Mega Thread 2013 TRADE PERIOD discussion thread - Aidan Riley (Crows) added as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Tyson came on board a couple of hours ago I thought of him more as an outside player than an inside mid. I know highlights packages are meant to show the 'good' side to a player but loooking at teh highlights does anyone else see similarities to Simon Black?

Inside mid, evasive and shrugging tackles to dish out handballs and a neat left foot kick!

Hopefully both Tyson & Michie get the majority of the pre-season under their belt and put their injury concerns behind them.

We then use #9 on another mid, Crouch, Sheed, Freeman (think pies are keen on Freeman too & his availability for us could be dependant on whether they trade with WCE for #6)

Before Tyson came on board a couple of hours ago I thought of him more as an outside player than an inside mid. I know highlights packages are meant to show the 'good' side to a player but loooking at teh highlights does anyone else see similarities to Simon Black?

Inside mid, evasive and shrugging tackles to dish out handballs and a neat left foot kick!

Hopefully both Tyson & Michie get the majority of the pre-season under their belt and put their injury concerns behind them.

We then use #9 on another mid, Crouch, Sheed, Freeman (think pies are keen on Freeman too & his availability for us could be dependant on whether they trade with WCE for #6)

Pendlebury or Black we are thinking along a similar line here. The guy oozes class and time in traffic, so happy to have him.

Peter Ryan just called Sylvia our best midfielder on the AFL site

Footy journalism 101: Are they in a teams top 5 mids? Yes? They are the teams best midfielder.

Do we think Roosy will try trade pick 9!?

I don't think so, believe Roos is a big fan of Nathan Freeman.

I'd be happy with any one of Sheed, Crouch, Billings, Freeman or Scharenberg at 9. If they're all taken before then we'll be dead unlucky haha.

I don't think so, believe Roos is a big fan of Nathan Freeman.

I'd be happy with any one of Sheed, Crouch, Billings, Freeman or Scharenberg at 9. If they're all taken before then we'll be dead unlucky haha.

Boyd at 1, McDonald at 8 locked in. That leaves Aish, Kelly and the 5 you have just mentioned to fill 6 spots.

Boyd at 1, McDonald at 8 locked in. That leaves Aish, Kelly and the 5 you have just mentioned to fill 6 spots.

Yep, realised that literally a minute ago and was coming back here to say it haha. Definitely makes this a win for us, we're guaranteed a gun at 9. From what I've seen it's a very even top 10.

So the phantom draft would be :

Boyd (GWS)
Kelly (GWS)
Aish (Saints)
Scharenberg(WB) Best player at that pick
Billings (GC)
(WC)
(BL)
McDonald (NM)
(Melb)

At pick 9 there is a lot of potential there, I think these are a lock at that point at WC pick they could become less certain.
'GC could be a mystery I would say they go for a Billings as they have great mids and might need forward line pressure
Will WC go for a local lad like Sheed /Acres /McCarthy
BL would be looking for a bigger body considering they have lost a few players and will want someone that could play round 1 Like Freeman

So that leaves us
Will we look at the Freo prototype like Bontempelli (forward Mid) but just 2cm shorter than Watts
I would say we would be looking at someone over the 190cm as we have a good range under that height.

Like to see what others think.

Yep, realised that literally a minute ago and was coming back here to say it haha. Definitely makes this a win for us, we're guaranteed a gun at 9. From what I've seen it's a very even top 10.

Of the boys you mentioned (excluding Aish & Kelly), who in your opinion has the best skills and vision?

Good trade getting Tyson, a former number 3 pick with 2 years in the system. Seems Roosy is targeting inside mids so it never appeared we were particularly interested in taking Aish at pick 2. As has been mentioned, we were probably going to take one of a couple of guys at pick 2 who have a good chance of still being available at pick 9 anyway. Hopefully this trade ultimately leads to a big win on draft day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you see the highlights footage of Tyson and Michie, most of their possessions are won in clearance situations. My concern with Aish is that he appears to be an outside player only.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Crouch at 9, or as a smokie Lewis Taylor. If Sheed was available, we'd take him.

Of the boys you mentioned (excluding Aish & Kelly), who in your opinion has the best skills and vision?

In terms of skill (using the ball well, hands in the contest, etc) it'd probably be Scharenberg first, then Billings (the 'win-a-game-off-your-own-boot' player), then Freeman and Sheed with Crouch a fair way behind, his disposals is a bit average. Crouch though is the best ball-winner in the group and the best in traffic. Would be most likely to win clearances. Sheed and Freeman again would be similar in this regard, though Freeman is more explosive. Scharenerg and Billings have played mostly half-back and half-forward so far, but when they do go into the midfield they're both pretty good at finding the ball.

Well done you guys , that's a super trade . We proved last year with vlastuin at no 9 that a top shelf player can still be secured. Love the bluff about bugg and buntine sending the footy world into hysteria too, that's quite a script.

Yes top picks *cough Tambling* *cough Morton* sometimes aren't the best, and a pick around 10 can work out *cough Dangerfield*

AFL better not screw us on the Sylvia compo, even though I get the feeling they will. I really want us to land Vince, would be very handy to our midfield. Would absolutely be spewing if we didn't get him (especially if he went to the Giants)

AFL better not screw us on the Sylvia compo, even though I get the feeling they will. I really want us to land Vince, would be very handy to our midfield. Would absolutely be spewing if we didn't get him (especially if he went to the Giants)

Can't help think that the AFL must have whispered in our ear re Sylvia compo or we wouldn't have given up pick 20

OR, since we landed Tyson / Pick 9 they don't see getting Vince as critical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back