List Mgmt. 2013 Trading & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The original list I heard was (but has definitely changed since due to re-signings):

Franklin
Riewoldt
Nathan VB
Hodge
Cooney
Daisy Thomas
Carazzo
Judd
Dal Santo
Daniel Wells
Drew Petrie

The original list I heard was (but has definitely changed since due to re-signings):

Franklin
Riewoldt
Nathan VB
Hodge
Cooney
Daisy Thomas
Carazzo
Judd
Dal Santo
Daniel Wells
Drew Petrie
Let's go for VB

There is effectively no price that will get Hodge out of Hawthorn.

Franklin would need about $1.1mill a year for 5, and even then it's tough to see happening.

Cooney has a degenerative knee, despite the recent article about miracle surgery. He's not worth chasing.

I think Daisy Thomas might be the best bet, from that limited list anyway. Lots of midfield talent around Collingwood, he's going to feel like he deserves more money than he's getting and Collingwood are able to part with, and getting it at an established club pushing for a flag is a lot better than earning slightly more at one of the expansion teams which he may or may not have knocked back last time he was out of contract.

We were already prepared to throw a warchest at someone next year after we got no bites, and lost Knights. Couple that with losing Tippett, who was on the biggest money, the likely departure of Tambling, and now our loss of early draft picks? I think it's pretty clear that quite a few clubs are going to be nervous as the season moves forward next year.

No idea what their contract statuses are, but some guys who would be eligible for RFA if they're out of contract: Hurn, Birchall, Varcoe, Stokes, Roughead, Griffen, Betts, LeCras...

Surely with a Tippett-shaped hole in our salary cap we should be able to woo at least one of those names...

There is effectively no price that will get Hodge out of Hawthorn.

Franklin would need about $1.1mill a year for 5, and even then it's tough to see happening.

Cooney has a degenerative knee, despite the recent article about miracle surgery. He's not worth chasing.

I think Daisy Thomas might be the best bet, from that limited list anyway. Lots of midfield talent around Collingwood, he's going to feel like he deserves more money than he's getting and Collingwood are able to part with, and getting it at an established club pushing for a flag is a lot better than earning slightly more at one of the expansion teams which he may or may not have knocked back last time he was out of contract.

We were already prepared to throw a warchest at someone next year after we got no bites, and lost Knights. Couple that with losing Tippett, who was on the biggest money, the likely departure of Tambling, and now our loss of early draft picks? I think it's pretty clear that quite a few clubs are going to be nervous as the season moves forward next year.
Chapman said today they were going to re gig some contracts which will create even more room. We are going to have some massive money to throw around.

We can forget about trading unless we throw up quality which we won't do. So we should be able to secure 1 superstar or 2 quality players with the coin we will have through free trade.

Chapman said today they were going to re gig some contracts which will create even more room. We are going to have some massive money to throw around.

We can forget about trading unless we throw up quality which we won't do. So we should be able to secure 1 superstar or 2 quality players with the coin we will have through free trade.

Wouldn't surprise if we had 1 or 2 fringe 22 players have a look around, but otherwise we really need to be proactive with FA. This year we're relying on natural development of players and greater understanding of Sandos gameplan to improve, we can't really go too many years without getting involved in trading or the pointy end of the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drew Petrie is the player we should be chasing.

He will be a very good partner in crime with Taylor Walker. I rate Petrie very highly and is a top 10 AFL player when his fitness his very good.

Good player, Alex, but getting a bit long in the tooth. If we got him, he would be 31 before he played a game for us.

Daniel Wells would be a nice fit but would be 29 before he played a game for us.

Dale Thomas is a very good fit and also the right age. He would be 26 when he played his first game for us, if we were to get him.

The question with any of them is whether you can get them to relocate to Adelaide, even if they are prepared to change clubs.

Good player, Alex, but getting a bit long in the tooth. If we got him, he would be 31 before he played a game for us.

Daniel Wells would be a nice fit but would be 29 before he played a game for us.

Dale Thomas is a very good fit and also the right age. He would be 26 when he played his first game for us, if we were to get him.

The question with any of them is whether you can get them to relocate to Adelaide, even if they are prepared to change clubs.

Drew Petrie - true, therefore, in that case we don't chase anyone as really put the pressure on Jenkins or SMACK to develop into that second forward/ruckman.

Unless we can get a key forward or a key defender, I feel we are almost set. To answer your question about relocation, I feel we will need to pay overs to get them to move states, let alone clubs. Therefore, I feel we wouldn't recruit a free agent player to be a back up and then pay them more than their value.

I'm happy to pay overs, for a key player that will fill a hole in our side. If not, develop one of our own.

Daniel Wells and Drew Petrie have had a sort of a weird link to the AFC the moment they got drafted.

Everyone knows the we traded a pick used on Wells for Carey but a few remember that we trade a pick used on Petrie for Evan Hewitt, a player with prototype build for a CHF but talent mildly better than Matthew Smith!

Cue macca23 :D

In terms of FA, a lot of good players but as macca23 said, Thomas is the only one that fits the age profile we would be after.

I think Petrie would be a perfect fit with Tex but too old and Wells is exactly what we are after but again, close to retirement than prime of his career!

I still hold a lot of hope that McKernan and/or Jenkins will come good as Tex's partner in crime and both can also play as back up ruckmen!

Thomas isn't leaving Collingwood.

End of story.

Hypothetically he does and he comes to the Crows - does anyone not expect Eddie to order a national investigation into how we are paying him. Especially after this recent drama?

He would be on Ken Woods door step demanding he look at the deal and look at every cent we are paying him.

Daniel Wells and Drew Petrie have had a sort of a weird link to the AFC the moment they got drafted.

Everyone knows the we traded a pick used on Wells for Carey but a few remember that we trade a pick used on Petrie for Evan Hewitt, a player with prototype build for a CHF but talent mildly better than Matthew Smith!

Cue macca23 :D

Evan Hewitt was a frustrating footballer. Had a fair amount of ability but either not the bravest or just didn't care enough. Never delivered up to his talents IMO.

On the other hand, Matthew Smith delivered fully up to his talents - which were absolutely sweet fk-all!!

I think Gibbs should be a target. I think he is a restricted FA end of 2013. At least its realistic imo.

Thomas isn't leaving Collingwood.

End of story.

Hypothetically he does and he comes to the Crows - does anyone not expect Eddie to order a national investigation into how we are paying him. Especially after this recent drama?

He would be on Ken Woods door step demanding he look at the deal and look at every cent we are paying him.

That's okay, Alex, we've just been through that with every one of our players. :)

Eddie McChins would bust his 4th chin in rage if we dared to pinch a Collingwood player of the ilk of Thomas. That alone would make it worthwhile IMO. :D

I think Gibbs should be a target. I think he is a restricted FA end of 2013. At least its realistic imo.

I feel Bryce is now engrained into the Victorian football culture and will never live in South Australia again.

I feel, as a club will we gamble on Adam Cooney and hope his knee isn't as bad as it's been reported. we will pay overs to get him home.

That's okay, Alex, we've just been through that with every one of our players. :)

Eddie McChins would bust his 4th chin in rage if we dared to pinch a Collingwood player of the ilk of Thomas. That alone would make it worthwhile IMO. :D

Absolutely, we should be pumping up his value to over inflate their own salary cap. But I don't feel we have a hope in hell of getting him to move clubs.

All very well to have a heap of salary cap to throw around but our problem as it always has been is to get players to come to live in Adelaide. They just won't do it. We all love it here but it seems to be poison to successful players.

This is where Free Agency really favours Melbourne clubs as there are 10 clubs in Melbourne for Free Agents to leave and 10 clubs for them to transfer to without leaving home.

Our only hope is to get ex SA players to come home and we haven't been very successful at that over the years.

So dream on if you think big $ will lure a top player to Adelaide, unless he's an expat.

I look at the fact that Grundy wouldn't entertain the idea of coming home to Adelaide so we could get the Tippett deal done propery. He said an emphatic no to the idea.

That's what we are up against.

Free agency will strengthen the top Melbourne based clubs and weaken the lesser Melbourne based clubs.

Would just turn 25 at the beginning of his first season with us, should we get him. Certainly the right age and definitely an outside receiver. Great skills but he'll never be referrred to as Bryce the Lionheart!!

Would just turn 25 at the beginning of his first season with us, should we get him. Certainly the right age and definitely an outside receiver. Great skills but he'll never be referrred to as Bryce the Lionheart!!

Lol.....yes i suspect you could hide a couple of eggs in his pocket at 1/4 time and be pretty confident of getting them back in one piece at the main break!

Still, his skills would be of great benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back