List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Blakely's 20m sprint is poor for a mid. Not saying he is bad but our midfield is quite one paced we need to add some outside run and speed desperately.
Agree that we need outside speed, however, quite a few of the pressers coming out of the RFC website suggest we will go for Mids, an extractor first and speed later. The suggestion is that we will target a contested ball winner first to free up Martin, Deledio, Ellis, Conca and Cotchin for a more outside role. This initially was our plan for Jack Trengove, but with that falling through the initial philosophy remains. Competitiveness, good kicking, endurance and solid character have been put forward as the central tenets of our recruitment strategy there will be quite a few options at 12 to fit these criteria. Given our tenets and his potential role, I don't think Blakely's sprint times will be much of a consideration. Greg Williams, Michael Voss and Jobe Watson would not be names put forward for the grand final sprint unless for ironic purposes. I just think out of all the inside players in the draft, the vision available of him has impressed me most. Is there anyone here that can comment from seeing him play first hand?

I have heard Francis is right into Duggan.
Looks like Pickett will go to GWS, Weller to GC & De Goey/LaVerde to Coll/GWS.

Interesting. I've heard the opposite re. Weller. Bad blood after Mav's experience.

Not surprising FJ loves Duggan though. Cheers for the scoop.

Little from Column A and a little from Column B

It would make sense. Duggan is a lovely kick and plenty of other things, but Ahern has that pace, agility and x-factor we're crying out for. Plus he's probably more of a 'pure mid' at this stage.
I'd stricken him out of calculations for our pick because of tigs2010's assertion that he'd be gone. But if GWS are taking Pickett, the Cats Wright, Eagles Cockatoo, it's easy to imagine he'll be available.

This draft is doing my head in...

Duggen looks ok but just another HBF type. Would love to see us get our hands on Weller.

If Wright is there we have to take him, but will be interesting as then we have to fit Wright, Vickery, Griff and McBean into our 22.
Imo we do need a genuine kicker/runner from the back half to replace newy.

Imo we do need a genuine kicker/runner from the back half to replace newy.

Probably easier to find that type later in the draft. Viojo-Rainbow, Wigg, Nelson and McKenzie are all about second rounders, and guys like Grace and Glenn are options even later on.

I don't see Duggan as a back flanker though tbh. More of a Dal Santo type mid eventually.

Geelong couldn't possibly take wright they have 6 ruckman on the list vardy Macintosh Simpson blicsas Clarke and Stanley . They are more likely to take durdin, west coast won't take him either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong couldn't possibly take wright they have 6 ruckman on the list vardy Macintosh Simpson blicsas Clarke and Stanley . They are more likely to take durdin, west coast won't take him either

That's the same reason why we wouldn't take him, yet most would still want us to if he were there. Wells is too clever to let Wright through his fingers IMO

That's the same reason why we wouldn't take him, yet most would still want us to if he were there. Wells is too clever to let Wright through his fingers IMO
Added to this Wright at this stage is considered a better forward than ruckmen, which until this off-season was a real weakness for them, and Clark and Stanley are no sure things as a solution. The temptation will be for them to take a Goddard or Durdin looking at the age of their defence, however they would be brave to overlook Wright. If they take him improves our chances of getting Weller at least!

Geelong and West Coast will not take Wright if he is available. WC want Pickett and Geelong want a mid and apparently its Weller at the top of their list to replace the pace they've lost.

If GWS pass on Wright (highly unlikely) he should fall to us and there's no chance we pass on him. He has a higher upside then Mcbean and Elton who have both had plenty of time to show improvement and should release us to either trade Vickery next year or spend a year learning off one of the best in the business in Maric.

We should be able to take a mid with our second rounder. Plus the club is hoping to attract a star midfielder in next years FA. Right now Cameron will not be leaving GWS but it's more likely a gun mid will eg. Sheil Dangerfield Shuey Rich.

Agree that we need outside speed, however, quite a few of the pressers coming out of the RFC website suggest we will go for Mids, an extractor first and speed later. The suggestion is that we will target a contested ball winner first to free up Martin, Deledio, Ellis, Conca and Cotchin for a more outside role. This initially was our plan for Jack Trengove, but with that falling through the initial philosophy remains. Competitiveness, good kicking, endurance and solid character have been put forward as the central tenets of our recruitment strategy there will be quite a few options at 12 to fit these criteria. Given our tenets and his potential role, I don't think Blakely's sprint times will be much of a consideration. Greg Williams, Michael Voss and Jobe Watson would not be names put forward for the grand final sprint unless for ironic purposes. I just think out of all the inside players in the draft, the vision available of him has impressed me most. Is there anyone here that can comment from seeing him play first hand?

Would you say his lack of sprint time needs to be compensated with creating time and space?

If so I was taken by his comment on the AFL draft hub when he said he makes up for his current size against bigger opponents in the WAFL by timing the moment.

Indications of quick thinking, good awareness, reading the play well?

I think he ticks those things you mention - competitiveness, good kicking etc

Like that his footy isn't all about him. Seems very aware of his team mates and the likely options to advance the ball even as he's going in for possession.

Like the way his eyes light up for the ball, whether it's his for the taking or in the opposition's hands he's on to it.

Like the way he finds a way to hold up the ball and release to advantage in congestion, doesn't panic and times it right even as he's being tackled.

Needless to say I just like Blakely. :)

He wants to be seen as silky and skillful at AFL level and I think he has a natural intuitiveness for the former and a good base in the latter to work on. Lot of upside to Blakely.

This is the most unpridictable draft in a long time.
Wright is the right fit for us.
Jack is 26 and has 5-7 years left in him. By the time Jack goes Wright will be 22-24 and about to hit his prime.
If Wright is there at 12 we simply can not let him pass.

This is the most unpridictable draft in a long time.
Wright is the right fit for us.
Jack is 26 and has 5-7 years left in him. By the time Jack goes Wright will be 22-24 and about to hit his prime.
If Wright is there at 12 we simply can not let him pass.

Que, Gandelph on the stone bridge:p;)

Dont lie !! You told me you like Cockor2

Given your tag _EAD_ ,THE_GUN couldn't resist but it was kinda like watching someone walk into a revolving door. Funny as long as it's not you....:confused::p;)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back