Mega Thread 2013 TRADE PERIOD discussion thread - Aidan Riley (Crows) added as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for intruding. I would just like to point out that the meeting between Bernie and the MFC was initiated by the MFC. The AFC was not shopping Bernie around.
At least that is what Bernie's agent stated on 5AA this afternoon.
Cheers.:thumbsu:
...and Liam Pickering said Buddy was staying at the Hawks as did buddy. Goddard said he wanted to stay at the Saints, Scully, moloney and Sylvia all said they wanted to remain demons, notice a trend?

Lose Sylvia, gain Vince. Massive win for our club if we can get that done for a 2nd round pick. Vince plays more midfield than Sylvia, and he actually tries unlike Col most games. I still think we would be a long shot at getting him across, but let's hope we can.

Still a long way to go, but I'd be very happy if we landed Shiel with our pick 2, Vince with our 2nd round pick and Michie with our 4th round pick and hopefully land Cross for nothing. I'd upgrade Magner to the main list as well. All of this could still happen, or none of it, but if we can't land Shiel or another B+ mid, then I'd be more inclined to go with the best young Vic midfielder. I here Aish is most likely to go 2, but If there is a kid as good as him from Vic, I personally reckon we go with him.

I posted on our board. Vince for pick 20 and swap of our third round for your second IMO would be a fair deal. We get a few picks and you get a known quality. Thoughts?

I posted on our board. Vince for pick 20 and swap of our third round for your second IMO would be a fair deal. We get a few picks and you get a known quality. Thoughts?
Vince is a 28 yo bogan dunce. The would be deal would pick 20 alone, and at that it is overs.

Didn't finish top 10 in the BnF of a club in the bottom third of the competition.

Not sure what Ralphy is smoking there (but I want some). Having a look at his twitter I think it was some fan that presented the idea to him rather than any "inside" word.

As for Facebook, I don't belong to any of the rumour fan pages, and I instantly disregard any of the rumours from there that make it to this board. Clearly run by some kids on their school holidays after a bit of attention and succeeding too might I add with the amount of people rehashing their rubbish.
I'm in it for the LOLz.

How about - pick 19 and pick 20 for Vince and Henderson? Collectively that may get the deal done.
Would rather go to the draft with pick 19 and get Dunstan/Zac Jones/Dumont (played quite well in the SANFL grand final). We could get a lot better for 19 in a trade elsewhere.

Also we have no interest in Henderson. Is 25 and a KPP. We have enough of those.

If Henderson is worth pick 20, what does that mean for Frawley and Garland? They'd both be worth Pick 1, Gary Ablett, Lebron James and Steve Jobs' entire fortune.

Surely God was joking when he came up with brains capable of ideas like this?

Now let me preface this by saying that obviously your team is not currently a "destination club" by any stretch- heck as a Port supporter who has endured the past 4-5 years I can relate! But all I can say is that I hope you don't go the patented Fremantle 1995-2005 quick-fix method, of trading away your future for false hope and fools gold. If Hinkley can turn the apparent basketcase of a list we had into what we achieved this year, then I've got no doubt that a coach of Roos' credentials and stature will have no problem whipping your squad of underachieving yet talented kids into firstly a respectable team, and ultimately a premiership contender. And he'll do this by shaping the squad from the ground up, not from chasing quick fixes to appease success-starved fans.

Vince- top bloke off-field but a guy who is 29 next year with a degenerative knee condition for Pick 20? I dunno about you guys but if I had any opposition team's supporters flooding my board telling me what a great deal something was my bullshit detector would be going ballistic. Doesn't it seem weird that a team supposedly in their premiership window is looking to offload a midfield star "in his prime"?? Plus he's not exactly the role model your young mids are looking for, in fact he's still struggling to kick his "party boy" reputation in Adelaide media circles.

Since Bernie clearly won't be around for your next premiership, I don't see why you guys aren't chasing guys like Chappy, Dal Santo, Dan Cross, even luring Joel Corey out of retirement, by enticing them with one last fat paycheck and the promise of mentoring a bunch of young kids under one of the most respected coaches of the game. Not only are these guys all proven past champions, but more importantly you aren't mortgaging your future for a quick fix.

Now let me preface this by saying that obviously your team is not currently a "destination club" by any stretch- heck as a Port supporter who has endured the past 4-5 years I can relate! But all I can say is that I hope you don't go the patented Fremantle 1995-2005 quick-fix method, of trading away your future for false hope and fools gold. If Hinkley can turn the apparent basketcase of a list we had into what we achieved this year, then I've got no doubt that a coach of Roos' credentials and stature will have no problem whipping your squad of underachieving yet talented kids into firstly a respectable team, and ultimately a premiership contender. And he'll do this by shaping the squad from the ground up, not from chasing quick fixes to appease success-starved fans.

Vince- top bloke off-field but a guy who is 29 next year with a degenerative knee condition for Pick 20? I dunno about you guys but if I had any opposition team's supporters flooding my board telling me what a great deal something was my bullshit detector would be going ballistic. Doesn't it seem weird that a team supposedly in their premiership window is looking to offload a midfield star "in his prime"?? Plus he's not exactly the role model your young mids are looking for, in fact he's still struggling to kick his "party boy" reputation in Adelaide media circles.

Since Bernie clearly won't be around for your next premiership, I don't see why you guys aren't chasing guys like Chappy, Dal Santo, Dan Cross, even luring Joel Corey out of retirement, by enticing them with one last fat paycheck and the promise of mentoring a bunch of young kids under one of the most respected coaches of the game. Not only are these guys all proven past champions, but more importantly you aren't mortgaging your future for a quick fix.

Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity, and in South Australia-based team supporters. Apparently they weren't all dropped on their heads as children. Carn the Power.

I'm in it for the LOLz.

Would rather go to the draft with pick 19 and get Dunstan/Zac Jones/Dumont (played quite well in the SANFL grand final). We could get a lot better for 19 in a trade elsewhere.

Also we have no interest in Henderson. Is 25 and a KPP. We have enough of those.

If Henderson is worth pick 20, what does that mean for Frawley and Garland? They'd both be worth Pick 1, Gary Ablett, Lebron James and Steve Jobs' entire fortune.

Surely God was joking when he came up with brains capable of ideas like this?

I stopped reading when you said Henderson was a KPP.

I stopped reading when you said Henderson was a KPP.

Eh, definitely isn't a genuine midfielder in the sense of what we need. Potato, potatoe. Kindly leave, or else contribute something that is beyond the intellectual capacity of a 3 year old chipmunk, though I understand this is a challenge for you. The average life expectancy of a chipmunk is less than three years, so we're talking dead things here.

I love how Adelaide supporters have flocked to our board to posit how much Bernie Vince is worth and how great of a player he is and how important he is to them, though they are clearly writhing with excitement at the thought of trading him for a top 30 pick.

Full credit to Ken Hinkley for what he achieved this year, but fact is he had A LOT more midfield talent and depth to work with than what Roos currently has. We have one A/B grade midfielder in Nathan Jones and a stack of young kids or C, D and E graders running through the midfield.

Roos could develop the best game-plan the sport has ever seen and inspire his troops like no man ever has before but until we get midfield quality we won't be winning any games of footy.

Vince will be 28 for all of next season. I see 3-4 years left in him. That's enough.

I hope Roos & co take note. I'd be really annoyed if did the trade. I'm still trying to recover from last yrs trade Cam Pedersen etc. I hope we keep pick 2. I'm tried of short term fixes. I've suffered enough. Good luck nxt yr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh, definitely isn't a genuine midfielder in the sense of what we need. Potato, potatoe. Kindly leave, or else contribute something that is beyond the intellectual capacity of a 3 year old chipmunk, though I understand this is a challenge for you. The average life expectancy of a chipmunk is less than three years, so we're talking dead things here.

I love how Adelaide supporters have flocked to our board to posit how much Bernie Vince is worth and how great of a player he is and how important he is to them, though they are clearly writhing with excitement at the thought of trading him for a top 30 pick.
Go on their board mate half of them think Pick 20 isn't enough for Bernie talk about delusional

Somewhere between a 35 & 45 Pick would be true reflection of Bernie's last few years

About as likely as Vince and Lyons being swapped for Toumpas and #2. As much as the AFL would like to think of us as one, we are not going to gift to the poor (or in Sydney's case the rich) every season.

I wouldn't be happy about it, but 20 for Vince is not far off. The problem is, is that it becomes 22-24 after FA potentially.

Lyons himself has shown enough in class, craft, clearance ability to be worthy of a low-mid 20's pick in itself.

Vince is a guaranteed performer, he has class, two wonderful pegs and game-breaking ability. Pick 20 is shot in the dark.

A package deal would be our best way forward, whether it's for 2 or not, I don't have the answers as to how it may or may not get done, unless JToump or Trengove is a part of it, picks is all you have to offer.

After 12 games you have come to this conclusion? think you might be a little of the mark with that one.

Ha classic - the filth going to opposition boards to keep trolling.

Maybe tell everyone your Polec thread had to be shut down because none of you could stop talking about the crows. Just such a pathetic inferiority complex.

Kindly leave, or else contribute something that is beyond the intellectual capacity of a 3 year old chipmunk, though I understand this is a challenge for you. The average life expectancy of a chipmunk is less than three years, so we're talking dead things here.

This is fken hilarious!

Anyway, back to the Adelaide / Port shitfight..

Just spitballing,

What would people think of Nick Smith (25 - 98 games), Luke Parker (21 - 57 games) and Sydney's first round pick (currently 14) for pick 2 and the Sylvia compo (I'm estimating after our 2nd round - low 20s)? Both Victorian, both in the right age bracket with the right experience, both played full years (24 & 25 games) at Sydney, however are behind a few others and what is hopefully a good midfielder that slides in the draft.

Both players have shown potential as midfielders. The Sydney midfield is pretty stacked for the next 2 years at least and they're likely to be behind Mcveigh, Hannebery, Mitchell, Kennedy, Jack and Rohan and competing for the remaining midfield time with Bird, Lamb, Rampe. They'll both get pay rises playing at the MFC as well.

Paul Roos was up in Sydney a while ago talking to Perris (the academy kid) a while back? What's the likelihood that he may have met with a few of the younger sydney mids while he was up there? Offer more cash, better game time etc.

Trade Michie in with our 3rd rounder, get Cross as a delisted free agent unless someone better wants to come to us via the PSD.

Leaves us with picks 14(ish), 20(ish), Parker, Smith, Michie and Cross after the trade period. Assuming we make no other delistings pick 54(ish) will be our 3rd and final pick in the draft.

I would then hope for 2 mids and a KP prospect in the draft and another KP in the rookie draft.

Under the scenario above, which I have completely made up based on my own speculations (and hopes) my ideal starting 22 + emg would be:

B: Smith, Frawley, Garland

HB: Grimes, Mcdonald, Terlich

C: Toumpas, Parker, Trengove

HF: Howe, Dawes, Watts

FF: Kent, Clark, Hogan

R: Gawn, N. Jones, Viney

Int: Cross, M. Jones, Dunn, Blease(sub)

Emg: Michie, Jamar, Fitzpatrick

7 pure midfielders, 4 more who can run through the middle and 4 who can play on a wing (allowing the midfielders to stay in the middle). The remaining players are 3 KPF (inc. 2nd ruck), 3 KPD and the 1st ruck.

Midfielders: N. Jones, Parker, Toumpas, M. Jones, Trengove, Viney, Cross

Other players who can run through the midfield: Grimes, Smith, Dunn, Blease

Players who can play on a wing: Watts, Howe, Kent, Terlich

Cross in the side over Michie due to experience. Jamar is unlucky, but he is past his peak and Gawn is the future. Dunn covers KPD depth, Fitzpatrick covers KPF depth.

Gawn plays 90% game time and rests on the bench, with Clark making up the other 10%. Dunn to be used as the utility, Watts to be a HF/ Wing. Would want the HF line to play up high to leave room for Clark/ Hogan to lead.

Adding Smith & Parker pushes Nicholson, Mckenzie, Strauss, Tapscott, Evans etc. out of the top 25. Barry, Pick 14 and 20 could come in to the equation too. Don't see Spencer, Bail, Taggert, Jetta, Pedersen, Byrnes, pick 56 or the rookies getting a game unless injuries hit.

Leaves us with a pretty solid backline, a talented forwardline and a competitive midfield (providing natural development occurs).

I would look to trade any of the following for a better pick than our 4th rounder, possibly in a package with it to sweeten the deal if its a good pick: Nicholson, Strauss, Tapscott, Evans, Bail, Taggert, Jetta, Pedersen, Byrnes.

FWIW I don't see any of the above being traded though.

... It's an improvement on the 2013 team.

Probably sick of Adelaide supporters coming on with expectations of what we want in return for player x and player y so I won't add to that.

Eh, definitely isn't a genuine midfielder in the sense of what we need.
Will add this on Henderson though (posted on the Collingwood board when there was talk of him going to them)

He finished 16th with 25 votes although he missed 8 games and was sub for another (for b&f).

The thing to note is how many votes he got when his role switched, he took over the HBF role for Reilly (once he got injured) in which he polled 20 of his 25 votes (rounds 14-20). During that period, I believe only Crouch out-polled him.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-09-06/club-champ-roundbyround-voting

Henderson's patch of form towards the end of the season has boosted his value greatly because before that, he was someone who was very hot and cold. What he showed towards the end of the season was someone who provided plenty of run (very quick) and strong attack from half back. Add to that his height, it's not the sort of player you come across all that much and something we're surely lacking (really don't want to see Reilly return to that role).

So whilst he isn't the midfielder you guys are after, he's someone that could provide plenty of run coming out of the backline who is capable of playing as a 3rd tall in the forward line and quite possibly on the wing. Not exactly known for his defensively abilities, not saying he's a bad defender, but that's not what he's down there for but he seems capable enough to defend his man well enough.

Not sure how you guys are off for half back flankers, I know a couple of years ago you had both Grimes and Tapscott in those sort of roles (well at least when they were injury free) however I believe since then Grimes has moved into the midfield whilst Tapscott has struggled with injury/form? Didn't watch much of Melbourne at all this year so I'm unsure who you've got as your attacking defender now, but at this current time, that appears to be the role that is best suited for Henderson.

Tbh, I have my doubts over just how likely it is that Vince will go to Melbourne (just don't think he's the sort of player you guys would be interested in) and I'm not sure there's been any official talk of Henderson to Melbourne other than bigfooty and Ralph (who from what I gather liked the suggestion posted to him on twitter of 3 Adelaide guys who are worth between the 15-35 mark (if McKernan was the 3rd guy then the 60-100 mark) somehow being worth Melbourne's #2 pick).

So whilst he isn't the midfielder you guys are after, he's someone that could provide plenty of run coming out of the backline who is capable of playing as a 3rd tall in the forward line and quite possibly on the wing. Not exactly known for his defensively abilities, not saying he's a bad defender, but that's not what he's down there for but he seems capable enough to defend his man well enough.

Not sure how you guys are off for half back flankers, I know a couple of years ago you had both Grimes and Tapscott in those sort of roles (well at least when they were injury free) however I believe since then Grimes has moved into the midfield whilst Tapscott has struggled with injury/form? Didn't watch much of Melbourne at all this year so I'm unsure who you've got as your attacking defender now, but at this current time, that appears to be the role that is best suited for Henderson.

Legitimate, but I'd rather see players like Tapscott, Grimes, Bail, Strauss, Nicholson, etc improve under Roos to provide that role. Frawley, Garland and McDonald provide us with a lot of run as tall forwards anyway. It's not a role we're lacking for, I think we do quite well for rebound 50s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back