Just that you'd have to be a bit more reasonable than you were last season for us to play ball. As we showed with Dawes we're not afraid to walk away if we're getting screwed.
Given that our second pick will most likely be ~19-20 though I'd say that's pretty spot on for a bloke on the outer and who has played only 32 games in 6-7 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players with value I could see/want us to move on would be:
Gilbert
Ray
Jones
Simpkin
Milera
Ledger

Not a great bunch of names but most of the others are ageing stars or newly drafted kids.

I think Cheney could be attractive to rebuilding sides. I rate him but I feel Duryea may have overtaken him. Savage is another that should generate some interest. At times he has looked like he could become anything, which is why I don't want to loose him. But the fact that he isn't playing seniors despite quite a few outs at the moment suggests he may be on the outer.

Whitecross as someone touted will be staying IMO. Future leader I reckon.

Would really love Doggies making a play for Gumbleton. Surely with Daniher almost being a certain starter for 2014 on-wards and with Hurley and Crameri already in that best 22 chances might dry up for Gumbleton. Will be 25 at the start of the 2014 season, Essendon fans would it still require teams paying 'overs' in order to land him?
It'd still require something very good coming back our way; I just don't think (with the form he's showed this year, following on from last year) that would be in any way 'overs' - for a near-on 200cm, athletic, injury free key forward.

Doubt we'd let him leave though; Hille's done and they're setting Gumby as the pinch-hit ruck.

Just to put it out there, I'm guessing that unless the suns got a top top player they would not entertain idea of a 'fringe' player when we have to delist 6 at seasons end. So if any thing a player package of 2-3 players who would fit in at another club, a la melb, dogs, saints even for a first round pick. This would give one of those clubs undoubted talent and depth whilst cutting the suns list. Not sure it would actually happen but it would be silly for a lowly club to not consider it as an option

Of course not.
More to the point; the first few years there wasn't much in the way of convincing tall talent - so guys like Warnock/Hooker made a lot of sense, in my mind if not McKenna's - but that's looking pretty good now.
There's holes, just like every list; but there's a decent, coherent structure between the holes.

Gwilt/Magner... meh. They're OK, but they're not going to be top of anyone's hit list.

I can't imagine the Bombers will play hardball with Gumbleton. At the end of last year he had massive question marks over his health. We only offered him a 1 year deal, word was that he failed medicals at the couple of clubs he was courted by. I don't think he had a lot of currency, so the Dons weren't keen to offload him for bugger all. If he stays fit this year, he will have far more currency, which i'd imagine the Bombers would be content to collect on. As you say pick 19-20 would probably be accepted.

Gumbleton's probably my number 1 target this off-season. Hopefully the Bombers see a bit of reason and let him go for something that's not absolutely ridiculous like our first two picks again. Not holding my breath though.

Based on the assumption he stays fit and continues to show form his currency would have gone up from last year.

I'd keep him. Much rather an established KPF than a speculative pick. I'm not the Bombers of course, but it would take a SERIOUSLY overs offer (ie. the Dogs first pick) to get me interested.

Players with value I could see/want us to move on would be:
Gilbert
Ray
Jones
Simpkin
Milera
Ledger

Not a great bunch of names but most of the others are ageing stars or newly drafted kids.

Is Dal Santo out of contract EOY?

I can't imagine the Bombers will play hardball with Gumbleton. At the end of last year he had massive question marks over his health. We only offered him a 1 year deal, word was that he failed medicals at the couple of clubs he was courted by. I don't think he had a lot of currency, so the Dons weren't keen to offload him for bugger all. If he stays fit this year, he will have far more currency, which i'd imagine the Bombers would be content to collect on. As you say pick 19-20 would probably be accepted.

For what though? We've got youth depth coming out of our ears, I'd say this year we should be consolidating our existing list - and possibly adding another experienced head ala Goddard. IF he stays fit; why trade him? He'd be bloody useful - particularly in a strong side.

Based on the assumption he stays fit and continues to show form his currency would have gone up from last year.

I'd keep him. Much rather an established KPF than a speculative pick. I'm not the Bombers of course, but it would take a SERIOUSLY overs offer (ie. the Dogs first pick) to get me interested.
Certainly not denying that, but even now picks 5 and 6 for him is obscene.

I think the Bombers would share your thoughts, however this is more if he decides he wants to leave. We'd be able to pay him more and give him much more guaranteed game time as we don't have a Ryder/Daniher/Bellchambers/Crameri/Hurley/Carlisle/Fletcher etc situation. If he doesn't want to leave I have no doubt that you'll keep him.

Senior listed players with recent experience who are on the fringe at WC:

Mitch Brown
Ashley Smith
Sam Butler
Scott Lycett
Blayne Wilson
Patrick McGinnity
Bradd Dalziell
Adam Selwood

Form an orderly queue... :)

Might like a nibble at Lycett. Would rather that than draft a young ruckman. Throw in Adam Selwood and we can deal. How about

Lycett for round 4 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2013: Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back