List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong and West Coast will not take Wright if he is available. WC want Pickett and Geelong want a mid and apparently its Weller at the top of their list to replace the pace they've lost.

If GWS pass on Wright (highly unlikely) he should fall to us and there's no chance we pass on him. He has a higher upside then Mcbean and Elton who have both had plenty of time to show improvement and should release us to either trade Vickery next year or spend a year learning off one of the best in the business in Maric.

We should be able to take a mid with our second rounder. Plus the club is hoping to attract a star midfielder in next years FA. Right now Cameron will not be leaving GWS but it's more likely a gun mid will eg. Sheil Dangerfield Shuey Rich.

Why would Geelong pass on Wright but not us? I understand they've got Vardy, Simpson, Blicavs, Clarke, Stanley, Hawkins and McIntosh, but we've got nearly as many talls ourselves, and ours are younger/less injury prone.

Why would Geelong pass on Wright but not us? I understand they've got Vardy, Simpson, Blicavs, Clarke, Stanley, Hawkins and McIntosh, but we've got nearly as many talls ourselves, and ours are younger/less injury prone.
Compare those names to our talls. Only Maric, Riewoldt...Vickery are proven.
Majority of those talls are all proven. So will all fight for a game straight away meaning Wright would be a mile away. And plus they have Hawkins who is a very similar player.

We don't need an Ellis. But a viojo-rainbow and a cockatoo would instantly add to our team uniquness

If we went the **** - viojo double our team would triple in uniqueness

Compare those names to our talls. Only Maric, Riewoldt...Vickery are proven.
Majority of those talls are all proven. So will all fight for a game straight away meaning Wright would be a mile away. And plus they have Hawkins who is a very similar player.

Wait... So guys like Clarke, Stanley, Simpson, McIntosh and Vardy are proven, but ours aren't? C'mon. Clarke has just come back to football from a severe bout of depression, nothing certain about his future. Stanley has shown less than Vickery and even Griffiths for that matter. Simpson is a lumbering plodder. McIntosh is aging and injury prone, and Vardy rarely gets on the park. Hawkins is just about the only certainty out of that lot to have a serious impact in the future. And he's not a similar player to Wright btw - Wright is more an arc roamer. Hawkins a traditional FF.

Wait... So guys like Clarke, Stanley, Simpson, McIntosh and Vardy are proven, but ours aren't? C'mon. Clarke has just come back to football from a severe bout of depression, nothing certain about his future. Stanley has shown less than Vickery and even Griffiths for that matter. Simpson is a lumbering plodder. McIntosh is aging and injury prone, and Vardy rarely gets on the park. Hawkins is just about the only certainty out of that lot to have a serious impact in the future. And he's not a similar player to Wright btw - Wright is more an arc roamer. Hawkins a traditional FF.
I guess with Geelong they just lost 2 pacy mids and added 2 200cm KPF's already this off-season. Wouldn't surprise me either way with their decision on Wright.

I'm pretty sure Hawkins, Blicsavs, Clarke, Mcintosh, Stanley and Simpson are all further along then Mcbean, Elton,and even Griffiths.
He would be behind all those plus Vardy when he comes back from injury.

You're telling me we should be content with
Riewoldt- ok
Ivan-29 with probably 3 seasons before a decline
Griffiths- should be a good prospect for next season back, Ruck or forward
Vickery- headcase, has become a joke around the league, not a very good rap ruckman and has become a liability to the team.
Hampson?- sorry case, cannot believe we gave away a 2nd rounder for him. Terrible blunder by our recruiters.
Who else has proven anything from our talls? (Not including back men, which you could easily put Griff in)
If anything I think we should be looking KP before a midfielder as our KP stocks are so unproven and the ones we are apparently relying on we're fairly lowly rated in the first place.

I'm pretty sure Hawkins, Blicsavs, Clarke, Mcintosh, Stanley and Simpson are all further along then Mcbean, Elton,and even Griffiths.
He would be behind all those plus Vardy when he comes back from injury.

You're telling me we should be content with
Riewoldt- ok
Ivan-29 with probably 3 seasons before a decline
Griffiths- should be a good prospect for next season back, Ruck or forward
Vickery- headcase, has become a joke around the league, not a very good rap ruckman and has become a liability to the team.
Hampson?- sorry case, cannot believe we gave away a 2nd rounder for him. Terrible blunder by our recruiters.
Who else has proven anything from our talls? (Not including back men, which you could easily put Griff in)
If anything I think we should be looking KP before a midfielder as our KP stocks are so unproven and the ones we are apparently relying on we're fairly lowly rated in the first place.

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said we should be content with our KP stocks, in fact I think if Wright is there we should absolutely take him. I'm just saying that I don't think the Cats should or would pass on him, which you categorically stated they would. I'm not sold on their tall stocks and I'd be surprised if those running the Cattery were either. I'm aware they lost Christensen and Varcoe this off season so they need an injection of pace, but Christensen barely played this year and Varcoe is ordinary. I reckon Wells would back himself to find adequate replacements with their other picks. Let's not forget he's possibly the best recruiter in the league with late round picks and quality smalls are generally easier to find at that stage than quality talls.

Like a previous poster said. I don't see Geelong taking 3 KP players this off season with already having a surpluss of ruck stocks and talls in forward line. Plus they're midfielde leaders are aging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we should pass up on a 203cm 100kg monster Key forward/ruckman who was rated as the number one pick overall because it's ok We've got Tyronne, Mcbean and Elton. They should take care of things.
He was so good he would still get picked at 1.
You have to ask yourself why will he slide so far? Only problem with big guys is will they dominate once they play against key backmen their own size.
Doesn't he have issues with clunking marks with one grab?

Like a previous poster said. I don't see Geelong taking 3 KP players this off season with already having a surpluss of ruck stocks and talls in forward line. Plus they're midfielde leaders are aging.
If wright is there at our pick. What a decision to make. Its the type of decision that we could look back on like the pav - buddy ones. Hopefully not though. If we don't take him, you would hope it was it because we took a talent like weller. Who i think is a top 5 talent. But if we were to take a duggan or ellis over him...

He was so good he would still get picked at 1.
You have to ask yourself why will he slide so far? Only problem with big guys is will they dominate once they play against key backmen their own size.
Doesn't he have issues with clunking marks with one grab?
I don't think he will slide past gws at 7. But if he does it will be because of teams being high on a player of need. Eg Pickett to WC, Weller to Geelong

We need to go best available at Pick 12, if Wright is there then take him and work out the list balance later. If all our KPP are confirmed AFL quality and we have a surplus then KPP trade for a bigger return anyway so we can use their currency at the trade table in the next year or two. The reality is our first pick this year is unlikely to have an impact in 2015-2016 so just take the best player for the future. Maybe we do something like moving Griffiths onto a wing, he's already pretty mobile and could play that Richo role if we work on his tank. I see Vickery as a long term replacement for Maric anyway. So that leaves Riewoldt, McBean & Wright with Griffiths as a utility. All very different players and could be a very tough forward line to defend against.

Listening to the podcast with Callum Twomey he doesn't give a definitive phantom but he suggests:

1. Saints: Petracca/ McCartin
2. Melbourne: Brayshaw
3. Melbourne: Petracca/ McCartin
4. GWS: Pickett/ Marchbank/ Goddard
5. Collingwood: De Goey/ Laverde/ Ahern/ Lever
6. GWS: Pickett/ Marchbank/ Goddard
7. GWS: Pickett/ Marchbank/ Goddard
8. GC: Pickett/ Weller/ Wright
9. Collingwood: Moore
10. Geelong: Pickett/ Wright/ De Goey/ Marchbank/ Goodard/ Duggan
11. WCE: Cockatoo
12. Richmond: De Goey/ Weller/ Duggan/ Ellis

Listening to the podcast with Callum Twomey he doesn't give a definitive phantom but he suggests:

Interesting that he's only got Lever as a possibility to Collingwood along with 3 others. I wonder if he could slide?

Well it seems as if Goddard and Marchbank are the two that have really come to the fore - and potentially overtaking Lever. However, he did mention that Lever finished the Noosa Triathlon over this past weekend which is an amazing feat considering he is 12 months removed from an ACL.

If Goddard and Marchbank are rated that highly by GWS, it is not too small a mean feat to suggest that Lever would be there or there abouts.

Also interesting was that it sounds as if Laverde could slip too. The Pies have apparently 'cooled' on him, and may take Lever, but more likely go De Goey or Ahern. It sounds to me that the Pies and GWS will set up this draft.

If Laverde is available, do Gold Coast make the move? Ditto with Lever.

More I look at it, and the more discourse that surrounds this draft, it sounds if we will have multiple players slip to our pick.

EDIT:

It could go something like this:

1. Petracca
2. Brayshaw
3. McCartin
4. Pickett
5. De Goey
6. Lever
7. Goddard
8. Laverde
9. Moore
10. Wright
11. Cockatoo
12. Ahern, Weller, Marchbank, Duggan all available.

Well it seems as if Goddard and Marchbank are the two that have really come to the fore - and potentially overtaking Lever. However, he did mention that Lever finished the Noosa Triathlon over this past weekend which is an amazing feat considering he is 12 months removed from an ACL.

If Goddard and Marchbank are rated that highly by GWS, it is not too small a mean feat to suggest that Lever would be there or there abouts.

Also interesting was that it sounds as if Laverde could slip too. The Pies have apparently 'cooled' on him, and may take Lever, but more likely go De Goey or Ahern. It sounds to me that the Pies and GWS will set up this draft.

If Laverde is available, do Gold Coast make the move? Ditto with Lever.

More I look at it, and the more discourse that surrounds this draft, it sounds if we will have multiple players slip to our pick.

EDIT:

It could go something like this:

1. Petracca
2. Brayshaw
3. McCartin
4. Pickett
5. De Goey
6. Lever
7. Goddard
8. Laverde
9. Moore
10. Wright
11. Cockatoo
12. Ahern, Weller, Marchbank, Duggan all available.

giphy.gif

If Laverde slipped through to us (1% chance) then that would be insane to pass him up. I don't see that happening though.
I think we'll take a Mid and it will be out of Weller,De Goey, Duggen or Ellis. I'm getting the feeling were heavy into Weller or Duggen.

So from that it would seem the only two teams that could take Wright would be GC and Geelong.
Would Gold Coast want a KP player?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back