Strategy 2013 v 2014 Draftees, who would you take

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread just for fun, way to early tell future lol. Just to see who supporters rate this early in their careers on who will be better. I'll give my own preferences too

2013 v 2014 > my pref

1 - Boyd v McCartin > Boyd
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Kelly
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > Billings
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Bonts
5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > KK
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > CMB
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish
8 - McDonald v Wright > McDonald
9 - Salem v Moore > Moore
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Freeman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11 - Sheed v Duggan > Duggan
12 - Lennon v Ellis > Lennon
13 - Cripps v Weller > Cripps
14 - McCarthy v Lever > McCarthy
15 - Jones v Garlett > Garlett
16 - Lang v Durdin > Durdin
17 - Apeness v Langford > Apeness
18 - Dunstan v Heeney > Heeney
19 - Acres v Boekhorst > Boekhorst
20 - Leslie v Laverde > Leslie
21 - Impey v Goddard > Impey

1 - Boyd v McCartin > Boyd once in a gen foward
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Petracca only just
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > cant split but i like billings more
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Bonts easy choice
5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > tricky one this both good players in there own right KK for me
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Sharenberg think people forget how talented he is
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish easy choice
8 - McDonald v Wright > Wright will be given time and develop well
9 - Salem v Moore > Salem dont think much of moore as a player
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Freeman both athletic freaks freeman for me
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11 - Sheed v Duggan > Sheed only just tho
12 - Lennon v Ellis > Lennon kicking is awesome will be a better player longterm
13 - Cripps v Weller > Weller
14 - McCarthy v Lever > Lever
15 - Jones v Garlett > Jones underrated player imo
16 - Lang v Durdin > Durdin Easy choice im certain geel would of picked durdin if it was a choice btwn the two
17 - Apeness v Langford > Apeness underrated foward will be a focal point for freo soon
18 - Dunstan v Heeney > Heeney but dunstan is a stud
19 - Acres v Boekhorst > Acres easy
20 - Leslie v Laverde > Laverde
21 - Impey v Goddard > goddard hugr value at 21

thoughts on some listed next to my choice

1 - Boyd v McCartin > Boyd once in a gen foward
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Petracca only just
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > cant split but i like billings more
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Bonts easy choice
5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > tricky one this both good players in there own right KK for me
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Sharenberg think people forget how talented he is
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish easy choice
8 - McDonald v Wright > Wright will be given time and develop well
9 - Salem v Moore > Salem dont think much of moore as a player
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Freeman both athletic freaks freeman for me
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11 - Sheed v Duggan > Sheed only just tho
12 - Lennon v Ellis > Lennon kicking is awesome will be a better player longterm
13 - Cripps v Weller > Weller
14 - McCarthy v Lever > Lever
15 - Jones v Garlett > Jones underrated player imo
16 - Lang v Durdin > Durdin Easy choice im certain geel would of picked durdin if it was a choice btwn the two
17 - Apeness v Langford > Apeness underrated foward will be a focal point for freo soon
18 - Dunstan v Heeney > Heeney but dunstan is a stud
19 - Acres v Boekhorst > Acres easy
20 - Leslie v Laverde > Laverde
21 - Impey v Goddard > goddard hugr value at 21

thoughts on some listed next to my choice

Your a WA man
Why Acres easy over Boekhorst?

Just when I thought this board couldn't get any more ridiculous!

Seriously, anything that tries to compare the two most recent drafts, even for gags, or rates the performance of clubs in the draft before the draftees have even played a single game, is just nonsensical garbage. It's like writing a movie critique having only seen the trailer.

For one, just imagine if Acres was still playing WAFL. Given that he showed enough once in an AFL club that they were willing to give him a 4 year contract after just one season (despite being injured for much of that season), at just turned 19yo, how do you reckon he'd likely be going at WAFL level by the age of 21, which Boekhorst was this year?

Blake was widely considered a "slider" at 19 (we were apparently shocked that he was still there) and almost certainly would have gone higher had it not been for his untimely injury, just prior to the champs in his draft year (when it sounds like he was in ripping form- he injured his shoulder and missed 5 weeks, then on return had 31 possies and 2 goals, then 28 possies and 3 goals the next week, then kicked a cracking goal from the boundary in the first 30 seconds of his first game at the champs, before re-injuring his shoulder a minute or so later- he played out the game with it and the next one, then had it immediately operated on, missing the rest of the champs and the year), whereas I'd suggest most who don't follow Carlton or work for Carlton consider that Boekhorst was a "reach" at 19 in his draft, hence I think most suggesting Acres, rightly or wrongly. The wraps on Acres from pretty much anyone from WA who follows the juniors closely on here were huge.

Attributes wise, Acres is listed as 4cm taller (190cm), 13kg heavier (despite being 2 years younger), would be more versatile (can play inside and out, forward or back, tallish or smaller), I dare say is better/stronger overhead (a real strength of his game- he played CHF when younger), is likely to have a really big tank (elite running is in the immediate family), while also having good if not very good speed, a big leap and excellent agility and by the sounds of it wins much more of his own ball (in his brief appearances at senior AFL level this year he won a good number of clearances and a whopping 69% of his possessions were contested, despite generally not playing an inside role!). He is also excellent defensively (his repeat tackling against you guys last season in particular was really impressive and he can apparently also defend well down back) and coming from a strong basketball background, just seems to have a real ability to work his way through traffic effortlessly and have more time than most, as others from a strong basketball background like Pendlebury and Dal Santo do.

He ticks a hell of a lot of boxes, both athletically and footy ability wise, so Boekhorst would also need to have a heap going for him to be as good as Acres has the potential to be, all things being equal.

You should see look at his post history prior to the Boyd trade being confirmed, then cross check it against his assessment of Boyd v McCartin in the OP. Makes for an interesting comparison, Boyd's ability seems to be on a massive decline since signing with the Dogs....

Remember his assessment of Liam Jones vs Tom Boyd on the Dogs board? Jones has a lot of potential, Boyd hasn't done much.

Your a WA man
Borkhorst will be a solid B grader for you guys think Simpson/ carrazzo type player and at 21 his scope for improvement is lower than acres. Acres is a freak great size ran a sub 3 sec 20m sprint as a 17 yr old pre injury. Has good skills and a penchant for the unexpected. Probably basing this decision more on potential but after all it is just my opinion :)

The father-son selections do skew it a little as both would've gone higher in an open draft. Why not fudge the numbers a little to put them against each other and their counterparts against each other?

1 - Boyd v McCartin > Boyd
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Petracca
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > Billings
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Bontempelli
5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > Kolodashnij
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Sharenberg
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish
F/S - McDonald v Moore > Moore
8/9 - Salem v Wright > Wright
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Freeman

For one, just imagine if Acres was still playing WAFL. Given that he showed enough once in an AFL club that they were willing to give him a 4 year contract after just one season (despite being injured for much of that season), at just turned 19yo, how do you reckon he'd likely be going at WAFL level by the age of 21, which Boekhorst was this year?

Blake was widely considered a "slider" at 19 (we were apparently shocked that he was still there) and almost certainly would have gone higher had it not been for his untimely injury, just prior to the champs in his draft year (when it sounds like he was in ripping form- he injured his shoulder and missed 5 weeks, then on return had 31 possies and 2 goals, then 28 possies and 3 goals the next week, then kicked a cracking goal from the boundary in the first 30 seconds of his first game at the champs, before re-injuring his shoulder a minute or so later- he played out the game with it and the next one, then had it immediately operated on, missing the rest of the champs and the year), whereas I'd suggest most who don't follow Carlton or work for Carlton consider that Boekhorst was a "reach" at 19 in his draft, hence I think most suggesting Acres, rightly or wrongly. The wraps on Acres from pretty much anyone from WA who follows the juniors closely on here were huge.

Attributes wise, Acres is listed as 4cm taller (190cm), 13kg heavier (despite being 2 years younger), would be more versatile (can play inside and out, forward or back, tallish or smaller), I dare say is better/stronger overhead (a real strength of his game- he played CHF when younger), is likely to have a really big tank (elite running is in the immediate family), while also having good if not very good speed, a big leap and excellent agility and by the sounds of it wins much more of his own ball (in his brief appearances at senior AFL level this year he won a good number of clearances and a whopping 69% of his possessions were contested, despite generally not playing an inside role!). He is also excellent defensively (his repeat tackling against you guys last season in particular was really impressive and he can apparently also defend well down back) and coming from a strong basketball background, just seems to have a real ability to work his way through traffic effortlessly and have more time than most, as others from a strong basketball background like Pendlebury and Dal Santo do.

He ticks a hell of a lot of boxes, both athletically and footy ability wise, so Boekhorst would also need to have a heap going for him to be as good as Acres has the potential to be, all things being equal.

Ok just haven't seen much of Acres, hope see him a lot this year

Most who aren't on BF and obsessed with teenage talent/consensus picks would acknowledge that Boekhorst cancelled a holiday to attend a medical screening.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-21/matureage-draft-bolter
The 21-year-old, who played 19 of 20 games this season for Swan Districts, flew to Melbourne this week to undergo a medical test for clubs at AFL House.

He had been due to go on a fishing trip near Broome, but instead was under the microscope of clubs, having had significant attention in the lead-up to the draft.

Boekhorst is believed to have attracted the interest of Collingwood and Carlton, with Fremantle another club linked to the 184cm on-baller.

Boekhorst was one of 12 players to have a medical on Tuesday, among them likely early draft selections Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw, Jake Lever and Peter Wright.

Rest of your post shows a heap of ignorance towards Boekhorst's game, versatility and attributes as a former volleyballer who doesn't lack athleticism, a good leap and speed. Rogers said he'd be one of our fastest players. We picked Boekhorst ahead of Laverde who had bigger wraps than Acres.

Height and weight doesn't mean much if you're talking about wingman-outside midfielders. Boekhorst is taller than Brad Hill, Yarran and Lewis Taylor. Same height as Billings who isn't a tall inside mid-flanker.

Your description of Acres could fit with Andrejs Everitt.

Borkhorst will be a solid B grader for you guys think Simpson/ carrazzo type player and at 21 his scope for improvement is lower than acres. Acres is a freak great size ran a sub 3 sec 20m sprint as a 17 yr old pre injury. Has good skills and a penchant for the unexpected. Probably basing this decision more on potential but after all it is just my opinion :)
So we can expect Boekhorst to...

Play at least 222 games
Win a B & F
Captain the club
Win the Jim Stynes medal after representing AA against Ireland.

Last edited:
In order of who I'd Take
  1. Tom Boyd
  2. Patrick McCartin
  3. Christian Pettracca
  4. Angus Brayshaw
  5. Darcy Moore
  6. Josh Kelly
  7. Jack Billings
  8. James Aish
  9. Isaac Heeney
  10. Jarrod Pickett
  11. Kade Kolodashnij
  12. Marcus Bontempelli
  13. Jordan De Goey
  14. Caleb Marchbank
  15. Mathew Scharenberg
  16. Luke McDonald
  17. Christian Salem
  18. Nathan Freeman
  19. Peter Wright
  20. Paul Ahern
  21. Nakia Cockatoo
  22. Liam Duggan
  23. Dom Sheed
  24. Ben Lennon
  25. Patrick Cripps
  26. Corey Ellis
  27. Lachie Weller
  28. Cameron Mcarthy
  29. Jarrod Garlett
  30. Jake Lever
  31. Zak Jones
  32. Sam Durdin
  33. Darcy Lang
  34. Luke Dunstan
  35. Blaine Boekhorst
  36. Jayden Laverde
  37. Kyle Langford
  38. Michael Appenes
  39. Blake Acres
  40. Hugh Goddard
  41. Jarman Impey
  42. Jack Leslie

Other player vs My player > My player

Why?

He's had a year in the system and was good/he hasn't played yet but showed better junior footy.

In order of who I'd Take
  1. Tom Boyd
  2. Patrick McCartin
  3. Christian Pettracca
  4. Angus Brayshaw
  5. Darcy Moore
  6. Josh Kelly
  7. Jack Billings
  8. James Aish
  9. Isaac Heeney
  10. Jarrod Pickett
  11. Kade Kolodashnij
  12. Marcus Bontempelli
  13. Jordan De Goey
  14. Caleb Marchbank
  15. Mathew Scharenberg
  16. Luke McDonald
  17. Christian Salem
  18. Nathan Freeman
  19. Peter Wright
  20. Paul Ahern
  21. Nakia Cockatoo
  22. Liam Duggan
  23. Dom Sheed
  24. Ben Lennon
  25. Patrick Cripps
  26. Corey Ellis
  27. Lachie Weller
  28. Cameron Mcarthy
  29. Jarrod Garlett
  30. Jake Lever
  31. Zak Jones
  32. Sam Durdin
  33. Darcy Lang
  34. Luke Dunstan
  35. Blaine Boekhorst
  36. Jayden Laverde
  37. Kyle Langford
  38. Michael Appenes
  39. Blake Acres
  40. Hugh Goddard
  41. Jarman Impey
  42. Jack Leslie
Looks like squizzy Taylor will slide again and win the rising star again ;)

Most who aren't on BF and obsessed with teenage talent/consensus picks would acknowledge that Boekhorst cancelled a holiday to attend a medical screening.
What the **** does canceling a holiday to attend a medical screening have to do with anything and in particular whether he is going to be/likely to be better than Acres or not, which is the question at hand here!?

As for the part you highlighted, did you actually read what I wrote before highlighting it? I was simply pointing out, RIGHTLY OR WRONGLY, as I said, why I'd suggest most would be going with Acres, especially since he is the one who has actually spent a year at an AFL club already (despite being two years younger) and showed some really good signs in his brief appearances at AFL level and in particular at senior VFL level, at just 18yo, which is generally a very good sign of things to come. He wasn't given an almost unheard of (for us, in recent years) 4 year contract, just for laughs. There are no guarantees of course, but there are none with Boekhorst either, I wouldn't have thought.

Rest of your post shows a heap of ignorance towards Boekhorst's game, versatility and attributes as a former volleyballer who doesn't lack athleticism, a good leap and speed. Rogers said he'd be one of our fastest players.
How does it show ignorance towards Boekhorst's game? For one I said that Acres would be more versatile, given that he has proven that he can play both inside and out (compared to Boekhorst who is meant to be pretty much exclusively outside) and has proven that he can play both forward (has previously played CHF, as well as HFF, etc) and back (has played both on the flanks, in a "quarterback" type role and also in key defence) and that he can play both "tallish" and small, so do you disagree that that all makes him more versatile than Boekhorst?

It's no insult to someone to say they are less versatile than someone that has as much versatility as Acres does and it certainly doesn't mean that they aren't versatile themselves, so there's no need for you to be getting so defensive.

I also said I expect that Acres would be stronger overhead, which I very much expect to be the case, as Blake has terrific hands overhead, with marking a real feature of his game, having played CHF when younger and having not heard about marking being a real strength of Boekhorst's game. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on Acres likely being stronger overhead though.

As for the rest of my post, it was basically just pointing out Acres attributes, so that Gillo or anyone else that isn't that aware of them would know what he brings to the table. I know Boekhorst has some real speed and skills, which is why you drafted him, but at least on paper I think that Acres probably brings more to the table, hence so many of those who have seen a lot of him being so bullish about him. Doesn't guarantee anything of course though and maybe Boekhorst will go on to win 3 Brownlows and Blake won't end up doing much, so we'll wait and see.

Height and weight doesn't mean much if you're talking about wingman-outside midfielders.
It does if they are able to take a lot of marks around the ground thanks to that height advantage and are also able to push forward to create a height/strength mismatch inside the forward 50, as Acres ought to be able to do, when playing on either on the wing, or in the guts.

Your description of Acres could fit with Andrejs Everitt.
Acres is somewhat similar with Everitt, but only in some ways and I'm not sure that Everitt has the sort of composure and time with the ball in traffic that Acres has, or the same ball-winning ability or class. I note that Everitt has only had 20 or more possies 9 times in his 8 seasons, with a career high of 23, whereas Acres is someone who apparently has no trouble racking up the stats. Acres (190cm) is probably more of a cross between Everitt (194cm) and Farren Ray (187cm- who has had 20-39 possies 90 times at AFL level and is likewise very strong overhead for someone who plays wing), but with much more of an inside/contested/clearance game than Ray has and likely with much more potential to be a threat forward of centre than Ray has ever been.

So, who would you take out of the two and for what reason/s?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok just haven't seen much of Acres, hope see him a lot this year
That's fair enough, almost identically to Cripps for you guys, he only played basically a game and a half for us at senior level (the half game against you guys, when he had 10 possies (9 listed as contested), 1 goal, 2 clearances, 2 inside 50's and 5 tackles), after he had a late start to the season, due to a preseason injury and he then injured himself just a few mins after being subbed on in his 3rd game for us and didn't play again for the rest of the year, from memory.

It took him no time at all to really impress the club at senior VFL level once he returned from his late preseason injury though and was whipped into our senior team after only about 3 VFL games, so it's obvious that the club really rate him, hence the extremely rare (for us) 4 year deal (which was also I imagine to keep him out of the clutches of the WA teams).

If he gets his body in shape this year he is one that (like Cripps, after his season last year was likewise ruined by injury) could potentially give the Rising Star award a big shake, if he finds his feet quickly and finds a spot in our team.

BTW, do you deliberately want to cut off half of Kreuzer's head in your avatar? If not, when you go into "avatar" you just put your mouse over the photo of him and scroll the picture down, so that his head shows properly, then when it is positioned as you want it, you scroll the side bar at the right down and click on "okay", or "close" and it will hopefully show up in your avatar the way you want it.

Last edited:
In order of who I'd Take
  1. Tom Boyd
  2. Patrick McCartin
  3. Christian Pettracca
  4. Angus Brayshaw
  5. Darcy Moore
  6. Josh Kelly
  7. Jack Billings
  8. James Aish
  9. Isaac Heeney
  10. Jarrod Pickett
  11. Kade Kolodashnij
  12. Marcus Bontempelli
  13. Jordan De Goey
  14. Caleb Marchbank
  15. Mathew Scharenberg
  16. Luke McDonald
  17. Christian Salem
  18. Nathan Freeman
  19. Peter Wright
  20. Paul Ahern
  21. Nakia Cockatoo
  22. Liam Duggan
  23. Dom Sheed
  24. Ben Lennon
  25. Patrick Cripps
  26. Corey Ellis
  27. Lachie Weller
  28. Cameron Mcarthy
  29. Jarrod Garlett
  30. Jake Lever
  31. Zak Jones
  32. Sam Durdin
  33. Darcy Lang
  34. Luke Dunstan
  35. Blaine Boekhorst
  36. Jayden Laverde
  37. Kyle Langford
  38. Michael Appenes
  39. Blake Acres
  40. Hugh Goddard
  41. Jarman Impey
  42. Jack Leslie
Bonti at 12???? I'd take him at 1. Most unique talent I can recall coming into the league.

I know this is all just a game but it should be noted that Wright, Salem, and Duggan are stiff to be compared to McDonald, Moore, and Heeney who were F/S or Academy selections who likely would have gone 3 to 4 places higher in an open draft (and in Heeney's case, possible 17 picks higher).

I know this is all just a game but it should be noted that Wright, Salem, and Duggan are stiff to be compared to McDonald, Moore, and Heeney who were F/S or Academy selections who likely would have gone 3 to 4 places higher in an open draft (and in Heeney's case, possible 17 picks higher).

It's Dunstan against Heeney, not Duggan.

Just a bit of fun, thread has no merit at all

I understand that Lang has only played a 1/2 of AFL footy but he played VFL all year last year. Not a single vote.

Will be very interesting in about 12 months time I feel.

GO Catters

I understand that Lang has only played a 1/2 of AFL footy but he played VFL all year last year. Not a single vote.

Will be very interesting in about 12 months time I feel.

GO Catters
For this exercise a slider like Durdin will get the popular vote over a Stephen Wells special like Lang.

I understand its off-season but I don't understand the relevance of this thread. Fine to have this thread at the end of 2015,when we have seen the 2014 draftees. As is stands now you can't compare 2013 against 2014.

2012 v 2013 then?

1: Whitfield v Boyd -> Boyd (always take the big man)
2: O'Rourke v Kelly -> Kelly (easily)
3: Plowman v Billings -> Billings (just)
4: Toumpas v Bontempelli -> Bontempelli (by a street)
5: Stringer v Kolodjsahnij -> Stringer (though less potential)
6: Macrae v Scharenberg -> Macrae (injuries)
7: Wines v Aish -> Wines (tough one)
8: Mayes v McDonald -> McDonald (tough one)
9: Vlastuin v Salem -> Vlastuin (has shown more)
10: Daniher v Freeman -> Daniher (always take the big man)
--
11: Menzel v Sheed -> Sheed (toss up)
12: Jaksch v Lennon -> Jaksch (toss up)
13: Lonergan v Cripps -> Lonergan (by a bit)
14: Corr v McCarthy -> Corr (toss up for GWS fans)
15: Garner v Jones -> Jones (toss up)
16: Thurlow v Lang -> Thurlow (toss up for Cats fans)
17: Simpson v Apeness -> Apeness (toss up for Freo fans)
18: Grundy v Dunstan -> Dunstan (tough one but I'm biased)
19: Kennedy v Acres -> Kennedy (but has less potential)
20: Broomhead v Leslie -> Broomhead (by a bit)

2012 v 2013 then?

1: Whitfield v Boyd -> Boyd (always take the big man)
2: O'Rourke v Kelly -> Kelly (easily)
3: Plowman v Billings -> Billings (just)
4: Toumpas v Bontempelli -> Bontempelli (by a street)
5: Stringer v Kolodjsahnij -> Stringer (though less potential)
6: Macrae v Scharenberg -> Macrae (injuries)
7: Wines v Aish -> Wines (tough one)
8: Mayes v McDonald -> McDonald (tough one)
9: Vlastuin v Salem -> Vlastuin (has shown more)
10: Daniher v Freeman -> Daniher (always take the big man)
--
11: Menzel v Sheed -> Sheed (toss up)
12: Jaksch v Lennon -> Jaksch (toss up)
13: Lonergan v Cripps -> Lonergan (by a bit)
14: Corr v McCarthy -> Corr (toss up for GWS fans)
15: Garner v Jones -> Jones (toss up)
16: Thurlow v Lang -> Thurlow (toss up for Cats fans)
17: Simpson v Apeness -> Apeness (toss up for Freo fans)
18: Grundy v Dunstan -> Dunstan (tough one but I'm biased)
19: Kennedy v Acres -> Kennedy (but has less potential)
20: Broomhead v Leslie -> Broomhead (by a bit)
4 dogs in the top 6. Definitely some elite young talent rolling through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2013 v 2014 Draftees, who would you take

Remove this Banner Ad

Back